Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who's picked up GT4

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lucky bastards
    I'll have to wait till the 9th of march (EU release date), but at least we get some extra cars and a 2 player garage mode

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Being a person that absolutely HATES HATES HATES simulation racers, I have to give kudos and props where due:

I tossed GT4 into the makeshift kiosk my manager made with a PS2/Madcatz Monitor, and I was damn impressed. Damn impressed.

I'd rent it just to see it in 1080 mode on my Wega. The detail in the opening real-time pit crew scene was jaw-dropping.

Anyoen with an Epson printer want to let us know how easy/hard it is to print your "in game photographs" from the photosessions? Thanks

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I most certainly did. I spent about 45 minutes on it last night, as I got home a bit late. But I must say that I was impressed. Not quite floored, but then again, I've only been at it for a short time. I'm sure I will be knocked on my ass before it's all said and done. And the game is playable online...just not officially. You have to use a tunneling program.

I ran around to 3 different retailers in a span of 20 minutes last night. Gamestop was first, but they said that they only had enough for preorders. Game Crazy said that their shipment was delayed, so they wouldn't have any until Wednesday morning. EB was my last resort(and the farthest away), but they did have some and I managed to get there right as they were about to lock the door. Today was in fact the shiping date, but since it's hotly anticipated, most of the specialty retailers got it in same day. I managed to reserve one at Game Rush over the past weekend, taking advantage of their 'trade 2-get $15 off a new game' deal. Sadly, they won't get the game until MAYBE Friday. I'm not waiting.

The difference in the way the cars handle is like night and day when compared to GT3. The transfer of weight is now quite apparent, and has to be taken into consideration heavily when manuvering the vehicle. It amplifies the strategic element in driving.

The car list is quite impressive, even from the get-go. Most surprising, I think, was the 1915 Ford Model T. I can't wait to drive it, silly as it sounds. My beloved Focus is in the game, so I'm a happy camper. Lots of cars represented this time, although I'd personally like to see a bit more of a variety in models, rather than the numerous year-to-year updates and the 15 different versions of the same car.

Graphics are simply the best I've ever seen on a console, period. 1080i is gorgeous. Even without it, it's excellent. The amount of detail is mind-boggling, and it all comes off without a hitch. Hitting walls and other vehicles causes a disorienting blur effect that works well and is much better than the time penalty that was considered earlier on in development.

Sound effects are well done. Everything is as it should be. Music is OK, but the butchered version of Papa Roach's Getting Away With Muder is horrid.

I'll give more about it later on, once I've played more and are more awake.

@Dangerboy: Printing photos is easy from what I saw at E3. Just time consuming due to the detail.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ship dates vs. Release dates.

19 times out of 20, when you see a release date online, that's the "Ship date" and the big specialty retailers (and little retailers willing to pay for the overnight shipping) like EB and Gamestop get them the next day. Best Buys, Targets, Walmarts etc. will get them 2 or 3 days later.

EB and Gamestop will also do what we call a "Same Day" release for major releases (usually do this about once or twice a month). Depending on the location of the district and where the games are shipping/distributing from, essentially what we do is send one person with a really big vehicle down to the distribution center (for us in Wisconsin, it's usually Chicago) and pick it up ourselves ON THE DAY IT SHIPS.

Essentially this means we get the game a day early. Usually (for us) it's in the evening- anywhere from 4pm to 8pm depending on Chicago traffic.

For some reason this time we were actuallly able to get it by 1pm!!

We had 188 copies for 72 preorders. We sold 73 total copies including about half of our preorders.

Today will be almost as big, because a lot of people (despite us calling all our preorders) still think the game is out today.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Thanks for the information. I figured GT 4 would count as a 'major release' and you could go get it last night.

When I went in this afternoon to my lcoal EB to get Kessen III they said TEN games came out today.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why do so many ppl here use the word "troll" ?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

about the troll thing... shaq-fu you! (hahaha ... j/k, no really, OWW!)
    EDIT: lol, and i still wonder why i on;y have a cherry.

wow, jimmy eat world! van halen can go to the 80's!!

oh, less than jake...

heres the listing in a non photo way http://au.playstation.com/ps2/games/g/gt4songs.html

and the original jap listing here:
    1. Moon Over The Castle(Orchestra Version)
    2. Kiss You Good-bye
    3. Get Closer
    4. Freedom To Win
    5. Nobody
    6. Green Monster
    7. Drive You Crazy
    8. Vette Lag
    9. The Motorious Zone
    10. Hypnosis
    11. An Old Bassman
    12. Mission Impossible
    13. Don't Kick Yourself
    14. Be At Home
    15. From The East To The West
    16. Endless Journey Ver.II
    17. Light Velocity Ver.II
    18. Horizon
    19. It's All About You
    20. Soul Surfer
    21. What To Believe
    22. Break Down

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm about 5 hours into it now (it was available Tuesday morning btw) and it's everything that I hoped that it would be......so far.

B-spec mode is magnificent once you get the hang of it. You can use it to gauge whether a car has enough guts to enter a prospective race BEFORE you waste tons of cash upgrading it.

The elevation changes to the tracks themselves are incredible. Blind corners and off-cambers all over the place. This game was clearly designed for the experienced GT enthusiast who needed MUCH more challenge. Newbies and arcade types need not apply.....you'll hate this game with a passion.

This game reminds me more of Sega GT than Gran Turismo 3. That's good. No more powersliding deftly around corners at mach 5. You spend way more time checking your speed and using the brakes this time around. If you don't choose the precise line around the track you'll find yourself in the weeds, watching the pack drive out of sight.

The graphics are incredible......the AI seems to have been made more reactive....the car and race selection is massive....and the game is a hell of a lot more difficult.

I'm in love.