Thread: UK Super Nintendo short life span? Retrovision #3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default UK Super Nintendo short life span? Retrovision #3

Hello all...

The newest and best edition of Retrovision is out and boy is it cool... VERY informative. Download it for free (no I don't work for them I don't even know them.)

It says that UK production of the SNES console stopped in 1999 while the States & Japan had production until 2003.

My question... was the SNES a bust in THE United Kingdom? (I said Japan originally... oops) Did the Megadrive do better than the SNES in the UK? I know the Master System was much bigger in the UK than in the States... did the NES do poorly in the UK as opposed to its phenominal success in the USA?

Answers, answers!!

Cheers

Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I have a lot of gamer friends in the UK, and from what they claim the Megadrive was indeed a better seller there then the SNES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

So the SNES only had a 3-4 year lifespan in the UK? That's pretty odd. It lasted way longer elsewhere in the world. Anyone know the approximate number of UK SNES releases?

UK = Sega Love (until the CD, 32x, Saturn and Dreamcast)

Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

wasnt the snes released in 1991? and if the production was stopped in 1999 (as you say) thats still an eight year run.

im very disturbed by the info that the snes stopped production in 2003 in japan and US, since i haven seen them in stores (online or otherwise) since like 1996.

im confused =\

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yes, the mega drive was more successfull in the UK than the SNES, but in the rest of europe the SNES was the winner
    -Jan

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

SNES was released in the UK in May 1992. I should know.. it came on my brother's birthday and we scrambled to persuade the parents to buy him one for his present

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The SNES certainly wasn't a failure in the UK.
    IIRC, the SNES wasn't launched over here until around April '92, so the Mega Drive had nearly a 2 year head-start, but the MD tailed off before the SNES did - they both had games released until '97ish, but the SNES was in a stronger position from about '95 onwards (although by then, the PSX was pushing them both out of the picture).

Overall, Sega had the edge in the UK, but looking at Europe as a whole, it was more-or-less even (Nintendo ruled Germany).

Going back to the 8-bit days, it was a similar story again - the Master System crushed the NES in the UK but lost out in Germany, although neither console had the same kind of impact as the NES did in the US since we were all to busy pirating each other's C64 & Spectrum tapes (and later Amiga/ST discs).
    When a console game cost around £40 as opposed to a cassette tape being £3-£10, it's not hard to see why consoles didn't really take off here until the 16-bit days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta!
    wasnt the snes released in 1991? and if the production was stopped in 1999 (as you say) thats still an eight year run.

im very disturbed by the info that the snes stopped production in 2003 in japan and US, since i haven seen them in stores (online or otherwise) since like 1996.

im confused =\
    Ah.. the bain of the English major... Poor math skills.

I am a confirmed moron, you know.

I got SNES (1991) mixed up with N64 (1996) and ran with it. Seems the UK SNES still had a healthy lifespan. Now I have posted my ignorance and inability to compute numbers for all to see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Megadrive definately sold more over here...

I can say that with confidence comparing the amount i have found in the wild compared to snes's i have fiound

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by fishsandwich
    Quote Originally Posted by Poofta!

im confused =\
    Ah.. the bain of the English major... Poor math skills.

I am a confirmed moron, you know.

I got SNES (1991) mixed up with N64 (1996) and ran with it. Seems the UK SNES still had a healthy lifespan. Now I have posted my ignorance and inability to compute numbers for all to see.

you the man. lets go throw rocks at pigeons together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cauterize
    Megadrive definately sold more over here...

I can say that with confidence comparing the amount i have found in the wild compared to snes's i have fiound
    I'm not sure that's a good indicator... the SNES ultimately sold better than the Genesis in the States... by several million consoles. Sega gave up to support the Saturn while Nintendo still had another year to wait for the N64 plus the SNES continued to sell well even after the N64 was out for a bit. Nintendo sold lots of SNES consoles with the debut of Killer Instinct and the DKC series... Sega had pretty much given up on the Genny. I remember reading an article somewhere about slow 32-bit acceptance where Sega admitted they could have sold more Genesis consoles over the 1995 Christmas season but ran out of stock becasue they figured the Saturn would be the big seller. With the PSX and Saturn at $300 or more, the SNES at $99 or whatever it was looked mighty attractive, especially if all the $80 Gennys were sold out.

It's MUCH easier to find a Genesis (1 or 2) than a SNES in stores in the States... by stores I mean 2nd-hand shops, thrift stores, pawn shops, flea markets, yard sales, etc. Seems people hold onto their SNES consoles more than their Gennys.

Cheers

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Was gonna say what FishSandwich said. I think more SNES are being held onto instead of Sega's machine in general.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good Point Guys...

*ill go crawl under a rock again* :P :P

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry to go a little off topic but despite what quite a few people think, the NES outsold the SMS in Australia.