Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 493

Thread: THE rarest Gamecube game?

  1. #1
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    joshnickerson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    2,919
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default THE rarest Gamecube game?

    I've noticed a few posts recently talking about the rarity of Gamecube games, and I remembered something I read in Nintendo Power. Apparently, before the release of Custom Robo here in the states, NOA sent out a demo disc containing a preview version of the game to select "Sages" from the Nintendo.com boards to "beta test" it. Now, that's all I remember and for all I know it could have just been the retail version sent out early (though why they would bother sending out a final version to be "beta tested" is beyond me), but I thought it might be interesting to find out more about. If anything, it could turn out to be the Cube's "holy grail"...

    DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

  2. #2
    Banana (Level 7) dbiersdorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    1,489
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Uh no, because it's a beta version, every game has a beta version it just depends who gets their hands on it. More of novelty then something spend their life and money towards, it's a nice thing to add to a collection, but in no means something that sticks out. Now Tower of Druaga bonus disc for GameCube will certainly become rare down the line.
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

  3. #3
    Pear (Level 6) Jive3D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,360
    3DS Friend
    2621-2749-0911
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    what about the Metal Gear Solid - The Twin Snakes japanese bonus disk with the original NES Metal Gear on it? That in the DP guide?

  4. #4
    ServBot (Level 11)
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,254
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jive3D
    what about the Metal Gear Solid - The Twin Snakes japanese bonus disk with the original NES Metal Gear on it? That in the DP guide?
    It all depends on if we're talking about the rarest commercially released game or not... but that one would definitely be high on any list.
    Egbert, I miss you...

  5. #5
    Banana (Level 7) dbiersdorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    1,489
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Yeah the Tower of Druaga and Metal Gear discs are certainly the rarest games available to the public as they were only given in limited production and under certain circumstances. Oddly enough they are both NES games too.
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

  6. #6
    Banana (Level 7)
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,467
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I believe that NCAA Basketball 2K3 is quite rare, and was selling for $70+ a few months ago. It has since gone down in price, but is still considered the rarest current generation game.

  7. #7
    Apple (Level 5) gamegirl79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Posts
    1,155
    Xbox LIVE
    Munchies879
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    What is the story behind the Tower of Druaga and Metal Gear bonus discs? I am working towards a complete Gamecube bonus disc collection and didn't even know about those. :/

  8. #8
    Apple (Level 5)
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Posts
    1,171
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Metal Gear bonus disc shipped w/Twin Snakes Gamecube.

    If it's available seperately, then I haven't heard about it. I'd like to get my hands on it, but only if I can get it by itself.

  9. #9
    Chaos Knight
    Mayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    8,915
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Correlation: it was only available with the Metal Gear Solid Gamecube bundle in Japan. After a copy myself actually. I have the Tower of Druaga disc (available from pre-ordering Baten Kaitos in Japan back end of 2003).

  10. #10
    Strawberry (Level 2) importaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    491
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    You can add the japanese versions of pacman vs & the zelda collection to the list too.

    The zelda collection was only available through club nintendo in japan. A few months back you could still get it but now its no longer on there so if you didn't get a copy thats it, your out of luck.

    As for pacman vs, there was a version released normally packaged inside copies of R racing evolution but the club nintendo version of pacman vs is different in content, it has the same game but theres a club nintendo screen when it boots up & there are some extra demo stuff on the disk too.

  11. #11
    ServBot (Level 11)
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,106
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I think that the Resident Evil Demo Disc will be one of the real rarities too. I just got the Pure Evil double pack today, and I entered my code and it took it and said the game would be on its way to me soon. It's the last day of the promotion, and according to the Pure Evil double pack, only 10,000 demos were made.

    I'm pretty excited by that
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

  12. #12
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    46
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    WHat about RE2? Not really rare but freaking expensive on ebay.

  13. #13
    Banana (Level 7) dbiersdorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    1,489
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    RE2 and RE3 are only costly because they have demand, once this generation of consoles passes no one will give a rats ass about the games.
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

  14. #14
    Apple (Level 5) gamegirl79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Posts
    1,155
    Xbox LIVE
    Munchies879
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    Correlation: it was only available with the Metal Gear Solid Gamecube bundle in Japan. After a copy myself actually. I have the Tower of Druaga disc (available from pre-ordering Baten Kaitos in Japan back end of 2003).
    In that case maybe I should stick to collecting only North American bonus discs.

  15. #15
    Avoiding OT Vectorman0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    CT - USA
    Posts
    4,397
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    In the US, as far as official releases go, I would say that the Soul Calibur II demo disc is the rarest. I'm pretty sure it was a pre-order bonus at TRU. I also only know of 3 copies in existence, and it is being a pain in the neck for me to find. As far as games go, I think that NCAA Basketball 2K3 is a rarity. But I think that at this stage early in the Gamecubes life, we really need to just wait and see which games come to be the trickiest to locate.


  16. #16
    Pear (Level 6) Jive3D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,360
    3DS Friend
    2621-2749-0911
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamegirl79
    What is the story behind the Tower of Druaga and Metal Gear bonus discs? I am working towards a complete Gamecube bonus disc collection and didn't even know about those. :/
    Yeah dude - Good Luck. Really though, the games are not worth the cash, it's all about those pretty boxes on the shelf.

    Really though..."Good Luck, You'll Need it!"

  17. #17
    Bell (Level 8) sabre2922's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Purgatory
    Posts
    1,789
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    RE2 and RE3 are only costly because they have demand, once this generation of consoles passes no one will give a rats ass about the games?????????????????????????????????????
    OK thats total bullshit the RE games are popular period and RE2 and RE3 were originally sold on the PSone my friend in case you are too young to remember and were also released on Dreamcast and PC.
    I have the DC version of RE3 and still play it today.
    the GC versions sell well on Ebay BECAUSE there is demand for them they have lasted through 2 GENERATIONS my friend so there will still be demand for them long after this generation

  18. #18
    Pretzel (Level 4)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    811
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Top Angler
    Disney Sports Titles
    Spirits and Spells
    Gotcha Force
    RedCard 2003

  19. #19
    Banana (Level 7) dbiersdorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    1,489
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922
    RE2 and RE3 are only costly because they have demand, once this generation of consoles passes no one will give a rats ass about the games?????????????????????????????????????
    OK thats total bullshit the RE games are popular period and RE2 and RE3 were originally sold on the PSone my friend in case you are too young to remember and were also released on Dreamcast and PC.
    I have the DC version of RE3 and still play it today.
    the GC versions sell well on Ebay BECAUSE there is demand for them they have lasted through 2 GENERATIONS my friend so there will still be demand for them long after this generation
    Well seeing as how I own the games for Dreamcast and Playstation, yeah, I do think I remember, chump. All I'm saying is, knowing Capcom and how they love to whore out their old treasures they'll rerelease the games once again, and if not the RE series will continue. Want to know why people don't pay $100 for RE2 for PSX? Because it's an old console. Once the GameCube is behind us the same will be said about these games. Only about 6 months ago RE2 and RE3 were selling for about $30-40 new, now because of RE4 being release they have skyrocketed in price.

    This isn't rocket science, it's the facts. I can prove it to you in years to come.
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

  20. #20
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    NCAA B-Ball 2K3 for GC sold something ridiculously low, like 6,000 copies.

    http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=14231

    That's Sega's sales from the current gen, which is where I got the 6,000 stat from.
    Sexy.

  21. #21
    Kirby (Level 13) zektor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Classic Jersey
    Posts
    5,394
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by einbebop44
    NCAA B-Ball 2K3 for GC sold something ridiculously low, like 6,000 copies.

    http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=14231

    That's Sega's sales from the current gen, which is where I got the 6,000 stat from.
    And that was the gift to my Secret Santa from me

  22. #22
    Key (Level 9) esquire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,885
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbiersdorf
    Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922
    RE2 and RE3 are only costly because they have demand, once this generation of consoles passes no one will give a rats ass about the games?????????????????????????????????????
    OK thats total bullshit the RE games are popular period and RE2 and RE3 were originally sold on the PSone my friend in case you are too young to remember and were also released on Dreamcast and PC.
    I have the DC version of RE3 and still play it today.
    the GC versions sell well on Ebay BECAUSE there is demand for them they have lasted through 2 GENERATIONS my friend so there will still be demand for them long after this generation
    Well seeing as how I own the games for Dreamcast and Playstation, yeah, I do think I remember, chump. All I'm saying is, knowing Capcom and how they love to whore out their old treasures they'll rerelease the games once again, and if not the RE series will continue. Want to know why people don't pay $100 for RE2 for PSX? Because it's an old console. Once the GameCube is behind us the same will be said about these games. Only about 6 months ago RE2 and RE3 were selling for about $30-40 new, now because of RE4 being release they have skyrocketed in price.

    This isn't rocket science, it's the facts. I can prove it to you in years to come.
    The SNES version of Chrono Trigger still goes for a lot of money while the version released on the PSX, the more advanced system, with updated graphics goes for less money. This is completely contrary to your argument and exposes the flaws in your logic.

    RE2 and RE3 are going for $70 or more because of supply and demand. There simply weren't that many of them as opposed to RE, RE0 and now RE4. Quite frankly, I don't see Capcom re-releasing RE2 and RE3 especially since they both have now been released on 3 consoles, with RE2 being released 2X on the PSX. It seems they produced a lot more RECV than RE2 and RE3 as I still see those new and used all over. Either that, or it wasn't as popular as the other two, and it now has been released on 4 consoles.

    Now the reason RE2 and RE3 on the PSX don't go for as much money is simple: Capcom flooded the market with those games when they were released. It is a lot simpler to find a PSX version of either game than the GC version. Even the DC versions are harder to find and go for more money than the PSX versions.

    Anyways, to get back on topic, other GC games that may be rare are Gauntlet Dark Legacy and Cubivore. However, I seem to recall there may have been a second run on Cubivore. Goblin Commander seems to be another one that I don't see very often, and it goes for $29.99 used at most game stores, while its XBOX and PS2 counterparts go for $9.99. I've only seen 1 used for the GC. Worms 3D, Space Raiders and Tube Slider may also be future rarities, but the price for them currently does not reflect that.

    You may also want to keep a lookout for the versions of I-Ninja and R: Racing Revolution that came with Pac-Man VS. The problem is, the cases didn't have a holder for the separate game disc like Pac-Man World did. They simply inserted the cd with instructions into the case. The only way you knew it came with the game was a sticker placed on the shrinkwrap. Another cool combo pack is Darkened Skye/Outlaw Golf. i don't see too many of those either. Haven't checked ebay lately.

    Other demos you may consider are the Mario Kart Double Dash version that came with the bonus disc if you pre-ordered it. Also, didn't they do a similar thing with Rogue Squadron III Rebel Strike?

    Lastly, I just recently picked up a version of Metroid Prime with a Metroid Prime 2 Echoes Bonus Disc in it. Does anybody know anything about this version and how you got it?

  23. #23
    Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Aussie2B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,569
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    81
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by esquire
    The SNES version of Chrono Trigger still goes for a lot of money while the version released on the PSX, the more advanced system, with updated graphics goes for less money. This is completely contrary to your argument and exposes the flaws in your logic.
    What's updated about Chrono Trigger's graphics? To the best of my knowledge, all they did was add some lame anime FMV sequences. The PlayStation version of Chrono Trigger is pretty widely considered inferior to the SNES version due to painful loading times and such. That's one reason why the original goes for more money.

    Really, it could go either way. Let's just say that Capcom does re-release RE2 and 3 in a future console generation: if it's a poor effort and the GameCube versions remain superior, they may still keep their current value; if the new versions are considered even better than the older ones, the GameCube versions may lose a lot of their value.

  24. #24
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Posts
    11
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by esquire
    Lastly, I just recently picked up a version of Metroid Prime with a Metroid Prime 2 Echoes Bonus Disc in it. Does anybody know anything about this version and how you got it?
    Came with Metroid Prime Gamecube bundle pack.

  25. #25
    Strawberry (Level 2) mizarkgram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Weyburn, SK
    Posts
    487
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zektor
    Quote Originally Posted by einbebop44
    NCAA B-Ball 2K3 for GC sold something ridiculously low, like 6,000 copies.

    http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=14231

    That's Sega's sales from the current gen, which is where I got the 6,000 stat from.
    And that was the gift to my Secret Santa from me
    And I thank you!

Similar Threads

  1. Rarest Game(s)
    By Space-Ace-13 in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-19-2012, 12:38 AM
  2. Rarest USA SMS Game?
    By Cauterize in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 12-09-2007, 08:52 AM
  3. The rarest DS game?
    By Roi in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-16-2007, 01:27 PM
  4. Which is the rarest NES game...
    By bizbiz in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-24-2005, 07:15 PM
  5. What are the rarest Gamecube, Ps2, GBA games?
    By GameNinja in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-14-2004, 11:39 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •