Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TurboGrafx-16 is the best retro console out there........

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lord007
    I have very faint memories of playing on a system loooong ago with my Uncle. He borrowed it from a friend with 2 or 3 games...one of them being "Y's" (It's the only thing I know for sure of this entire memory). The other game was some sidescrolling shooter, but I remember it looking so awesome for it's time that it was like I was in the arcade. I also remember the actual cartridge being really small too, is that a HUcard?

So now I'm guessing we were playing a Turbographix...a system I have absolutely no knowledge of besides that faint memory. It sounds like a console that really needs to be in my collection. So is there a certain model I should look out for on eBay? Is it an expensive console to get games for compared to others?

Well obviously those of us responding to this thread think you should ge one. As far as the model goes if you can find a Turbo Duo that's the way to go as you will be able to play all US released games as well as the Japanese CD games. But if you can find one for less than $150 you've done pretty good for yourself. You should just grab the standard console and see if it suits you and worry about the imports and CD games later if you enjoy the Hu-cards.

As far as the price of the games. Unlike it's contemporaries, there were less than 150 (138 I beleive) US Hu-card games released for the system, so unlike the SNES and Genny there are not the hundreds of games you will be able to buy for $5 or less. The average game on the bay will run you $10 before shipping. And since there weren't to many units sold you probably won't come across many in a used game shop. So grab system spend a few bucks on the staples (Bonk's, Dungeon Explorer, and a shooter) and see how it grabs ya.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    squidlike

This thread is really making me wish I could afford a Duo. Why oh why do they have to be so expensive

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I <3 PC Engine/Turbo Grafx 16...truly is a shooters paradise
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater
    Yes, Ys I & II come packaged together for CD.

I love the Turbo. I can't say it's top system but it's awesome. Bonk, Dracula X, Blazing Lazers, Chew Man Fu, Military Madness, Ninja Spirit, Son Son II, Gate of Thunder, Neutopia, etc. - such good times.

Neo! Great to see you here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks. It's cool to see you here. I should have started posting here a long time ago.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It certainly would be nice to have a Turbo Duo, but the high price causes me to look at that as something that I will look forward to in the future.

For now, I'm extremely happy with my regular old TG-16 Console. For anybody that is thinking of getting a Turbo, I highly recommend getting a regular TG-16 and the Turbobooster, and a few choice games. The TurboBooster is key, because you get the composite video instead of the crappy RF, and you get the "true" stereo sound. So it's an absolutely must to also have the TurboBooster if you do end up getting a TG-16.

The one downside to the Turbo is that it isn't the cheapest system to collect for.

A used working Turbo in good condition usually goes for around $35 with shipping and everything. Add a controller, a turbo tap, some extra controllers and a few games and it's about $50 or so.

And then when it comes to buying the games, they cost quite a bit more than most retro games. Especially the best games. Games like Military Madness and Splaterhouse and AeroBlasters and Devil's Crush aren't exactly dirt cheap. Often, with shipping and everything, you will have to pay about $18 for those games.

But you can start off with some of the cheaper games. Like World Class Baseball and Keith Courage. Both of these games are actually pretty damn good games. World Class Baseball is one of the most underated Baseball games in the history of baseball games.

Believe me, I know. Back in 1989, we had freaking tournaments and leagues in World Class Baseball. The cool thing about that game is that each of the players had very different attributes and skills. I had this one shortstop on this one team, the guy was super, super fast, maybe the fastest player in the league, but he couldn't hit for power. But the thing is, the guy was so freaking dangerous because of his speed. Normal routine groundball outs, he could turn into basehits. And then once he was on first base, he would give the other player nightmares because he could steal at any time. And although he couldn't hit for power, every so often he would hit a ball that would barely clear the fence for a homerun. That was so cool, that certain players in that game had a real personality to them. Like certain pitchers would come in throwing sidearm and stuff like that. Great playability in that game, even to this day.

As for Keith Courage, that game doesn't get much love, but I like it. It's just got that special Turbo feel to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

Y's III was also available on cd-rom along w/ book 1 & 2. Tons of games make this awesome system worth owning. Oh if we could all be like Joe...I saw him win an awesome complete magical chase last year on the bay!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

Oh yeah...sorry, buy bomberman if you get a multitap. If your on this site you know what's up with Bomberman but this is the best version! Another favorite of mine is Dragon's Curse (basically wonderboy III). Neutopia 1 & 2 are excellent action RPG (think Zelda). Then theres.....just buy one it's great!

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah it's a sweet system. I really enjoyed Dracula X.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's the system I obsess over the most right now. The system/games have an atmosphere all their own. NEC & Hudson went to bed & made sweet, hot freaky love (as well as letting Namcot & Masaya join in here & there) & it was beautiful to witness. Now that I have my convertor, it's gonna be PCE HuCards ahoy for a while (still need a TurboBooster, though). As for Turbo/PCE CD's, as much as I want a CD attachment or TurboDuo, I'm gonna play them on MagicEngine until I finally break down and buy a unit or better yet, get a PC/FX. mmmm....
    I had a lovers quarrel with the world.
    -Robert Frost

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Genesis is actually the best retro system ever, I think there was a mistake in the topic title.

Like on the system box of my Genesis, it shows an "Actual Game Screenshot" of Altered Beast with the "16 Bit Power" sign. This thing is true 16 bit, not 8 bit like those pretenders...

And just wait until we get the Sega CD! >:^D

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CreamSoda
    Genesis is actually the best retro system ever, I think there was a mistake in the topic title.

Like on the system box of my Genesis, it shows an "Actual Game Screenshot" of Altered Beast with the "16 Bit Power" sign. This thing is true 16 bit, not 8 bit like those pretenders...

And just wait until we get the Sega CD! >:^D

Look, the Genny is a solid ass system. No question about that. It had some great, great, great games.

But I would take the SNES over the Genny, personally. The SNES was a freaking masterpiece in my opinion. It's my favorite system of all time. Turbo comes in a close second.

But from a Retro standpiont, with the Turbo being a "8 Bit" system, wink wink, it has more retro appeal to me than the SNES. I think I was even playing SNES games in 1995, so it's not super old to me. The Turbo is all about 1989 and 1990. At least for me. That's when I had my turbo.

Genny is damn good, I mean that's the system with Kid Chameleon. But, if you really want to get down to it, then I rank SNES #1 with a bullet, and Turbo No. 2, but Turbo has more nostalgic factor for me. SNES was a wildly popular system, and everybody knows about all the SNES hits. The Turbo has that undiscovered flavor, that is so sweet, when looking back upon 1989, 1990 and 1991. Some very incredible years in the life of videogaming as we know it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lol, I was just joking. I've never even got to play a Turbo Grafix system.

I would really like to play one though, how much do they go for on Ebay?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A topic close to my heart. I still spend more hours playing PC Engine games than games for any other system. Currently playing Ys 4 again now that it's been translated into english.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's suprising how many people love the SNES nowadays. When all that the magazines talked about back then was that the only reason SNES sold any consoles was because of one game Street Fighter II. Personally I agree I think it's overrated. If you would calculate the number of games that came out for these systems by the number of good games i'm sure percentage wise Turbo Grafx 1st, Genny 2nd and SNES 3rd. And when will people learn that bits don't mean anything!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CreamSoda
    Lol, I was just joking. I've never even got to play a Turbo Grafix system.

I would really like to play one though, how much do they go for on Ebay?

To get a bare bones turbo, with a cable to hook it to a tv, and the power adapter, and one turbo pad, in good working order, about $25 with shipping.

But rarely will you find one like that. Typically, they will throw in a couple of crappy games, maybe some extra turbo pads and a turbo tap, and you will need to pay like $45 with shipping and everything.

I highly suggest getting a turbo unit, with a turbo pad in good condition, at least one extension cable for that turbo pad, and definitely get the TurboBooster for the stereo sound output and the composite video output.

If you find one without a power adapter don't worry about it because you can use a big Genesis adapter with them.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo90017
    It's suprising how many people love the SNES nowadays. When all that the magazines talked about back then was that the only reason SNES sold any consoles was because of one game Street Fighter II. Personally I agree I think it's overrated. If you would calculate the number of games that came out for these systems by the number of good games i'm sure percentage wise Turbo Grafx 1st, Genny 2nd and SNES 3rd. And when will people learn that bits don't mean anything!

Well, sure if you are talking about percentage of good games, then the Turbo would shoot up the charts because all the other systems would have had tons and tons of games, and you are always going to get alot of crap games when you have so many.

But calling the SNES overrated is absolutely ridiculous. No offense, but the SNES is a fricking dream.

Sure the system had tons of crap games on it, but it also has some of the most classic games of all time.

I can list 50 SNES games that kick absolute serious ass, and I would put those 50 SNES games up against any 50 games from any other system you could name.

The only downside to the SNES is it's popularity. In fact games like Castlevania 4 and Contra III and Super Metroid and Mario Kart and Mario World and Super Ghouls and Ghosts and games like that are actually somewhat underrated, because people just take them for granted.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hate to say it but as far as the 16-bit days go I have to put the TG as last of the four systems of that era(behind SNES, Neo Geo and Genesis in that order). But you know what, to me that is not a diss to the TG in any way at all as I consider the 16-bit era of gaming the the best there ever was (yes, I know the TG was not actually 1-6bit, but it was part of the 16-bit generation as far as I am concerned.) The TG16 is actually the first system of that generation that I got (strangely enough it is the only one that I do not have now) and I loved it at the time. I got it for xmas as well and not long after getting, maybe 6 months or so, found myself lusting over a Genesis and traded it in. One day soon I need to grab a TG-16 again and play some of those games up again though, great stuff... Splatterhouse, JJ and Jeff :P, the many Bonk games, Legendary Axe... GREAT STUFF!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

One of my friends just loaned me his TG-16 with a handful of huecards... can't wait to hook it up!

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally prefer the TG-16 to the SNES. The SNES was great and all, but I just love the feel the TG has. There's nothing quite like it.