Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone else refuse to keep/collect really expensive games?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Iron Draggon nailed it in his last post.

As with anything collectible, there comes a time when you step over the threshhold from being a collector to being a COLLECTOR. When you start paying the big bux you've reached the point where everything is open and no price is too steep in order to acquire what you need. It's where the old saying "you can't get wetter than wet" comes into play.

I'm sure that there are many of you here that have another collecting jones that runs you more money than your videogame hobby.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never say never is my motto.

I probably wouldn't keep a really expensive game - but I am more than willing to buy it, play it and then sell it on. If I make money, great - if I lose money then I view it as like a kind of rental fee

I bought Panzer Dragoon Saga for about £85. I kept it for about three months, played it through, completed it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I shouldn't really have bought it as I was broke and used my overdraft to get it.

But I loved every moment of it .. and then sold it for £95 - all good! But even if it had only gone for £75 then £10 for three months of one of the greatest games I ever played would be a price I would have been more than willing to pay.

I think that is the most I have ever paid for a game (I bid more for Darxide, but lost ... again, I would have played it, and then resold ..)

Again, I am glad I shelled out to play Snatcher - another of the greatest games I ever played! Got it cheap as it has a broken case. Played it, swapped the case out for a mint one from Ecco the Dolphin or something and doubled my money on the re-sell ... but again, if I had only got half my money back I would have been more than happy to take the hit in order to play that game.

Vroomfunkel

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I had the cash I would pay any amount of cash for a game that I needed. I collect to have complete games for each system so if have to fork out big bucks then so be it. I have tons of crap but it is part of my collection, I have over 50 TRS-80 games and they will never get played again, but I collect for the system so they will stay.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by esquire
    I think you need to first break it down between buying for collecting and buying for playing. You also then need to break it down further between carts and cds.
    For what its worth, I don't think any game is worth paying much over $100 or $200 to play, especially older classic games w/ no depth and moderate replay value. If you polled 1000 people who spent over $100 on a game I'd bet that 90% of them would tell you that they bought the game for a collection or to resell at a profit moreso than they bought it just to play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since I collect to play, monetary worth is just a small factor for me. If I were to get a grail on the cheap, I would keep it if it was something I was looking for, or if it were a TRUE rarity, but would most likely trade it for something worthwhile if I had no use for it.

I will say that it is a nice feeling to blow someone away with a Radiant Silvergun or Dracula X and then reveal how much it's worth.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    I'll keep them around if they're fun to play, then possibly sell them at some point later.
    I can't add more to that.