Thread: Games a la Shadowgate/Deja Vu/Uninvited

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Games a la Shadowgate/Deja Vu/Uninvited

Any others in the same vein anybody might want to recommend?
    Everything is yellow to a jaundiced eye.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

I have yet to play it, but I have beheld the impressive stylings of an Amiga game entitled Waxworks. It seems to play like Shadowgate, but it actually has a real-time first-person combat system. Besides that, the adventure parts of the game are like Kemco's trilogy of exploration. But you wanna know the best part? It's literally exploding with gore! Here, check out this link a friend gave me.

http://www.nemmelheim.de/horrorsoft/...rks/index.html

WARNING: The images depicted in the link I just posted are more than likely not for the faint of heart. I warn you, this game is brimming with gratuitious violence.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Werent 7th Guest and 11th Hour like those games?

You also have some of the Zork series (later ones like Zork Zero and Beyond Zork) that have first-person puzzle stuff.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Sotenga
    I have yet to play it, but I have beheld the impressive stylings of an Amiga game entitled Waxworks. It seems to play like Shadowgate, but it actually has a real-time first-person combat system. Besides that, the adventure parts of the game are like Kemco's trilogy of exploration. But you wanna know the best part? It's literally exploding with gore! Here, check out this link a friend gave me.

http://www.nemmelheim.de/horrorsoft/...rks/index.html

WARNING: The images depicted in the link I just posted are more than likely not for the faint of heart. I warn you, this game is brimming with gratuitious violence.
    Damn, that stuff is intense! I love the way Amiga games look though; that game is absolutely gorgeous, as such.

Werent 7th Guest and 11th Hour like those games?
    I haven't played 11th hour, but 7th Guest is kind of a watered-down version of those games. There really is only minimal focus on exploration, and you don't interact with the scenery at all really, and you don't pick up items. It's just a series of bitch-hard puzzles. It's a good game, but it doesn't really remind me of the ICOM games.

You know, pretty much every Sierra graphic adventure PC game from the 80's and early 90's is essentially the same thing as Shadowgate, et al. The only difference is that they have a third-person perspective. Most of them are riotously funny as well. Try the King's Quest, Space Quest, and Leisure suit Larry series. Conquest of Camelot is another honorable mention.

You also might like any LucasArts SCUMM-engine game for the PC. This includes Maniac Mansion, and it's sequel, Day of the Tentacle, along with any Monkey Island game. Note that these games are much more humorous than Shadowgate or Deja Vu.

Have you tried Sweet Home for the NES? Try it; sounds like you'll like it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Last Half of Darkness series for the PC is a lot like these games. HOTU's page for it also links to a few similar games.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default e

I think there was a thread or two exactly like this a while ago, but I'm too lazy to find it.

Whenever this subject comes out, I always recommend Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom for the NES. Don't laugh. If you haven't played this, do it. Now! It's a great game, very similar to the games you mention. It is challenging (not a easy kiddie game), has some pretty good puzzles, and colorful graphics. It is an all-around great game that few people have ever given a chance.

I've told this story before, but this game holds the record for my lonmgest gaming session. I sat and played this for 15 or 16 hours when I rented it the first time. So, technically, you could say I beat it on first try, heh heh. It shoulda taken me a few days under any other circumstances, but I really didn't want to put it down!

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Default Re: e

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick
    I think there was a thread or two exactly like this a while ago, but I'm too lazy to find it.

Whenever this subject comes out, I always recommend Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom for the NES. Don't laugh. If you haven't played this, do it. Now! It's a great game, very similar to the games you mention. It is challenging (not a easy kiddie game), has some pretty good puzzles, and colorful graphics. It is an all-around great game that few people have ever given a chance.

I've told this story before, but this game holds the record for my lonmgest gaming session. I sat and played this for 15 or 16 hours when I rented it the first time. So, technically, you could say I beat it on first try, heh heh. It shoulda taken me a few days under any other circumstances, but I really didn't want to put it down!

-Rob
    I second this. Princess Tomato is phenomenal. It has such a bad rap, like Deadly Towers, but it's actually sweet. Unlike Deadly Towers, there's nothing inherently wrong with Princess Tomato, either. People are just turned off by the title. It's totally Hudson, and remimnds me of the TG-16 games that came later...not in terms of gameplay, but in terms of atmosphere. Everyone who likes that type of game should try it.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: e

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick

-Rob
    Ditto. Seems like only yesterday. I too recommend the same games everytime.

Turbo Duo
    Beyond Shadowgate

PC
    Kings Quest 1-5 (haven't played past 5)
    Leisure Suit Larry 1-4 (same)

Not exactly the same but they are all point and clicks. Also there is Shadowgate 64 for the N64. Never played it though so I don't know if it's the same.