View Poll Results: Should Konami UK seal their PS2 games?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I deserve a pristine perfect product.

27 34.62%
  • No. Makes no difference to me as I am only going to open it to play.

34 43.59%
  • Impartial as it doesn't bother me either way.

15 19.23%
  • Other. (Please let us know your thoughts)

2 2.56%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Konami - Grade *A* Bastards! (Petition against Konami UK)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wasn't this thread crap enough the first time around?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

[quote="anagrama"]Wasn't this thread crap enough the first time around?[/quote

it was Crap x infinity.

:P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    it was Crap x infinity.

Tell me about it... the fact youre getting in a hissy fit because Konami wont bow down to the pathetic sealing methods you worship, really made me lose interest...

Also i think youre on your own here, about 99.99% dont give a damn about this matter and probably never will...

Sealed games arent for gamers, Gamers PLAY games!
    (I see sealed collectors as pure money makers... correct me if i am wrong)

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cauterize
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    it was Crap x infinity.

Tell me about it... the fact youre getting in a hissy fit because Konami wont bow down to the pathetic sealing methods you worship, really made me lose interest...

Also i think youre on your own here, about 99.99% dont give a damn about this matter and probably never will...

Sealed games arent for gamers, Gamers PLAY games!
    (I see sealed collectors as pure money makers... correct me if i am wrong)
    Especially if you're collecting current stuff.

Classic, I can understand, because a sealed NES or SNES game isn't going up in value any more than it is now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Looks like Konami have done it again, but with the PSP this time...

What do Konami have against Sony? Or rather, Konami products being sold in the UK for Sony platforms???

Every copy of Metal Gear Ac!d I see is unsealed, which is bizarre, as every single other PSP game I see has a tear strip with "PSP" written across it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

I read through the entire topic and found it quite interesting how everyone seems to have such a huge problem with collecting sealed games. From the developers standpoint, games are meant to be played. But so are comics meant to be read, action figures to be played with and stamps meant to be mailed. But that doesn't stop enthusiasts from keeping them in as pristine a condition as possible in their collections.

I just noticed some hostility towards Gemini-Phoenix and thought I shoud stand up for him a bit. One last thing, everyone check the homepage, and read the first line you see below the DP header. I think may enlighten a few.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quite odd. My PAL MGS2 - Sons of Liberty was sealed when i got it on release day. Though the dvd case didnt have a memory card holder.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Get a life, collecting sealed games is stupid in my opinion as games are mentioned to be played. Yes maybe you buy a second copy, but after it's sold out somebody else could be happy with that copy.

I really see no use in collecting sealed games and I don't think Konami gives a damn. I would sign a petition to get the old Konami-logo back as I don't like the new one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Somebody kill this thread-PLEASE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It seems like these kind of threads keep popping up so gemini phoenix can brag abut his sealed collection. Look if you want people to know about how many sealed games you have just take pics of them & put them in a room of doom gallery & just refer people there.

I find it annoying when people use the sealed games thing as a bragging tool to elevate themselves above other collectors. I have no problem with sealed games but when i buy them i just tear off the seal & play the game.

Games serve one & ONLY one purpose & thats is to be played. Only thing i care about when i buy a game is that its in new condition & fully complete i couldnt care less that someone might have touched it.

On another note you do realise that even your sealed games has been touched by at least 1 person before it was sealed. For each game there is someone in a factory putting the manuals in by hand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hostilities aside, this is a totally different type or debate. It was not intended to be yet another sealed games Vs unsealed argument, but rather a debate revolving around the questionable activities of Konami / Sony in regards to why and what do they gain from this practice.

I think there is still a certain stigmatism against people who collect sealed games in much the same way as there used to be one about gamers in general. As time has progressed, gaming has become socially acceptable, but there are still people out there who consider collecting sealed games as "Taboo" in terms of game collecting. It's like being the black sheep amongst the flock.

It's not a "Bragging tool" but a serious debate. If I wanted to brag about my stuff, i'd start a thread called "Look at my sealed stuff and weep" or something. And believe it or not, there are actually people out there who also share my same views and feelings towards this, as the poll clearly shows. Over 30%, and quite a few people have taken the poll...

I strongly believe that it is down to the potential future resale value of the games. Konami are well known for producing "some of" the very rarest games in existence on many a platform, and it doesn't take much to locate an auction on eBay which involves a stupidly priced sealed copy of Suikoden or the like...

My main concern is why? Why do they discriminate against the UK market? This is the one thing which bugs me the most, and I can't understand why other countries benefit from certain games being sealed, and the UK doesn't.

Suikoden IV for example ~ I reported above about how French copies are easially available sealed. As are American ones. Yet since it's release, I have yet to see an officially sealed UK version.

I have also noticed that Platinum versions of certain games will come sealed, whereas their black label counterparts did not. This leads me to believe that it is not a question of cost. If it were, then it would have been the other way around, with the Platinum games being unsealed to save on costs.

In fact, you'd be hard pushed to find many games out of the entire Konami PS2 catalogue which are sealed. I have a few, but I can tell you that they were exceedingly hard to obtain, and I only managed to get them through hard work trawling through auction after auction for many months.

And this whole PSP thing is taking it too far. If you search eBay for a sealed copy of Metal Gear Ac!d for instance, the only ones you will find will all be American or Japanese. Or shrinkwrapped reseals. I bet good money on it.

I will also state, in their defence, that it's not just limited to PS2 games. Certain other games across platforms also suffer, most probably due to the same reason (Future resale perhaps) ~ Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes on the Cube is one game where the PAL version is impossible to find sealed. Although, American versions are widely available sealed...

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix
    Hostilities aside,
    Hostilities aside? Do I need to point out the ridiculous title you came up with for this topic? Yes. Yes I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix's Title Of This Post
    Konami - Grade *A* Bastards! (Petition against Konami UK)
    Failing to shrinkwrap a game does not a "Grade A Bastard" make.

this is a totally different type or debate. It was not intended to be yet another sealed games Vs unsealed argument, but rather a debate revolving around the questionable activities of Konami / Sony in regards to why and what do they gain from this practice.
    They gain money and time. And since time is money, they gain moneyx2.

You don't like it, don't buy their games. And tell them you don't like it. Beyond that, you're wasting your time. (And remember what time is, folks! See above )
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gemini-Phoenix, I agree 100% and I feel your pain. I am a sealed/ mint collector and am tired of some punk kid handing me an open copy of a game at a game store when I ask for a new copy. Then I say "This is not new, it's open". Then he says "It's open BUT it's still new, it was only used as a display copy, I can knock off 5%" I CAN KNOCK HIS FUCKING HEAD OFF HIS SHOULDERS I GET SO MAD AT SOMEONE CALLING AN OPEN COPY (AKA USED) DISPLAY COPY OR WHAT EVER NEW!! IT IS NOT NEW IF IT HAS BEEN OPENED!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

"And this is exactly why I believe Konami are deliberately trying to limit the resale value of certain games."

Good news if that's true. Wish they'd all take this approach.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettCRW
    While I can join the club when it comes to Konami's release policies, *cough*GradiusDeluxePack*cough*Policenauts*cough*P arodiusDeluxePackPlus*coughhackwheeze* I don't see what the fuss is here. The games still have the sticky label on the top, right?
    PAL games we are on about here. Only the American games have the white security label. English games don't even have that.

Hence the problem, as you will never be able to tell if a game is actually brand new, or whether the store staff have been borrowing it, or if the game has been returned under some gay 10 day return policy or anything like that...
    Not Anymore. As of about 3 months ago the top seal was removed from ALL PS2 new releases. The first one I noticed was Metal Slug 4/5 but lots of the new stuff (and newer copies of some older games) are all hitting the stores W/O the top sticker. Yes they are still shrinked (and its a hard shrink unless its a big boxed game like Karaoke Revolution w/mic) but the days of PlayStation top seals are gone.... at least for now.

GameCube stuff has never been more than hard shrinked (most of the time, some are soft only) and earlier MS games didnt all even have their white seals on the games. Now it seems that most do (but alas i'm not buying anywhere near the number of games I was before) and still some are hard shrinked and others are soft, depends on the publisher.

Your garantee is that hard shrink. Its the much harder to reproduce kind of shrink since almost any store isnt going to have anything much better than soft shrink that gets
    blowdryed on.

Your other safe bet is to walk into these stores and buy them new yourself. No complaints there. Dont rely on ebayers to get your new games.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by TEXASGAMEPLAYER
    IT IS NOT NEW IF IT HAS BEEN OPENED!!!!!!
    These words should be immortalised over every game store entrance! This is a quote I live my life by, and it doesn't just stop at games, but also applies for Cd's / Dvd's and even everyday things like a new Walkman or a packet of fags, say...

I don't even bother with Amazon or Play anymore, as all they ever send me is unsealed games. I have no guarantee that these games aren't used. How can I tell? For all I know, these may have been mailed to half a dozen other people who have all returned it.

In my experience, if something is discounted to an unbelievable price, you can bet your bottom dollar that it will be in scrappy condition. GameBoy games for example. These people don't care about it's condition when they are throwing these things around the warehouse. If your order gets damaged, they don't care.

Most people also think that a small price drop is an acceptable compromise for a damaged case. I don't believe so. No matter what a game costs, I would expect it to be in A+ pristine condition. Even all those crappy £1 WWF Dreamcast games you see all the time on eBay.

Plus, one big advantage with sealed games is ~ If a store decides to plater stickers all over it, or store it in a dirty environment, you know that the actual game inside the cellophane is in perfect condition.

I have sealed games with some horrible sticker residue on them, or marks on them ~ I then think to myself "What if this had not been sealed? These marks would be on the actual game case...

As for that white stcker on the top of PS2 games ~ Surely that is illegal? I was always led to believe that it was the CoA, and guarantees the authenticity of the game. It also has a laser code on it too Etc. It is also there to prevent tampering or pirating. I can't see the sense in Sony doing away with it??? :/

The main point I am making is ~ All other companies PSP games are sealed in cellophane with the PSP tear strip. Konami games aren't. What I would like to know is: What is the reason behind this? Why do they go out of their way to break from the "Norm"?

As for buying direct from a store ~ The reason I buy on eBay is because the stores can't supply me with what I want, and to a lesser degree, at a competative price to that which I can get the same game on eBay. Why should I pay £39.99 for a game I can get for about £25 on eBay?

In fact, chances are higher that the store would have unsealed games, as many unseal them for display on shelves. Luckily, I have a few contacts who will keep certain games to on side when they get their deliveries, so for certain games I pre-order, I am guaranteed a sealed copy from the shop.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Over here most stores removes the shrinkwrap, puts the discs and manual in a drawer and put the empty boxes on the shelves. You can sometimes see a guy behind the counter sitting and removing the shrinkwrap on a mountain of games.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Windy Miller's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll raise my hand up, here & now admit that I will always look for a sealed copy of a game over an unsealed one, money permitting of course. I do this because I like to have the game in perfect condition, however, all my games are opened & played. They'll never sit on a shelf still sealed.

If it's an older game that has to be got from eBay, then I'll bide my time & wait for a sealed copy or at the very least a copy in good condition. If it's a game that I really, really want asap, then I'll get whatever's going, as long as it's complete.

When I picked up my GC on PAL launch day, all my games were sealed except for SMB, which had obviously been played before, so days later I took it back & got a sealed version.

Also when I picked up my PSP, I asked for a sealed copy of Metal Gear Ac!d, but was told that none of the copies were sealed, however I knew that my copy was brand new just by looking at it. Therefore, I was still a happy bunny.

I very rarely buy from retail stores nowadays (due to the daft prices) but when I do, I'll always insist on getting a factory sealed copy of the game. If it's an older game, I'll get the shop assistant to trawl through the stockroom until he finds one !

If you really do have to have sealed games all the time, then surely the answer is to preorder online the second the game comes out. That way it'll never be pre played.

So, overall, it is strange that one company doesn't seal their PAL games, but I'm certainly not going to get hot & bothered under the collar.

Just a further note GP. Please don't start this topic over at Games tm. I don't think the forum & it's members could stand it...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I voted game are meant to be played.

I've said before that sealed collections are the saddest collections. But I have other reasons for disliking sealed collections, the condition of my games.

Long ago my father told me to never store my albums with the shrinkwrap still on them. The plastic restricts airflow, so any moisture that gets between the shrinkwrap and the album would get trapped. I'm too paranoid to allow that to happen to my games.

BTW Gemini-Phoenix, do you have a red PS2?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default no big deal to me

I am sorry for those who collect sealed games. I play my gmaes, so it does not affect me. The only thing that I think about is buying a game without a seal, only to find that it is not new . Now that, would piss me off.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist