Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Iwata: Revolution will bring a "paradigm shift" to

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Iwata: Revolution will bring a "paradigm shift" to

intresting article, i thought i would share:

Nintendo president confirms his company's next-gen console will be unveiled at E3, says it will lure retired gamers and nongamers to the market.

TOKYO--In a full-page interview in Thursday's Kyoto Journal, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata commented on the current state of the company's next-generation game console--being developed under the working title "Revolution."

Iwata said the Revolution will cause a "paradigm shift" in video gaming, and reconfirmed that details on the machine will be unveiled at the upcoming E3 in May. He added that the machine will most likely come out somewhere between 2005 and 2006, when Sony and Microsoft are expected to release their next-generation consoles. Currently very little is known about the Revolution except that it may not use a conventional controller and may be able to connect to a PC monitor as well as the traditional TV screen.

"The keyword for the DS was 'innovative product,' but it will be 'paradigm shift in [game] play' with the Revolution," Iwata said in his interview with Kyoto's popular local newspaper.

"The concept behind our new console, tentatively named 'Revolution,' is the same as the DS. We want it to broaden the [video gaming] audience range, and we don't want it to be something that people will see as too irrelevant to them, too difficult to use, or as something that wastes space. We'll announce specific details at the E3 ... It will most likely come out between this year [and] next year, which is considered to be the transition period for home consoles," Iwata said.

Iwata said the DS and PSP aren't directly competing, because Nintendo is aiming for nongamers and retired gamers with its handheld, while Sony is targeting the traditional gaming audience. He added that his company will also attempt to avoid competing in the next-gen console market.

"Similar to the relationship that the DS has with the PSP, we won't fight over the same share of the pie with another company. We have no intention of fighting over shares of the market in a way that will shrink it. For us, success will depend on whether we can call back people that have stopped playing games, and whether we can also bring in a new base of customers. That way, our share [of the market] will increase since the market will grow bigger," Iwata said.

Iwata also took time to comment on the success of the DS. "We shipped 2.8 million units in Japan and America by the end of last year, and most had reached the hands of our customers by early after New Year's. Its sales are very good when compared to the launch of other game machines we've sold in the past. We feel that the DS has gained a wide range of audience. Aside from video game fans, people that haven't played games in a long time, or never played games before, have been picking up the DS," Iwata said. "According to research, the sales of game hardware for one month, starting in late November, increased by 75 percent compared to the past year, and game software sales also rose by about 10 percent. I believe that the DS is hindering people from losing interest in video games."

When asked by the Kyoto Journal what he thought of the PSP, Iwata stated relatively bluntly that Sony is going in a direction that Nintendo doesn't believe in, though he softened that by saying he welcomes Sony's entrance into the market--since it should expand the total gaming audience.

"In the past, the video game industry grew on high-quality graphics and data volume," Iwata said. "We decided to move into a different direction, since we believe that those days have ended. But by watching the PSP, we see that there are also people that have different thoughts from us. But it's up to the consumers to make the judgment, and it'll also be good if we can expand the market size by bringing out our best points."

Iwata also commented briefly on Nintendo's entrance into the movie market, hinting that although the company is strongly considering the move, it isn't completely sure if it will be going into the business just yet.

"We're strongly considering the matter. I've been in contact with the script writers, directors, and the production companies. We're looking into the potentials between movies and video games. But if we decide to really go into the movie business, it will be around summer of 2006 at the earliest."

By Hirohiko Niizumi -- GameSpot
    POSTED: 01/14/05 05:14 PM PST
    Comments?
    In the free/libre software
    movement, we develop
    software that respects users'
    freedom, so we can and you can
    escape from software that
    doesn't --Richard Stallman

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Default Re: Iwata: Revolution will bring a "paradigm shift"

Quote Originally Posted by xaer0knight
    Iwata said the DS and PSP aren't directly competing, because Nintendo is aiming for nongamers and retired gamers with its handheld, while Sony is targeting the traditional gaming audience. He added that his company will also attempt to avoid competing in the next-gen console market.
    Retired gamers? WTF? Somehow I don't see that as part of the pie chart of demographics in Nintendo's board room.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

I really hate the phrase "paradigm shift".

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar
    Retired gamers? WTF? Somehow I don't see that as part of the pie chart of demographics in Nintendo's board room.
    Well, a lot of people like my dad, got out of gaming about the SNES age. the games got to complicated and too many buttons for him, like the PS2 controller. I know some other that dont like the controllers or itimidated by them because they went from 4/6 to what, 8 button? thats not counting start, (or select/back) or the Analog Stick buttons x2, so that would bring it to 12 buttons for the XBOX. Ive heard a lot of people say why isnt there a Idiot's Guide for controllers
    In the free/libre software
    movement, we develop
    software that respects users'
    freedom, so we can and you can
    escape from software that
    doesn't --Richard Stallman

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It has me intrested, thats for sure.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, a lot of people like my dad, got out of gaming about the SNES age. the games got to complicated and too many buttons for him, like the PS2 controller. I know some other that dont like the controllers or itimidated by them because they went from 4/6 to what, 8? thats not counting start, (or select/back) or the Analog Stick buttons x2, so that would bring it to 12 buttons for the XBOX. Ive heard a lot of people say why isnt there a Idiot's Guide for controllers
    While I never got out of gaming I think gaming has gotten to complicated for me. I never thought the DS looked very easy though. I remember playing the metroid demo on the DS and saying too complicated for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SouthRox
    Steam
    SouthRox

Well, a lot of people like my dad, got out of gaming about the SNES age. the games got to complicated and too many buttons for him, like the PS2 controller. I know some other that dont like the controllers or itimidated by them because they went from 4/6 to what, 8 button? thats not counting start, (or select/back) or the Analog Stick buttons x2, so that would bring it to 12 buttons for the XBOX. Ive heard a lot of people say why isnt there a Idiot's Guide for controllers
    Thats what im thinking. Hopefully they will bring back a lil simplicity

PSN: SouthRox

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sounds like a bunch of hot air to me. This reminds me of Sega's "really HUGE announcement" that turned out to be the stinkin' Matrix.

I don't know who all these people who stopped playing games are supposed to be. And selling games to "nongamers" is about the worst business model you could possibly have. What the hell is he talking about?

I think tomorrow I'll make up a completely new type of pizza for people who don't eat pizza. Uhh, yeah...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but do these guys even listen to what they're saying. Almost everything that comes out of their mouths is the complete opposite of what is really happening. I will still support them because I love their games, and I think they are one of the few companies that will at least attempt to innovate, but I think they need to get off the high horse for a bit and actually take a look around. I hope the "revolution" isn't a dissapointment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To me, it sounds like Nintendo is trying to add something different to games. However, I can't see it being much more than a new console with a gimmick, like the DS. But who knows? Perhaps they might really have something neat going on.

Then again, it's probably a Gamecube shaped like Mario's head.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Double post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It will be something as useless as the touch screen I'm sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Well, when you can't capture the market your competitor is busy beating your ass entertaining and milking of cash, I guess you've gotta turn somewhere.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice
    Sounds like a bunch of hot air to me.
    Yup.

I really like the part about how the DS and PSP "aren't directly competing".

Yeah....is the sky blue in your little world, Iwata?

Well if Nintendo can crank out a game that doesnt have Mario crammed into it and running his mouth off and possibly a more mature storyline (i dont mean sex and violence) Then i might consider the Revolution.

Although, if they put messed up the controls like they did on the DS (****A D-PAD????****) Then all bets are off.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba
    I really hate the phrase "paradigm shift".

Chris
    Has a catchy ring to it..

[Saves name to use as title for HD after he gets tired of using "Sine qua non"... look it up.)

Sure has me interested as well, thats for sure. I must say I am a fan of what Nintendo does, the games they make, and I look forward to whatever it is. And no, that does not make me a Fanboy. "OMG!!! NINT3ND0 IS TEH ROXX0RZ!!! PS2 XBOX SUKKS~!!1" does. I enjoy a good Pikmin or Mario game. Does that make me a kiddie? No.

I wish people would really leave them alone. They're the only different ones in the market. Let the people who LIKE different things have their fun already! As Dubbya might say, Think Differentably.

Now that that's out of the way, I really look forward to seeing what they're up to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice
    I don't know who all these people who stopped playing games are supposed to be. And selling games to "nongamers" is about the worst business model you could possibly have. What the hell is he talking about?

I think tomorrow I'll make up a completely new type of pizza for people who don't eat pizza. Uhh, yeah...

Really? Heard of something called the Sony Playstation? EA? they are both hugely successful companies in their respective fields, and they both made most of this money from "nongamers" and people who stopped gaming. If you can develop a pizza aimed at people who don't eat pizza and sucessfuly bring them in believe me you would be VERY weathly and move VERY far up the corperate ladder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by DrJustinRamone
    Well, when you can't capture the market your competitor is busy beating your ass entertaining and milking of cash, I guess you've gotta turn somewhere.
    Holy shit, that was great man!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jesus Christ, they need to paradigm shift back into reality. Claiming you don't want to compete is the most psychotic business plan ever. People aren't going to eat out of your hand if you just keep rehashing the same old stuff that sold ages ago, and marketing all sorts of gimmicks. Let's look at some past Nintendo "revolutions" and count the ones that lasted any appreciable amount of time, and had any impact at all on gaming trends:

ROB
    Power Pad (Yeah, I know, Bandai.)
    Super Scope
    BS Satelleview
    Virtual Boy
    Gameboy Printer
    Gameboy Color Infrared Port
    E-Reader
    Gamecube modem and ethernet adapters
    GBA wireless adapter

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, and I've got an uneasy feeling that DS might get added to this list. I don't want it to, but if they're too wrapped up in fantasy land to compete with the Sony/PSP juggernaut (GTA or a rerelease of Mario 64 - I can't imagine which launch title would move more copies)... Nintendo has apparently switched from the business of making money to making really cool and creative commercial failures.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You're missing the 64DD, the N64-GB Transfer Pak, the tilt pak, and several others I'm sure. They've had a lot of failures when they try to revolutionize for sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not to defend them too much, but you could also add the D-pad and the analog stick (I think). Sometimes they just try too hard though. Sometimes I think they should try to blend in a bit more.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026