Insert Coin (Level 0) orangemage's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Museum of Science and Industry Debuts Game On

people near chicago might want to check this out

http://wire.ign.com/articles/588/588018p1.html

Game on: The History, Culture and Future of Video Games, will make its North American debut at the Museum of Science and Industry on March 4, 2005. This major exhibition explores the vibrant world of video games from 1962 to today and the effect that these games have had on our contemporary culture.

In an interactive environment full of projected sights and sounds, Game On details the game design process, including conceptual drawing, character design and sound. The exhibit also investigates how geography and culture play a role in game development by examining games in Japan, the United States and Europe. A look at developments in gaming hardware— from the colossal computers of the early 1960s to the recent consoles such as Xbox, GameCube and PlayStation 2—helps to illustrate how content and technologies work together to create amazing new products. Along the way, children and adults alike will be enthralled by the interactive world of gaming as they have the opportunity to play more than 125 games that illustrate the exhibit content.

Game On is powered by Exelon, proud parent of ComEd, and sponsored by EB Games and Pepsi.

"The video gaming industry has had a unique influence on the world's culture," said David Woody, the Museum's director of design and development. "Visitors to Game On will discover how the video game phenomenon emerged from both an artistic and technological perspective, not just in the United States, but around the globe. They will also be able to see how that phenomenon has influenced other aspects of popular culture, including movies, magazines and music."

Game On runs through September 5, 2005. The exhibit consists of 17 "levels" or areas, each one introduced by a different member of the "Game Family"—a mother, father, sister and brother who take museumgoers through an exhibit tour. As guests move through the exhibit, they will discover the key creative people who make games happen, including graphic designers, programmers, 3-D modelers and engineers. The illustrations of Chicago artist David Lee Csisko will bring the Game Family and the exciting, pulsating world of video games to life with a flurry of color, movement and characters.

"Game On gives kids a new view of an industry that has come to the forefront of our popular culture," said Jean Franczyk, the Museum's vice president of Education and Guest Services. "Many children today have grown up with video games, but now they have a chance to learn about the history, science, art and technology that is behind those games."

In Level 1: Early Games, guests will learn about the genres first games. The area features the 1962 game SpaceWar!, the first game to be developed on a computer with a vector monitor; 1972's Pong; and rare artifacts such as original publicity materials and early merchandise.

It takes up to 40 people to build and market a successful game, and in Level 4: Making Of, guests will learn why. The game design process from concept drawing to packaged product will be examined in this area, focusing on some of the most important games of recent times including the Pokémon phenomenon and Tomb Raider. Each display will include original artwork of character sketches and environmental designs.

How does sound and music enhance the game experience? Level 9: Sound will explore early music from the 8, 16 and 32-bit eras, sound effects and composed music for games. Visitors will be able to play games that have made music their theme including Rez and Space Channel 5. Additionally, this area looks at how game developers and publishers are now showcasing new bands and artists in their game titles, and even hiring film composers to write game soundtracks. Guests will be able to listen to tracks that illustrate this music.

Level 10: Chicago Style will demonstrate Chicago's role in the video game world, which has been significant ever since Midway Games starting publishing arcade games in the mid-1970s, including Space Invaders in 1978 and Pac-Man in 1980. Guests can play games like Incredible Technologies' Golden Tee Live, 2005 from these native developers.

A range of emerging technology and content trends will be showcased in Level 14: Future Games, indicating the shape that gaming may take over the next decade. This section will include Japanese "communication games," PlayStation 2 USB camera technology—a revolutionary new type of games interface from Sony— and the latest 3rd generation phone technology.

Game On was organized by Barbican Art Galleries, London in collaboration with the National Museums of Scotland. The exhibit will have an additional charge of $5 per guest. To ensure a positive experience for all ages, Game On will not feature any mature ("M" rated) game content.

The Museum of Science and Industry's mission is to inspire the inventive genius in everyone by presenting captivating and compelling experiences that are real and educational. Located at 57th Street and Lake Shore Drive, the Museum is open every day of the year except December 25. Regular Museum hours are 9:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 11:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. on Sunday. General admission pricing is $9 for adults, $7.50 for seniors and $5 for children ages 3-11. City of Chicago residents receive a discount on general admission; general admission is free on Mondays and Tuesdays through March 15, 2005. The Museum is supported in part through the generosity of the people of Chicago through the Chicago Park District. For more information, visit the Museum's Web site at www.msichicago.org or call (773) 684-1414 or (800) GO-TO-MSI outside of the Chicago area.

I'd love to go to Chicago just to see this exhibit. It seems like it's well done and would be a great time to spend a few hours.

Pretzel (Level 4) Goodwill Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Museum of Science and Industry Debuts Game On

Quote Originally Posted by orangemage
    people near chicago might want to check this out

[i]Game on: The History, Culture and Future of Video Games, will make its North American debut at the Museum of Science and Industry on March 4, 2005.
    What an unreal coincidence....the wife just told me to take 3/4/05 off so we could take my daughters to the Museum of S&I, as they have the day off school! I don't think I'll mention this to her in advance

Rich
    Tomorrow's Past is Yesterday's Future Today!

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man that kicks ass...if they ever show up to Texas, I'm so there...
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

You're kidding me? Heh, I'm going up there next weekend for the girlfirend's birthday and guess where she already said she wants to go?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This show (in a modified form) was in the UK a couple years ago. I bought the "Game On" book that accompanied it (perhaps Amazon still has it) - some interesting content, but a lot more about how videogames affect culture than about the culture of videogames.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by kevincure
    This show (in a modified form) was in the UK a couple years ago. I bought the "Game On" book that accompanied it (perhaps Amazon still has it) - some interesting content, but a lot more about how videogames affect culture than about the culture of videogames.
    Indeed. Our own Mat "Mayhem" Allen has been to this at least once, see here for an OLD review:
    http://www.digitpress.com/archives/arc00117.htm

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Heh was just about to mention that Joe

And, should I hopefully visit our lovely QoF during the summer, no doubt she'll want to go and I can compare there to when it was here (and that was 2002!).

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds pretty awesome, wixh I could go....
    I go online sometimes, but ... everyone's spelling is really bad, and it's ... depressing.

--Tara from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

BEST SITE FOR IMPORTS!
    http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-pfh-71-99.html

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just might have to do a summer road trip. I wouldn't mind driving to Chi-town to see it. My wife likes Chicago anyway, so we could kill two birds and make a weekend of it.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, I'm going. Anybody else from West Michigan want to carpool?
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you can't make it to Chicago, the show will be in San Jose at the Tech Museum of Innovation from September 26 2005 through January 2006. It's too bad it couldn't be there a month earlier so those of us who are attending CGE could also stop at the exhibit.
    Leonard Herman
    The Game Scholar
    Publisher of Historical Videogame Books
    http://www.rolentapress.com
    Phoenix 4 coming in 2014

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

Oooo, between this and the exhibit with the plastizised (I know I spelled that wrong) corpses this is the perfect time to go!

Kristine
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While you're there, make sure you get tickets for Body Worlds...

http://www.msichicago.org/bodyworlds/index.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was meaning to go see this when it was on in Scotland (much closer than London for me), but never got around to it. I think Edge magazine did a write-up about it when it first opened a couple of years back aswell.

Enjoy it, folks!

Pac-Man (Level 10) atomicthumbs's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a short drive from Madison. I'm in (If I can convince my girlfriend to go).

"Gamera is really neat --- He is filled with turtle meat --- We all love you Ga-me-ra!"
    - MST3K

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Hey, Boston has a HUGE Museum of Science and Technology -- and they get a lot of things. Any hope of it going over there?
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know this is REALLY old but I went to it. One thing I was wodnering is what do they do with everything when the exhibit is over, do they throw it all away? Donate it? Store it away in boxes? Sell it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not a bad time to bump this, I'm going to be in Chicago this weekend, and may be going to check this out

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I went to game on a few months ago it was awesome

they had a prototype odyssey

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The Boston Museum of Science has a very cool, yet rather small exhibit of old (REAL old, some of them) computers and such. Just saw it last summer or Fall.

A videogame section would rule.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!