Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gran Turismo 4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Gran Turismo 4

Is anybody else as rabid over this as I am? It's like the Cadillac of racing games (hur hur). 1080i HDTV mode is absolutely incredible. Of course, it's the only game I've played in anything but standard NTSC 480i other than Dreamcast in VGA, so I don't have much basis for comparison. ;-) I can't even imagine playing in 6-screen mode using a half dozen HDTV widescreens. Jesus.

Camera mode rocks. But I can't figure out how to take photos of race replays. I've heard some people mentioning it like it's possible, but I sure as hell haven't figured it out. Any hints?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i only know it's possible to take those shots, no idea how

imho GT4 would be a great game if they wouldn't call it realistic, this game ain't realistic at all, physics ain't and there's no damage so please don't call it realistic

other than that, it's great
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Default gt4

i have been playing the shit out of it to....good game...but i am a little disapointed in the graphs...not much of a improvement over gt3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, there are a few things that keep GT4 from being perfect.

No damage.
    No fuel tank simulation (burn rate, weight decrease, etc).
    No online support.
    I'm not sure if tire wear has been improved, because I haven't played endurance yet.

But other than that, I can almost feel my GPA dropping while I play this game for hours on end.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

I played this game for a while this weekend. If I were to sum it up in one word, it would be "meh". I don't see any radical improvements over GT3. Same game with more cars and new tracks IMHO. I would say pick it up if you played this shit out of GT3 and need something new, but I still have a ways to go in GT3 so I see no reason to buy GT4.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba
    I played this game for a while this weekend. If I were to sum it up in one word, it would be "meh". I don't see any radical improvements over GT3. Same game with more cars and new tracks IMHO. I would say pick it up if you played this shit out of GT3 and need something new, but I still have a ways to go in GT3 so I see no reason to buy GT4.

Chris
    I disagree the vehicles seems to perform much better in this version. You feel much more connected to the road. The tracks have been greatly improved too. There no longer bumpy as all hell when theres an elevation change. A big plus for me is the car selection, theres some real variety. I love the ammount of classics they put in. Theres still 20+ skylines but you can now drive trucks minivans, even the model t.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just got the Logitech Driving Force (not Pro). I can sum up the experience in 3 bytes:

O_O

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrit2
    Yeah, there are a few things that keep GT4 from being perfect.

No damage.
    No fuel tank simulation (burn rate, weight decrease, etc).
    No online support.
    I'm not sure if tire wear has been improved, because I haven't played endurance yet.
    You forgot the biggest one. The opponent AI is still weak. This game is very pretty and collecting cars is fun, but this series, in my mind, has always been lacking because the racing part of things is always going to be about tuning your car rather than actual racing. All the drones just drive the race line and don't put up much challenge. Once you figure out how to tweek your car and stay within the limits set for the race, you're golden.

I still think some of the best AI I've ever played against was in TOCA on the PSX. Yeah, that game was UGLY, but if you started playing bumper cars like you can in GT, the other drivers in TOCA start fighting back.

Oh, and the given excuse for the lack of damage, that the manufacturers don't want their cars banged up, is bullcrap. I think almost all of the major makers cars have appeared in one game or another that allowed damage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, true, the AI pretty much flat out sucks. Ha ha. They drive like you aren't even there. Of course, that does mean that you can do the same to them. ;-) Despite that, they still put up a respectable fight, as long as you aren't just blowing past them with the 800+ HP Cadillac Cien or something.

And I noticed that GT4 does have a proper fuel tank, though I'm not sure if it has any effect on weight distribution of the car. I suppose it wouldn't be a big deal if it doesn't, because your shredded tires would be the bigger issue if you're driving long enough to almost drain the tank.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

OK, so what am I doing wrong that 1080i won't work? I've got a compatable TV, component cables, and the games. What gives???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Strange. I'm able to just go into screen settings, change it to 16:9 and 1080i, and that's it. What happens when you try to do it? No picture? Does 480p work?

Also keep in mind that the game defaults to standard NTSC 480i every time you start it up. This is sort of a safety feature to prevent against having to delete your save file because of not having access to a 1080i television. It's saved my ass a few times so far when I forget to set the game back to standard video after playing on the huge HDTV in my apartment lounge. ;-)

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the controll on the new gt4($$$) wheel lack's consistant feedback..and it's too stiff
    ..i preferred on the analog controller.. the graphic's are good ..but it would be better on a lcd/plasma tv
    GOOD SELLER'S: lone_monster, *BUYER"S**FantasiaWHT , The_Chosen_One, max 330 mega, DDCecil, video_game_addict, optic_85, **underexposed+ **, Querjek, buffquinn, Crush Crawfish, The Collector, pseudonym, bobdrywalls , charitycasegreg, y-bot, Captain Yashiro, ** Lady Jaye**,, buttasuperb

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by racecar
    the controll on the new gt4($$$) wheel lack's consistant feedback..and it's too stiff
    You mean the $150 Driving Force Pro? I haven't tried that one myself, but the less expensive Driving Force works like a dream. Ferrari F355 controls a little weird with it, though, because there's a HUGE dead zone in that game. Maybe a little control setting tweaking will fix that.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

You think that the Driving Force is good, wait until to try the DF Pro. It takes all of those small physics/handling tweaks and puts them to good use. Well worth the scratch if you can foot it.

The only downside is trying to find a place to put the damn thing, since the lap rest from the GT/Driving force wheel doesn't fit it. Desk clamp is the only way to go.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrit2
    Strange. I'm able to just go into screen settings, change it to 16:9 and 1080i, and that's it. What happens when you try to do it? No picture? Does 480p work?
    Yeah, it goes weird for a second, then I get no picture at all. 480p works ok though. I'm wondering if it's not the TV, it can be a bit wonky from time to time.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damage in racing games is retarded.

GT doesn't need accurately modeled damage, and neither does anything else.

If you hit something any harder than some predetermined variable (x, let's say), the race is over, right there. THAT would be real. Either your car is ok or it isn't. No one goes flying off the track into a barrier at 90mph and then finishes the race in real life, the car is just trashed, it's over. That's how the game should be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by WanganRunner
    Damage in racing games is retarded.

GT doesn't need accurately modeled damage, and neither does anything else.

If you hit something any harder than some predetermined variable (x, let's say), the race is over, right there. THAT would be real. Either your car is ok or it isn't. No one goes flying off the track into a barrier at 90mph and then finishes the race in real life, the car is just trashed, it's over. That's how the game should be.
    While I agree with your second thought, I strongly disagree with the first. Anything claiming to be the "real" diving simulator should be able to show the real effects of real conditions on the cars. I'm not talking bang up derby here, but the cars in GT4 don't even get dirty on a dirt track. Little things like that kind of blow the whole "realism" aspect for me.

I think being able to damage your car would make the game better because there'd be no more playing bumper cars or bouncing off the walls. Even little rubs that won't stop your car dead will effect the performance in real life, and I think the game should reflect that.

At the very least though, you shouldn't be able to fly into a wall and still win the race.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always been a passionate Gran Turismo fan and looked forward to 4 with great anticipation. I've spent years playing 1, 2 and 3 with great pleasure.

It was very surprising when I came to the realization that I greatly disliked 4. Got all of my licences (easier by far), played to 30% and couldn't stomach the slow pace and new physics engine any longer. I felt that the new direction of the game was very suppressive. To call me disappointed would be the understatement of the year.

It's okay though. Not everyone's going to love it. (I loved B-spec mode however)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Killemall1057

Playing through it now, at 38.5 %

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Probably a stupid question, but the instructions were less than helpful. What are the A-Spec points for? I know you get more for racing with an underpowered car, but what good is earning them?