Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the default system for Old Sega Fans

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What is the default system for Old Sega Fans

Now that Sega publishes for all consoles, including every obscure handheld, what is the default system for former or current Sega fanboys. You know, the people who wouldn't have been caught dead with a SNES, N64, or a gameboy. I guess common sense would tell you the Xbox considering Sega had no real beef with Microsoft and actually used their Windows CE in the dreamcast. Sony is hated because of the ps vs. saturn rivalry and nintendo is hated for obvious reasons so does that mean fanboys hate the PS2 and Gamecube? Are these the people that put the Xbox in the # 2 top selling slot? Please advise.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ummmm......
    i love sega.. and dont own an xbox
    i own a dreamcast.. thats my current gen console... or closest i come to current.
    BLAST AWAY AND GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

You don't have to be a fanboy to have a favorite Sega system. When I think "Sega" I will always think of the Genesis, although truth be told I've probably spent more time on my Dreamcast than on a Genny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would think that hardcore Sega fanboys would hate any system that isn't Sega, including the Xbox. I don't really think that Xbox has more Sega games than the other current gen systems, it seems to me that it's pretty equal.

I would also guess that the Sega fanboys console of choice would either be the Genny or DC.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slip81
    I would think that hardcore Sega fanboys would hate any system that isn't Sega, including the Xbox. I don't really think that Xbox has more Sega games than the other current gen systems, it seems to me that it's pretty equal.

I would also guess that the Sega fanboys console of choice would either be the Genny or DC.
    I beg to differ, I'm a hardcore Sega fanboi and I appericate Xbox and PS2 what they have done for us. Then again, I don't really hate any system that gets Sega support.

My default system is the Genesis in 1st place and SMS in 2nd
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah i heart my genny and DC

i rarely play PS2. i never play gamecube. i just play NES ganny and DC

i am obcessive with sega games though, they all are so good.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While I don't think that hate is the correct term for which console people like more, I think that Sega fans would tend to lean toward the Cube or Xbox.

Both have Sonic titles.

Cube has Super Monkey Ball, F-Zero GX (man, seeing the credits with Nintendo and Sega on the same screen is weird), Billy Hatcher and so on.

Xbox has Jet Grind Radio, Sega GT, Crazy Taxi 3, Toe Jam and Earl III, House of the Dead III, Otogi, Panzer Dragoon, OutRun2 and so on.

The Cube got the cutesy Sega titles, the Xbox got the "hardcore" Sega titles.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So from the comments I've seen so far there are two main responses. Either you refuse to play anything post-dreamcast or you aren't blinded by the hardware and can stomach playing any of the new consoles if they have Sega games published for them.

I guess if I had to brand myself it would be as a Nintendo fanboy but I've always tried to get every console when it came out. I just support the Nintendo ones more than the others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    While I don't think that hate is the correct term for which console people like more, I think that Sega fans would tend to lean toward the Cube or Xbox.

Both have Sonic titles.

Cube has Super Monkey Ball, F-Zero GX (man, seeing the credits with Nintendo and Sega on the same screen is weird), Billy Hatcher and so on.

Xbox has Jet Grind Radio, Sega GT, Crazy Taxi 3, Toe Jam and Earl III, House of the Dead III, Otogi, Panzer Dragoon, OutRun2 and so on.

The Cube got the cutesy Sega titles, the Xbox got the "hardcore" Sega titles.
    Don't forget the PS2 with games like Rez and the Virtua Fighter 4s.
    The GBA has been getting some good stuff like Astro Boy and some of the THQ releases.
    Even Feel the Magic on the DS was pretty great.

They've put out some fine games for just about every current gen system out there right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally think that Sega has put out a bunch of great titles on all of the current systems, and thankfully, I own all those systems so I can enjoy Sega deliciousness.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sega is the only reason i own an xbox, though i do plan to mod the system for some MAME action

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I would guess the Xbox, since it seems to be getting the most Sega love these days. Although I can see the "hate everything" stance too, since they're the reason the Dreamcast isn't being made.

I think I'm one of the ones who thought the thread was "pick your favourite Sega machine," because I too thought Genesis right away. I easily play my Genny more than the other Sega machines combined.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I buy most of the SEGA offerings on the GameCube.
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    You don't have to be a fanboy to have a favorite Sega system. When I think "Sega" I will always think of the Genesis, although truth be told I've probably spent more time on my Dreamcast than on a Genny.

ok flack I think this picture is a little inaccurate. Everybody knows the jungle gym would collapseunder the weight of the X-box controller.
    Formerly letsallgameon

Strawberry (Level 2) ChronoTriggaFoo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats hilarious letsallgameon !!
    ***If you have any Transformers toys or Three Investigators books, let me know.***

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smashy
    Don't forget the PS2 with games like Rez and the Virtua Fighter 4s.
    The GBA has been getting some good stuff like Astro Boy and some of the THQ releases.
    Even Feel the Magic on the DS was pretty great.
    I wasn't thinking PS2 as much, because even though it got Rez and Headhunter, so did the Dreamcast. After checking at Sega.com just now though, the PS2 actually has the most listed Sega releases of the big three currently.

The more known franchises (other than Virtua Fighter) seem to go to Xbox and GameCube though.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vulcanjedi

Default Sega

Hmm

Here at my computer at my disposal to play is a Dreamcast, a Genesis with powerbase converter, and a Saturn. All switched to play on the monitor.

All get equal time but I have to admit to playing crazy taxi more than I should..

My 6 year old has my xbox tied up with some spongebob game but I don't care My 8 year old ties up the PS2 playing Magic Pengel or Kya..

I only disturb them to play Rez.

VJ

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ugh the DC is the current gen that i get most use off...xbox is next - you cant go wrong with titles like otogi 1 , 2, panzer dragoon orta , sonic heroes and jsrf

but now sega is releasing shining force neo on ps2..which means....i have to buy a ps2 and not keep using my younger siblings :P
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think a "must own" Sega system is of course the Genesis/Mega Drive.

As for the current (or soon to be "last generation") I realize that i will probably have to get both a PS2 and XBOX down the line (when they fall to about $100)

XBOX - Outrun 2 <----must own for me!
    PS2 - Hoping to find that REZ game and maybe that Trance Vibrator do-hicky.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sony is hated because of the ps vs. saturn rivalry and nintendo is hated for obvious reasons so does that mean fanboys hate the PS2 and Gamecube?
    There don't seem to be many people who are dead set in favor of the Saturn vs. the PS these days (not that there ever were all that many), I am only one of two that I have known personally, but I was kind of late to the Sega party, being a former Nintendo fanboy and all.

It seems like an awful lot of time has passed since the Nintendo nastiness went down, so I don't know why anyone would still harbor a grudge about that (not that I don't harbor grudges, but I don't want to waste time with that again...).

As far as Sega consoles go, the big one (in the US at least) was definitely the Genesis. I also remember being rather impressed with the Master System back in the day, before I realized why it was such a non-item. I might have been a Sega fan much earlier if I had known more about such things/had the money for extra consoles.

As far as collecting/playing is concerned I have focused largely on import Saturn games (I don't have much interest in paying high prices for English text; I can usually manage to read the Japanese in games).

Without the Genesis I don't think there would be many Sega fans in these parts. That was the only one that ever seemed hugely popular, though the DC always seemed fairly popular with people I would run across, even in mall game stores.

I rather like most of the Sega games on XBOX and Gamecube personally, but they almost don't feel like Sega games anymore. As for the other current system, I will simply say that I get a funny feeling in my gut playing anything on it because of the aforementioned Saturn and because of what happened with the DC.

As time goes by Sega's games seem to less and less resemble their previous works, IMO. Some of the people the company sacked were awfully important, and there seems to be relatively little sense of continuity between old games and new sequels.