Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Random Game O' the Day: Resident Evil 2

Our suspiciously and seemingly non-random Random Game Generator chose a very popular title today - perhaps due to the previously unpopular choices of past weeks? Who can tell! It's Resident Evil 2, which appears on just about every game platform since its original PlayStation release.

I haven't played RE4 yet (waiting for a nice free block of time to wedge this into) but to date RE2 is my favorite in the series. The pace is much better than the others, and the introduction of several new kinds of baddies at key points in the game's plot is still a vivid memory.

Where does Resident Evil 2 stand with you? What did you like or dislike about the game? Which of the myriad versions of the game do you own? Write your min-review HERE.

DP Guide sez:

U.S. Game Releases

Resident Evil 2 (Dreamcast, by Capcom) $25/R4
    Third person survival horror, now with a 128-bit update. Action/Survival Horror. PERIODICALS: Electronic Gaming Monthly gave this game a 8 (out of 10). Released 12/14/00.

Resident Evil 2 (Game.com, by Tiger) $1/R1
    Differing from it's PlayStation counterpart, this version of Resident Evil 2, you may only play as Leon. Contains a backup battery to save your data. Action/Survival Horror. BOX DESCRIPTION: ''Zombies have overtaken the city. It's now up to you, a sworn officer of the law, to stop them. It's one terrifyingly evil encounter after another. Can you survive the horror? If the suspense doesn't kill you.something else will.'' Released 1998. c1998 Capcom. #71-745.

Resident Evil 2 (GameCube, by Capcom) $0/R0
    Action/Survival Horror. Released 01/14/03.

Resident Evil 2 (N64, by Capcom) $10/R3
    Developed by Capcom Production Studio 3. Co-developed with Angel Studios. Gray cart. Rated M. How did they stuff a CD game into a cartridge? While its a port of the popular PlayStation game (right down to the FMV sequences), RE 2 for the N64 scares up some new features and improvements like better graphics, surround sound, new unlockable costumes, a scrapbook that allows the player to view information on the entire RE series, 4MB Expansion Pak capability for high-res graphics and a randomizer that shuffles items around after the game's been played through. And the critics said it couldn't be done. Hah! Action/Survival Horror. EASTER EGGS: The bad guys aren't so scary when you're impervious to harm. From the main menu, select "Load Game," then enter Down, Down, Down, Down, Left, Left, Left, Left, L, R, R, L, CUp, CDown. PERIODICALS: Electronic Gaming Monthly gave this game a 9, 9, 9, and a 7.5 (Out of 10). Released 11/16/99. #NUS-NREE-USA-1.

Resident Evil 2 (PlayStation, by Capcom) $10/R1 +
    a.k.a. BioHazard 2 (Japan)
    A 2-CD set. Also available in the "Greatest Hits" packaging. The GH version is compatible with the Dual Shock controller, the original is not. A later printing allowed compatibility with the Dual Shock and is known as Resident Evil 2: Dual Shock Edition. Action/Survival Horror.

Resident Evil 2: Dual Shock Edition (PlayStation, by Capcom) $12/R4
    A 2-CD set. This version is now compatible with the Dual Shock controller and has a red stamp on the cover confirming it. This version was released before the "Greatest Hits" version. Action/Survival Horror. Released 11/01/98. #SLUS-00748/00756.

Non-U.S. Game Releases

Resident Evil 2 (Dreamcast, by Virgin) $20/R4
    Developed by Capcom. Packaging variations: -09, -82 Released 28/04/00. #T-7004D-XX.

Resident Evil 2 (Dreamcast, by Virgin) $20/R4
    Developed by Capcom. Packaging variations: -61 (English, Spanish, Italian) Released 28/04/00. #T-7004D-61.

Resident Evil 2 (GameCube, by Capcom) $0/R0
    Released 05/30/03.

Resident Evil 2 (N64, by Capcom) $0/R0
    a.k.a. Bio Hazard 2 (Japan)
    Developed by Angel St. Action/Survival Horror.

Resident Evil 2 (PlayStation, by Virgin) $0/R0
    a.k.a. BioHazard 2 (Japan)
    Developed by Capcom. A 2-CD set. German release SLES 00974. Italian release SLES 00975. The german version has a cover variant. Re-released as "Platinum" edition. PERIODICALS: Official UK Playstation Magazine rated this game 9 (out of 10) in April 1998. Released 05/29/98. #SLES 00972.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow! Great choice!

I recenlty picked this game up (the Playstation version)
    Just finished Leon's Story on Sunday!

Superb Game, but on Easy mode, a little too easy...
    Died only once at the crocodile part, found it harder than the final boss at one point!

However, i am yet to play through Claire's Misson, many differences?

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Resident Evil series is my favorite when it comes to survival horror, followed closly by Silent Hill.

Resident Evil 2 is a great pice of work, very well thought out with its two conrollable charictors and multiple paths (No multiple paths on PSX I'm affraid). Theres even a hidden sinario were you play as an umbrella soldier!

Grafix are pretty damn impressive for the PSX, less so on N64 and Dreamcast, laughable on the Cube.

Sound is still amazing on any system they were on top of there game when it came to creating creapy ambiant sounds. The only real problem as it allways has been is the voice acting.

The best version of this game is on the DC. Its the only version in 480p mode, plus theres a lot more extras then in any other system. Concept drawing, different paths, hidden wepons, and new costumes are unlockable for those who have the skill to unlock them.

The N64 version is a damn good port, it even has a couple of items that the PSX version didn't namley the Wesker files. These report give you much more detailed info on the background of game. Good stuff for anyone who cares for the story.

If you enjoyed Resident Evil 4 give RE 2 a try. Gives you more back story on the whole *Possible SPOILER* Ada and Leon thing *END Spoiler*. Or hell just play it anyways, even if you have this is a game that deserves to be played twice.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

However, i am yet to play through Claire's Misson, many differences?
    Nothing major, but you'll notice some differences.

This is my favorite in the series

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cauterize
    Died only once at the crocodile part, found it harder than the final boss at one point!
    Here's a tip- when the croc comes, run all the way to the back where you saw that red light. It should now be green, and pressing the button near it will release a gas tank. When the croc comes, he'll grab the gas tank, and you just have to shoot him once or twice in the mouth to blow him up.

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

Regarding the original PlayStation version, did anyone else's copy freeze up after Claire beat Tyrant on the scaffold? My copy AND a rental copy both froze at that point and I wasn't too pleased.

Had no idea about the croc gas tank thing.

Kristine

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my favorite out of the entire series,

As for QoF, that is odd about the freezing situation. I have never run into any problems such as that.

Btw Cauterize, Claire A's game is pretty much Leon A's story, just another "What If" scenario.

The only time RE2 rapidly changes, is when you play "Claire/Leon B"...which is the other side of the story, plus the REAL ending...which blew me out of the water when I first experienced that.

Probably one of the first games that had two sides to the story that were so accurately close together storyline wise

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Until 4 came out, this one was always my favorite.
    I go online sometimes, but ... everyone's spelling is really bad, and it's ... depressing.

--Tara from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

BEST SITE FOR IMPORTS!
    http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-pfh-71-99.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    Theres even a hidden scenario were you play as an umbrella soldier!

Sound is still amazing on any system they were on top of there game when it came to creating creapy ambiant sounds. The only real problem as it allways has been is the voice acting.

The N64 version is a damn good port, it even has a couple of items that the PSX version didn't namley the Wesker files. These report give you much more detailed info on the background of game. Good stuff for anyone who cares for the story.
    1. Don't forget about the additional hidden bonus character "Tofu"

2. The Voice acting was actually pretty amazing compared to RE1's cheesy b movie voice acting. To me it was a giant leep in video games to have some serious voice acting

3. to clear this up a little, Wesker Files is the name of it for Code Veronica....N64 calls their version "EX Files", which is a little more in depth compared to Wesker Files by a minor difference, the EX Files combines RE1-3 and Code Veronica into the story of RE2 with scattered papers everywhere (Like near Brad Vicker's dead body)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loved RE2 although I enjoyed the first game more. RE2 went a bit too far on action and not enough on adventure.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still love it to this day. IMO, it comes in at a close second to Code Veronica as far as favorites (havent played RE4 yet). It's where I honed my speed game. I think I'll slap it in tonight & give it yet another whack, for old times' sake.
    I had a lovers quarrel with the world.
    -Robert Frost

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This Link tells us that it was supposed to be a Saturn release of this game.

http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/~japanga...?system=saturn

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just recently started playing the RE games and decided to play them on my Gamecube. I started with the original RE and thought it was a pretty nice game. The GC graphics were impressive. So today I started playing RE2 and my first thought was "what happened to the graphics?". the visuals are shit compared to the original. Aren't graphics supposed to get better and not worse as the series progresses?

Am I going to be pleased or disappointed with the visuals once I get to RE3 and Zero?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

The original Resident Evil was a surprise.
    One of those moments where you realized something legendary had just happened and you loved your Playstation like never before.

So for Resident Evil 2 I was prepared. And it did not dissapoint at all. It was actually like 4 different games.
    ... maybe even 6 with unlockable stuff. The way it all tied together between the 2 discs was brilliant.

defining moment: Getting the giant alligator to eat the oxygen cannister then blowing its godamned head off.

I think my neighbors heard my profanity laden victory tirade directed at my television and wondered if I had just killed someone in my apartment.

Good choice Joe.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shvnsth
    PSN
    shvnsth
    Steam
    shvnsth

Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    I just recently started playing the RE games and decided to play them on my Gamecube. I started with the original RE and thought it was a pretty nice game. The GC graphics were impressive. So today I started playing RE2 and my first thought was "what happened to the graphics?". the visuals are shit compared to the original. Aren't graphics supposed to get better and not worse as the series progresses?

Am I going to be pleased or disappointed with the visuals once I get to RE3 and Zero?
    re for gamecube was a remake, and they remade it with gc graphics. the re2 on gamecube was just a port of a old dreamcast game that was a port of a psx game. the graphics in re3 are also shit, as that too is a port. the graphics in re0 are as good if not better than re1 for gamecube, because that game was also made for the gamecube. also, re-code veronica for gc has shit graphics, and re4 for gc has awesome graphics.

is it worth playing the game on gc if you already have it, or is better to go for the dreamcast version?
    Formerly known as "umich."

collection/buy/sell: https://tinyurl.com/shvnsth

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anybody happen to have a case and manual for the PlayStation version? I happened to find a loose copy of this game this morning at a yard sale...PM me...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

Anybody happen to have a case and manual for the PlayStation version? I happened to find a loose copy of this game this morning at a yard sale...PM me...
    Has 2 discs homie

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I got both discs, but I don't have the case or the manual yet...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A nice choice.

Especially since it is the game I seem to have the most of in my collection... Nine in all.
    Gamecube US
    DC US, PAL, JPN
    PSX original, dual shock US, Platinum PAL
    N64 US
    Game.com US

Not my favourite game in the series, but it is my favourite series. So its still golden.

Not a huge amount of differences between Claire and Leon's scenarios, though I feel Leon's is a little easier having access to the powerful shotgun as opposed to the crappy bowgun. I must admit I haven't managed to unlock Tofu yet. Mainly because of the length of the game - playing through both scenarios.

A solid gaming experience, though rookies will have a frustrating time with the controls at first. I can't even imagine how it feels on the N64 controller. That's why my copy is still sealed.
    Always looking for more SMS. And Resident Evil too.