Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Steam
    Maruko Tenada

Default Who am I? (Introduction)

Hi, I'm Mark. I go by Maruko Tenada online (Games, Twitch, etc.) and I'm from Pennsylvania, USA.

I recently started going back to my gaming roots, and wanted to find a forum to learn and discuss. Thanks to Bing (Yes, Bing!) I found this site.

I like casual games, RPGs, games that are fun, not necessarily hard-core. I've played some MMOs, but due to my schedule, tend to go solo. My first gaming experiences were my Grandmother's 2600 (she loved Mrs. Pacman) and the Commodore 64 and Apples at school. However, at the time, I didn't recognize how special they were.

Getting back to my roots means NES! My first system was an NES, and I didn't get another system until a Gameboy Advanced, so Nintendo is my lineage. I had friends with Genesis, Playstation, and others, but Nintendo is where my heart is. In between, I played a lot of PC games also. (Secret of Monkey Island FTW!!!)
    My current line-up of systems is a Retron 3 (NES, SNES (and Super Gameboy), and Genesis), a Wii (Gamecube and Wii), a PS2, and a 2DS. (And PC of course)

I know you can get a lot of old games through the 'Mini' systems, and Virtual Consoles on the Nintendo line, but there's something about having that physical media, am I right? I remember the days of renting or borrowing games from friends with great fondness. A good week at school meant a Friday night visit to the local video rental place to see what games and movies we'd spend our weekend with. All nighters with Rampage cause who ever heard of save points. Ahh... the life.

In real life, I'm a computer programmer, mostly doing C# web development. So, computers are in my blood. However, I like to unplug, get outdoors, hike, camp, and spend time with friends of course.

I'm looking for tips, so I'll be sure to read through the posts. Thanks for the place to come and be... totally retro!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mkenyon2 For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (11-29-2018)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

New accounts
    ---
    burtman316
    grondorr
    silentshadow56
    Zorba

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Tell us any or all of the following:
    - Who you are
    Brian
    - Where you live
    NYC
    - How you found the forums
    Trying to find like minded individuals.
    - What your favorite games are
    Too many to name, but I'm currently playing (slowly):
    - Minish cap
    - Link to the past
    - Metroid Fusion
    - Metroid Zero Mission
    - Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
    - 3DS Ocarina of Time
    Recently beat the new Shadowrunner indie games on Steam. Really liked them, and it's rare I'm able to sit through a whole game, but I did more than one.
    Before I had kids, I played a lot of MMOs including Evercrack, AO, SWG, and WoW.
    I have some old favorites, but don't play them now.:
    - M.U.L.E
    - Virus (Amiga game)
    - Bards Tale series
    - Shuffle Puck cafe
    - Civ series
    - Empire
    - Most Epyx games
    - and many many more...
    That said, even though I've gamed since childhood in the 1980s, I'm recently spending much more time collecting.. prowling ebay, and other game sale sites. Also getting pretty familiar with pricecharting.com.
    - What systems you collect for:
    Primarily focusing on handhelds, particularly Nintendo. With my strongest focus on GBA. I also want to own all the major handhelds. Currently have all the nintendo ones (ignoring special editions and variants), GG, Nomad, Atari Lynx, NGPC and PSP. Need TurboExpress still, but it's a real commitment, and want to make more progress on GBA before branching out further. I did buy NES, SNES, N64, and GC systems and games too, when I first started collecting, but realized I need to focus, due to the NYC apartment thing, and limited budget thing. (I'm thinking about trading or selling my non-handheld games and systems over time, to make more space to focus on handhelds.)
    - What you do in "real life"
    Manage Linux servers, in the "cloud"
    - Any other interesting facts, like how you began collecting, etc.
    Collecting is my "mid-life crisis", as a way to reconnect with my youth. It started out trying to play some old GBA games on an emulator on my Android phone, and then evolved to a flash cart in a real GBA-SP. From there it's devolved/evolved into a true obsession collecting loose, CIB and sealed. So far it's been cheaper than a sports car, but if things continue, that may not be the case. At this point I have way more than I need for my collection and need to start trading away things that are extra, for things I need. I have a small selection of big box games, nothing amazing, of games I've played, that I'd like to find a home for. (I can't see myself ever collecting big box pc games, mostly due to my living situation.)

I'd really like to meet local GBA collectors, and show them my collection, maybe trade, and exchange knowledge. I've discovered that there are a couple major GBA collectors out there but none that I know of that are local, which I'm sure is just me not having met the right people. I found someone (dreamtr) who has a full collection, but they are in TN.) I'm working on my own lists of rares and uncommons that I'd like to compare notes. (Or if there is a list floating around, I would appreciate it.)

My goals for my GBA collection as of today, are to get all the super rares, rares, and maybe even all the uncommons in CIB or sealed, and probably go for a complete set, collecting the bulk loose (I definitely don't have room or budget for a full set of CIB+). I'm not actively seeking garbage loose carts, but do add them to my collection when I happen to pick them up in a lot. I have many spare, and wouldn't mind exchanging garbage carts with people who are looking to complete collections. I also have spares of some popular loose carts that I am open to trading. (Think top 25 games.)

I'm working with the creator of pricecharting.com to clean up the GBA section, as it's missing things and doesn't have breakouts for PAL and JP. I'm obsessed with collecting GBA.. and know about as much as possible for someone who's been doing it as a hobby for less than a year.

For background these are the systems I've owned through my life when they were new. C64, Amiga, PCjr, various PCs, NextStation Color, various Macbooks, SMS, Atari Lynx, Genesis, 3DO, GG, PS2, GBA-SP (AGS-001), new 2DS. My brother had an NES and a GB when we were kids. Sadly all of the classic stuff except the Lynx system and loose carts, have been lost to the mists of time, and many moves.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to grondorr For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (01-04-2019)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grondorr View Post
    Tell us any or all of the following:
    - Who you are
    Brian
    - Where you live
    NYC
    - How you found the forums
    Trying to find like minded individuals.
    - What your favorite games are
    Too many to name, but I'm currently playing (slowly):
    - Minish cap
    - Link to the past
    - Metroid Fusion
    - Metroid Zero Mission
    - Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
    - 3DS Ocarina of Time
    Recently beat the new Shadowrunner indie games on Steam. Really liked them, and it's rare I'm able to sit through a whole game, but I did more than one.
    Before I had kids, I played a lot of MMOs including Evercrack, AO, SWG, and WoW.
    I have some old favorites, but don't play them now.:
    - M.U.L.E
    - Virus (Amiga game)
    - Bards Tale series
    - Shuffle Puck cafe
    - Civ series
    - Empire
    - Most Epyx games
    - and many many more...
    That said, even though I've gamed since childhood in the 1980s, I'm recently spending much more time collecting.. prowling ebay, and other game sale sites. Also getting pretty familiar with pricecharting.com.
    - What systems you collect for:
    Primarily focusing on handhelds, particularly Nintendo. With my strongest focus on GBA. I also want to own all the major handhelds. Currently have all the nintendo ones (ignoring special editions and variants), GG, Nomad, Atari Lynx, NGPC and PSP. Need TurboExpress still, but it's a real commitment, and want to make more progress on GBA before branching out further. I did buy NES, SNES, N64, and GC systems and games too, when I first started collecting, but realized I need to focus, due to the NYC apartment thing, and limited budget thing. (I'm thinking about trading or selling my non-handheld games and systems over time, to make more space to focus on handhelds.)
    - What you do in "real life"
    Manage Linux servers, in the "cloud"
    - Any other interesting facts, like how you began collecting, etc.
    Collecting is my "mid-life crisis", as a way to reconnect with my youth. It started out trying to play some old GBA games on an emulator on my Android phone, and then evolved to a flash cart in a real GBA-SP. From there it's devolved/evolved into a true obsession collecting loose, CIB and sealed. So far it's been cheaper than a sports car, but if things continue, that may not be the case. At this point I have way more than I need for my collection and need to start trading away things that are extra, for things I need. I have a small selection of big box games, nothing amazing, of games I've played, that I'd like to find a home for. (I can't see myself ever collecting big box pc games, mostly due to my living situation.)

I'd really like to meet local GBA collectors, and show them my collection, maybe trade, and exchange knowledge. I've discovered that there are a couple major GBA collectors out there but none that I know of that are local, which I'm sure is just me not having met the right people. I found someone (dreamtr) who has a full collection, but they are in TN.) I'm working on my own lists of rares and uncommons that I'd like to compare notes. (Or if there is a list floating around, I would appreciate it.)

My goals for my GBA collection as of today, are to get all the super rares, rares, and maybe even all the uncommons in CIB or sealed, and probably go for a complete set, collecting the bulk loose (I definitely don't have room or budget for a full set of CIB+). I'm not actively seeking garbage loose carts, but do add them to my collection when I happen to pick them up in a lot. I have many spare, and wouldn't mind exchanging garbage carts with people who are looking to complete collections. I also have spares of some popular loose carts that I am open to trading. (Think top 25 games.)

I'm working with the creator of pricecharting.com to clean up the GBA section, as it's missing things and doesn't have breakouts for PAL and JP. I'm obsessed with collecting GBA.. and know about as much as possible for someone who's been doing it as a hobby for less than a year.

For background these are the systems I've owned through my life when they were new. C64, Amiga, PCjr, various PCs, NextStation Color, various Macbooks, SMS, Atari Lynx, Genesis, 3DO, GG, PS2, GBA-SP (AGS-001), new 2DS. My brother had an NES and a GB when we were kids. Sadly all of the classic stuff except the Lynx system and loose carts, have been lost to the mists of time, and many moves.
    I forgot, my first two systems:
    - Binatone (UK version) - I got it as a present and then my family moved to the US. It was basically 6 variants of pong, and no carts.
    - Atari 2600 - had a ton of loose games. Remember I gave them all to a friend when I got into commodore gaming.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to grondorr For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (01-04-2019)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Hi, everyone

My name is Jorge, but friends call me Jor. I'm 44 years old and live in Mexico City. I stumbled across this great site more than 10 years ago, but at that time I registered and only used to read all different threads and posts. Now I decided it was time to return and be an active member (thanks to Nz17 for helping me with my username!).

My first system was an Atari 2600 (probably in 1984, and how I loved to play Spider Fighter), and from there I went to the NES which I only had for about two months. Then I discovered the Sega Master System around 1987 or so and have been building up my collection since then for my favorite system and some others.

Most of my attention is focused on the SMS/Mark III, PC Engine and Neo Geo Pocket Color, but also collect and sometimes play games for many other systems like the Genesis, SNES, Dreamcast, Playstation, Saturn, Famicom, WonderSwan, Atari 2600 etc.

I stopped going to flea markets and trade/buy with some of the guys I knew for years because my eyes are in bad condition due to an illness. That is also in part the reason I have to let go some of my beloved treasures.

I also enjoy cooking for my friends. I believe the last dish I tried to make was okonomiyaki. Oh, and a good coffee is always welcomed

Thanks for reading!
    This account was formerly known as retroJ.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SegaMasterMonster For This Useful Post:

mkenyon2 (01-11-2019), Nz17 (01-12-2019)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Welcome to the site. Always great to have new members here

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

New accounts
    ---
    AstralOrange
    bledrix
    skleek
    Viperision
    vladone97

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Wonder how many new accounts just sign up to eventually plug something, given that many new members dont even post anything lol

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

A lot of people sign up for accounts not to post threads nor replies but to keep track of what they have or haven't read (i.e. new posts).

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

New accounts
    ---
    AekaGSR
    Arringtastic1992
    Carlitos

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default hello

My name is Arringtastic1992. I live in DC. I found the forum of Flying Dragon (Hiryu no Ken games). MY favorite games are F-Zero X, Super Smash Bros, Street Fighter 2: Special Champion Edition and Samurai Shodown IV. My consoles are Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Starfox 64, Quest 64, Mace The Dark Age and Fighter Destiny 2 for Nintendo 64 and Super Mario Party and Brawlhalla for Nintendo Switch. My real job is scanning these papers at OFEO. I go exercising, playing video games and reading books.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Arringtastic1992 For This Useful Post:

mkenyon2 (02-12-2019)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

New accounts
    ---
    Brock Landers
    Nainz
    ROBsLab
    tomkennes

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

New accounts
    ---
    Majora64

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

New account(s)
    ---
    dgt

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

New account(s)
    ---
    itsamemario

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hi,

I'm from the UK and been gaming since the late since 1980. First system was a Philips Videopac which is the Euro version of the Magnavox Odyssey 2. First computer was the Acorn Electron followed by the Speccy.

I'm owner of a retrogaming business producing high quality models.

Favourite games change all the time but would be Monkey Island 2, Road Rash, The Last Of Us, Dune 2 etc etc

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itsamemario For This Useful Post:

mkenyon2 (02-21-2019), Nz17 (02-20-2019)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Steam
    Maruko Tenada

Quote Originally Posted by itsamemario View Post
    Hi,

I'm from the UK and been gaming since the late since 1980. First system was a Philips Videopac which is the Euro version of the Magnavox Odyssey 2. First computer was the Acorn Electron followed by the Speccy.

I'm owner of a retrogaming business producing high quality models.

Favourite games change all the time but would be Monkey Island 2, Road Rash, The Last Of Us, Dune 2 etc etc
    Welcome! Monkey Island was a great series.

What kind of stuff do you do with your business?

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

New account(s)
    ---
    Avedare
    Loefye
    MSC