View Poll Results: Should Konami UK seal their PS2 games?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I deserve a pristine perfect product.

27 34.62%
  • No. Makes no difference to me as I am only going to open it to play.

34 43.59%
  • Impartial as it doesn't bother me either way.

15 19.23%
  • Other. (Please let us know your thoughts)

2 2.56%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Konami - Grade *A* Bastards! (Petition against Konami UK)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Konami - Grade *A* Bastards! (Petition against Konami UK)

If you happen to have the misfortune of living in the UK and like Konami games, then you will most probaby know how difficult, nay, impossible it is to get hold of sealed Konami games (If that is what you are after...)

Apparently, Konami don't seal their games. Well, not all of them anyway.

I know for a fact that the above statemnt is false as I happen to own factory sealed copies of Suikoden I and Vandal Hearts II (PAL versions) for the PSone.

It's PAL PS2 games in particular which seems to be the problem area.

I have previously bought sealed PAL Xbox Konami games (Amongst them - MGS 2 Substance), as well as sealed NTSC PS2 Konami games (Most notably Suikoden III and Firefighter FD18) so there is no question about whether or not they seal their games, because it is fact that they do.

Many of the PS2 games I want and am missing are Konami games. As I only ever buy sealed games, this is a problem. Especially when two of them are the recently released Metal Gear Solid 3 adn Suikoden IV.

Why do they discriminate against the UK market? Are they tring to limit the resale value of certain games? (Ie, Suikoden - Based on the first two)

It is no secret that Konami are also notorious for their limited production runs - Especially in the UK. Just take many of the rarest Snes and PlayStation games and you will see that roughly 70% of the rarest games are made / published by Konami!

So, if like me you agree that they should start to seal their games, and give us what we rightfully deserve (Ie, the right to own a virgin untouched perfect product) then feel free to follow the link below to make a complaint directly to Konami themselves!

Contact Konami

If you do so, then please post below to let us know!

PS: Please don't start flaming with the likes of "Why buy sealed games?" and "Buy pre-owned" Etc. - As collectors, I am sure many of you can see my point of view and see that this is something which affects many of us - ESPECIALLY us collectors!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I'm pretty sure Konami doesn't have sealed game collectors in mind when there getting games ready to ship out.

'sall I gotta say.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Doesn't matter really.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Games are made to be played... not left sealed.
    I vote for Konami UK, keep the games coming!

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    I'm pretty sure Konami doesn't have sealed game collectors in mind when there getting games ready to ship out.

'sall I gotta say.
    Yeah, still.

Let's put it this way - You have to have a certain level of trust when you go to buy a new game from a store, but if it is sealed, it is 100% guaranteed brand new and never played.

I have already chatted to about a dozen eBay sellers trying to sell MGS 3 and Suikoden IV on eBay, and they all say the same thing - They are finding it fairly hard to shift these games - Harder than if they were sealed that is.

Most of them also tell me that they have three times as many eMails asking them if the game is actually brand new and / or sealed.

So this effects everybody, not just gamers and collectors, but also the little sellers too.

I know for a fact that so long as my Suikoden I stays sealed, it will only rise in value over the years. Basically, Suikoden IV will never do that, and will never have the chance to either, no matter how low the production run is.

I still see people on eBay trying to sell Paper Mario's as brand new - Two and a half years after it was pulled from the shop shelves! Yet I have only ever seen two officially sealed copies on eBay in the last year and a half, and I grabbed one for £75. The second sold for £128! Whereas unsealed ones only tend to do between £40 and £60.

And this is exactly why I believe Konami are deliberately trying to limit the resale value of certain games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

While I can join the club when it comes to Konami's release policies, *cough*GradiusDeluxePack*cough*Policenauts*cough*P arodiusDeluxePackPlus*coughhackwheeze* I don't see what the fuss is here. The games still have the sticky label on the top, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettCRW
    While I can join the club when it comes to Konami's release policies, *cough*GradiusDeluxePack*cough*Policenauts*cough*P arodiusDeluxePackPlus*coughhackwheeze* I don't see what the fuss is here. The games still have the sticky label on the top, right?
    PAL games we are on about here. Only teh American games have the white security label. English games don't even have that.

Hence the problem, as you will never be able to tell if a game is actually brand new, or whether the store staff have been borrowing it, or if the game has been returned under some gay 10 day return policy or anything like that...

Apple (Level 5) Lord Contaminous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We won't tolerate 85,000,000 fingerprints all over our boxes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Contaminous
    We won't tolerate 85,000,000 fingerprints all over our boxes.
    And another thing to consider is those stickers they always plaster the game boxes! And they leave horrible sticky marks when you peel them off...

That was what mainly originally got me to buy sealed games only, because I used to hate fingerprints all over the bx / manual / disc, and tI detest those stickers.

And those stickers aren't even easy to peel off either. And they insist on having stickers which take up half the front cover of the game too!!!

It is bareable having stickers on cellophane, but only just. At least with a sealed game you know it is immacculate inside!

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Konami - Grade *A* Bastards! (Petition against Konami UK

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix
    It is no secret that Konami are also notorious for their limited production runs - Especially in the UK. Just take many of the rarest Snes and PlayStation games and you will see that roughly 70% of the rarest games are made / published by Konami!
    And yet my recent thread here about the potential rarity of Pinobee, for this very reason among others, was locked after I was mocked and laughed at for even suggesting that it was possible for that game to become a rarity... Apparently, it is a secret that some people have yet to realize is a solid fact...
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it is known to not come wrapped in plastic, then I don't see what the big deal is. The game didn't come sealed, so that is how it comes if you want it in a "new" condition. If I recall correctly, until spine cards came along, most Japanese games weren't shrinked.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

I think shrinkwrapping is mostly a US phenomenon. When I worked at a record store, most of our cd and lp imports did not come sealed or shrinkwrapped. We actually had to shrink them in the store because people were complaining that they were used because they were open

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Konami - Grade *A* Bastards! (Petition against Konami UK

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix
    And yet my recent thread here about the potential rarity of Pinobee, for this very reason among others, was locked after I was mocked and laughed at for even suggesting that it was possible for that game to become a rarity... Apparently, it is a secret that some people have yet to realize is a solid fact...
    Not sure how this is relevant or applicable to this thread. Pinobee is readily available in large quantities, sealed. Blockbuster/Game Rush has these in large quantities ,new and sealed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Ha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yet the strange thing is, this phenomenon is only limited to just the UK.

Take Ephemeral Fantasia for example. American version is widely available, sealed. German eBay always seems to have one on there, sealed. (The German one, by the way, is in German only)

Yet you try and find a genuine UK version sealed... Ain't gonna happen. especially seeing as the UK version had a low production run.

Silent Hill 2, 3 & 4. MGS 2 & Substance. Various other ones too.

But the strange thing is, certain games ARE released sealed... I have seen Pro Evolution Soccer (1, 2, 3 & 4) sealed. I have also seen a Konami Yugioh game sealed as well, so it is also limited to the specific game.

Some people may like to buy Pre-owned games. Others may like to buy unsealed games, but I tend to like my games in perfect condition. In the case of MGS 3 and Suikoden IV - New they may or may not be, but at the end of the day, they are shop-soiled.

And on a side note - GameBoy games - Sit on the shelves for ages, get battered around, and yet they still expect you to buy the game after the box has been beaten and battered... No thank you. I like my GameBoy games to be wrapped up in their plastic!!! 100% perfect condition!

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

This is exactly why I think anyone who wants sealed games only is nuts.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it does'nt bother me really, as i don't live in britain and i don't have a PS2.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    This is exactly why I think anyone who wants sealed games only is nuts.
    ???

If your on a quest to buy used games, theres nothing better than getting an unsealed game... But when you get a new game, you have to be crazy to want a Sealed game? Awesome... I, and the rest of the Gaming community is certifiably insane!

Currently playing in my dreams: The Brutal Balad of Fangus Klot (Xbox) Citizen Siege (Xbox 360) Hand of Odd (Xbox 360)
    -----
    R.I.P. Oddworld Inhabitants - Long Live the Independent Developer!

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Hey if can save them a few cents on each copy which can then be turned into potentially more dev time, I could care less.

BTW, if all you collect is sealed games, what do you actually play??

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

That's not really what I ment....I ment that anyone who ONLY wants to collect sealed games is nuts for reasons such as the ones in this thread, the difficulty in proving it's sealed, etc.

But I allready think everyone here is nuts anyway. :P
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion