Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Default Collecting sealed games, NON-NES

A recent thrift store find of a sealed copy of Herzog Zwei got me thinking. It seems pretty easy to find people who collect sealed NES games. To a lesser extent, I know there are people who collect sealed 2600 games. I'm just curious about other systems. Are there that many people collecting sealed Genny or Saturn games, for instance? I'm sure there are, but I'm wondering what the scene is as it seems there's a ton of info out there for the sealed NES collector but I haven't stumbled across that much for other systems.

So, do you collect sealed games for a system other than the NES?

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll buy sealed games for any system as long as it's cheap anuff. Mainly because you never know what people on Ebay are going to spend on a new copy down the road.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I collect sealed Dreamcast games, in fact, all 247 official titles, mainly because I had the chance to horde them all when they were cheap.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My interests are pretty focussed on NES, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think there's a fair number of sealed PSX and SNES collectors also. Not so much for the other systems.

Taking genesis as an example since you brought up Herzog Zwei.... I saw a sealed HZ sell on ebay not too long ago for barely more than a complete. That tells me that there aren't too many sealed Genesis collectors since I think that would be one of the more desirable titles.

I think another issue with collecting sealed games for some of these less popular systems is that they are easier to reseal. Those hard plastic cases on the genesis games protected condition awfully well, so there aren't as many tell tale marks. Also, my understanding is that genesis games were legitimately sealed any number of ways back in the day, so how do you even know if it's legit unless you bought it yourself?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't collect any sealed games, but I would say Dreamcast is the 3rd most popular system to collect sealed games for after Atari 2600.

Other systems I've heard of people collecting sealed games for include 5200, 7800 and SNES. Of course for some systems like the O2 I'm pretty sure the games never were sealed.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

There are people who do, but not to the extent that they do NES. One reason is Genesis has no 'line' as proof of originality and whatnot. I had a very convincing Cyborg Justice sealed, but I had my doubts. Cracked it open, and it was clearly a reseal. :\

But that Herzog you got is instant eBay fodder. Gets $30 complete at least, as it is. Nice snag!

dave

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Interesting thought. Y'know, I hadn't even thought about people collecting a sealed Dreamcast collection, but I guess it makes sence seeing as how it's a failry new console with a relatively small library and nothing quite NWC or Air Raid level of rare.

@port, yeah, I was pretty pleased to find the HZ. I was thinking the same about Genny games being easy to reseal, but this one still has 3/4 of a Target price sticker on it. Plus I don't think Sally Annie's is in the business of re-sealing games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i happen to have sealed dc games, i sold powerstone 2 to some sucker for 170..

i have mostly 2d capcom games sealed... ive been trying to get rid of them for a while

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Factory sealed is an absolute MUST for me, and I'm collecting for 12 different systems! Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, SNES, Saturn, Playstation, 3DO, Dreamcast, Jaguar, Jaguar CD, Virtual Boy, & Game Gear. Occaisionally, I will give in and buy a mint complete Genesis game, if I can't find it factory sealed after many moons of searching, but that's the ONLY system that I will make exceptions for, and I've made very few exceptions for it. No more than a dozen used Genesis games in my collection of about 500 games for that system. So if you ever run across a factory sealed copy of Tom & Jerry: Frantic Antics for the Genesis, in the original hard plastic case, and NOT the Majesco reissue in the tacky cardboard box, PLEASE let me know, because I'm desperate for it!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think genny sealed collecting would be bruta;l, besides the reseals, dosen't the shrink wrap have a tendancy of tearing on those sharp corners?

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

Quote Originally Posted by muffinman943

i have mostly 2d capcom games sealed... ive been trying to get rid of them for a while
    do you have Jo Jo's Bizarre adventure, been looking for that title on DC for a while
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I started out buying sealed NES games a few years ago, but soon after I realized how mental is really is. Even the most common games cost a fortune, and I figured that if I ever wanted to have a huge collection that I would have to collect cart only (which I do now). I still think sealed games are cool as hell, but to only collect sealed games doesn't make much sense to me (unless you have a cart of the game that you can play).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My friend is a Playstation nut. Much like the Playstation nuts here. He's been collecting sealed Playstation games for a while. My best guess is around 300 sealed games and many more not sealed. Even when he opens a game he keeps that seal sticker on the top of the sony cases on an index card that he puts in the case. I think the Playstation will be the next NES in terms of collecting.

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by djbeatmongrel
    do you have Jo Jo's Bizarre adventure, been looking for that title on DC for a while

They have a ton of copies of Jo Jo's down at my TRU. However, i'm not sure if it's the dreamcast or PS version. If you want though i can pick you up a copy.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Iron Dragon, I got that Tom and jerry for ya, non majesco, hardcase, mint as hell w/ k-mart price tag of 40 something dollars, pm sent..

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

Quote Originally Posted by testament89

They have a ton of copies of Jo Jo's down at my TRU. However, i'm not sure if it's the dreamcast or PS version. If you want though i can pick you up a copy.
    i have the psx version, looking for the DC version (its a lot better). that'd be awesome of you to pick up though. send me a pml when you find out
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by muffinman943

I have one here, factory sealed for $30, PM me if interested, however, this copy has crack on jewel case, if you simply want a good, perfect disc copy to play, it's fine, but if you collect sealed collection, this will not be for you.

For cart based system, I don't mind if the game is used, they tend to be much more durable (ie: Neo-Geo, N64, SNES), but for disc based games, I pretty much want the games sealed, even those I plan to open and play as CD/DVD are much more vulnerable to scratches by average gamers.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Classicgamesdepot
    Iron Dragon, I got that Tom and jerry for ya, non majesco, hardcase, mint as hell w/ k-mart price tag of 40 something dollars, pm sent..
    OMG! You ROCK!

PM replied to!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon
    Factory sealed is an absolute MUST for me...
    I'm just curious, as I'm more of a gamer then collector. How in the hell can you have a ton of SEALED games? How is that any fun? I can understand if you do it to sell games, but you collect sealed, and it just dosn't make any sence to me. I can understand people who have a few favorites sealed (I.E. multiple copies) or people who find rare games sealed and hang on to them for awhile, but beyond that I just can't comprehend.

Basically, how can you have so many un-playable games without WANTING to play?
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.FoodMonster
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon
    Factory sealed is an absolute MUST for me...
    I'm just curious, as I'm more of a gamer then collector. How in the hell can you have a ton of SEALED games? How is that any fun? I can understand if you do it to sell games, but you collect sealed, and it just dosn't make any sence to me. I can understand people who have a few favorites sealed (I.E. multiple copies) or people who find rare games sealed and hang on to them for awhile, but beyond that I just can't comprehend.

Basically, how can you have so many un-playable games without WANTING to play?
    Ding Ding, we have a winner. I was just waiting while reading this thread for the first person to reply "Why the hell to you collect sealed games". I swear, I guarantee you can't have one thread about sealed games without this.
    (This isn't derogative toward you Mr.FoodMonster, it's just it's true about someone always asking this)

Other than NES, I also collect sealed N64, SNES, and Gameboy. I only have a couple of GB games sealed, the earlier ones I like, and only have a couple SNES sealed games. Basically because of the prices is the reason I only have a couple of SNES games.
    I also collect New and Sealed NES accessories and Nintendo systems in general. Here are a couple brand new and sealed things I have people might be interested in, or that I am really proud of. (Keep in mind only a one of these were bought off ebay, the rest were found in the wild OR I am just the original owner, that's why I am so proud)
    New NES Action Set
    New DK64 Nintendo 64 Set
    New and Never opened NES R.O.B., the ROB is just alone in it's own box - I wonder how much this would get on ebay?
    Sealed GOLD Zelda 1 + 2

I almost starting collecting Genesis games but was to hard. And to the earlier guy collecting Dreamcast games, I am REALLY jealous of that. I have bought alot of DC games NEW in the past year, but opened and play most. Maybe someday I might start a DC sealed collection.