Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you know how much to spend? (Saturn)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How do you know how much to spend? (Saturn)

I'm really interested in importing some Saturn games. Theres a few I'm watching on ebay right now, but how does one actually know if they are getting a good deal or possibly spending too much? The guide here doesn't help as there are no prices listed.

Also, is there some source to find out info on certain games, or do I just need to post a title everytime and get opinions? I'd really like to point out the games specifically, but I don't need you guys stealing my auctions Any general help out there?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

searh ended eBay auction for the same title an also check out other online vendors... of course asking on various forum would help too...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Tell us what games you're looking for, some of us are familiar with that they go for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice
    Tell us what games you're looking for, some of us are familiar with that they go for.
    Ok, I guess I can do that...I still have a feeling someone from here will end up sniping my future auctions.

At the moment the titles I really want are the following:

Vampire Savior (without RAM cart)
    Marvel vs Street Fighter (ditto)
    Elevator Action Returns (can't find this anywhere)
    Bulk Slash (I heard it was good)

Other than that theres just stuff I need actually gameplay info on (and price of course)...I suppose I can just ask every time I find something. At the moment there were a few I saw that looked interesting, though all I could see was a bad picture of the back of the case. They are:

Strikers 1945 (1 and 2)
    Donpachi
    Keioh Yugekita Flying Squadron

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Vampire Savior (without RAM cart) $15
    Marvel vs Street Fighter (ditto) not sure
    Elevator Action Returns (can't find this anywhere) $55 +
    Bulk Slash (I heard it was good) $$$ not sure

Strikers 1945 (1 and 2) $40 - $45
    Donpachi $35 - $45
    Keioh Yugekita Flying Squadron $35 - $45

Been a while since I looked, but these sound right to me.
    What have you done America?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Funk Buddy
    Vampire Savior (without RAM cart) $15
    Marvel vs Street Fighter (ditto) not sure
    Elevator Action Returns (can't find this anywhere) $55 +
    Bulk Slash (I heard it was good) $$$ not sure

Strikers 1945 (1 and 2) $40 - $45
    Donpachi $35 - $45
    Keioh Yugekita Flying Squadron $35 - $45

Been a while since I looked, but these sound right to me.

Marvel vs Street Fighter (ditto) $35 mark for non mint copy
    Elevator Action Returns (can't find this anywhere) more like $65+
    Bulk Slash (I heard it was good) $70-85

these are really rough estimation and depends on the bidding war the end price could be much higher...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. Does anyone know what the gameplay is like on these two though:

Donpachi

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drexel923
    Thanks for the info guys. Does anyone know what the gameplay is like on these two though:

Donpachi
    Donpachi is little bro of Dodonpachi yet still insane shooter... if you can find one cheap definitely worth to check out...

Keioh... is unlike MD part shooter and platform if I'm not mistaken... been a while since played mine so can't really comment on this one other than it's one of those Saturn imports always on high side on both eBay and YJ...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The prices posted above seem pretty much on the mark to me.

I actually like the first Don Pachi a little better than the sequel. I'm talking the arcade versions here. I do have DoDonPachi for the Saturn...the gameplay is a little bit off from the arcade, but it's still good, I imagine DP is about the same.

If you've got a serious jones for MSH vs. SF, I suppose I could part with mine (I like X-Men vs SF better anyway). We can work something out at the next game night if you can't get one by then.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Be prepared for a fight on Elevator Action, if you ever find one. Nobody else can find that game either, so if it ever turns up, expect to pay alot for it. Especially on ebay, but really just about anywhere, unless you're incredibly lucky. I'd say probably at least $75 for it. Bulk Slash isn't that hard to find, and definitely not triple digits. It will probably be in the $75 range too. It's supposed to be rare, but it comes up pretty often. Much more often than Elevator Action. I'd expect to pay triple digits for a really mint Elevator Action.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I got EA few years back for around $45 off eBay.. even then it wasn't easy to find as very rarely it's listed on eBay...
    sadly anyone who got into Saturn last year or two are screwed with inflated price on a lot of once mid to low priced titles...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know how you guys afford this stuff.

I just got sniped on Strikers 1945 II and boy am I pissed. I had it coming with a sort of low bid, but I can't see myself spending all this money. Do these games still sell at a high price in Japan? I mean considering their age, you'd think they would be cheap (not the rare ones of course). Are the prices just high because their imports?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

shooters are expensive even in Japan.
    many of them hit close to and sometime over 10000 yen mark - that's like $100.

I've been collecting Saturn since it was released way back although had few years of break in late 90s...

patience my friend is the key. With patience and perseverance you will find the title you are after at decent price eventually... (may takes few years though)

cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hello there fellow Saturn fan. Here are some rough estimates.

Vampire Savior (without the ram cart)
    $15-$20

Marvel vs Street Fighter (ditto)
    $25-$35 (price for this game has dropped since 2K1, back then it was 45-50)

Elevator Action Returns (can't find this anywhere)
    Hmmm, 55+ is a very safe bet. I got this waaay back in mid-late 2003 for 45 shipped. It's always been a pretty hard to find game. Has it really sky rocketed to 75+ these days? Geez. It's very good but I'd pay no more than 50 for it...

Bulk Slash (I heard it was good)
    $30-$45
    Yamatoku the eBay japanese seller auctions these off with a bidding starting at $26 a lot of the times, I've seen. 75+??? Wow, I'd like to see proof on that....

Strikers 1945 (1 and 2)
    1 is $20-$35 (got mine for 25 even, patience)
    2 is $40-$50 (got mine for 38 even, ditto)

Donpachi
    $20-$35 (got mine for 20 even, patience is the key)
    Keioh Yugekita Flying Squadron $30-$40

Good luck! Like DJ said, patience and perseverence goes a long way! Although it may take years it's worth saving the odd $10 here and there IMHO. In the end, it adds up!

Also, being at the right place at the right time. Timing is everything in this world... and video game acquiring is no different... for example because I was at the right place at the right time I managed to buy Radiant Silvergun for $65 and Taromaru for $80. Those are once-in-a-lifetime deals IMHO..

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

HEHE! You could have it worse! You could be like me, and only be willing to buy factory sealed games! That increases what you have to pay for them even more, and decreases your chances of ever finding what you want. But I must say I'm amazed at how much you can still get in that condition, if you look hard enough, and you're patient enough, and most importantly, if you can afford it. So if you're willing to buy used games, it should be far easier to find anything that you want, and get a good deal on it. I'm even getting pretty good at finding great deals on factory sealed games, but of course I don't wanna reveal any of my sources, if I can avoid it! I've stumbled upon a few old treasure troves that I'm not finished looting & plundering myself yet! So let's just say that there's tons of other places to buy old imports besides on ebay, and search engines are your best friends for shopping for around!

P.S.: My estimates for the prices on those games were based on what I'd expect to pay for a factory sealed copy or a really mint complete copy, so you probably can get them for a bit cheaper than what I think. I always tend to forget that most people can get stuff alot cheaper by getting it used and in less than perfect condition. But I still would expect to have to pay alot for Elevator Action in any condition now. Everybody seems to be looking for it, including myself, but I doubt that I'll ever find a sealed one. And even if I do, chances are that I won't have nearly enough money to buy it at the time. It seems to be trying to become a grail lately. I don't know how rare it is, but from what I understand it's certainly far from common, and always in demand.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

Quote Originally Posted by Drexel923

Keio is actually an AWESOME platformer, it is not really like the SEGA/MEGA CD game. More of a spinoff of a cult-popular japanese character. Closest to Hermie Hopperhead or Yoshi's Island without the eggs. Great game readily available at most places for $30ish.

I hope this little kick you're on brings you into importing more. What the hell am I saying? GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL HAVE A BANK ACCOUNT BALANCE! Very addictive once you take the bait, but lots of games (ecspecially on Super Famicom, Saturn, & PC Engine) that are easily found cheap that we never got!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I just picked up Bulk Slash and Vampire Savior off Ebay not too long ago. May have been from Yamatoku but I don't really buy from him too much. More likely from Palet. I always keep a record of what I paid for each game, but it always includes the shipping costs because I figure that's what I REALLY paid for them. My notes say I paid $35.00 for Bulk Slash and $33.49 for Vampire Savior with Ram cart. So those would be shipped prices.
    You may want to take a look over at J2 games now too. I was buying a few US Saturn games there and noticed he's started selling imports too. Saw Metal Slug for $24.95 and threw it in my cart. I remember seeing Vampire Savior and alot of KOF's there. He's in the states so the shipping should be a bit cheaper and certainly a lot faster. Plus, he's a hell of a nice guy and very straight forward and honest about the conditions of what he's selling. I was pretty happy to see that he's carrying some imports because I've bought from him several times now and have always been happy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whoops...forgot to post again in here...

Well I got my first game in the mail the other day.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

I think I did ok considering it has the spine card as well. Now if only I could play the game (see "Damn you Action Replay" thread).

I think my biggest problem is when I go one these kicks, I like to pick up a bunch of titles right away (while also not spending too much)...and that just doesn't really happen well with imports. I just have to realize that it's going to be a slow process.

@DrWily: Thanks for the info on the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

$15 is a steal for an excellent game like that! You should enjoy it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DrWily008
    $15 is a steal for an excellent game like that! You should enjoy it!
    Well it's closer to $20 after shipping, but I'm still happy with it regardless.