Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Collecting the RIGHT way! (split from TG16 complete topic)

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Default Collecting the RIGHT way! (split from TG16 complete topic)

like many have mentioned, no its not complete, many dont care though, but it still doesnt make em complete, so if youre the bragging type, you can never call your collection complete, since its not.

its like collecting nes games but only with the black sleeve and manual.

personally im a type of person who only gets complete, it may take longer, but its a true accomplishment. i mean these items will stay with you forever (or at least for a very long time), might as well do it right.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta!
    i mean these items will stay with you forever (or at least for a very long time), might as well do it right.
    If "doing it right" means having an excess of over-valued cardboard boxes for a bunch of games that I really just want to play, then I'll gladly do it wrong
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by ClubNinja
    i mean these items will stay with you forever (or at least for a very long time), might as well do it right.
    If "doing it right" means having an excess of over-valued cardboard boxes for a bunch of games that I really just want to play, then I'll gladly do it wrong
    traditionally, doing it right, when it comes to collecting, whether its games, stamps, comics etc, is having them mint and complete. with comics its all the pages (buying tg16 games without box is almost like buying the comic with all ads ripped out, cause you just want the content), with stamps is having them connected with the block or certificate (if one applies) and with games its everything that originally came with it.

if youre just buying games that you like regardless of condition/status, well then youre just amassing games you like, nothing wrong with that, god bless you, you refer to it as 'your' collection, doesnt make it worth nothing (but significantly less). but thats not what classic collecting is. id prefer it if people bought all the old, dirty, loose, uncomplete copies, cause it makes it easier for me getting the good stuff.

game on. =]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was wondering how long it would take for that picture to come out

And @ Poofta: If I could get rare comics that had all the content but the ads were removed....I would. I don't care, as long as I GET the content. The collectibility is a bonus that I actively care for, but isn't as important as getting the item and utilizing it. That's why I collect things. In fact, all my collections (video games, books, comics, DVDs, CDs) are all things that I use, not things I just look at. I don't see the point of owning things that I just look at in great quantities. I have artwork, sure, like anyone, but it's not something I'd collect tons of because it serves no purpose other than to look at. And yes....I know that DVDs are technically something you only look at, but you know what I mean.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords
    I was wondering how long it would take for that picture to come out

And @ Poofta: If I could get rare comics that had all the content but the ads were removed....I would. I don't care, as long as I GET the content. The collectibility is a bonus that I actively care for, but isn't as important as getting the item and utilizing it. That's why I collect things. In fact, all my collections (video games, books, comics, DVDs, CDs) are all things that I use, not things I just look at. I don't see the point of owning things that I just look at in great quantities. I have artwork, sure, like anyone, but it's not something I'd collect tons of because it serves no purpose other than to look at. And yes....I know that DVDs are technically something you only look at, but you know what I mean.

why buy games for old systems at all them? you could just get a back up device and play the roms. its the exact same thing, original hardware and all, and it doesnt matter that its pirating since the systems are long dead anyway. technically you could do that for dvds as well. and you can download pdf of the comics. why bother buying anything at all if you only want the content?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

why buy games for old systems at all them? you could just get a back up device and play the roms. its the exact same thing, original hardware and all, and it doesnt matter that its pirating since the systems are long dead anyway. technically you could do that for dvds as well. and you can download pdf of the comics. why bother buying anything at all if you only want the content?

Well, because I like playing them on theoriginal hardware. And I like the artwork and neat details you get in manuals and stuff...and the tactile sense of actually HAVING the games.

I didn't say anything of pirating....don't know where that's coming from. However, I rarely pirate anything. The occasional movie, but if I like it, I buy the original later.

I don't pirate DVDs because

1. I don't have that kind of bandwidth...can't afford it.

2. I don't have a DVD-ROM burner

3. I like having insterts and original artwork, not laser printed and hand stamped crap.

And you CANNOT get the .pdfs of the comics I read. Trust me on this...they don't exist. Maybe of boring shit comics like Spawn or something...but not REAL comics.

As for pirating games:

1. Pirate hardware is less reliable

2. I already HAVE all the originals

3. It's easier to find original stuff for me than ROMs

4. It's not a collection if all you have is ROMs (or PDFs or burns for that matter).

Your arguments just don't hold water with me man. They're ill-considered. Obviously you don't like people disagreeing with you. What a collector is is this:

Someone who collects things.

Simple as that. I collect video games. And comics. And DVDs. And novels. Etc etc. The way I collect is up to me. Are those TG16 games complete without the other boxes? Technically no. Does it matter in the grand scheme of things? Not to me. Does it matter to you? Maybe. All the better. We're all here for our mutual love of games....and our differences in preference as well as our shared likes are what make us part of this gaming community
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

why bother buying anything at all if you only want the content?
    Do you read these things after typing them?

If I want to play Sidearms on my TG16, then I'm going to want to hook that TG16 up to a TV and plug a real Sidearms cart into it. Sure, I want the content, but I also want the "genuine, intangible experience" that you don't get with ROMs or backup crap. Do I need a cardboard box to replicate this experience? Hell no. Does this mean I'm a game "amasser" and not a "collector"? Hell no.

Define a collection in whatever way you want, but my pile of loose HuCards is just as much a collection as your shelf of boxed HuCards - they're just different *kinds* of collections. Obviously, one should collect whatever they want in whatever state they want it. It certainly doesn't make you "more of a collector" than me or anyone else because your games have boxes.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by ClubNinja
    why bother buying anything at all if you only want the content?
    Do you read these things after typing them?

If I want to play Sidearms on my TG16, then I'm going to want to hook that TG16 up to a TV and plug a real Sidearms cart into it. Sure, I want the content, but I also want the "genuine, intangible experience" that you don't get with ROMs or backup crap. Do I need a cardboard box to replicate this experience? Hell no. Does this mean I'm a game "amasser" and not a "collector"? Hell no.

Define a collection in whatever way you want, but my pile of loose HuCards is just as much a collection as your shelf of boxed HuCards - they're just different *kinds* of collections. Obviously, one should collect whatever they want in whatever state they want it. It certainly doesn't make you "more of a collector" than me or anyone else because your games have boxes.
    also in reply to maxlord:

of course i read it, what are you talking about? you can get the content without buying the game. you can buy the tg16, connect it to your pc, dump the rom on your backup card, and play it. its as tangible as buyign the card of the game instead of the empty card (i dont condone this, but its the same experience, and much cheaper).

backup carts are every bit as reliable as their original counterparts, even more so since you can edit the roms. and according to clubninja, itll be a DIFFERENT KIND of a collection of the same thing. and since according to maxlord a collector is someone who collects things, well then you can still be a collector while collecting the roms.

a rom collection is a collection of the games. if you want the games themselves and care not for the boxes etc, then its the rom you want. if you care so much about having all the nice colorful inserts then you want the COMPLETE game, box and all, which is my ORIGINAL point.

argue it all you want, you talked yourself into a corner, just say you cant afford the boxes and get it over with. saying that all you care about is the content leads me to recommend not buying the game at all.

just arguing my point. i dont pirate anything. i buy all my games in my collection, complete and mint, like the day they rolled off the factory.
    my general point is that cart only collections are equivalent to having a dvd filled with roms for the system, and dumping them on an empty backup cart to play them in their original form on their original hardware.

im not out to make enemies, just my argument and opinion. we all like and collect different things, so lets just revel in our libraries happily and agree to love games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

You're not going to change anyone's mind, and you're not going to get anywhere at a video game collecting forum by suggesting that everyone that buys anything but complete mint perfect games should give up and pirate ROMs instead.

Not everyone is in the hobby just to sit and stare at their collection and go "Wow look at how much money this is worth". Some of us actually enjoy playing video games. And if you're not out to make enemies, might I suggest trying to let people enjoy their personal preference instead of trying to convince them that their opinion is wrong. x_x

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

BTW, for comic book freaks who might not have the money to buy mint Silver Age comics (or who want a copy that they can read without being afraid of damaging the originals), there are alternatives like TPB (the Essential [insert series name] collection by Marvel is one such possibility) and legal CD-ROM of reprints, such as The Comic Book Library. Even though neither are the original prints (nor a fac-simile reprint), they're nice, affordable and LEGAL alternatives. (of course, it's another story if you're into indie comics, but then again, where they're concerned, you wanna do anything and everything to support them).

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Yashiro
    You're not going to change anyone's mind, and you're not going to get anywhere at a video game collecting forum by suggesting that everyone that buys anything but complete mint perfect games should give up and pirate ROMs instead.

Not everyone is in the hobby just to sit and stare at their collection and go "Wow look at how much money this is worth". Some of us actually enjoy playing video games. And if you're not out to make enemies, might I suggest trying to let people enjoy their personal preference instead of trying to convince them that their opinion is wrong. x_x
    im not trying to convince anyone, just gave MY opinion, since thats what everyone else did, cant i say my own?

and the last paragraph i wrote said exactly what you did, i said people should just enjoy what they have.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye
    BTW, for comic book freaks who might not have the money to buy mint Silver Age comics (or who want a copy that they can read without being afraid of damaging the originals), there are alternatives like TPB (the Essential [insert series name] collection by Marvel is one such possibility) and legal CD-ROM of reprints, such as The Comic Book Library. Even though neither are the original prints (nor a fac-simile reprint), they're nice, affordable and LEGAL alternatives. (of course, it's another story if you're into indie comics, but then again, where they're concerned, you wanna do anything and everything to support them).

thats pretty awesome, i think im gonna go pick all of them up .... like right now.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

argue it all you want, you talked yourself into a corner, just say you cant afford the boxes and get it over with. saying that all you care about is the content leads me to recommend not buying the game at all.
    I collect arcade stuff, so game boxes (in this case) are like pocket change in comparison. It has nothing to do with being able to afford anything or not, it's just that I personally don't *need* the things. That, in no way, means that you're some sort of superior collector being because you *do* need them. Like you said, everyone collects different things; however, while there are these differences, no particular way of collecting is more valid than another. That's all I'm trying to say. You collect TG16 boxes. I don't. We both have valid collections of TG16 games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

This just seems like the right place to post this....I HATE SEALED GAMES!! Flame on! But I do know that many collector/players here will agree, what is more unsatisfying than have a potentially great game just sealed up? The only way I'll buy a sealed game is if I own an open copy to play or if I have played it and thought it was terrible. It's not that I absolutely dont understand the appeal it's just that I would never pay some of these prices that people are playing for sealed games.
    It's driving up prices and helping to let people like "Bullseye Video Games" make ridiculous prices on even opened games. Because people see that GAME X went for PRICE X sealed then the regular game (complete or not) is OBVIOUSLY WORTH $100's.
    Stop being ridiculous for sealed games and help keep the people who are out for just pure profit away from our hobby! Soon we will be seeing more and more fakes (fake shrinkwrap looking more professional) and more "printed last week" manuals & boxes for 20 year old games.
    Just my point of veiw and if people have different opinions and I don't argue back it's not because I think your right, it's because I KNOW I am.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by DrWily008
    This just seems like the right place to post this....I HATE SEALED GAMES!! Flame on! But I do know that many collector/players here will agree, what is more unsatisfying than have a potentially great game just sealed up? The only way I'll buy a sealed game is if I own an open copy to play or if I have played it and thought it was terrible. It's not that I absolutely dont understand the appeal it's just that I would never pay some of these prices that people are playing for sealed games.
    It's driving up prices and helping to let people like "Bullseye Video Games" make ridiculous prices on even opened games. Because people see that GAME X went for PRICE X sealed then the regular game (complete or not) is OBVIOUSLY WORTH $100's.
    Stop being ridiculous for sealed games and help keep the people who are out for just pure profit away from our hobby! Soon we will be seeing more and more fakes (fake shrinkwrap looking more professional) and more "printed last week" manuals & boxes for 20 year old games.
    Just my point of veiw and if people have different opinions and I don't argue back it's not because I think your right, it's because I KNOW I am.

i hear you, i hate not being able to read the manual and play the game. then put it all back together and put it on the shelf.

but i know if i had enought money id collect sealed games and buy disk only equivalents (or roms if available) for the gameplay.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the overall premise of why people collect things (mainly games in all of our cases) because we highly enjoy some aspect that we derive from the them. Personally, I really don't care at all if a game comes complete with instructions, warranty cards, cases, inserts, stickers, all encased with uber-precious plastic shrinkwrap. The simple fact is that NONE of that stuff is what makes me intersted in a game, what does make me interested however is: (surprisingly) THE GAME itself. Why would I want to pay for one complete game that interests me, when I could purchase 5 or more games that interest me for the same price. Sure, if I get a good deal on a complete game I'll take it over the loose one, but I'm not going to turn down a loose copy of a game that I want to play simply because it doesn't come with a box. That's just plain crazy. It's fine that you want to get a complete TG16 librabry, but to insinuate that for those of us who do not want the same thing, that we should go rip off the gamnig industry and our gaming community by just emulating everything. A person with some REAL enthusiasm and understanding for this hobby would completely understand why we wouldn't want to emulate our favorite games. So while you stare at your boxes upon boxes of games debating the best way to open them without miffing up the corners, we'll be GAMING ON.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by shoes23
    So while you stare at your boxes upon boxes of games debating the best way to open them without miffing up the corners, we'll be GAMING ON.

Yeah. thats exactly what i do. I sit there and STARE and my shelf. You hit the nail on the head there. Its the object of my affection, sitting there.... looking at the boxes. Yeah.

x_x

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thread is starting to sound like a neo geo drama thread. Just to help senior Poofta out. I collect only complete and Near Mint to Mint games PERSONALLY. I think the major variable here is collector preference. Anyone can collect practically anything.

It's your personal preference if you would like to have the game complete or loose, have the comic in CGC 9.6-9.8 only condition or collecting only NON CGCed books. Whatever the case maybe, people collect in their own way. And that frame of reference is going to be how they view collecting no matter what.
    There Can Be Only One!
    ---AWESOME TRADERS---
    maxlords, vintagegamecrazy, [-Sentinel-], Rugal, vision89, stargate, gamergary, Nick, Zmweasel

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have one guy that has a "loose" copy of a game and another that has a "boxed complete" copy, is the gamer with the loose copy getting less of an experience than the completist? Not necessarily.

Everyone is wired differently, some people just don't want to spend the time and money to hunt down things they don't need. Some people might like the boxed complete look better and enjoy "the hunt" of finding it all. Granted, a boxed complete collection is far more impressive, but you shouldn't live your life buying things you don't need to impress people.

I'm just kind of rambling here. I guess my point is buy what you want, but don't look down on others for doing what's right for them.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a major completist. I am always picky about having everything the game came with but I do have my limitations. Maps and manuals or charts or what not are a necessity for me, but advertisements or registration cards I don't give a crap about. And if it's anything in the atari era, I only collect cart. I still have lots of complete games for the various systems but never go out of my way to only get a complete game.