Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what's the deal with resurfacing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default So what's the deal with resurfacing?

What are the types of technologies used?

How many microns do resurfacing machines remove, and how many times could you resurface a disc before it is down to the divits?

Can you tell a properly resurfaced disc from a new disc? I'm not talking about that sham, the Disc Doctor.

ian

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Since it's on topic, after answering his question, anyone know of a place I can get some PSone games resurfaced online? A place that resurfaces but leaves no marks, I got about 100 that I need to get done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No sham- it always works for me. In fact, my Disc Dr fixed my Fatal Frame disc that had been further damaged by an Allsop repair kit (which has yet to prove ITS worth).
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

It's so common that I just typed "resurfacing" into the search engine and turned up 10 other topics on it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Our stores resurface dozens of discs per day each. How many times one can be resurfaced depends totally on how deep the deepest scratches are. A disc can usually be done about a dozen times, but one very deep scratch requires that the entire surface area of the non-label side be sanded down to that depth...thus leaving less surface to be removed later. The best process is first sanding down the disc so that all scratches are removed (determined by the deepest scratches) with a rotary sanding machine....then buffing to a smooth bright shine. We use special machines designed exclusively for this purpose. Though you can tell a resurfaced disc from a new one, when done properly it is very difficult...and must often be shimmered under a light (or looked at with younger eyes than mine) to detect the circular micro-lines left behind. The buffing/shine is not a required step. It is cosmetic, but our customers really appreciate the new look on the CD's we sell. Motto: one should never sell a scratched game or one loses job.
    just checking

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While I know nothing about professional level resurfacing I do want to stick up for the Game/Disc Doctors.

They are of course NOWHERE near as good as a professional resurfacing, but for the price, they do a decent job. I've had about a 60-70% success rate with them. The discs don't LOOK the best with those diagonal lines, but most of the time they do start working again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

We have these machines at our stores as well. You can tell a cd that has been resurfaced even if done very well. The edge of the cd has a more rounded look where one that has not been resurfaced has a sharper edge.

Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari
    We have these machines at our stores as well. You can tell a cd that has been resurfaced even if done very well. The edge of the cd has a more rounded look where one that has not been resurfaced has a sharper edge.

Adam
    does the bottom of the cd look like it has been attacked with a fine grit though? or is it smooth ?

willie

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT
    While I know nothing about professional level resurfacing I do want to stick up for the Game/Disc Doctors.

They are of course NOWHERE near as good as a professional resurfacing, but for the price, they do a decent job. I've had about a 60-70% success rate with them. The discs don't LOOK the best with those diagonal lines, but most of the time they do start working again
    I'll second that, and I was very skeptical about the Disc Doctor. My girlfriend got one since she has slightly different ideas on CD storage than I do, and I've used it on a bunch of her CDs and almost all of them play again.

Of course, I should preface that by saying I've only ever used it on music CDs.

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    Since it's on topic, after answering his question, anyone know of a place I can get some PSone games resurfaced online?

Estarland and House Of Cards And Games both do it. Maybe you should give either one of them a try.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by testament89
    Since it's on topic, after answering his question, anyone know of a place I can get some PSone games resurfaced online?

Estarland and House Of Cards And Games both do it. Maybe you should give either one of them a try.
    Thanks and Thanks..

I've been waiting to buy a Disc Doctor for a pile of scratched Cd games I've acquired over the yrs.

Do you guy use the Motorized version or the manual version..

Which one would you recommend.?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since it's on topic, after answering his question, anyone know of a place I can get some PSone games resurfaced online? A place that resurfaces but leaves no marks, I got about 100 that I need to get done.
    thegametrader.com.. e-mail repairs@thegametrader.com and we'll probably be able to work out a bulk discount... we do a lot of the local movie rental stores' stuff like that
    Frobba.com - Stuff No One Cares About

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Technology wise, is it just a sander? Is it a specialized sander? Is there a laser resurfacing device?

I've seen guys improvise with a hand sander- claiming that they have good results. Seems a bit crude to me.

I just can't bring myself to disc doctor. I'll be waiting for the 25 cent or dollar resurfacer at the record store or whatever. Or I'll use a service or store. I've seen some resurfacing jobs that look like a new disk.

ian

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ianoid
    Technology wise, is it just a sander? Is it a specialized sander? Is there a laser resurfacing device?

I've seen guys improvise with a hand sander- claiming that they have good results. Seems a bit crude to me.

I just can't bring myself to disc doctor. I'll be waiting for the 25 cent or dollar resurfacer at the record store or whatever. Or I'll use a service or store. I've seen some resurfacing jobs that look like a new disk.

ian
    We use the machines purchased from cdrepairman.com... They're expensive, but get the job done. We use a 4 stage process. It wet-sands the disc a few times and then polishes it up. They look brand new. Of course, this is because the tech knows what he's doing. If you or I tried it with these, we'd probably eff up a few discs.
    Frobba.com - Stuff No One Cares About

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

have you guys seen those CD protector things that slip on the CD to prevent scratches? if so, do they actually work? i have a few scratched CDs but i have even more that a in mint and i would like to preserve them. they stay on when its in the drive and everything.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Like some other people here, I can vouch for the Disc Doctor, but I've only used it on music CD's. Yes, it's easy to tell it's been fixed, but hey, if you're keeping the disc for life, who cares?
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSNightmarE
    have you guys seen those CD protector things that slip on the CD to prevent scratches? if so, do they actually work? i have a few scratched CDs but i have even more that a in mint and i would like to preserve them. they stay on when its in the drive and everything.
    Yes!!!! The CD condoms!!!!!!

We sell them at our store for some ridiculous price.... like $20 for a pack of 20. I mean come ON it's just really thin rubber.

I have no idea if they work or not, but I imagine they could mess with the spin rate of your system...

From my experience (back in about 2000, this was THE big push for EB games... had to familiarize ourselves with them quite a bit) the motorized and handcrank work just as well, but doing the hand crank does take about 2-3 minutes per direction (you are supposed to do it both ways, clockwise and counterclockwise) so can give you some serious carpal tunnel if you have to any large number

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ianoid
    I've improvised by using an automotive-type car buffer and some car polish. Makes a pretty decent mess, but I shined up a copy of GTA3 to nearly-new appearance.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSNightmarE
    Yes!!!! The CD condoms!!!!!!

We sell them at our store for some ridiculous price.... like $20 for a pack of 20. I mean come ON it's just really thin rubber.

I have no idea if they work or not, but I imagine they could mess with the spin rate of your system...

From my experience (back in about 2000, this was THE big push for EB games... had to familiarize ourselves with them quite a bit) the motorized and handcrank work just as well, but doing the hand crank does take about 2-3 minutes per direction (you are supposed to do it both ways, clockwise and counterclockwise) so can give you some serious carpal tunnel if you have to any large number LOL
    is that what the product is really called if not I'm filing the trademark asdap

but there is another product it's call d-skins I have a pack at home but I'm so indecisive as to which disk will get the "d-skin" treatment that the pack remains unopen

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i think that was the one that im thinking of. the D-skin. i havent seen the commercial in a while. im gonna stop by EBgames later and get some...if im not doing something.