Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neo Geo question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    These are REALLY noob questions, about MVS and AES for example.

This is required reading if you want to learn:
    http://www.neo-geo.com/reviews/NeoGl...eoglossary.htm
    Agreed, go there first.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

These are REALLY noob questions, about MVS and AES for example.

This is required reading if you want to learn:
    http://www.neo-geo.com/reviews/NeoGl...eoglossary.htm
    Ok, and what is the problem? I am a newbie on Neo Geo, why do you think i ask? ;P If i knew the answers i wouldnt have asked.
    But tnx for the link ;P

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

there isnt a problem, we are lazy and dont feel like holding your hand and walking you through every step there is to understanding the neo, do it yourself. you are on a computer, you are on the internet, the internet is full of nice information to teach you. so look for it.
    BLAST AWAY AND GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No problem here. I'm trying to be helpful, and state facts as I understand them. I stand by my noob observation. the most basic thing about the Neo, are the two formats, the AES (home) and MVS (arcade), and the HUGE differences in collecting for one or both.

Metal Slug 1 AES- ~$2400USD

Metal Slug 1 MVS- ~$70USD

Does that illustrate it well enough? max 330mega could not answer your question because the question did not make sense.

Read the link, and you will be able to ask questions that will get you answers.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No problem here. I'm trying to be helpful, and state facts as I understand them. I stand by my noob observation. the most basic thing about the Neo, are the two formats, the AES (home) and MVS (arcade), and the HUGE differences in collecting for one or both.

Metal Slug 1 AES- ~$2400USD

Metal Slug 1 MVS- ~$70USD

Does that illustrate it well enough? max 330mega could not answer your question because the question did not make sense.

Read the link, and you will be able to ask questions that will get you answers.
    Haha.. damn Yes that acctualy illustrate it alot.
    I thought my question was clear, but we all understand the things diffrently.
    Thanks for all the help and the friendly tone I've recived some negative "feedback" here on my posts just for saying my opinion sometimes. Would be better if more where friendly like you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Roffles. Also, what gamed did you have in mind for that AES figure, Omnedon? I've got a nice little AES collection going myself and I haven't nearly reached that point - wouldn't either even adding the Last Blade games and the new Samurai Shodown games, and I could easily fit either Kizuna Encounter (JP of course) or Ninja Master's without hitting that mark...probably even with both. Meaning I can flesh out many of the old classics and pick up Metal Slug 3 and stay well below that mark.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I have a Phantom -1 that works flawlessly, so I buy both MVS and AES.

I'm not sure I understand the question. I *believe* MS1 goes for that amount as a matter of course, and is the most valuable in the MS series. I own MS3 and MS5 for AES, and have games like MS1, MSX, last Blade, Garou MOTW on MVS, and play through the Phantom.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't read what you wrote correctly. xD

In any case, the AES isn't necessarily a huge money sink if you stick to early games (including Samurai Shodown 1 & 2, these aren't too terribly expensive). If you're happy with so-so condition games you can probably get most of the good titles cheap. It's the amount you gotta put down starting out for a good Supergun to go MVS that kills me, or even a Phantom-1 for that matter - if I'm paying that much I want it to be 100% official, Phantom-1 ain't bad but I'm not a fan of paying that much for unofficial stuff. That's just (admittedly a quirky) personal preference, folks should be able to decide for themselves whether they want to 'keep it real' or be economical.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

Ok where can I get a MVS MS1 for that price? for that matter wheres the cheapest place to get a phantom converter? the cheapest I've found it for is like 250 (for the phantom) and I've seen diffrent MS's (MVS) go anywhere between 150-500.

I'll love you for life if you can hook me up

for newbes AES Will (At least in most cases) always be More.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$250USD is normal for a phantom-1. My MVS copy of Metal Slug was bought for $60CDN, from a local dealer/friend. It's loose, no kit, serials marked off. I don't have a cab, so who cares about kits?

Complete kits go for more. The best way to get MVS carts is through foorum deals here or at neo-geo.com. Collector to collector the prices are as reasonable as it gets. Ebay is bootleg central, and many boots will not work in a Phantom-1.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

yeah E-bay is mostly where I've been looking (Other then the NeoGeo.com store and Japangames.com) I've only seen phantom-1 being sold but out of stock or through unfamiler forum links in a google check.

is/was there anywhere you go online to pick up your phantom?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Point well taken; still going to remind everybody that sometimes you can get a slick, complete AES game for as much as a loose MVS cart with the early releases - i.e. Samurai Shodown[/continuedplug], so it's always good to take a look at your options. If you've got an AES, and can get a game as MVS or AES for the same price, go with AES.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

Thats how I got SS-2, Art of fighting-2, Ghost pilots, Blues/rayguy, nam-1975 those are all AES and I got them for somewhere close to two hundred All together.

I want to get Sengoku 1-3 and as much of the MS Series as I can. As long as MVS can still fit in a shock box I'll be a happy camper. from all the research I've done the games (software wise) are one and the same. The hardware is the only thing different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Damion
    Thats how I got SS-2, Art of fighting-2, Ghost pilots, Blues/rayguy, nam-1975 those are all AES and I got them for somewhere close to two hundred All together.
    Could you break down the prices for me? Prices I've been able to score import copies for were not bad: SS-2 and AoF-2 should go $30 and $40+, respectively. Nam-1975 is cheap. Perhaps Ghost Pilots and this Blues/rayguy (for whatever reason I can't think of what this is) was more expensive?

Sengoku games...the first two (quality games) are cheap, the third, Sengoku 2001, isn't so cheap and I also don't think it's nearly as good. Character graphics feel like a KoF game but the stages I've played through are bland and empty (I stopped at...uh, Italy, I think it was).

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

Sure give me a sec (post point saver)

ok each of these are a link to where I bought them and The corrisponding review below it.

Blue's Journey (NOS) paid 33.00 USD

Review

Ghost Pilots (NOS) I paid 35 USD but since then there sale has ended and is now 44 USD

Review

NAM-1975 (NOS, marked) I paid 22 USD it's now 25 USD

Review

Art of Fighting 2 JP AES I paid 17.99 USD now 22.99 USD

Revieiw

Samurai Spirits 2 JP AES Paid 39.99

Do you need a review?

Plus thirty bucks for shipping the total comes to 177.98 (I was close) At least for me it did.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

bump for EDIT in above post^ (might as well have made it a new post)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm no good at adding, apparently Yeah, not too bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lotta good games cheap.

I don't consider the Phantom any more a part of my collection, than I consider a 3rd party AC adapter.

A 3rd party AC adapter is a tool that lets you do something you want to do with the original hardware. So is a Phantom. It's pricey, but playing Metal Slug alone covers the savings. After that, playing Garou, Metal Slug 2, Metal Slug X,, and Last Blade, all on the cheap are gravy.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The AES is a money pit plain and simple. I do not want to even begin to think of how much I have spent, and I only have 23 games. I don't know why, but I could never bring myself to go the Phantom1/MVS route (it would have been so much cheaper). I just had to have those Japanese AES carts...sigh...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Those 23 games take up much more space than other games do though! :P