View Poll Results: Should Konami UK seal their PS2 games?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I deserve a pristine perfect product.

27 34.62%
  • No. Makes no difference to me as I am only going to open it to play.

34 43.59%
  • Impartial as it doesn't bother me either way.

15 19.23%
  • Other. (Please let us know your thoughts)

2 2.56%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Konami - Grade *A* Bastards! (Petition against Konami UK)

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix
    As for that white stcker on the top of PS2 games ~ Surely that is illegal? I was always led to believe that it was the CoA, and guarantees the authenticity of the game. It also has a laser code on it too Etc. It is also there to prevent tampering or pirating. I can't see the sense in Sony doing away with it??? :/
    I'm glad Sony's doing away with the security stickers. Every once in awhile I'd buy a sealed game only to find that the security sticker is covering a small strip if the inside insert, peeling it off always rips off a layer of paint. (

(Suikoden 3... minutes before my bf droped a power drill on it... actually that game was probably doomed from the start.)

I would have prefered Sony to move the security sticker to the side of the case, where Microsoft keeps them, but this works too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

"As for that white stcker on the top of PS2 games ~ Surely that is illegal?"

lol

I don't think that there are laws that govern that games have to be sealed a specific way, or at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames
    "As for that white sticker on the top of PS2 games ~ Surely that is illegal?"

lol

I don't think that there are laws that govern that games have to be sealed a specific way, or at all.
    I then went on to mention how it is technically a certificate of authentication. Perhaps maybe "Illegal" was the wrong word to use, but I know Microsoft take it very seriously if games are sold without their specific CoA's down the side of their PC / Xbox games...

In the UK all we have is a simple PlayStation hologram to prove that the game is the genuine article. This is exactly what the white sticker on the top of US games is. Without it, how do you know, how can you be 100% certain that the game you are buying is legit?

Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    I would have prefered Sony to move the security sticker to the side of the case, where Microsoft keeps them, but this works too.
    Agreed. These seals are there for a very good reason. I can't see what they gain from doing away with them. Still, a game sealed like this is at least a step in the right direction, although I do prefer my games to be sealed in their original cellophane to A) Prevent the item getting shop soiled, and B) I know it has not been tampered with in any way.

Example I: Halo II Collector's Edition (In tin case) ~ If the game has it's cellophane removed, chances are the tin can get easially scratched in storage. And who would be happy buying a game with a scratched case? At least the cellophane protects it to a certain degree.

Example II: GameBoy / N64 games et al. ~ Cardboard box's. At least if they are sealed they don't get all soiled and dog-eared.

Example III: GameCube games ~ Many come with Nintendo VIP Stars inside. If the game is sealed, you are guaranteed that they are untouched and present. If the game is sold to you "New" but unsealed, chances are someone could have removed these, along with perhaps any other paraphenalia which also accompanies the manual...

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist
    I am sorry for those who collect sealed games. I play my gmaes, so it does not affect me. The only thing that I think about is buying a game without a seal, only to find that it is not new . Now that, would piss me off.
    Whether or not you collect the games or play them, it is nice to know what you are getting is in fact new. Many game stores allow their staff to "Borrow" titles (Like renting, but free of charge as a perk of the job) - These games are then put back into mainstream to be sold to the next sucker who pays their money for it.

I always make a point of asking for a sealed copy. (Well, not now as they know me pretty damn well in my town, so won't even bother insulting me if they know they don't have a sealed copy) If they don't have one, I just go elsewhere. And this is one reason why GAME have a £14million loss over the last year...

Some people are quite happy to hand over £40 and receive an unsealed game. To me, if I am spending my hard earned cash on something (Especially at that price) I want to ensure it has not been tampered with or anything. I even make a point of standing there inspecting every inch of the game for damage (Ie, crumpled corners or dents) before handing them my cash.

Quote Originally Posted by neuropolitique
    I voted game are meant to be played.

I've said before that sealed collections are the saddest collections. But I have other reasons for disliking sealed collections, the condition of my games.

Long ago my father told me to never store my albums with the shrinkwrap still on them. The plastic restricts airflow, so any moisture that gets between the shrinkwrap and the album would get trapped. I'm too paranoid to allow that to happen to my games.

BTW Gemini-Phoenix, do you have a red PS2?
    Never heard of that. I guess it really depends on the atmosphere you keep them in. Obviously, if it's humid, then water will build up underneath, as it does on window's in the form of condensation. If you are careful about where and how you store them though, they should be Ok.

And this is one difference between cellophane and shrinkwrap (Remember, one's a polymer, the other is not) ~ Shrinkwrap (Or "Heat wrap" as it is sometimes known) does have a tendency to "Cling" to whatever it is wrapping. It will also stretch if it comes into contact with something (Ie, a sharp edge) or shrink if it comes into contact with heat, causing it to eventually tear and stretch. It also has a tendency to build up moisture underneath it.

Cellophane is different though. As it is not a polymer, it keeps it's form constantly, and does not shrink under heat. It can also withstand a higher temperature before melting (If you have ever tried burning cellophane and shrinkwrap)

And yes, I do indeed have a red PS2. Very astute!

Quote Originally Posted by Windy Miller
    I'll raise my hand up, here & now admit that I will always look for a sealed copy of a game over an unsealed one, money permitting of course. I do this because I like to have the game in perfect condition, however, all my games are opened & played. They'll never sit on a shelf still sealed.

If it's an older game that has to be got from eBay, then I'll bide my time & wait for a sealed copy or at the very least a copy in good condition. If it's a game that I really, really want asap, then I'll get whatever's going, as long as it's complete.

When I picked up my GC on PAL launch day, all my games were sealed except for SMB, which had obviously been played before, so days later I took it back & got a sealed version.

Also when I picked up my PSP, I asked for a sealed copy of Metal Gear Ac!d, but was told that none of the copies were sealed, however I knew that my copy was brand new just by looking at it. Therefore, I was still a happy bunny.

I very rarely buy from retail stores nowadays (due to the daft prices) but when I do, I'll always insist on getting a factory sealed copy of the game. If it's an older game, I'll get the shop assistant to trawl through the stockroom until he finds one !

If you really do have to have sealed games all the time, then surely the answer is to preorder online the second the game comes out. That way it'll never be pre played.

So, overall, it is strange that one company doesn't seal their PAL games, but I'm certainly not going to get hot & bothered under the collar.

Just a further note GP. Please don't start this topic over at Games tm. I don't think the forum & it's members could stand it...
    So, seems you do understand the way I think after all! :wink:

Just the difference is, I have no time to play mine, so they stay in that condition until I am finally ready to play them. It's quite an accident that much of my collection is sealed still, with only my DC and N-Gage collections intentionally staying like that for a reason. The rest is just like that due to no time to play.

And I promise not to start this over there. Besides, I don't know how i'd cope getting around the "Don't talk about sealed games" ban...! Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by KJN
    Over here most stores removes the shrinkwrap, puts the discs and manual in a drawer and put the empty boxes on the shelves. You can sometimes see a guy behind the counter sitting and removing the shrinkwrap on a mountain of games.
    Ditto. Same goes on over here for "Security reasons". Means your manual is certain to get creased and have fingerprints over, and the disc will have been fondled and possibly played. It is then also impossible to tell whether or not it has been sold, played, and brought back and resold.

HMV have since learnt that too many people are saying "If it's not sealed, it's not new", so they have been trying their best to make sure that more and more stuff is sold this way. In the last year, my HMV has quadrupled the amout of sealed items they sell (Mainly Dvd's and games)

And has anyone else noticed that Cd companies are also following suit, and sealing their products now? So it's not just me, it is a ever-growing phenomenon, and something these companies are getting wise to...

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorman0
    I read through the entire topic and found it quite interesting how everyone seems to have such a huge problem with collecting sealed games. From the developers standpoint, games are meant to be played. But so are comics meant to be read, action figures to be played with and stamps meant to be mailed. But that doesn't stop enthusiasts from keeping them in as pristine a condition as possible in their collections.

I just noticed some hostility towards Gemini-Phoenix and thought I shoud stand up for him a bit. One last thing, everyone check the homepage, and read the first line you see below the DP header. I think may enlighten a few.
    Thank you very very much. Never have I read truer words on this subject. Yet no one mocks a collector of MOC vintage Star Wars figures (And I know there is at least one serious collector here, who is a senior member of DP)

And for those of you too lazy to go to the front page and read, here is what Vectorman0 is referring to. It says:

Video Game Collectors and "Retrogamers" UNITE!

These are Joe's words. These words say it all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT
    Think about it for a sec...

How does shrink wrapping their games benefit KONAMI?

Sure, it benefits ebay sellers, because they can make a profit if a game becomes rare. Why should Konami pay the manufacturers a few extra cents per game (times a few hundred thousand or a million...) so that somebody else can make a profit?
    Well, I think that shrinkwrapping helps a lot security-wise. If a game was released unshrinkwrapped wouldn't it be too easy for copies to be stolen or even fall out of its case by accident if it were dropped?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Windy Miller's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by "Gemini-Phoenix

So, seems you do understand the way I think after all! :wink:
    Don't be getting too cozy my man !

I'm actually the same when I buy a magazine, book or even a newspaper. I'm sure the staff at my local WHSmith wonder what the heck I'm doing picking up every magazine & scrutinizing it for 30 mins before making my choice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT
    Think about it for a sec...

How does shrink wrapping their games benefit KONAMI?

Sure, it benefits ebay sellers, because they can make a profit if a game becomes rare. Why should Konami pay the manufacturers a few extra cents per game (times a few hundred thousand or a million...) so that somebody else can make a profit?
    Well, I think that shrinkwrapping helps a lot security-wise. If a game was released unshrinkwrapped wouldn't it be too easy for copies to be stolen or even fall out of its case by accident if it were dropped?
    It does help security wise. Ie, it is less common that another game will end up in the wrong box, or instruction manuals will go missing. I know my local GameStation has trouble keeping track of all their pre-owned games they keep in the drawer, and can hardly ever find the one they need.

Plus, some shops that sell pre-owned games do have a habit of mixing up a Platinum disc inside a black label box, and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Windy Miller
    Don't be getting too cozy my man !

I'm actually the same when I buy a magazine, book or even a newspaper. I'm sure the staff at my local WHSmith wonder what the heck I'm doing picking up every magazine & scrutinizing it for 30 mins before making my choice.
    Welcome to my world dude! Welcome to my world!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

You know what's funny? Somehow, before I even clicked to open this topic, I knew this was going to be about sealed games. Gemini-Phoenix is getting as predictable with talking about sealed games as that one guy is with talking about RGB and his TV set-up. Then again, when you can't play the majority of your collection, I guess you don't have much to do besides stare at it on a shelf and annoy other people about constantly about how all your games are sealed or about buying more sealed games.

Honestly, you sound like a germophobe to me. It's fine that some people like to collect sealed games, even if I think it's kind of dumb, but your reasons, where you go into detail about people possibly touching your games, sound neurotic. Are you the type who can't ever share anything with anyone?

Anyway, it's idiotic to suggest Konami are being bastards or discriminating against anyone because they don't seal some games. You should feel fortunate that the UK is even getting those games. There are a ton of great games that Konami has left it Japan, and I, for one, appreciate it when they bring good games over, even if they do decide to not seal them in plastic. Heck, the UK has gotten many great Konami games that the US hasn't, like most of the TwinBee series.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B
    You know what's funny? Somehow, before I even clicked to open this topic, I knew this was going to be about sealed games. Gemini-Phoenix is getting as predictable with talking about sealed games as that one guy is with talking about RGB and his TV set-up.
    Now that you mention it he even does the too much space/too many paragraphs thing that Anthony1 does.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

"Ditto. Same goes on over here for "Security reasons". Means your manual is certain to get creased and have fingerprints over, and the disc will have been fondled and possibly played. It is then also impossible to tell whether or not it has been sold, played, and brought back and resold."

We're not Howard Hughes. They're not there folding your manual up to put creases in it, they just put it in the case. And who cares if the disc has been touched, if it's clean, undamaged, and works, that's all the matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the only games I keep sealed are the GBA version, as I have other methods of playing 'em. Otherwise I unwrap the games to play them. So I say that doesn't affect me at all.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"I think there is still a certain stigmatism"