Thread: Sleeper of the Week: Ninja Five-O (GBA)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sleeper of the Week: Ninja Five-O (GBA)

Well, in keeping with looking at recent sleepers, here’s one that a lot of people missed for the Game Boy Advance. The GBA is the only platform that classic 2D games are really being produced for and as it turns out, just because of the platform they’re on people are ignoring them. One of the better neo-classics to fall by the wayside is Ninja Five-O for the GBA. Made by Konami, Ninja Five-O sports some of the ugliest cover art seen in recent years this side of Shenmue 2 for Xbox, and a huge smattering of cliché quotes on the back. However, beneath the deceptively pathetic exterior lies the pulsing heart of a true gamer’s game.

The game is only six stages long, but the missions are challenging and broken up into 20 segments. The game autosaves after each segment and trust me when I say you’ll appreciate it! You play Joe Osugi, a ninja who decided his skills could be better put to use as a detective. I’d mention more of the plot, but there isn’t much to be told, and most of it is more pathetic than that. What does matter is the gameplay. Expect one of the most difficult platformers you’ve played in a good long while from Ninja Five-O. Hard only barely scratches the surface of how challenging this game is.

The controls are very accurate, which is good as extreme accuracy is required to make progress in the game. Enemies are fast and cheap, and you’ll end up losing a good many lives perfecting your skills. In addition to standard ninja shurikens and a sword (which you can only use very close in, Joe has magic ninja techniques and a spiffy Bionic Commando-style grappling hook. You’ll need to master the use of this grappling hook or you don’t have a chance in hell of making significant progress. Basically the game is a combination of Rolling Thunder and Bionic Commando, taking the best from each to make a great game. In addition to fighting, you must rescue hostages to foil the evil terrorists. I’m still not sure quite why the terrorists employ so many ninjas, but I felt it was better not to ask.

Ultimately, what we have is a very difficult platformer. Infinite lives aren’t so cheap in this game, as you’ll need them to make any progress. This is one of those rare games that likes to give you a low blow to the groin and then makes you want to come back for more. You’ll be frustrated. You’ll jump up and down. You may throw things in anger. But then, you’ll come back and play. I guarantee it. It’s that addictive. Konami made quite an old school gem with Ninja Five-O. The difficulty is a bit unbalanced, the story is a bit thin, and even the music gets a bit stale after a while. But down beneath that, you have the heart of classic gaming. The same feel that we all got playing all those hard as nails NES and SNES classics in a convenient portable package. This is one game that’s more than worth picking up.

Unfortunately, Ninja Five-O seems to have had an extremely low print run. I personally had trouble finding a copy when I bought mine last year. It didn’t sell well, and many stores didn’t stock it. If they did, they usually only had one copy or so. You’ll be hard-pressed to find this one without a bit of digging, and when you do, don’t be afraid to pay a good $25-30 for it, even used. If you like action platformers and don’t mind a bit of a challenge, then this is absolutely the game for you. Don’t miss out!

scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Ah Ninja Five-O...one of those games "I'd buy if I could ever find the damn thing."

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I managed to score a copy awhile ago. Definitely my favorite GBA game. Of course, I love Shinobi, so this game was a natural buy for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why the hell was the print run so damn low?

It is a great game, a must own for Bionic Commando fans.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really like your sleeper threads, I never played that game but if I find one I'll check it out.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Glad you're enjoying em I hope everyone is finding at least one or two games they've never played before! This one surprised me when I( got it...was WAY better than I anticipated.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This game brought back memories of the great Shinobi when it came out on the genesis. I'm not saying they are the same type of game, but the great gameplay and cool levels, combined with the ninja magic and the saving of hostages just felt like the good ol days to me. Throw awesome controls and neat graphics and you have a solid title all around. This game rocks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Great sleeper hit indeed every body should try it.

That's if you can find a copy and i agree it's a shame, Konami gave it such a low 'print run.

I originaly got my copy from (amazon.com) last year for $30.00 i think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

I liked this game BEFORE Nate said it was cool! Heh...

I heard elsewhere that Ninja Five-O was a nice blend of Shinobi and Bionic Commando, so I just had to check it out. Turns out that it became one of my favorite GBA titles. I went so far as to beat it on Hard difficulty. That was a very satisfying win indeed. My favorite thing about this game are the grappling hook physics, which are mind-boggling, but pretty damn awesome and essential to mastering this game. I'm really glad I own this one, I am.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I checked this game out when it was originally released. Excellent title.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

These sleeper threads are some of the best. Here is another game I'm going to have to try.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this is another one of those games that i put off buying for too long and now i dont want to pay what it is going for.

thanks for your review though, it might push me to shell out the cash.
    Eyes - Pete and Pete, Bullet Ballet
    Ears - Exploding Hearts , Tattle Tales
    Hands - Neutopia II, NBA Live 05

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice pick. I love this game.
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You have awesome taste in obscure games, maxlords! This game rocks! It really gives me a shinobi vibe whenever I'm playing it. Though personally, I found the grappling hook tough to control...though it's probably just me. I'm really glad I managed to track this one down while I could!
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

god i hate myself and my spending habits, i remember seeing it at fry's for around 10 bucks, and thinking "heh, looks lame".