Thread: New, unopened disc-based consoles in boxes

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default New, unopened disc-based consoles in boxes

I have a dilema and question for experts here.

I have a few new, unopened new consoles (Dreamcast and Neo-Geo CD) that are not even opened, I'm at a point of debating whether to open it and let it run for a little bit or just keep them in the box.

I've heard about new disc-based consoles having the belt dried up if you don't use them (the heat keeps the units' belts moist and smooth), so what's everyone's opinions here? How long can I let my new consoles sit in the box w/o the belts dying on me? Even if the units are dying, can the belts be easily replaced or repaired?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you mean disk-based consoles? I can't say I've heard any disc-based consoles having belts and certainly not DC or NGCD.

I would imagine heat would dry up and stretch the belts rather than keeping them moist. When they go, they go. Usually easy to replace, more a problem to search a suitable replacement.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where did your hear that?
    I have some (Saturns) myself so would like to know if there could be any problems.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, I would imagine most disc based console have a belt or 2 in there somewhere, and they are going to crack/break down.

The famicom disk system being the worse, it's older and a disk as opposed to a disc, but really ANY system with ANY moving parts is going to have SOME kind of belt in there. Look in your CD burner when the tray pops out, usually 3-4 belts right there in plain sight.

As for the answer. I say screw it. You'll never be able to keep the belts good long enough, and replacements CAN'T be THAT hard to get. Most of them are the equivilant of a black rubber band.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the console is a tray loader (Sega CD v1, Jp Neo Geo CD v1, PS2), it will probably have a belt that drives the open/close/load/unload mechanism. Because of the possibility of the tray getting hung up on something, a belt is used to prevent damage to the gears.

If it's a pop-top (DC, Saturn, PSX), things are typically directly or gear driven (disc motor is connected directly to the platter, the sled motor drives the laser via worm gear.)

In either case, things could stand to be relubed after 10-15 years. There are a multitude of flat, square, and round belts available, so sourcing a replacement shouldn't be too big of a problem.