Thread: PSP as a PDA?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Default PSP as a PDA?

I know that there is a separate forum for the DS and PSP, but I thought this was too important not to put in the VG forum.

From www.gizmodo.com

In a bit of a shocker, it seems that Sony has confirmed the PSP Updater we first reported Friday as a legitimate piece of software, although prematurely (and potentially harmfully) leaked to the web. What makes it interesting is that among other things, the update will add word processing and spreadsheet software to the PSP, finally following up moves made by Sony last year to consolidate its PDA line and its entertainment line into a single device (Sony still sells its Clie PDAs in Japan, but has removed them from the market elsewhere).

It will be a long while before anyone is actually using the PSP as a mobile computing device—at least until Sony officially releases the update themselves, not to mention peripherals like a keyboard or other input device—but it's an interesting development to say the least. Could a business-class PSP overcome the stigma of being a gaming device?

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Moving this with all of the other PSP threads. It's just more on-topic there.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man! When are the game companies like Sony gonna realize that we gamers want a game machine and just that, not something that will vacuum the floor cook breakfast in the morning mop the floor etc, ect. I'm not interested in a multi device just a good gaming device. :/
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy
    I'm not interested in a multi device just a good gaming device. :/
    What's the difference? DS has a stylus. I can't see it being much more palm than that. You have a powerful machine- software like that is cheap- they probably have a 10 guy apps team, at the most. And for some of us, compatibility is nice. It certainly won't detract from the games if you don't want to utilize that functionality.

Game Boy, after all, even had PDA apps. Damn you original Game Boy!

And have you guys seen some of the Clies? For some reason, I really like this mini-computer design:

http://sonyelectronics.sonystyle.com...dels/ux50.html

I guess it all dates back to my love of the old Byte magazine cover with the wrist computer. Anyone remember that? I can't find a link...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think its a pretty good idea. I mean who knows, maybe this will catch on and the PSP will appeal to more people?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    squirrelnut1416

Man! When are the game companies like Sony gonna realize that we gamers want a game machine and just that, not something that will vacuum the floor cook breakfast in the morning mop the floor etc, ect. I'm not interested in a multi device just a good gaming device. :/

*hugs my gamecube and dreamcast* the one shot systems are always the best

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One reason I have decided to spend my $$$ on the PSP over the DS is the fact that the PSP has significantly more features as well as the ability to update software.

I don't see anything wrong with being able to play music, movies (steaming media, video on a memory stick or through UMD), web content etc when you are taking a break from regular gamming.

IMO, it makes the product more worth with it's asking price of ~$200
    Nintendo Llamas, bereiten sich für Gemetzel vor!