Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why don't I play portable game systems? Hmmmmm.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why don't I play portable game systems? Hmmmmm.

With the PSP soon on the way, I sat down and asked myself, why don't I play more portable games? Should I really kick down $300 on something I might not really use very much?

I currently have a GBA SP and a Game Gear, but I rarely play either. The key reason that I've discovered, is that when I really feel like playing games, I just prefer to play them on a home console. Usually when I actually have available time to play, I'm at home, and I can choose from my XBOX, my PS2, my Cube and all my retro consoles. So why play a portable at home?

Then the question is, why not play one when I'm on the go? Well, the answer to that, is that I often don't have a chunk of time, when I'm away from home, to be able to play any games. The only time I get to play my GBA SP, is when I'm on a long drive somewhere, and my wife happens to be driving. Or if I'm camping. Or something along those lines. But even then, I don't usually have enough time to really get into it. It's usually just a quick burst of gaming.

I'm amazed at people that can actually play entire RPG's and stuff like that on a handheld.

So that brings us back to the PSP. Will I get one? Well, I will say that this is the sexiest gaming handheld that I've ever seen, and the temptation is extremely strong. But damn that price is very prohibitive to me. That's alot of cash to shell out on a portable that I really might not play very much.

I think I'm going to take a wait and see approach with the PSP. I probably won't get one, until I can get the system and one kick ass game for $200 out the door. And that will be quite some time from now.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is exactly what i pointed out in another thread, yes, i was extremist on that one, but for a lot of busy people like us, portables are the on;y we to go, so we have to say, let the home systems go down the drain!

Actually, it ain't that hard to finish rpg's, or lengthy games. Most of these games, aren't like the console versions, where you see a save point every 2 or 3 hours, most have the sleep feature, and the 'save anywhere' option.

So should you get a psp? well, you really seem to not use portables, so why get another one you won't use?

confusing? yes i am. k tnx!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's a pretty good description about how I feel about portable gaming as well. I only play my GBA when I'm on a trip. I really hardley ever play it even though it has some great games. If I do play them its on my GBA Player on a the TV... Then I got an N-Gage. I know it doesn't have the screen size and games that the other systems do but it can do so much and it's my cell phone so I take it everywhere. I find myself playing it all the time either as an emulator for some of the classic systems, its own games, music, videos ect... The N-Gage has a bad rep and a small screen but it works very well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I was younger I used to play through long games on my GB, but not anymore. Its just not convinient and I'd much rather play games on my 27". But since I've got my QD I've found myself playing portable games alot more. Short bursts of Snakes or THPS to fill in the small gaps of time I might have free when I'm out. And since its always with me it's always available.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I've always played handheld games at home. Sometimes you just want a simple game. Sometimes you want to play in bed before going to sleep and not move everything around. Sometimes some AMAZING games come out ONLY for the handheld and it sucks all my time.

And oftentimes I play games on my Game Boy Player these days so I can enjoy them on a big TV and stero system.

I say for handhelds what I always say -- look at the GAMES. If you see something you like, PLAY IT, regardless of what format it's for!

I'm loving the new Zelda game, Kingdom Hearts:COM, and Final Fantasy: Dawn of Souls right now. They rotate out of my GBA SP and get played about once a day.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since you don't play portables much, just stick to your GBA SP and save the money towards a next-gen home console you will play.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I currently have a GBA SP and a Game Gear, but I rarely play either. The key reason that I've discovered, is that when I really feel like playing games, I just prefer to play them on a home console. Usually when I actually have available time to play, I'm at home, and I can choose from my XBOX, my PS2, my Cube and all my retro consoles. So why play a portable at home?
    I gotta agree with you. Playing in front of a big screen is kind of a mini-ritual in videogames, with it's own charm. Likewise, I've always considered (probably with good reason) that handhelds are just behind home consoles. As a result, I've probably played 2 videogames for the GBA for not a lot of play-time.

Portables are life/sanity savers if you happen to be on a long plane/car trip, and you're rocking the passenger seat. Personally, this happens twice a year at the most for me. Likewise, during the three hurricanes, portables proved a valuable fallback venue when all other options (both studying and videogames) went out with the lights. But put a portable against a home console, and the home will win every time. I'm not going to buy a PSP, or probably another Portable for a long time. I'll plop down money for a new system, but when you ask me to plop down an extra 150 or more for an extra system per generation, I'm not gonna fall for that anymore.

That said, people have different lives. I've got a friend who lives in New York, who plays a handheld more than home consoles. When you're on a train, you've got the leisure to play it.

I say for handhelds what I always say -- look at the GAMES. If you see something you like, PLAY IT, regardless of what format it's for!
    Just when I was starting to respect you, you pull that cliched stuff on me.
    I am the reinforcements.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Bathroom. I've got almost 80% of the cards in cardfighter clash now!

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

I'm with those who say, if you don't think you'll use it, don't get it and save your money for the next home console.

This said, I'm one of the people made for handhelds. I have to commute nearly 3 hours per day for work (I have to cross town to get to work), so that gives me plenty of time to read, sleep and play videogames.

For instance, yesterday on my way back, I started playing Mario vs. Donkey Kong again. Before that, I was reading Supercade (which isn't such a good idea to carry around as the book's pretty heavy and bulky and it's not even the harcover edition!).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No portable gaming? Then what on earth do you do in the loo???
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would love to buy a PSP. Many of my favorite gaming franchises are going to appear on the system. The thought of a portable version of Gran Turismo is hard to resist.....especially if it has the same depth and scope as the console editions.

Then I think of the two times that I bought a GBA.....and the two times that I traded them in, at a loss, of course. I played some great RPGs so the money loss was sort of justified. I found that I couldn't sit outside and play......it was usually too hot and the sun kept shifting so my lighting would be changing. I also couldn't sit in the house and play it....too many other distractions, so concentrating was difficult. GBA Player? It was okay....but everytime that I would go to buy a GBA game......there would be a PS2 game that I would rather have....for the same money.

Resisting a PSP was going to be a hard battle......but at least the sour news of the PSP's design flaws has made it easier. I just have to remind myself that portables and I dont do well together.

I spent all day yesterday filtering out my current-gen gaming collection. I've wasted so much money on games that were either too difficult to finish or were not as good as promised. I've got a great big stack of wasted money to trade in. I can buy an XboX and a big starter library of games with them.

A PSP purchase would probably yeild the same results.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by poloplayr
    No portable gaming? Then what on earth do you do in the loo???
    THIS, incidentally, is the reason why I would never - even if being chased by a pack of wild dogs - buy a handheld system USED.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love handheld systems. I can't get enough of them. I take my SP with me wherever I go. The only handheld system that I don't have is a Wonderswan. I plan on getting one at some point though.

I already have my PSP preordered and paid for I can't wait!

Oh yea, and I never use my handhelds in the bathroom

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also have not had the urge for a handheld since the original GameBoy back in 1990. I used to sit around playing Final Fantasy Legends and Castlevania all day. Sitting around staring at a tiny screen really seems bizarre to me now.

However, I have been considering the PSP. I am waiting to see how the MP3 features pan out. I have been wanting a portable MP3 player since last fall but once I heard the PSP would have MP3 support, I put any purchases on hold. If there are fun games and the MP3 support is decent, then I will most likely go for a PSP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm the exact opposite. When I feel like playing a game, more than half the time I'll pick up the GBA SP or NGPC and start playing isntead of going for a console even when I'm home! I think alot of it has to do with the fact that these systems, even with completely different games, bring back a nostalgic value of the 8-bit and 16-bit days. yes, I do have 8-bit and 16-bit era systems, but I still find myself playing the GBA SP and NGPC more often!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i prefer portables, i get the same enjoyument out of gba as i do with my sega consoles..

olus, its great to play wherever u want, usually stretched out in bed...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

In my previous apartment my gaming gear and dedicated TV were in one room. My wife likes to watch TV at night and I like to play games, so we could do both and still spend some time together.

Last year we moved into a big house and now I have an entire game room in the basement. So I started actually WATCHING TV at night (horror) so I could spend time w/ my wife at the end of the day, and reserved my gaming sessions for the weekends.

So I got a GBA SP from Santa and now I can spend time w/ my wife upstairs and still play games. I was never a handheld gamer before, but the combination of personal circumstances and the greater quality of the systems has finally brought me over to the other side.

So I'm pretty much 50/50 handhelds/consoles right now, whereas only months ago I was 0/100.

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

i was like this for a bit until i got a Nomad and a Wonderswan, then i started playing portqables all the time when i am away from my consoles
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I much prefer handhelds. How else can you play a game in the living room, take it to the bathroom, take it to school, take it to work, then take it to bed with you? I've found that it is much easier to finish games on a portable simply because I can take it everywhere with me. As for screen size I say bah!. At arms length, the screen on my SP appears about as large as my TV. The resolution isn't as good, but I can live with that.