Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hyper Duel

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Hyper Duel

Well, after months of making payments on it, a brand new factory sealed copy of this game is finally on it's way to me now! So, I'm rolling out the red carpet and preparing a Very Important Plaything (V.I.P.) party for it's arrival. It will be the rarest and most valuable game in my entire collection, until I can finally afford to buy myself a brand new factory sealed copy of Radiant Silvergun. And at $300, it's only about $200 less expensive than RS, which isn't even really rare. It's just a legend, so HD will still be the rarest game in my collection, even if I do end up spending more money on another game.

Now the next major challenge in my saga with it awaits. The waiting! The first major challenge was finding a brand new factory sealed copy of it. That took me 10 years. The second major challenge was getting it all paid off. That took me 3 months. It should only take about a week or two for it to arrive, and then the final challenge will arrive at last. Removing $150 worth of cellophane from it so I can play it! I'm really not sure how long that will take. Normally I never even hesitate to open a new classic game, but normally I don't have to pay $150 more for a factory sealed copy than I would have to pay for a used copy! I've never had to face a challenge of this magnitude before, and I really don't know if I can do it. I really want to play it, but...

So place your bets. Can I resist the temptation the remove $150 worth of cellophane from what may very well be the only factory sealed copy of this game left in existence, or will I eventually succumb to my urge to play it? If you could afford it, what would you do? Keep in mind that I already own many other rarities which were all bought factory sealed and quickly opened so they could be played, but those were all bought long before it was ever known that they were rarities. So this is basically like traveling back in time to 10 years ago, with full knowledge and awareness that if I ever open it, I'm opening a game that I will probably never even see factory sealed again. I don't know if it's R6 or R7 or R8, but I assume that it's one of the three.

However, considering how difficult it was to find a factory sealed copy, and how long it took to do so, I would assume that it's actually an R9 or R10 in this condition. It's definitely not like finding a factory sealed Radiant Silvergun and opening it, because you can find one of those just about anytime, if you know where to look. There will always be another one that someone has preserved unopened, because it's a legend. But a factory sealed Hyper Duel is a completely different story. There will probably never be another one in a lifetime of searching for it, and if there ever is, it would probably cost twice as much. So the consequences of opening it when it arrives are massive. And I just don't know if I'm up to the task, or to resisting the temptation. I'm not really worried about reducing its value in half by opening it, because I'll never sell it anyway. It's just that $150 is an awful lot of money for just a little bit of cellophane. And if I ever do open it, suddenly all that high grade cellophane will no longer be worth $150. So it's all about the cellophane...

x_x

!?!?!?! decisions, decisions, decisions !?!?!?!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Nice price for the factory seal copy mate.
    when I was shopping for this one I sealed on the opened mint copy since I could save a lot - paid bit below $90...

normally if I see factory sealed at around the same price range I'll go for the sealed copy but when the difference is a lot I choose used copy.

I picked up factory sealed PC Engine Jackie Chan very cheap - less than $20 - and someone told me it's fairly rare and cost bit more than that... and then I came across hucard only Jackie Chan for $9 so I don't have to open my sealed copy... he he

if you are worry about opening sealed copy just do what I do - get a used copy for cheap... now getting used HD at cheap price might not be easy but...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Whew, the decade long search for ya ends, heh.

You might want to save it, buy a used HD and play that one. Of course, a used one is probably going to run you at least 100 bucks. Although if you're lucky maybe $80-esque.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mod your Saturn. Get backups of your factory sealed games. Play the backups. If you own the originals, I see no reason against this - and you don't have to deal with that whole 'removing $150 worth of cellophane business'

Vroomfunkel

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

well with Saturn System Disc yoiu don't need to mod at all...
    it will run CD-R just fine...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DJ, where can I get one of those system discs? And how much do they cost? I read your thread about it, and it sounds great, but is it hard to get?

I'm so torn about this. I don't really want to keep it sealed, but I don't really want to open it either. It's just gonna sit there and scream $300 at me!

My sister says that I should put it up on ebay and see how much I can get for it. She's probably right, I could probably make my money back on it with some extra to spare, and buy myself a decent used HD & a decent used RS.

But I'm so anal about used games! The only used games that I have in my whole collection are just about a dozen used Genesis games, and that's it. All the rest were all bought new and sealed back in the day, or fairly recently.

And all the rest except for a few rares that I bought very recently have all been opened. It's getting alot harder for me to bring myself to open any rares now, since I know how much more they're worth still sealed, but then I think about how many of my other rares would be worth so much more if they were all still sealed, and I think that it would be very nice if they were all still sealed, but then I think about how much fun I've had playing them all.

I know that I can play them all on emulators or from backups or something, but none of those other methods really compare at all to the experience of playing the originals. I don't play any of my games very often anymore, and I'm very careful with them when I do, so I'm not really worried about wear or anything like that. But this is the first time that I've ever actually had to pay triple digits for a game that's worth triple digits. All my other triple digit games were bought way back when they were still just double digit games.

So it's kinda like a SegaCD commercial. "welcome to the next level" Now I'm actually gonna own a grail that's still factory sealed, and opening it up just to play it would be completely different from opening up some common game just to play it. Well, actually it wouldn't be, because it's still just cellophane. But it's just like buying a brand new car and driving it. The very second that you begin to drive it, you can never sell it for the same amount of money.

But I dunno, it tends to go for about $150 mint complete on ebay right now, so in another 5-10 years I probably could get my $300 back for it. It's just the fact that in another 5-10 years I could probably get double that much for it, if I don't open it, that's making me hesitant to open it now.

However, I'm a firm believer that games were meant to be played, not just preserved in cellophane forever, so some collector like me can pay big bucks for them years from now, and wonder if they should ever be opened or not. It just doesn't seem right to do that with games. Very few people collect factory sealed movies that they'll never open and watch. Very few people collect factory sealed music that they'll never open and listen to. So why are so many people who collect video games nowadays so anal about collecting factory sealed games that they'll never open and play? It seems so insane!

So I still dunno, it's just a very weird feeling to pay that much money for some rare old import video game, just so I can be the first to open it and play it. I've done it lots of times before, and thought absolutely nothing of it, but the stakes were never this high. How rare is it anyway, does anybody know? And how rare do you think it is in this condition? I know that it's not common, but obviously somebody was still able to find it in Japan, even if it was at a price that would indicate that they had a very hard time doing so. That's really what's getting to me, more than anything else, the high price!

Get BIT!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Saturn System Disc was inside one of CartDev Rev.B systems I have for ages... this particular one I never bothered to check till recently - thinking of selling - when I discover the System Disc inside.

Not sure of its value but probably around $100 would be the safe bet when you come across one... this isn't something you see often though... I think I only saw it listed once on eBay although the seller pulled the auction mid way through...

I know how you feel mate.
    I have complete mint brand new DC Space Channel 5 Part 2 Collector Edtion box set. Since I didn't want to open it I got a used set instead... In my collection there are fair number of duplicates - one being factory sealed and another used copy...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PLEASE Take some lovely photos of the thing before ripping it open like a kid on xmas day!
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

open it, and enjoy it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by poloplayr
    PLEASE Take some lovely photos of the thing before ripping it open like a kid on xmas day!
    ! Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me! I will definitely have to take some pics of it when it arrives, so if I do end up opening it, I can always go back and see what it looked like when it was still sealed! That will surely make me cry someday, if I do end up opening it! Yeah, here's a pic of the game that I could've sold on ebay for way more than I paid for it, but I had to open it! It's gonna be a long agonizing wait, I'm getting very nervous about it already!

Get BIT!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

have fun taking photo of sealed game.
    it's not easy as you think if you want to avoid the flash spot on the photo...

come on it's just game and if you really want I'm sure you will come across another sealed copy in future...

I opened my factory sealed PC Engine Valis Visual Collection I paid almost 8000 yen for it... and I don't regret opening it since I'm not gonna sell it in future...
    and then there's brand new MD Panorama Cotton w/ omake ocha cup that I paid near 17000 yen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, chances are I probably will open it, eventually. But it's gonna be hard. And the next OMG triple digit game that I buy is gonna be Radiant Silvergun for sure. It may take me forever to save up enough money to buy it too, but I am gonna own it someday, and I'm not gonna settle for a used copy of it either. I don't care if I am just gonna open it and play it anyway, it's gonna have to be factory sealed too, or I'm not gonna buy it. Call me crazy, but that's just the way I am, especially when it comes to CD/DVD based games. But Hyper Duel will hold me over very nicely until I can get Radiant Silvergun.

Meanwhile, I'll keep on working on trying to get all the other Saturn shmups that I want, which are all far more reasonably priced than HD and RS are. The only problem with all the others is that they're even harder to find still factory sealed. They just don't turn up in that condition very often. So you'd think that they'd all cost big bucks too, but they don't. They're just nearly impossible to find factory sealed. So I'm still gonna have a very long wishlist. There may be a few more that I have to pay triple digits for, but they should all be in the very low triple digits. Only somewhere between $100 - $150

My wishlist (in order):

Radiant Silvergun

Gun Frontier
    Metal Black
    Skull Fang
    Wolf Fang
    Batsugun
    Gekirindan
    Shienryu
    Soukyugurentai
    Don Pachi
    Do Don Pachi

There's a few others that I wouldn't mind having either, but those are the ones that I'm the most interested in finding and getting someday. And they all add up to a very large amount of money, if I'm ever able to find them all factory sealed. I'm estimating that those 10 games besides RS will cost me about $1000 to obtain, by the time that shipping and handling are added. Especially if I have to get them off of ebay. So I expect to pay about $100 apiece for each of them, or very close to it. Certainly around $75 and no less than $50 for any of them, factory sealed. So about what they would've cost me back in the day, or maybe a little more than that, depending on how hard it is to find some of them still factory sealed. I know it won't be easy.

So, lots of searching the internet, lots of waiting, and tons of saving money. That's why I'm glad that I've finally got Hyper Duel out of the way now, and that's also why I'd really rather just wait until I can finally go ahead and get Radiant Silvergun out of the way too, before I try to collect anymore of the others on my wishlist. Of course if I happen to run across a good deal on any of them, and I happen to have the money for them, I won't pass them up, but if I don't go ahead and start working on getting RS out of the way too right now, then I may never get it. I know that it's gonna cost me at least $400, if I can afford to get it sometime this year, but otherwise it may end up costing me at least $600 at the rate it's going up in value. It was still only about $200 for a factory sealed copy of it just a year or two ago, wasn't it? So the sooner that I get that expensive bitch out of the way, the better!

Get BIT!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My opinion is that you are nuts to (1) save up $$$big to buy a sealed rare, and then (2) rip it open, seeing as you can buy a *mint* one for half the price, and by opening it you are converting sealed to mint.

There. Somebody had to say it.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

why buty a sealed one to open it... thats plain dumb..

surely if you want to play it, theres an emulator about for the saturn ?

or just buy another copy when one comes up opened
    http://www.videopac.org The Worlds only dedicated Videopac & Odyssey 2 forums.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Each to their own ... you wouldn't be complaining if you had a sealed game to sell to him, I'll bet! :P

Vroomfunkel

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You have a point there. But still...

I mean, I might pause before selling one of my Bentleys to a guy who wanted to put a spoiler on it.

Oh, wait. I don't have any Bentleys.

But since I don't have a horse in this race I can only shake my head and sigh.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, like I said, I really haven't decided yet. But the thing is, I buy factory sealed games and open them just to play them all the time. We all do, at some point. So it just seems kinda odd to me that knowing that a game is rare should prevent one from opening it up to play it, just because one knows that it's rare. If it wouldn't have mattered had you not known that it was rare, then why should it matter if you do? If it wouldn't have mattered if it only cost $30 instead of $300, then why should that extra zero make a difference? I prefer to look at it this way, if I do open it, then that's one less remaining factory sealed copy, which consequently should make all the other remaining factory sealed copies worth that much more money to collectors.

But these kinds of dillemas and differences of opinion rage on throughout every hobby, regardless of what you collect. I've had Hot Wheels collectors shaking their heads in the exact same way before, because I bought some similar holy grail like a perfectly mint Stagefright still sealed in a perfectly mint bubble on a perfectly mint card, and opened it up to put it in my display case with all the rest of my cars, all of which were also bought mint in package except for very few that are nearly impossoble to find mint in package now. And that Stagefright only cost me $20, and it isn't even rare. It's one of those false grails like Chrono Trigger. It commands a premium on ebay and at flea markets and places like that just because every Hot Wheels collector wants one, and you can't call yourself a true Hot Wheels collector if you don't have one in your collection. Even ones that have been beaten to hell can sell for more than what I had to pay for mine, so maybe it was one of the stupidest things I ever did to open that package and remove the car from it, but I did it anyway and I'm still very happy with it and very proud to have it in my collection. And isn't that what collecting is really supposed to be about? The value to me is irrelevant, it's the game that counts the most, so the expense of obtaining such a game still sealed is of little matter to me.

However, obviously this game and the expense of obtaining it still sealed is causing me to reconsider that philosophy. I did a search for it last night, just to see what I could come up with, and I ran across a French importer who apparently also had a factory sealed copy at one point. Probably from the same batch that was apparently discovered in some Japanese warehouse or unknown game store in some remote part of the country recently. It was about the same price as what I had to pay for mine, but of course it was sold, so they didn't have anymore. I don't know how many the importer that I bought mine from was able to get, but I was only able to get it because I jumped on the opportunity to reserve a copy of it when they announced that they were gonna be getting it. They didn't say how many they were expecting, but I believe that I noticed it the day after they made the announcement, and I didn't hesitate for a second because I knew that it would go quickly. And sure enough, the next day they were no longer accepting reservations for it, so I just barely was able to get a copy of it. I'm still counting my lucky stars that I was actually able to get it factory sealed.

And of course, all that is weighing very heavily on my mind right now. I remember doing a double take as soon as I saw that they were taking reservations for it, and thinking what a miracle it was that it's still possible to find it factory sealed. I had tried to order a copy of it when it first came out 10 years ago, and none of my local importers at the time could ever get it for me for the longest time. Then when one of them finally did, I foolishly passed it up, because I didn't really have the money to spare at the time. I thought that I could still get it sooner or later, so I foolishly just blew it off. And I've regretted it ever since. Especially now that I'm finally getting it, and it's costing me 6 times what it would've cost me 10 years ago. But if I had gotten it way back then, I would've opened it immediately to play it, so what's the difference now? Still one less factory sealed copy remaining in the world, still one more happy owner gaming his heart out on a rare old gem from Technosoft, and still happy as hell just to own it and be able to play it.

Now do you get it?

Get BIT!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon
    Now do you get it?
    Word. Games are meant to be opened and enjoyed. It's hardly fun to have a room filled with sealed games that you refuse to open and play...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WOOHOO! It's here!

It just arrived today!

And NO... I haven't opened it... YET!

Here are some pics!:

Hyper Duel still sealed front

Hyper Duel still sealed back

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OMG... This game is the SHIT! Totally worth what I had to pay for it! My only regret is that I didn't get it when I had the chance 10 years ago. Not just because it was only $75 way back then, but because I could've been playing it all this time! OK, so I could've gotten a used copy and played it and kept this one factory sealed for the rest of my life, or until I decided to sell it and make a huge profit on it, but it's still worth every bit of the $300 to me, and I don't regret that I paid that much money for it just to open it and play it at all. This game RULES! Everything that I ever heard about it is true. It is the "missing link" between Thunderforce 4 & 5 for sure! I'm so glad that I finally got it, even if it was expensive as hell. And now I know that whenever I finally get Radiant Silvergun, it will be worth every penny of the $500 that it's gonna cost me to get a factory sealed one as well! I know that it makes no sense to most of the rest of you, but I couldn't be more pleased with it. At long last, every time I play Blast Wind, I don't have to look at the screen shot for Hyper Duel on the back of the manual, and be depressed about it! I can just smile, and know that I can play it also, because I finally own it too!

Get BIT!