Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there enough games to justify a purchase of a Saturn?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Are there enough games to justify a purchase of a Saturn?

I'm rethinking if selling my Saturn was a good idea. I had Virtua Cop and Virtua Cop 2, but that's about it, and nothing else really seemed to interest me, well I'm sure some stuff did, but I didn't care much for it. So, I got some questions hopefully a few of you can answer.

1.) How much would it cost me if I wanted to buy a complete Saturn?

2.) I hear there are more then one versions of the system, is there a specific one that is better, I don't care much for rarity, but what's the difference?

3.) Are there enough GOOD exclusive games to verify a purchase? I hear good things about some Nights game, and the Panzer Dragoon's, but anything else? Was there any games that were actually better then they were on the PSX?

Thanks again.
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i would truthfully say , unless you love RPG's, the only way you will get a ton of enjoyment out of your saturn is by importing. he saturn was AWESOME in japan.
    BLAST AWAY AND GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

1. Go to www.ncsx.com

2. Buy an Action Replay 4 in 1

3. Import the following:

Vampire Savior
    X-Men vs. Street Fighter
    Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
    Pocket Fighter
    King of Fighters '96
    King of Fighters '97
    Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
    Sega Ages series
    Capcom Generation series
    Gradius Deluxe Pack
    Salamander Deluxe Pack
    Parodius Deluxe Pack
    Twinbee Deluxe Pack
    Konami Antiques MSX Collection Ultra Pack
    Castlevania Dracula X
    Sexy Parodius

Off the top of my head.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1.) How much would it cost me if I wanted to buy a complete Saturn?

Between $25 and $40 is about average for a complete Saturn. I've seen them in thrift stores for $10.

2.) I hear there are more then one versions of the system, is there a specific one that is better, I don't care much for rarity, but what's the difference?

There are two versions released in the States: the early model is identified by oval buttons on the top of the unit and a disc access light, and the later model has circle bottons and no light. I don't think there are any significant differences between the two (unlike PSX models).

3.) Are there enough GOOD exclusive games to verify a purchase? I hear good things about some Nights game, and the Panzer Dragoon's, but anything else? Was there any games that were actually better then they were on the PSX?

The Saturn is my second favorite sytem behind the Dreamcast, so I think there are a lot of great games. If you like action games, there are the Panzer Dragoon games, Guardian Heroes, Nights, Burning Rangers. There are tons of great RPGs, such as Shining the Holy Ark, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon Saga and Grandia.

Where the Saturn really shines, though, is in the shoot 'em up department. The Saturn got perfect ports of most of the major shoot 'em ups of the mid-to-late 90s, including Soukyugurentai, Battle Garegga, Radient Silvergun, Thunderforce V, Layer Section and DoDonPachi. Unfortunatly, most of these stayed in Japan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Those expecting Dracula X to blow them away will be sorely disappointed. Should've been called "SD DRACURA" thanks to all the fat, badly resized sprites. There's no transparency (really not a MAJOR issue, but something you'd think the Saturn could handle) and the new areas aren't much to lust after either. Thanks to the too-high price tag (I think it's still in the $50 range for a decent to mint copy), I would recommend giving this one a pass.

Now, Assault Suits Leynos 2 is great. Those looking for a great, virtually impossible to find RPG should treat themselves to Azel Panzer Dragoon RPG (Japanese version of PD Saga!), just be ready to do some intense coursework if you're no Japanese speaker :P I think it's just cool to own, personally. Neither of these games will break the bank and they're not to be found on the PlayStation (for reasonable money) in Japan or otherwise.

For domestic stuff, you might want to check out Defenders of Oasis (well, it's an Oasis game, anyhow...I might have the name confused with the GG game's). It's a prequel to Beyond Oasis, the much-loved Genesis game.

There's also Segata Sanshiro SHIKENYUGI!!!11, the famous collection of crazy games all about everybody's favorite spokesman (he's even better than Tony El Tigre in my opinon!). Plus it comes with a ton of the old Saturn commercials right on the disc. Again, won't break the bank, though it's more expensive than the other two.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Yashiro
    1. Go to www.ncsx.com

Can that boot backups?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1.) $15 or more.
    2.) Correct. Model 1 has oval buttons and the infamously bad model 1 controller. Model 2 has round buttons and the better model 2 controller. Both function the same and you can still find mod chips for the model 2 Saturns
    3.)Yes!!!!!!! http://www.sega-saturn.com/reviews.htm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To be honest if I'm going to have to import games to get the most out of a system, I'd rather not have it at all.

If there are enough games in the Action, Adventure, Platformer, and maybe even RPG genre then I'd be willing to fork over my cash.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

theres more than enuff good US releases to fill your needs....id die without my saturn...it is true that if you can take advantage of importing it will be much more worth it..but dont pass it over, pick one up...with games like panzer dragoon, nights, enemy zero, virtua fighter just to name a few, you can't go wrong
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't forget our very own top 20 list

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1594

A great starter list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alright after looking through the list of games, I might actually consider the system if someone can help me with this.

- NBA Jam T.E
    Is it better then the Genny and SNES versions?

- Mortal Kombat 3 Ultimate
    One of my favorite fighting games of all time, if the version out performs the SNES version then I'd be more then willing to buy a Saturn.

- Spot Goes To Hollywood
    Loved Cool Spot for SNES, this one any good either? I can't belive it was even made...

- Duke Nukem 3D
    Any other console versions better then this?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    squidlike

I see a lot of Japanese Saturn's for sale on Ebay, and I have a question about that. Can they easily plug into a TV set here in the states? Or are there any special power requirements? I am somewhat of an idiot when it comes to things like that.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dbiersdorf
    Alright after looking through the list of games, I might actually consider the system if someone can help me with this.

- NBA Jam T.E

One of my favorite fighting games of all time, if the version out performs the SNES version then I'd be more then willing to buy a Saturn.

- Spot Goes To Hollywood
    Loved Cool Spot for SNES, this one any good either? I can't belive it was even made...

- Duke Nukem 3D
    ok, don't listen to me, but, ooooh, another one of those gamers is here...

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stressboy
    I see a lot of Japanese Saturn's for sale on Ebay, and I have a question about that. Can they easily plug into a TV set here in the states? Or are there any special power requirements? I am somewhat of an idiot when it comes to things like that.
    you can hook it up no prob, japan uses close enough to the same electrical current as US, so systems work fine, just unplug them when your done. as for the tv cables and stuff, no prob once again.
    BLAST AWAY AND GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by dbiersdorf

- NBA Jam T.E

- Spot Goes To Hollywood

- Duke Nukem 3D
    If those are the games you like, they can all be had pretty cheaply on the Saturn, so go for it.

I have a significant collection for about 10 machines, and the Saturn is the one I most often consider unloading. I never play the US Saturn games. Virtua Cop 2, Darius Gaiden, and Galactic Attack are pretty good, but not good enough to anchor an entire collection. Panzer Dragoon Saga is great but it's not the kind of game you go back to.

Imports however, are a different story, and really the only reason I hold on to my Saturn collection. I'm still waiting for a 128-bit shooter that's nearly as good as Radiant Silvergun or Soukyugurentai. Pocket Fighter, Street Fighter Zero 3, and Space Invaders are just good games to have even though they're done on other systems/MAME.

When you speak of "importing" games, you sound like you are talking about actually having the games shipped from Japan. All the games I mentioned above can be purchased in the US for $50 or less with the obvious exception of RS. A Saturn import converter is not that hard to find, and conveniently plugs right into the cartridge slot.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    squidlike

Quote Originally Posted by max 330 mega
    Quote Originally Posted by stressboy
    you can hook it up no prob, japan uses close enough to the same electrical current as US, so systems work fine, just unplug them when your done. as for the tv cables and stuff, no prob once again.
    Thanks

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Those expecting Dracula X to blow them away will be sorely disappointed. Should've been called "SD DRACURA" thanks to all the fat, badly resized sprites. There's no transparency (really not a MAJOR issue, but something you'd think the Saturn could handle) and the new areas aren't much to lust after either. Thanks to the too-high price tag (I think it's still in the $50 range for a decent to mint copy), I would recommend giving this one a pass.
    I heard the same from a trusted associate. This was on my want list for a while because I like SOTN, but now it's off. Beware!

The Saturn version of Wipeout XL is bad too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nights: into Dreams singlehandedly justifies the purchase of the console a dozen times over. Buy it. Love it. Come back here and thank me.

End.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigGeorgeJohnson
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Yashiro
    1. Go to www.ncsx.com

Can that boot backups?
    no
    *insert signature >here<*

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When people talk about the Saturn, the discussion always turns to importing. Sure, many of the best games are import-only, but the selection of US released titles is more than decent. Here are some of the awesome US-released titles in my collection- in all cases the Saturn version is either exclusive or better than the competing version(s):

Nights
    Shining Force III
    Panzer Dragon Zwei
    Street Fighter Alpha 2
    Guardian Heroes
    Shining the Holy Ark
    Mega Man 8
    Digital Pinball : Last Gladiators
    Saturn Bomberman
    Sega Rally Championship
    Virtua Fighter 2