Thread: Zaxxon Motherbase 2000

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

Default Zaxxon Motherbase 2000

Has anyone beaten this game? I don't remember what level I got to since I haven't played it in years. I know I got past the giant floating head with pair of hands boss(the one pictured on the back of the box). I made it up to another boss which I'd call a computer for lack of better descriptive name as I was sorta surrounded by it. Basically I fired towards its front. I was trying to play it safe and stayed as near the back end of the screen to give me time to manuever around bullets but then a back wall came up from behind and crushed me. :-( That was the farthest I ever got into the game. I don't think I ever played the main game again after that.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Detroit: Home of Chrome wheels, Dope deals and Vacant fields...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never heard of it...what system was it for?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

For Sega 32X.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

This has been on my to buy list for so long...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"This has been on my to buy list for so long..."

Ew, take it off! It's majorly crummy, like the SNK game Viewpoint with horrid graphics and a stupid new jump play mechanic (let me get this straight... you can JUMP your spaceship?!).
    Russ has a fun story about this mistake of a game. People were playing the early prototype at Sega headquarters. Someone walked by and said, "Hey, that looks a little like Zaxxon." Unfortunately, everybody else started calling it Zaxxon, including the folks in marketing. :P

JR

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this has been on my buy list for a while, especially since im going for a complete 32X collection.
    Somebody once told me to get a life.

I told them I sold it for money to buy video games.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You guys must have started your 32x collection rather late. A few years ago, there used to be crapload of $2 32X games in many Toys R Us. Zaxxon was among them as well as Virtua Fighter, Kolbri, and Star Wars.

I never got Kolbri because it didn't look good to me than and now I'd have to pay through the nose on eBay for one. :P I have yet to see that elusive 32X Spiderman game (whose probably went up like crazy since that Spiderman movie)
    Another day, another dollar... wake me when it's payday.
    still playing games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my copy is shrinkwrapped lol
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyImpmon
    You guys must have started your 32x collection rather late. A few years ago, there used to be crapload of $2 32X games in many Toys R Us.
    Only thing my TRU had a few years ago was an endless supply of Saturn sports games and overpriced Majesco reissues of Genny titles.

Plus I try to avoid that store like the plague. All the ones around here are falling apart and smell like overflowing Huggies.

In comparing this game to Viewpoint, I must ask, do you like Viewpoint or not? Because I love Viewpoint and even describing this game as a crappy version of Viewpoint makes me want it. After all, I own, and still play often, the PSX version of Viewpoint and it is craptacular.

Don't ask why I play it, I just do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

Quote Originally Posted by ManekiNeko
    It's majorly crummy, like the SNK game Viewpoint with horrid graphics and a stupid new jump play mechanic (let me get this straight... you can JUMP your spaceship?!).
    It isn't that bad. Well, ok, control is a bit iffy. Sometimes it controls good enough but other times it feels as if the game were suffering from slowdown and the control becomes jumpy or sluggish. But it isn't anything that can hamper your progress if you've played better shmups and remember where to expect it in a given level.

As for graphics they aren't horrid. The backgrounds look fine. But they're just drawn back there, like Kolibri's background only with mechanical influence. The backgrounds that start using polygons in the levels, such as the ocean, desert, caverns, do look unimpressive but you have interactive environments there. Boulders that fall down, fish jumping out of the sea, or you can blast away trees. Of course all that interactive stuff is done using polygons and being the 32X I think you should know not to expect texturing or thousands of complex polygons.

Jumping ability is necessary as to not die all the time, since your original ship is a tiny thing with a peashooter. You can jump and take over another enemy ship and use its unique weapon power to your use. You have jump precisely onto the enemy ship becasue if you're off you'll wind up crashing yourself into it and thus boom. Once you accomplish a successful jump you have to wait awhile to finalize the shipjacking. Then you can reign havoc with whatever weapons the enemy ship had. I like the one that fires homing missiles.

I just want to add a bit about music here. It is unique. Some levels have a fast happy beat, like the sea, some are creepy or moody, like the caverns. Some stages have vocals, sorta. "Go! Go, go,go,go,go,go! Woo!Woo!" :P or "Ladies and Gentlemen" and "Hello, hello, hello" and then some unintelligible stuff on other bgm. Bet it sounds weird now huh? Now for boss music, they fit. I think that's pretty explanatory.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, Cap'n, Zaxxon's Motherbase 2000 is very similar to Viewpoint... it's got the same perspective, the same graphic style (except with real polygons rather than art intended to look polygonal), and the same techno soundtrack. Even some of the weapons will look familiar to you. When you play it, though, you'll just get the feeling that it's a cheap imitation of Viewpoint rather than a more worthwhile competitor. Everything Viewpoint does, Zaxxon 2000 does worse.

JR

P.S. What was wrong with the Playstation version of Viewpoint, anyway? I tried it and was really impressed... the graphics are improved, and everything else is about the same, including the monstrous difficulty. It sure beats the Genesis version of Viewpoint, that's for sure.