Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SouthRox
    Steam
    SouthRox

Default Who the hell buys this stuff?

Just made a couple stops (goodwill and a local thrift) didnt find anything at either... However, I did see a genesis with AV cables and power cord (no game no controller), and fairly scuffed up, sitting on the shelf for 45.00 at the local thrift.

Next weekend when I go back there (just because Im waiting on that minty copy of Bubble Bath Babes to show up), I can almost guarantee that the Genny system will be gone. Now my question is, who the hell is going to pay 45.00 for that?!? Just wondering, is there any logical explanation for people paying that much money for this kind of trashy stuff?

and a little off topic moment...
    While in the goodwill I was looking through the tapes/books/games and I overheard this guy next to me saying to his friend (on his cell) that he just found a Adobe Photoshop CD for 2.00 on the same shelf that I was picking though. Grrrrr

PSN: SouthRox

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Who the hell buys this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Mattiekrome
    Just made a couple stops (goodwill and a local thrift) didnt find anything at either... However, I did see a genesis with AV cables and power cord (no game no controller), and fairly scuffed up, sitting on the shelf for 45.00 at the local thrift.
    Wow, that's insane. The same unit would sit at my local Goodwill priced at $8. Might sell quick though.

I know that Goodwill sells PCs, Macs and such that don't sell to their normal customers to some shadowy syndicate or other, maybe they do the same thing with Genesis units.

Hmm...may I enquire as to the price you're getting for NES, Genesis and SNES games? (Mine is a flat rate for all those systems, $3 each I think, boxed or not).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SouthRox
    Steam
    SouthRox

Default Re: Who the hell buys this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Hmm...may I enquire as to the price you're getting for NES, Genesis and SNES games? (Mine is a flat rate for all those systems, $3 each I think, boxed or not).
    All the genny games I have seen are 7 bucks each, NES are 5.... This was at the thrift shop, not at the goodwill (all the goodwills around here have fairly reasonable prices)...

About a month ago there was a pile of stuff laying on the floor of this thrift shop, with a gameboy in a nasty dirty carry case and 2 GAME GEAR games. There wasnt a price, so I asked the owner how much she wants for it. She calmly replied 25 for the gameboy and 5 for each game, of course I didnt pay that so I left it there... today when I was there, it was gone. I would just like to meet the person who bought it

PSN: SouthRox

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

If your thrift routes are anything like mine out here, there are people working the circuit buying stuff to re-sell either on eBay or in the fleas. You might assume they would know something about the things they are buying, but the prime criteria seems to be "it looks valuable." Yes, to someone with a "I bet I can get a lot for this on eBay" a filthy brick Game Boy for $25 sounds like a good deal because they think they can sell it for twice that.

There's also the fact that lots of people who shop at thrifts just don't follow the gaming biz and honestly wouldn't know the difference between a brick Game Boy and an GBA SP. All they see is video game system and $25 and that's good enough for them.

As an aside, I never will forget the family walking out of Goodwill with their Apple ][c and monitor discussing how they were going to get on the Internet and that the CDs must go in that slot on the side. I had to cringe as, not to sound rude but, these people didn't exactly look like the type who could spare the $30 they'd just blown on a computer that wasn't even close to what they thought it was. Not exactly the same scenario, but I always think of that lot whenever the $25 model 2 Genesis with no cords or controllers has vanished between thrift store visits.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

A games store near me recently had a woodgrain Atari VCS with 10 common games priced at a ridiculous £110 (~$210).
    I thought that was amazing enough but when I walked by this week, it had gone! That's 22 times as much as I paid for mine, and I got 30-odd games into the deal aswell! Unbelievable.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    squirrelnut1416

I think its usually people who don't know any better. Maybe some people think cause it's at a thrift store it's a good deal. Maybe to some people 25 bucks is worth it for a brick gameboy. Personally, yeah I may spend more to get something from a thrift store that I could try to get cheaper but theres the convience factor in there.

I paid 1.95 for one NES controler. Yeah it sounds like too much but it was worth it. I love NES controlers I have like 14 of them and only one (working) system. I just had to have it and 2 bucks isn't that bad for that really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The thrift here sells all their CD's at a dollar each, and one time I saw UnJammer Lammy for the Playstation there and got it for a buck. I haven't seen any other games there ever but that was pretty cool, although I still haven't played the game.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not sure what the difference is between Goodwill and thrift stores, but at the local Salvation Army all games (Atari-new) are $2.99, unless its a TG-16 game in case... which they think is a CD and is a dollar more I think.

I've gotten plenty of NES games there, and a buttload of sealed 4 scores and sattellites one day (with about 20 sealed SNES battleclashes lol). My friend found 3 in box Neo Geo games too. All really cheap for the most part!

I just feel bad for the 100000000000000 copies of Super Mario/Duck Hunts, Sonic 1s, and Keith Courages that are indefinately there!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelnut
    I think its usually people who don't know any better. Maybe some people think cause it's at a thrift store it's a good deal. Maybe to some people 25 bucks is worth it for a brick gameboy. Personally, yeah I may spend more to get something from a thrift store that I could try to get cheaper but theres the convience factor in there.
    agreed, they just don't know. Not everybody is on ebay, or even the internet for that matter. Plus, they may be buying it for somebody else, so you should feel good that some random nephew is getting a gameboy or a genesis.