Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TurboGrafx-16 is the best retro console out there........

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default TurboGrafx-16 is the best retro console out there........

Ok, so this is just my personal opinion, but still hear me out on this.

I just got done playing the turbo for a nice 3 hour session, and let me tell you, it was an absolute blast. The TG-16 has to be one of the most underated consoles in the history of gaming. The system has some truly amazing games, and to think that this system is basically a 8 bit machine on some high grade crack, well, it's just amazing.

I just got done playing Bonk's Adventure, and let me tell you, that game is pure fun and pure playability all the way. And talk about the music! The background music in Bonk's Adventure is absolutely amazing! Off Topic, but does anybody know how to get a MP3 of the music in Bonk's Adventure?

The color in Bonk's Adventure is amazing too, I don't remember the exact specs, but one of the turbo's key features was the fact that it could display so many colors on the screen at one time, and the palette of colors it had to choose from.

The turbo is just absolutely perfect as a retro console. It's old enough to be trully retro, but young enough to still have high quality graphics and true stereo sound.

Playing games like Blazing Lasers, Bonk's Adventure, Legendary Axe, Military Madness, Splatterhouse, Aero Blasters, Dungeon Explorer, Devil's Crush, Ninja Spirit, etc, etc, etc.

The sad thing is that the american version of the PC-Engine lived such a short and abbreviated life. It had such a small number of games that actually came out. The good thing was, that it still had a solid 20 games that had a very unique and distinct flavor to them.

I love the damn Turbo.

The SNES is my favorite system of all time, but damn, the Turbo comes in a very close second.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Turbo really does stand the test of time making it a great retro system. I can say that because I never had one until early last year when I got one for the first time. One element that makes older systems fun for me is the nostalgic aspect but when you never had one the system has to really stand up on its own with great games. I've discovered allot of great games for the system since I started collecting along with a few that took me by surprise like World Court Tennis.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just started with the PCE/Turbo stuff a couple years ago and I already have about 70 games I would never part with. There is a huge amount of stuff that was Japan only in that though (I have a PCE DUO R BTW). Some of the quality imports are very reasonably priced (though many aren't). There were a good number of great shooters here in the states, but in Japan multiply that by (insert large number here). Fortunately the cost of the import games isn't entirely based on quality (like every other system is I suppose...). I'm glad I didn't have to pay the kind of money that Sapphire sells for to get Spriggan (the first one, and it has nothing to do with the anime etc.), Star Parodia, etc.

Didn't take long to become my favorite console...

Also, while it was technically 8-bit, the custom processor (HU6280 isn't it) is faster than the SNES processor, which kind of deflates all of the "it's not 16-bit" whining from back in the day. I don't remember what the relative clock speeds are, but just wanted to point out that a lower clock speed doesn't mean a slower processor (neither does the bit thing either of course). Not that hardware is the thing to judge consoles on, just thought it was interesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

= ) Wait till you play the cd games ever more so .
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what i like about the turbo is that it was the last console to exist in its own little world. all of the NEC/hudson stuff that never made it to another console gave it a distinctive feel so lacking in todays consoles. right down to the HU cards and the black/orange color scheme.
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I Really Want One
    Stupid Europe!

(Anyone have a spare one with common games? )

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

My favorite retro system changes like the weather, but yeah, I can go along with the "best retro console ever" claim for today at least.

The card games are pretty cool and compared to the cartridge games of the era, they're very distinctive: bright colors, very tight controls, noticeably fast gameplay (when required).

If you're only playing the US HuCards, you're getting about 15% of the fun. There are TONS of great games on the PC Engine which sadly for NEC didn't get over here, but luckily for us today are pretty easy to track down and play on a PC Engine, Duo, emulator, what have you. Seriously, take a look at our online guide. Select "Non-US Games" and TurboGrafx and just look at the difference!

And of course, if you're only playing HuCards, even the imports, you're only getting about 45% of the fun. To get the real gusto of the Duo you have to witness the audio from many of the CD games. Some of the greatest soundtracks ever came from this system's games. I'll leave you to discover Castlevania, Shadow of the Beast, Y's, and others, you'll see (well, HEAR) what I mean.

A 3-hour session with my Duo sounds like the perfect Friday night date! Thanks for the idea, Anthony.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What really turned me onto the Turbo when I got it (back in '89, when I was 10) was how it felt like a turbocharged Master System.

I had gotten used to playing R-Type on my buddy's SMS, but when I got it on the TURBO for my birthday one year, well...
    Nothing else really needs to be said.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i just got back into the Turbo late last year, and i cant believe i went so long without one. It could be the system with the best average fun per game.
    Eyes - Pete and Pete, Bullet Ballet
    Ears - Exploding Hearts , Tattle Tales
    Hands - Neutopia II, NBA Live 05

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not my favorite of all time (guess which one that is?), but yes, the TG-16 does indeed rock the world.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

What I wouldn't give to have my Duo and my old collection of TG16/PCE CDROM games back...

Yeah, it's a great system. One of the best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I broke down and bought a duo about 6-8 months ago without ever even having played a turbografx (except via emulation). Not having played these games in my youth, I agree that overall the system is very timeless.

Everything I've played is just so well done...minimal slowdown, good control, none of that flickering, and colors on par with the snes. Shooters are just amazing on this little machine. I have the Gradius II cd and it just blows the snes gradius III out of the water in every way possible. I only have about 7 games, but there's at least 20 on my 'to get soon' list.

I'm not sure if it is my favorite, or if I even have a favorite, but it's damn good. There's just something about it I can't put my finger on that makes the games so fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got a PC Engine last year with a bunch of games, but I never got it to work D: I'd really like to play the system some day, especially with all those shmups released for it. I should try and get me another console some day ^^
    Wii: 8285 8147 1575 6278

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loooooove my Turbografx!!! I really need to buy some more games for it, though. And I still need to dig up the cash for a turboduo.
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Strawberry (Level 2) Mr.Faxanadu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ya… I also love the TG-16. Just a couple of months ago I replayed Turbo Lab Twin to completion. That is one fun rpg/racing game. I just added the CD unit to my collection a couple of years ago. I picked it up from a pawn shop with Y’s 1, 2 and 3 for $30. Also found fighting street – I think this is the first appearance of Ryo. It’s a pretty fun fighting game.
    Check out HitpointZ.com to see all my items for sale!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never really had much interest in the system until recently, when I've gotten bitten by the shooter bug.

I also understand that there were a couple of Y's games released, in English, for TG16? Am I thinking of another system or is that right? That'd motivate me right there....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WanganRunner
    I never really had much interest in the system until recently, when I've gotten bitten by the shooter bug.

I also understand that there were a couple of Y's games released, in English, for TG16? Am I thinking of another system or is that right? That'd motivate me right there....
    Yes, Ys I & II come packaged together for CD.

I love the Turbo. I can't say it's top system but it's awesome. Bonk, Dracula X, Blazing Lazers, Chew Man Fu, Military Madness, Ninja Spirit, Son Son II, Gate of Thunder, Neutopia, etc. - such good times.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have many reasons for this being my favorite system ever. Many of the ones mentioned here already, but the main reason it holds such a special place in my heart is because I got one for Christmas way back in the day. When all of my friends had the SNES or the Genny, I was the only one with a Turbografx-16. So while I was a little jealous of the rpg's, arcade ports, and overall support of the other two. The fact that my house was the only one on the block where my friends could come over for some 5 player Dungeon Explorer or any of the "TV Sports" games more than made up for it.

The uniqueness of the games as well as the nostalgia is why this is the only system I truely collect for.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drewbrim
    I have many reasons for this being my favorite system ever. Many of the ones mentioned here already, but the main reason it holds such a special place in my heart is because I got one for Christmas way back in the day. When all of my friends had the SNES or the Genny, I was the only one with a Turbografx-16. So while I was a little jealous of the rpg's, arcade ports, and overall support of the other two. The fact that my house was the only one on the block where my friends could come over for some 5 player Dungeon Explorer or any of the "TV Sports" games more than made up for it.

The uniqueness of the games as well as the nostalgia is why this is the only system I truely collect for.
    Yeah, me too. Got my Turbo for Christmas years ago and it was love. Great system.

Of course no one has mentioned Bomberman 93. Shame on all of you. EVERYONE loves that game as it's easily one of the best multiplayer games around. It's easy to play and 5 players can blow the hell out of each other.

*swoon*
    Check out my site for Turbo Grafx/Duo, PCE, SuperGuns, and Sega Genesis mods and more.....
    http://www.multimods.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have very faint memories of playing on a system loooong ago with my Uncle. He borrowed it from a friend with 2 or 3 games...one of them being "Y's" (It's the only thing I know for sure of this entire memory). The other game was some sidescrolling shooter, but I remember it looking so awesome for it's time that it was like I was in the arcade. I also remember the actual cartridge being really small too, is that a HUcard?

So now I'm guessing we were playing a Turbographix...a system I have absolutely no knowledge of besides that faint memory. It sounds like a console that really needs to be in my collection. So is there a certain model I should look out for on eBay? Is it an expensive console to get games for compared to others?