Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M-rated games

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default M-rated games

OK, I've been thinking lately that a big reason that some games "make" it so big is because of their "M" rating. If a game is good, and is rated Mature, then lots of kids in the 13-year-old age range will be playing it and making a big fuss over it mainly because it's a game for "adults" according to the rating. Thus it is "cool" to them because it "makes them look older".

You know what I'm saying?

I mean games like Halo, Couterstrike, GTA, etc. Half the reason that lots of kids play them is because it'll make them look "cool" in the eyes of other kids.

"I'm gonna go play Halo"
    "Cool. Isn't that rated Mature?"
    "Yep"
    "Cool!"

Agree? Disagree?

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very much agreed. It's just like smoking cigarettes underage or drinking underage or doing illegal drugs. Do it, and you're cool. It's the same with music and movies and games. If it's forbidden to you because of your age, then that just makes it even more attractive to you because of your age.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah. Like when you're in a store and this little 10-year-old is getting his parents to buy him CD's with the Parental Advisory. Heh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so agreeable, my 12 year old neighbor only buys m rated games... he turned down ratchet and clank to get true crime... hes a dumb ASS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

There are lots of games that bend over backwards trying to be edgy when they don't need to be. Take a look at Prince of Persia: Warrrior Within. The first game (rated T) was a modern masterpiece, but unfortunately didn't sell like one. The new one is filled with unnecessary cussing, T&A, buckets of blood and more combat. I played for a little while and was just turned off by it's new dark coat of paint. Give me one like last year's model!

I chalk it up to well over half the nation being on a fucking mental vacation. It's the same reason the store I work at part time sold out of Catwoman (on DVD, though selling out of the game would also be commendable for its' sheer sigh-worthiness), and why games like the aforementioned True Crime outsold superior games like PoP: Sands of Time. Why think or be challenged when you can set the ol' pink lump on cruise control and enjoy explosions, cussing and all of the warning signs of a delusional retarded bovine?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If that's true, then why are there almost no AO rated games? You'd think those would be even more profitable.

Then again, a GTA-style game just wouldn't be right without at least an M-rating.

I must admit that my favorite modern games almost always have an M rating.
    Everything is yellow to a jaundiced eye.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No. Completely disagree. Because I was 13 when there where M rated games, I know what its like. Just because a game is intended for 17+ dosn't automatically make you want to play it. You may think so in the sence of 'Those silly kids', but thats not the case at all.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Take GTA, slap a big ol' "E" on the box, and I guarantee no one would give a crap about it.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If that's true, then why are there almost no AO rated games? You'd think those would be even more profitable.
    Simply because there aren't any stores in North America that would want to sell any such game. At least none that I know of.

I wouldn't say that an "M" rating alone makes an automatic best seller; GTA and Halo sell because in the opinions of many, they're just good games. However, I do believe that M rated games do get points due to the whole forbidden fruit-ness of what comes with that rating. In other words, GTA will get someone's attention faster than say, Katamari Damacy just because of the rating and controversy surrounding it.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

There ARE AO games. I recently got two -- Lesiure Suit Larry: MGM and Singles. However, both are PC games, both I ordered and downloaded from online, and both have M rated versions sold in stores. AO games need to be sold online to get around the restrictions that stores have.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yes and no. I think it's more about what goes into the game receiving such a rating than the rating itself. Most kids these days, at least most young boys, are attracted to anything and everything that has blood, gore, sex, cursing, etc. Like it or not, but modern America is turning into a society absolutely obsessed with and in love with fantasy violence.

The M rating helps confirm to kids that it'll contain all the stuff mentioned above, but really, look back to when Mortal Kombat came out. There was no rating for it, but kids were still attracted to it because of the whole "Oh shit, he just ripped out his spine! Look it all that blood, man!" factor.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.FoodMonster
    No. Completely disagree. Because I was 13 when there where M rated games, I know what its like. Just because a game is intended for 17+ dosn't automatically make you want to play it. You may think so in the sence of 'Those silly kids', but thats not the case at all.
    I agree with foodmonster. I'm 15 and and have never payed attention to any game ratings, i buy my games based on the gameplay and the storyline more than anything. i dont give a rat's ass what other people think of me. so if i think it looks interesting im going to buy it whether it was EC or AO and anywhere in betwen.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never said that this was true in every case, ya know . I completely realize that a lot of people play games solely because they like the game.

I'm just suggesting that a big factor in the success of many games is only because of it's M rating.

For example, I seriously doubt that Halo would have been NEARLY as big a thing if it's Teen rating had stayed.

I mean, seriously now. So many people make such a big thing of the "story", but what's so great about it? The planet is being invaded by aliens, and MC has to save the planet. Um...OK...

And is the game so revolutionary? I don't think so. It's just a normal shooter. That's all.

And don't think that I never gave Halo a chance. I did. I bought the game, and seriously tried liking it. I wasn't skeptical at all about it.

Thoughts?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The M rating is a large draw to many people my age. (15) The average kid seems prefer M rated games over others. I hear plenty of talk about GTA or Halo 2 at our school, and yet equally as good or better games (Ratchet and Clank, GT4, etc.) get dumped upon.
    Of course, I think hype has to do with it too. People want to be part of the "in crowd" so they buy into the Halo or GTA hype. Sure, they're both pretty good games, but there are certainly better ones.
    -Craig
    So it goes.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, but kids do play a huge role in the hype...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: M-rated games

When I was a kid , Sonic 3 was just as cool as DOOM , vid games are aren't like drugs or whatever kids play what they like, not because of the rateing
    Thank you Mario! but the prinsess is in another castle! %$#&**# <STYLE TYPE="text/css">p {align=justify}
    BODY{cursor: url(http://www.boomspeed.com/sfhelpers/cursors/201.cur);}
    a {cursor: url(http://www.boomspeed.com/sfhelpers/cursors/201.cur);}
    </STYLE><b style=position:absolute;left:137;top:15;font-family:verdana;font-size:8pt;>[/i]Cursor by www.Soup-Faerie.Com[/b]

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think there is an age for this kind of thinking, and it's around the same age as "I hate my parents"

You start off playing games just becasue you love it, no matter the game, It's all about quality.
    Then you enter into the age where it has to be "cool and edgy", because that's what you are and apperance is important
    Then as you get a little older, It turns into, screw it, I don't really care about being cool and edgy, where are the good games at?

Not everybody goes through these cycles, but a lot do. As an aside, My parents never limited what I played, ever My Parents bought me Mortal Kombat when Myself and my sister where 12 and 9 years old. I think to a large extent that's why I didn't go through the stages, because if a game wasn't forbidden, then there wasn't that added incentive.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

i'm waiting for the day when they will have NR titles...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frodo2968
    So many people make such a big thing of the "story", but what's so great about it? The planet is being invaded by aliens, and MC has to save the planet. Um...OK...

And is the game so revolutionary? I don't think so. It's just a normal shooter. That's all.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that Halo is "revolutionary," but the game was unique in the sense that no FPS featured enemies which reacted as strategically and life-like as those of Halo.

I agree that "M" ratings may influence the public's reception of games, but I don't think the phenomenon is as prominent as you make it out to be.

Final Fantasy sells a buttload of copies every time a new installment in the series comes out. EA's Madden games sell through the roof despite the absence of "wardrobe malfunctions"

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dj898
    i'm waiting for the day when they will have NR titles...
    Seriously, I've been surprised for a while now that they haven't had those. I mean, think of all the possibilities