Thread: GI subscription

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default GI subscription

He he he! For the third month in a row now, I recived a Game Informer in the mail. My subcription ended 3 months ago! Sweet sweet free GI goodness, baby!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Quite a few mags do that. EGM is particularly well-known (at least to me) for sending you about a dozen "we still haven't gotten your reply notice" letters in the mail despite the fact you're not interested. PSM...well...resubscribing to them soon is a waste. They once sent me a half a year's worth of issues after my subscription ended to try to keep me going.

What it comes down to in today's world, is that the more issues they put out and get int consumer's hands, the more appealing they are to advertisers (where their real money comes from). That's why you see so many free magazine offers online and packaged in with certain games. If they've got a bigger reader base, they can afford to give it away to make themselves lucrative to potential advertisers. The mags you'll never see do this are smaller ones or ones with pack-ins (Play, OXM, etc.).

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GI said that one issue was my last one. I got scared, and quickly re-subscribed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Speaking of game magazine subscriptions, has anyone here received anything at all yet from GMR magazine explaining whats going to happen to the remainder of our paid subscriptions? I called the customer service number for Ziff Davis today asking about it and was basically told that I'd have to wait till i received a post card in the mail asking what magazine I'd like to transfer the remaining issues to. For some reason they can't do the transfer by phone. I'm willing to be patient about this but I also don't want to be simply ignored and forgotten about either.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why? Is GMR going out of business?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drummy
    Why? Is GMR going out of business?
    The last issue of GMR (February) was the last. there was a post about it here a few weeks ago if you feel like searching for it. Read the notes from the editors in the beginning of the last issue and it says so there as well.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like Game Informer. The thing about the reviews is, you just subtract 5 and treat it as if the scale was 5 instead of 10. So, a 7 out of 10 is really a 2 out of 5. Funny, the numerical scores are slanted quite high, but the actual text of the reviews are pretty fair and unforgiveing.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's weird, I just noticed a few months ago that I wasn't getting EGM any more, apparently my subscription ran out if I remember correctly, and I never got any reminder notice. Ususally magazinse start sending me notices like 8 months before stuff runs out.

And I am also still getting the six months of free Gamepro even though I signed up over a year ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Quote Originally Posted by Dahne
    I like Game Informer. The thing about the reviews is, you just subtract 5 and treat it as if the scale was 5 instead of 10. So, a 7 out of 10 is really a 3 out of 5. Funny, the numerical scores are slanted quite high, but the actual text of the reviews are pretty fair and unforgiveing.
    They have a pretty poorly distributed review system. If you read it closely at the beginning of that section, they describe anything that gets a 5 as pretty awful, and anything below that as even further down the shitslide of horribleness. In my opinion, 5 should be completely and utterly average. Something genre fans may dig, but won't win new recruits. In that respect, I think they did a poor job.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kai
    And I am also still getting the six months of free Gamepro even though I signed up over a year ago.
    I got GamePro free for 4 years, not kidding.
    I collect Game Boy games and Systems. Currently looking for any R4 or R6 GB games (and a select few R5) available. PM if you got something.
    My collection: http://users.ign.com/collection/SimCrusher

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually just started getting free issues of Official PSM - with the demo discs. No idea why - I don't ever remember signing up for it anywhere, but hey, I'm not going to complain.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been getting Computer Gaming World for almost a year, and I've never subscribed to them. The keep telling me it's my last issue and, sure enough, I get a new one the next month.
    I go online sometimes, but ... everyone's spelling is really bad, and it's ... depressing.

--Tara from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

BEST SITE FOR IMPORTS!
    http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-pfh-71-99.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    Speaking of game magazine subscriptions, has anyone here received anything at all yet from GMR magazine explaining whats going to happen to the remainder of our paid subscriptions? I called the customer service number for Ziff Davis today asking about it and was basically told that I'd have to wait till i received a post card in the mail asking what magazine I'd like to transfer the remaining issues to. For some reason they can't do the transfer by phone. I'm willing to be patient about this but I also don't want to be simply ignored and forgotten about either.
    Nope. I haven't heard anything yet for either GMR or XBN.
    Leonard Herman
    The Game Scholar
    Publisher of Historical Videogame Books
    http://www.rolentapress.com
    Phoenix 4 coming in 2014

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Quote Originally Posted by rolenta
    Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    Nope. I haven't heard anything yet for either GMR or XBN.
    Atarian Magazine still owes me Nine bucks so I wouldn't hold your breath!

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my subscription to GI didnt end yet, it expires in july, but i stopped getting the magazine in dec..i guess emily is getting my copies!

DAHNE: if you subtract 5 from 7....doesnt that equal 2? im confused with the formula...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

uh...with subs some mags are a headache...take tips and tricks(I know I'm going to get it for complaining), paid for the sub in mid-november and finally got my first issue last weekend, and guess what one of the pages was mutilated. I seriously need to call the subscription dept and deal with this.

as for the 4 other mags I subscribe to they seem on the ball(EGM,PSM,NP,GI)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qbertandernie
    DAHNE: if you subtract 5 from 7....doesnt that equal 2? im confused with the formula...
    You are correct. We may have to get together and chip in to buy her The Typing of the Dead. Or Math Gran Prix. I'm not sure exactly what the problem was.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a note for Game Informer loyalists: The price to re-subscribe (and get the 10% off card) is GOING UP on March 1st, from the usual $10 to $14.99. Here's why:

* You get 12 issues instead of 10

* Your Game Informer Card (from now on referred to as a "More Card") will net you an extra 10% credit during trade-ins

Here's a tip: resubscribe BEFORE March 1st and you'll still only have to pay ten bucks. Your card will automatically switch to allow you to take advantage of the 10% extra on trades offer. As for whether or not you get the two extra magazines... your guess is as good as mine

Just thought I'd throw that in there. If you liek the magazine and you've been procrastinating about resubscribing, now may be a good time to do it.

My Complete Collection - Currently expanding my PS2 collection by buying up every five dollar game I see

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bah! Typo of doooooom.