View Poll Results: About to beat Arkanoid. Any other Arkanoid fans out there?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hate it

0 0%
  • Meh - whatever

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About to beat Arkanoid. Any other Arkanoid fans out there?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default About to beat Arkanoid. Any other Arkanoid fans out there?

I really love this game. About a year ago I beat it on normal mode, now I am playing it on hard mode and am at level 88 of 99. This is the one for Super Nintendo (Doh it again). Lots of fun. I'll probably beat it tonight. Any other Arkanoid fans out there?

I tried to do a poll but it is f'd up for some reason no matter what I do. since I screwed it up the first time
    SNES Collector
    My collection: <a href=http://www32.brinkster.com/v1richstore/MyCollection/MyCollection.htm>Plain Text</a> Always willing to Buy/Sell/Trade
    <a href=http://stores.ebay.com/retrogamingheadquarters?&refid=store>My Ebay Store</a>

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Yeah I really like Arkanoid. Way back when, when I got my first VGA card and color monitor for my XT, the first game I played with it was Arkanoid. I just enjoy breakout-style games in general. Super Breakout for VCS is a great title. I think that an Arkanoid arcade machine would be something fun to own. The game plays pretty well in MAME if you use a mouse.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

super nes arkanoid is really easy, the NES version with the paddle controller is a better test of skills

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I adore Arkanoid and Breakout style games. My favorite was probably Arkanoid 2 for the PC. I also really liked Breakout 2000 for the Jaguar and I play Arkanoid for the NES often, even though I pretty much suck at it without the controller.

I really wish Wizard Blocks Pinball had come out. It would've been breakout with a real ball in a Pinball 2000 -- Star Wars / Revenge From Mars -- machine. Dang that would've been great.

I wish there were some updates to the formula. Perhaps there will be a new game like it that will come out for some system in the next year that will attempt to make some improvements on the idea... Hmmm... Sounds like it would make a good Dreamcast game
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    I adore Arkanoid and Breakout style games. My favorite was probably Arkanoid 2 for the PC. I also really liked Breakout 2000 for the Jaguar and I play Arkanoid for the NES often, even though I pretty much suck at it without the controller.

I really wish Wizard Blocks Pinball had come out. It would've been breakout with a real ball in a Pinball 2000 -- Star Wars / Revenge From Mars -- machine. Dang that would've been great.

I wish there were some updates to the formula. Perhaps there will be a new game like it that will come out for some system in the next year that will attempt to make some improvements on the idea... Hmmm... Sounds like it would make a good Dreamcast game
    Yup Arkanoid 2 is the one to which I was referring. Revenge of Doh is what it's called, right?

It would be cool to see an updated title, but the only way I see that happening is if it's one of those $10 budget titles released by some no-name company at the end of a console's life cycle.

Chris

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I'm a huge Arkanoid fan, too. I have trouble playing it on MAME because it only shows up in a little window on my computer (I don't have no snazzy video card to expand the image), but I still try and try. The original arcade game is probably my favorite (I just love the presentation; the bright colors, the music and deep bass-heavy sound effects...awesome!)

That SNES game is great fun, too. Did anybody play the newer arcade game fom a few years ago? What was it called...I can't even remember, but it was an official Arkanoid game from Taito. It had a 2-player co-op mode. My friend and I spent a lot of time at Gameworks playing that.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba
    Yeah I really like Arkanoid. Way back when, when I got my first VGA card and color monitor for my XT, the first game I played with it was Arkanoid. I just enjoy breakout-style games in general. Super Breakout for VCS is a great title. I think that an Arkanoid arcade machine would be something fun to own. The game plays pretty well in MAME if you use a mouse.

Chris
    There is a horrible condition arkanoid cab here at school....the paddle is so freaking loose it flops over. if you grab it and try to turn it, there is grinding and screeching.

But yeah, i'm quite the arkanoid/breakout fan. anyone who is -needs- nes thunder and lightning.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba
    Yup Arkanoid 2 is the one to which I was referring. Revenge of Doh is what it's called, right?
    Yes, although it took me years to find that out. In fact, I didn't even know it was Arkanoid 2 for the longest time. I think that I bought Arkanoid for the NES in 94 or 95, and I was pissed that it was so much crappier than the PC version...

My grandpa had the sequel on his PC. After he had to move out of his house when we were going through all of his stuff, I found the manual for Arkanoid: Revenge of Doh PC and actually found out what I had been playing. By the way, the PC version had the sweeeeeeetest instruction manual -- it had a comic detailing the whole adventure.

It would be cool to see an updated title, but the only way I see that happening is if it's one of those $10 budget titles released by some no-name company at the end of a console's life cycle.
    Hmmmm... sounds like you're onto something
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Count me as an Arkanoid fan. In the '80s, a cabinet showed up at a local pizza place. I didn't get to go there very often, but always played it when I did. I think I only managed to get to level 3 or so.

I remember hoping that a 2600 version would come out, since that was the only system I owned at the time. Later, when I traded up to the NES, I can recall taking a 45-minute drive to get the NES cart when it came out (no stores sold NES games in my area). It became one of the few video games my parents would actually play. I remember crowding around the TV, taking turns playing the game... good times. The Vaus controller broke all the time, but my mother worked with electronics for a living and usually could patch it up. The controller was too small for her though, and eventually we removed the grey shell and replaced it with a big blue plastic box and the paddle with a large knob from a dimmer lightswitch. Unfortunately, it finally broke permanently and we threw it away.

I've beaten the NES game, but only by using the continue code. Ironically, I've only beaten it with a D-pad, never by using the paddle controller. I've got a new one now, but I'm afraid to use it and risk it breaking!

I recently picked up the Famicom version of Arkanoid II (never released in the states), but haven't tried it yet. The wife's Dragon Warrior II obsession has tied up my A/V Fami for the time being .

"only to be trapped in space, warped by someone..."
    o2william's Found & Lost

The Odyssey² Homepage! - Visit it for Sync-Sound Action!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Highest I ever got on NES Arkanoid without the cheat is level 12. Its def one of my top 20 NES favs.
    if you can read this congratulations!! you can read

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm surprised noahsmybro hasn't tuned in, that guy can tear through the NES version while carrying on a lengthy conversation, no sweat.

Arkanoid has always been one of my MAME favorites because (a) it plays well with a mouse and (b) it's one of those games that seems to work flawlessly on every PC out there.

A laundromat near where I used to live had an Arkanoid machine...the dial was apparently broken or stolen, so the op replaced it with an oven dial. It actually worked pretty well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never really payed attention to my score or which level I've attained, so I have no idea how I compare to you guys who've chimed in.

However, considering I find the NES version pretty easy, and I've never played the SNES version, my first reaction to the post above saying the NES cart is harder than the SNES game was surprise and disagreement.

The sandwich shop across from my high school had an Arkanoid, and I played it a lot during high school. (Yeah, I meant to say during high school. I can't even count hwo many times I played straight through classes. I wasn't the best student in the school, to understate things.... But I was unbeatable on Xevious, Spy Hunter, Arkanoid, & Elevator Action. Unfortunately I never managed to become the best among my peers at Marble Madness, Discs of Tron (I was real close on this one), Peter Packrat, Pole Position, or Karate Champ.

Those were the games of my high school sandwich shop. Well, the ones I liked, anyway. I don't really remember the others very well. I know there was a Punch Out, Dragon's Lair, some Tag Team wrestling game, and probably others that came and went.
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I absolutely love Arkanoid. In fact, I modified a SNES mouse so I could play Doh it Again the right way:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

I swear, I love this game, but it raises WAY too much anger while playing, mostly because the goddamn ball moves too fast and it's a pain to keep up with, even with the assistance of the special controller. If I had a dollar for every time my head exploded after losing a game of Arkanoid... well, I'd have zero dollars, since I would not be alive if my head had actually detonated, and since I'm typing this, I must be alive, and ergo, I must still have a head... up my butt.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Pretzel (Level 4) Goodwill Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love arkanoid, but have never finished any of the various incarnations of the game. For those determined few that have...do they tell you who that "Someone..." is after you beat it?

Rich
    Tomorrow's Past is Yesterday's Future Today!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Quote Originally Posted by Goodwill Hunter
    I love arkanoid, but have never finished any of the various incarnations of the game. For those determined few that have...do they tell you who that "Someone..." is after you beat it?

Rich
    I believe the "someone" you are referring to is Doh. Yes, its name is Doh. Yes, pronounced like Homer Simpson. D'OH! Doh is... a giant Easter Island/Moai head. Yes, like the ones in Gradius.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gatchaman17

Arkanoid all the way for me too. Would Love to play the cabinet again.....

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I love Arkanoid. My buddies and I used to have competitions to see who could get the high score. I used to be able to beat the arcade version easily. I still play my Famicom(arkanoid and arkanoid 2) versions. I like the snes version but I found it to be easy. I also own an Arkanoid 2 Revenge of Doh! cocktail cab but sadly its been on the shelf for a few months waiting to get fixed I am currently trying to track down Arkanoid Returns for the PSX.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm an Arkanoid fan too. I played it in the arcades in the late 1980s, and recently I've been playing it on a 260-in-1 NES pirate. I can set my number of lives (I need many dozens...), so I finally can beat it once in a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I own the SNES version and play it from time to time. Definitely a fun game. I plan on playing through the whole thing someday.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.