Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: THE rarest Gamecube game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, can't believe we're talking about this one again.

To avoid any confusion, let's get our ducks in a row.

Like with ANY system library, you have the following to consider:

US release vs. Non-US release

Retail release, or packaging bonus.

Having said that, this discussion was clearly mentioning the second choice for each subcategory.

If you are asking what is the "rarest" US offical release, not some preorder bonus or packaging gimmick designed to clear out the warehouse of extra stuff, then the answer is simple.

Sega Sports NCAA College Basketball. Period.

This is not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of numbers.

If you are asking what the rarest US release is that can be played on a Gamecube, then that's where it gets dodgy.

US official releases that were done as a preorder (Star Wars Arcade, Pokemon Colluseum) really are not difficult to find at all. Will they be someday, who the hell knows. The two disc releases are probably going to be harder to find.

I've said this one before, and I will say it again - the Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III - Rebel Strike that is packaged with the bonus preorder disc in the two disc snap-case with the actual game release and orange sticker on the front is probably the hardest of the US releases.

I have one, and have not heard, nor seen anyone else claim to have one. I know there are more out there, but you certainly cannot get one now at retail. They were only sold at Target, although there is nothing mentioning Target on the packaging.

Other packaging releases that may be harder to locate are the ones with retailer specific information on them - Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour with the Target Bullseye Tour packaging for example. Also, the KMart releases for Super Mario Sunshine and StarFox (for example.)

If you honestly want to know what import-only releases may become the rarest, you may as well stop now.

This is just like the yearly discussion about which NES releases should and should not be considered part of the "official list".

Collect imports if you like, obviously. Just don't expect them to show up in the DP US Gamecube release guide.

Sorry to ramble...

Steve
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I reckon the rarest GameCube games will be the ones that you get with your *Stars* on the Nintendo site... Ie, Pokemon Box (Standalone version) and Zelda: Ocarina Of Time & Master Quest (Standalone version)

Although these games are available as extra discs in other games, the standalone versions are much rarer - Pokemon box only having had around 4000 copies made. (PAL version)

Of course, the disc which comes with Pokemon Colloseum is far more common, as is the Zelda disc which comes with Wind Waker...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i got a major score by finding a copy of NCAA Basketball 2K3 for cube for 15 bucks at EB of all places. The original price tag was 45 bucks, but there was a 15 price tag slapped on top of it (with the name of the game and everything, it wasnt a scam). I guess nobody was biting at 45, their loss my gain

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*From the Sega link*

"GC - Puyo Pop Fever - 2,921"

Glad I preordered mine.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dobie
    *From the Sega link*

"GC - Puyo Pop Fever - 2,921"

Glad I preordered mine.
    Even my mother-in-law has a copy of Puyo Pop Fever.

I seriously see that game everywhere. Everywhere meaning more than enough to have 20+ sealed copies if I really desired to spend $20 a game to buy 'em.

I'm not sure that's so much a rarity as it is a game that nobody bought.

I'm sure I'll scoop up a few of 'em though when the price drops.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i fail to understand why the ncaa basketball is considered rarest when the numbers clearly point to puyo pop fever...??

though i guess those are sales figures and not production figures.

Chaos Knight
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When over visiting QoF in November, I think I saw Puyo Pop Fever in almost every store we went to. Neither of us have ever seen NCAA Basketball in a store. About sums it up there

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess I shoulda just been clearer about what I was talking about.

The only thing I'm really interested in is if anybody has or knows anyone else who has these Custom Robo discs.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Chaos Knight
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Picked one up in November too, I think I saw it at about 2-3 shops in total. So yeah it wasn't that easy to find.

(having said that, QoF has about 30 stores within 20 miles of where she lives so it's gaming trawl heaven whenever I go to visit!)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

K, I have a chance to pick up a used but not so great condition Ikaruga for $12.99 at my local Game Crazy. Does the sound like a good deal and should I pick it up?
    Systems owned: 2600, 5200, Lynx, Jaguar w/CD, Commodore 64, NES, SNES, N64 w/DrV64, Gamecube, GB, GBA SP, Game.com, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Turbo Grafx 16, Game Gear, Master System, Genesis w/32X and CD, JVC X'Eye, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, PSP, Xbox, Xbox 360, Wii.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds good to me. Especially if its just the case that's in bad condition. As long as the cover art is okay, you can always switch it out to a better case.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Depends on what's not in good condition.

Awesome game, period, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qbertandernie
    i fail to understand why the ncaa basketball is considered rarest when the numbers clearly point to puyo pop fever...??

though i guess those are sales figures and not production figures.
    You nailed it...
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i cant believe puyo pop did that poorly. wow.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why are people talking about supply and demand? You say supply and demand but there will always be a cause on WHY the price went up in just a few months, just like Suikoden1/2 went up in price. Why did they go up in price? Becuz Suikoden 4 and Resident Evil 4 came out, hello dummy people that brung up supply and demand. Dont say it if you dont know what ur talking about.
    Only saing something pointless like "o its supply and demand", what about it?No one even mentioned about those games causing the Price eqilibrium going up due to supply going down and the demand going up. I hate Economics, so gay the class.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gopro
    Why are people talking about supply and demand? You say supply and demand but there will always be a cause on WHY the price went up in just a few months, just like Suikoden1/2 went up in price. Why did they go up in price? Becuz Suikoden 4 and Resident Evil 4 came out, hello dummy people that brung up supply and demand. Dont say it if you dont know what ur talking about.
    Only saing something pointless like "o its supply and demand", what about it?No one even mentioned about those games causing the Price eqilibrium going up due to supply going down and the demand going up. I hate Economics, so gay the class.
    No offense, honestly, but I have no idea what you're talking about.

Your facts aren't even correct.

Supply and demand is EXTREMELY important to the relative pricing of video game (and all) collectables.

The more of something there is, the easier it is to get. The easier it is to get, the more competition there is amongst sellers. This results in price reduction - PERIOD.

The less there is of something, the harder it is to get. The harder it is to get, the less competition there is amongst sellers. This results in sellers being able to ass-rape the interested buyers - PERIOD.

This is the heart of capitalism, and has everything to do with prices getting out of hand.

Unfortunately, the only problem with this model is that there can be instances of incorrect information relating to supply. Some jackasses start the word of mouth that something is harder to find than it really is. Next thing, it's friggin' gospel. No real factual data to back that information up, mind you, but everyone believes what they hear.

Next thing, the prices go up, and up. After a while, they plateau, and will come back down after all those folks who "have to have it" spend a fortune. Assuming the supply is still there, the price will definitely decrease.

Oh, and by the way, the release of Suikoden IV and Resident Evil 4 have almost absolutely nothing to do with the prices of the previous releases going up. Suikoden II has been selling for top dollar for a while now - even before part III was released.

However, if people play the new ones and like them, but never played the older ones, they may get interested in trying part I or II - and seek them out.

That doesn't necessarily mean they will pay top dollar to get them though.

Sorry for the Econ lesson, but what you said simply isn't true.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix
    I reckon the rarest GameCube games will be the ones that you get with your *Stars* on the Nintendo site... Ie, Pokemon Box (Standalone version) and Zelda: Ocarina Of Time & Master Quest (Standalone version)

Although these games are available as extra discs in other games, the standalone versions are much rarer - Pokemon box only having had around 4000 copies made. (PAL version)

Of course, the disc which comes with Pokemon Colloseum is far more common, as is the Zelda disc which comes with Wind Waker...
    I agree.. the two Zelda promos for Gamecube will definitely be rare.

For Resident Evil 2 & 3, I'm betting Capcom will either re-release / issue a re-print of the games or possibly release a collector's box, like they did in Japan.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zshadow
    I agree.. the two Zelda promos for Gamecube will definitely be rare.
    I don't know about both demos, but the Master Quest/Ocarina really isn't rare. Anybody who preordered WW got a copy--and the numbers from Nintendo said that WW had 560,000+ preorders. Dunno if all of those people got a bonus disc, but I'm willing to bet a lot of them did.
    -Dobie

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whoops. Double post. Server is going really slow today.
    -Dobie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    I think that the Resident Evil Demo Disc will be one of the real rarities too. I just got the Pure Evil double pack today, and I entered my code and it took it and said the game would be on its way to me soon. It's the last day of the promotion, and according to the Pure Evil double pack, only 10,000 demos were made.

I'm pretty excited by that
    I'm pretty sure the demo was the Resident Evil 4 preview disc, which was given out like candy at EBgames and Gamestop.

Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Promophile
    Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    I think that the Resident Evil Demo Disc will be one of the real rarities too. I just got the Pure Evil double pack today, and I entered my code and it took it and said the game would be on its way to me soon. It's the last day of the promotion, and according to the Pure Evil double pack, only 10,000 demos were made.

I'm pretty excited by that
    I'm pretty sure the demo was the Resident Evil 4 preview disc, which was given out like candy at EBgames and Gamestop.
    There are actually two versions of the RE4 demo disc. One that was sold in stores in a regular gamecube case, and other that was in a carboard mailer. I don't know the rarity of the one in the cardboard mailer, but it has a vietiful joe 2 advertisement on it that takes up half of the cover.

http://home.comcast.net/~teamjigglyp...demo-front.jpg

And while we are on the topic of demo's, I want to make sure everyone understands that the Soul Calibur II demo will probably be the most rare, especially with it's cardboard sleeve.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by orrimarrko

No offense, honestly, but I have no idea what you're talking about.

Your facts aren't even correct.

Supply and demand is EXTREMELY important to the relative pricing of video game (and all) collectables.

The more of something there is, the easier it is to get. The easier it is to get, the more competition there is amongst sellers. This results in price reduction - PERIOD.

The less there is of something, the harder it is to get. The harder it is to get, the less competition there is amongst sellers. This results in sellers being able to ass-rape the interested buyers - PERIOD.

This is the heart of capitalism, and has everything to do with prices getting out of hand.

Unfortunately, the only problem with this model is that there can be instances of incorrect information relating to supply. Some jackasses start the word of mouth that something is harder to find than it really is. Next thing, it's friggin' gospel. No real factual data to back that information up, mind you, but everyone believes what they hear.

Next thing, the prices go up, and up. After a while, they plateau, and will come back down after all those folks who "have to have it" spend a fortune. Assuming the supply is still there, the price will definitely decrease.

Oh, and by the way, the release of Suikoden IV and Resident Evil 4 have almost absolutely nothing to do with the prices of the previous releases going up. Suikoden II has been selling for top dollar for a while now - even before part III was released.

However, if people play the new ones and like them, but never played the older ones, they may get interested in trying part I or II - and seek them out.

That doesn't necessarily mean they will pay top dollar to get them though.

Sorry for the Econ lesson, but what you said simply isn't true.
    I dont think I said Supply and Demand wasnt important, people are only saying its becuz of Supply and Demand. They have no idea what theyre talking about.Lemme say it again, I said that the price of RE2/3 went up due to the release of RE4, if RE4 did not come out the price wouldnt even have changed. The price be4 RE2 on ebay was MAYBE $70, and RE3 was selling for barely nething. As for Suikoden1/2 went up in price due to Suikoden4 coming out, if it wasnt for SK4 to come out those games wouldnt have risen. SK1 was barely selling for $30, and SK2 was selling for MAYBE $120, now SK1 goes for $50+ and SK2 goes for $150. Thats what I was saying. Since ur telling me that it wasnt due to RE4/SK4 releases, why did it go up? It couldnt have been for nothing. Yes SK2 was selling for Top$ but now you need to give up gold for that game since SK4 came out, but still those other games went up in price, I wonder why then.
    People want to collect the 4 games, and waste $300 on both series. O well the prices should calm down soon.
    Thx for econ lessons but maybe you shuould go back, becuz prices are not gonna soar up just when both games about to get released. Its not coincidental. Please explain to me why the prices went up, just when RE4 and SK4 came out. Dont say becuz people played the recent ones so they decide to buy the old ones, dont say becuz it was coincidental or dont tell me it was becuz of supply, the supply did not even change. My way is the only possible way the prices couldve risen.

See what u made me do, had to write down all this and waste my time with you when Iknow im correct, damn it.

Chaos Knight
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I said that the price of RE2/3 went up due to the release of RE4, if RE4 did not come out the price wouldnt even have changed.
    Actually the price of both RE2 and RE3 on the Cube went up long before RE4 came out. In fact it seems to have spiked directly after the release of the second RE film at the cinema...

Xbox LIVE
    JB Lars
    PSN
    JBLars
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sum poorle speld inglish
    Tell you what, sparky. Your economic debate might be better received if you'd:

a) provide facts and figures
    b) use real words and sentences

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Could someone tell me the story behind NCAA Basketball?
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?