Thread: Is this guying selling GBA pirates?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is this guying selling GBA pirates?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...171390047&rd=1

The box says "Official Strategy Guide"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...172781978&rd=1

The box says "Press Start"

These are GBA pirates right?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like pirates to me...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sure looks like it to me. I would say 95% of the time, if a seller is selling GBA games and they're in hong kong, they're pirates. Sad but true.
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They do look like pirates to me... There are also a lot of bootleg/pirate GBA games on ebay.nl, it's rediculous! A few weeks ago I was looking for Minish Cap, and I did find about 15 auction. But, the pictures all looked like they contained bootlegged games!

Some of the auctions have the usual: "No box and nu manual, you only receive the cartridge". If that's the case, why display the box?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thats hilarious, "Press Start"

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The box art of the Bad Dream has been lifted from Wacky Stackers. In Bad Dream Buster and Taz hold no grudge at each other.

"I never should the games I sold and I have replaced them but they are not the game just a hollow shell of the same game." -RugalSizzler

Strawberry (Level 2) Pedro Lambrini's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Definite pirates. The Tiny toons game has the wrong cover and the Megaman game doesn't have the Ninty seal on the front of the box. This is, for me, the worst thing about ebay. It has some cool shit on it but then poor folks get stung with this pish. It's a shame...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The best part is the listing of "Sony GBA Game"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Theyre pirates....Mexico is full of those bootlegs too

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wow, at 10, a pirate sounds pretty good to me. Even when you consider that the game sucks.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The gba pirate games on ebay really get on my nerves, it stops me from buying any gba games from there, cause you just don't know.
    swines, the lot of em
    Currently collecting Amiga games

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's pretty funny, reminds me of an instance of plagarism in my Middle School.

A friend of mine, Dan, had to do a write-up on something or other. I don't even recall what the subject is now. Anyway, he just did a good ol' "Control A" on the MS Encarta entry, pasted it to word, edited the very beginning where it said Encarta, and handed it in, never read it.

He neglected to remove the "See Related Articles" stuff at the bottom. Got suspended for 2 days and an F in the class, lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, Hong Kong is the piracy capitol of the world.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default .

I came across some GBA pirates a while back. They had the word;

NINTONDO

written on the back of the cart.
    --------------
    10 PRINT "THX IS SKILL"
    20 GOTO 10

RUN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He's no longer a registered user btw

Strawberry (Level 2) GunPanther's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a tip:

Whenever a seller on Ebay (or any other online storefront for that matter) describes that you will receive a "brand new game with a box that is folded, but not covered in the plastic wrapping" (or something similar to that effect) that's usually a red flag right there.

A couple of years ago, I bought a GBA copy of "Doom" from a seller based in Los Angeles. What I had received was a bootleg copy of the game, complete with folded box, cartridge and instruction booklet.

The reproduction was very good, so much to the point that if you're not 'trained' in looking for the tell-tale signs of a pirate cartridge, you'd think it was an officially licensed Nintendo Product.

I was pissed when I received it and I threatened to report the seller directly to Nintendo of America HQ in Seattle if he didn't refund my money. In turn, I would send him the pirate cart back, but surprisingly, the guy refunded my money and told me to keep the game. (I guess it was a 'bribe' tactic)

Since Doom was still a new release for the GBA a couple of years back, I brought it in to Gamestop and they gave me a full $18.00 trade-in credit for it. Those yokels couldn't tell the difference. (It just goes to show you not only how good the bootleg copy was, but how lame the Gamestop employees can be.)

GunPanther
    "Sometimes you just have to shoot their limbs to get their attention."

Good traders: Querjek, k8track, youruglyclone

http://users.ign.com/collection/gymleader_panther

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by GunPanther
    I was pissed when I received it and I threatened to report the seller directly to Nintendo of America HQ in Seattle if he didn't refund my money. In turn, I would send him the pirate cart back, but surprisingly, the guy refunded my money and told me to keep the game. (I guess it was a 'bribe' tactic)

Since Doom was still a new release for the GBA a couple of years back, I brought it in to Gamestop and they gave me a full $18.00 trade-in credit for it. Those yokels couldn't tell the difference. (It just goes to show you not only how good the bootleg copy was, but how lame the Gamestop employees can be.)
    So you threatened to report the seller to Nintendo, but then had no qualms about defrauding Gamestop by trading in a pirate game.
    How does that make you any different to the pirate seller?

Strawberry (Level 2) GunPanther's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama

So you threatened to report the seller to Nintendo, but then had no qualms about defrauding Gamestop by trading in a pirate game.
    How does that make you any different to the pirate seller?
    Simple. I sold the game for credit at GAMESTOP. Why? Because Gamestop sucks. They have the most obnoxious employees who don't know shit about what they sell. (Did I also mention that they're never helpful?) Besides, they accepted the bootleg with open arms. To them, it was an official product.

As for the bootleg cartridge, what else was I supposed to do with it? Keep it? Or take advantage of it's 'value' in trade credit?

Think of this situation:

If you saw a $20.00 bill on the ground and no one else noticed it, would you keep walking by or would you stoop down and pick it up? Opportunity, man. OPPORTUNITY.

I saw a chance to capitalize on the moment, so I did. More power to me. Besides..... I went and bought an official Nintendo game with the credit anyway. I just ended up saving $18.00 in the process.

Was what I did wrong? I'm pretty sure. At the same time, I'd be a fool to pass up an opportunity to save money in the long run.

On the same note, think of what I did to Gamestop as 'payback' for the hundreds of thousands of people who get ripped off by their 'buy a customer's product for a really, really low price and then sell it at over an 80% markup to the next customer' business procedures.

-------------------------------------
    Gamestop - "Okay, we're only going to give you $0.50 cents credit for that Super Mario RPG SNES game."

Customer - "That's it? Okay, fine."

Gamestop - (thinks to self) "SUCKER!" Then places a sticker price tag of $29.99 on the cartridge.

-------------------------------------

Oh wait.... it's business. They run their house the way they see fit. I would do the exact same thing again in a heartbeat.

GunPanther
    "Sometimes you just have to shoot their limbs to get their attention."

Good traders: Querjek, k8track, youruglyclone

http://users.ign.com/collection/gymleader_panther

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Simple. I sold the game for credit at GAMESTOP. Why? Because Gamestop sucks. They have the most obnoxious employees who don't know shit about what they sell. (Did I also mention that they're never helpful?) Besides, they accepted the bootleg with open arms. To them, it was an official product.
    You know what Gamestop does indeed suck, I could tell you from working there, only you're not ripping off GameStop. They'll turn around and sell that game for slightly less then full price to some poor customer who won't know the difference. That's the person you're really scamming. And you know what the kicker is? Gamestop's selling that game for oh, say $25 after paying you $18. So again, you rip off the little guy AND made a profiet for GameStop. Good work vigilante.