Thread: Sega CD1 repair question..

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega CD1 repair question..

I finally found my way back here, and I'm already being greedy for help! Here goes:

What are common causes of Sega CD1 failure? Does it have an internal fuse or cb hidden deep? I started to crack into mine, but the old model 1 versions are kind of a pain in the ass to disassemble. About halfway into total disassembly, I still hadn't located a fuse or circuit breaker. I stopped there and left it alone. Does it have one? Is that a typical problem for the Sega CD 1? I've seen a LOT of "broken" Sega CD 1s at pawn shops and the like. Is there a "standard" problem and solution to the machines?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Re: Sega CD1 repair question..

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelflack
    I still hadn't located a fuse or circuit breaker.

I remember you, your avatar still disturbs me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've read that it is common for them to be toasted by use of an improper power supply (SNES for example). I have a couple of SEGA CD2's that are utterly dead, but look fine. In my half assed informed opinion, that is what has happened to them. Parts wise, I'm keeping them for their laser assemblies and the like.

From what I've read, burnt ones (wrong PS used) are irreparable. :-( They are certainly beyond my abilities to repair.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega CD1 repair help

Every single CD1 I have ever opened that was completely dead when I got it was a blown fusible resistor on the power supply board. Open it up and look for a vertically mounted green resistor looking thing near the power jack. For a quick test, grab it with a pair of pliers and twist the leads of it together (crunch the resistor if you have to) and see if it powers up. Ok ok you can check it with a meter if you like. This has never failed to fix a totally dead CD1. Replace it with a fuse rated slightly below the power adapter or just slap a wire in there which is what I usually do.
    Alan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what Alan said.. the fuse is hard wired and (probably) blown from a wrong power supply. This is one of the reasons why systems have gone to internal PSU's. What a great money maker for some early 90's electronics shop though.. "That will cost $60 to fix" One hour later you have $60

What will really piss you off is you fix the fuse and power it on and the tray breaks.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks guys. I'll do that later tonight, and if it works, I'll crack into the 3 "spares" that my brothers have. I know that my machine, at least, had correct power to it...it just didn't work one day. Maybe there was a surge or god knows what, but I leave all of my machines hooked up all of the time (you should see the wiring nightmare discreetly hidden behind the setup!), so I didn't have a NES/Jag moment.
    Thanks again!!

PS: I actually changed my avatar about a year ago (I use te same name and avatar for all boards I visit), but I actually got a bunch of complaints when I did so! "Your new avatar blows! Go back to the old one!" (etc.)
    Finally, as for the question everyone asks--"What is Moose saying to Reggie?"--he's saying "How would you like to kiss this, loverboy?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had a model 1 with something bad on the laser/cd assembly knock out the whole system... Didn't power up or anything. Swapped it out with a different assembly, and it fired right up (been using it ever since). Since you have some extra consoles, if the fusable resistor does't work out then check into that.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just got into it. Fried transistor near the jack.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm guessing it's not a transistor, per se, but a voltage regulator. I already went to Radio Shack to look for a replacement, but their component selection is now just an afterthought (one little case in a corner, with some pull out drawers). Gotta make room for more R/C cars and cellphone bullshit!
    Aargh! I remember quite distinctly when Radio Shack was wall to wall components and parts, with some tables set up in the middle of the floor for "toys" and computers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

.25 cent resistors don't pay the mall bills.. I wouldn't buy anything from there but wire and components.. everything else is overpriced or just bad quality..

I worked in a Radio Shack when I was 17-18 and we were still selling 386 Tandy computers when everyone else was selling 486/dx4 100's and P1-75's.. It was sooo hard to make comission there.. No one wants a Optimus amp, or a symphonic DVD player. Radio Shack is now trying to become some sort of Best Buy with mail in rebates and the like.. sorry guys.. not going to happen.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.