Thread: Pirates! The Remake of a Remake

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Pirates! The Remake of a Remake

I'm not sure how many people are playing this game (PC only), but it isn't half-bad. For those who are interested, it is a remake of the old Pirates! (1987) game that appeared on the C64, other computers and the NES. There was a remake in 1993 called Pirates! Gold. Now, comes this... (and people think that Hollywood is bad?)

Anyway, of couse there are pretty graphics and all, but the gameplay has been improved a little bit. I'm not going to go for a full review here, but the combat is fun, and the dancing mini-game is also moderately enjoyable. I like the strategy component when you attack the towns, although it's a little slow. The game is quite repetitive though.

What I find strange in this game is that you look like the stereotypical hero, with the perfect hair and all, yet you are murdering hundreds of innocent seamen and ravaging towns. Yet, the game also presents your enemies as evil. Of course, they're ugly with scars, etc. And when you meet them at sea, the game displays in giant caps, EVIL!! It's kinda weird how they portray it all, especially considering that there's relatively little penalty for being evil in the game, yet it sort of glorifies it. I find it quite odd.

Either way, it's worth a look on the PC, especially if you are tired of the other 99% of the PC games out there right now, which pretty much includes only the MMORPG, RTS, FPS genres.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Here's a few other people that are playing it!

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46658

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I first played Pirates! on my Commodore 64. It quickly became one of my favorite games of all time .I loved the fact that there was no strict storyline you had to follow. You could be a trader, a buccaneer working for one or more governments, or you could be a Pirate attacking and killing everyone in your path. There was combat, economics, romance, and a nice sized world to explore.

When Pirates Gold! came out I had a 486 Dx2 66. I loved chance to once again play this game with updated graphics.

Now we get a new version to once again reflect the current level of technology and to allow a new generation of gamers who might miss it to play a great game .

Sid Meier is a gaming legend and a genius and I hope he makes a bundle off of this game. IMO this is one of the greatest games ever made and the new version is welcome. I hope that in 10 years he keeps it going with a new update.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Thanks for bringing up my old thread, Flack.

Yes, the game DOES need a patch, cause it has some issues running on my system. Beyond that, though, it's a great game and one I am still playing.

BTW, it includes Pirates Gold (win 3.0) NOT Pirates.

And there is going to be a XBox version out later this year.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion