View Poll Results: Which one?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • 32X

    13 30.95%
  • Genesis

    5 11.90%
  • SNES

    24 57.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Simple question which version of Mortal Kombat II is better?

  1. #1
    Cherry (Level 1)
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    299
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Simple question which version of Mortal Kombat II is better?

    I was recently comparing the diiferent versions and I was wondering what you guys thought. Now please disregard the PSX and Saturn versions of the game, they're pretty much equal. Out of the 2 Genesis versions and the SNES version which one is the best. The 32X version should technically be better but the SNES version still has cleaner audio. Stab away.
    Why don't you go play in the other room. Why don't you BURN IN HELL!! - Stewie.

  2. #2
    needs food badly. Custom rank graphic
    Red Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    354
    Xbox LIVE
    Schlimtor
    PSN
    Schlimtor
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I was gonna say SNES, but that doesn't seem to be included in your poll.
    "Red Warrior needs food badly."

  3. #3
    Pretzel (Level 4) AMG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    910
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I like the series on the SNES better than the Genesis.

    Note: I can't comment on the 32X because I never played it.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

  4. #4
    Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    kainemaxwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    12,578
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    SNES version.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

  5. #5
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    4,364
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Personally, I feel that the 32X version was way overrated. It basically was a game that 32X owners hung their hats on, thinking that they would at least have one decent game to brag about. They figured that the power of the 32X would give it enough to go beyond the SNES version.


    The bottom line is that the SNES version kicks major ass. When it comes to the original Mortal Kombat, I actually prefer the Genny version over the others.

  6. #6
    Cherry (Level 1)
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    299
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Warrior
    I was gonna say SNES, but that doesn't seem to be included in your poll.
    Yeah sorry I messed that up somehow I forgot to click the add option button which means that that option didn't show up. I've fixed it now.
    Why don't you go play in the other room. Why don't you BURN IN HELL!! - Stewie.

  7. #7
    Banana (Level 7) drwily008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Stow, OH
    Posts
    1,476
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    SNES version was way smooth!

  8. #8
    Apple (Level 5)
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,156
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    i'm not sure, i have both, and the only thing i see as different is the sound on the genny version (wich is fine by me, btw) it ain't like it has another completily different music/sounds.

  9. #9
    Apple (Level 5) DTJAAAAMJSLM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,163
    Xbox LIVE
    DTJAAAAM
    PSN
    DTJAAAAM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I prefer the SNES version.

  10. #10
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    16
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I remember in magazines when i first saw the ads for the 32x version and thought that it looked better over the super nes witch i had but when my friend got it, it was just all flash.

    It had the story and pictures like the arcade verison witch i had seen in magazines and the characters select screen had all the colors and sounds witch the genesis was missing and the super nes had but when you got to the stages like the acid pit it just looked a little better then the genesis verison and added more sounds

    Really made my friend mad

    so Super Nes on this one

    but 32x comes in second
    never underestimate the power of a video game player

    Now your playing with power

    Genesis does what Nintendon't

  11. #11
    Banned

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    851
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Anyone who said anything other than the 32X version hasn't played the 32X version.

  12. #12
    Insert Coin (Level 0) ae.tc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    95
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    The SNES controller is quite well suited for MKs.
    Atari Driver Sega Mega-Tech SNK MVS Sega Naomi Sega Naomi 2 Kaneko AX
    about me: ae.tc

  13. #13
    Cherry (Level 1)
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    229
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    The Saturn version was quite good, but still nothing on the arcade. I have played all versions and find that the SNES version is rock solid. There isn't the same picture quality as the saturn version, but for a 16bit machine the results are good.

    From memory, didn't the 32X version have larger (correct) size sprites?

  14. #14
    Peach (Level 3)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Playing Third Strike on XBL
    Posts
    675
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Saturn versions sucks.

    SNES > Genesis

    Never played the 32x one.

    But I have an MK2 cab so woot!

  15. #15
    Pac-Man (Level 10) RCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2,333
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    Personally, I feel that the 32X version was way overrated.
    By whom? I've haven't heard much praise for the 32X version. It's better than Genesis, but can't touch the SNES. The Saturn version is strange. Graphically it's pretty close to the arcade, but a lot of the sound is missing. A few months later a solid version of Ultimate MK3 came out. You would have thought the MKII port would have been closer to the arcade! I preferred MKII for SNES at home until Midway Arcade Treasures 2 came out. While not 100% perfect, the port is close enough for me. Play it on PS2 and use a Street Fighter Anniversary controller. Pure heaven!

    THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

  16. #16
    Pear (Level 6)
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Chatham, Ontario
    Posts
    1,344
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    If you're looking strictly at the original MK, then it's the Genny, for MK2 It's the SNES.

  17. #17
    Pac-Man (Level 10) suppafly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    2,710
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    The 32x version is the best one of those three. It isnt in top of this poll only because not many people played it.

    I think the 32x version is better because the graphics are hot, and I really like playing it with the sega 6-button controller pad

  18. #18
    Cherry (Level 1)
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    299
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zadoc
    Anyone who said anything other than the 32X version hasn't played the 32X version.
    I have played all 3 versions and don't care much for the original Genesis version but as for the 32X, technically the resolution is higher and more accurate to the arcade but didn't translate as well as the SNES version did for some bizarre reason. The SNES version definitely sounds better though but not enough better than the 32X version to make it the definate winner. The only other advantage the 32X version should have and does in this case is the 6 button controller which is set up the same way as in the arcades.

    Quote Originally Posted by RCM
    By whom? I've haven't heard much praise for the 32X version. It's better than Genesis, but can't touch the SNES. The Saturn version is strange. Graphically it's pretty close to the arcade, but a lot of the sound is missing. A few months later a solid version of Ultimate MK3 came out. You would have thought the MKII port would have been closer to the arcade! I preferred MKII for SNES at home until Midway Arcade Treasures 2 came out. While not 100% perfect, the port is close enough for me. Play it on PS2 and use a Street Fighter Anniversary controller. Pure heaven!
    I agree with this, and using the Street fighter Anniversary Collection controllers should be perfect for these old fighting games, I'm going to have to get one. Are they coming out for the Xbox?
    Why don't you go play in the other room. Why don't you BURN IN HELL!! - Stewie.

  19. #19
    Pac-Man (Level 10) RCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2,333
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James
    Quote Originally Posted by Zadoc
    Anyone who said anything other than the 32X version hasn't played the 32X version.
    I have played all 3 versions and don't care much for the original Genesis version but as for the 32X, technically the resolution is higher and more accurate to the arcade but didn't translate as well as the SNES version did for some bizarre reason. The SNES version definitely sounds better though but not enough better than the 32X version to make it the definate winner. The only other advantage the 32X version should have and does in this case is the 6 button controller which is set up the same way as in the arcades.

    Quote Originally Posted by RCM
    By whom? I've haven't heard much praise for the 32X version. It's better than Genesis, but can't touch the SNES. The Saturn version is strange. Graphically it's pretty close to the arcade, but a lot of the sound is missing. A few months later a solid version of Ultimate MK3 came out. You would have thought the MKII port would have been closer to the arcade! I preferred MKII for SNES at home until Midway Arcade Treasures 2 came out. While not 100% perfect, the port is close enough for me. Play it on PS2 and use a Street Fighter Anniversary controller. Pure heaven!
    I agree with this, and using the Street fighter Anniversary Collection controllers should be perfect for these old fighting games, I'm going to have to get one. Are they coming out for the Xbox?
    For the record, i've actually owned every home version of MKII, portables included. SNES was king until recently. The 32X and Saturn versions were disappointing on different levels. The SNES was at the very least solid all around.

    THe SFA controllers keep getting pushed back for Xbox. Also, there's a bit of confusion as to how they're actually going to look. In an advertisment i saw recently they showed the controllers looking akin to the Controllers S. If you look on EB's website they show the controllers looking almost exactly like the PS2 versions. I hope when they are finally released they resemble the latter.

    THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

  20. #20
    Pac-Man (Level 10) RCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2,333
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Re: Simple question which version of Mortal Kombat II is bet

    Quote Originally Posted by James
    I was recently comparing the diiferent versions and I was wondering what you guys thought. Now please disregard the PSX and Saturn versions of the game, they're pretty much equal.
    Was there a PS version of MKII? Didn't know that, if true I guess I haven't owned every home version!

    THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

  21. #21
    Peach (Level 3)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Playing Third Strike on XBL
    Posts
    675
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Re: Simple question which version of Mortal Kombat II is bet

    Quote Originally Posted by RCM
    Quote Originally Posted by James
    I was recently comparing the diiferent versions and I was wondering what you guys thought. Now please disregard the PSX and Saturn versions of the game, they're pretty much equal.
    Was there a PS version of MKII? Didn't know that, if true I guess I haven't owned every home version!

    THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM
    Yea it was JPN only, I have the burnz.

  22. #22
    Peach (Level 3) ghostangelofcky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    757
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    In my opinion

    MK - Sega CD
    MK 2 & 3 - Midways Arcade Classics II - PS2
    UMK 3 - SAT
    MK 4 - just pick up gold for the DC

  23. #23
    Peach (Level 3)
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Styria's fields of war
    Posts
    651
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James
    Quote Originally Posted by Zadoc
    Anyone who said anything other than the 32X version hasn't played the 32X version.
    I have played all 3 versions and don't care much for the original Genesis version but as for the 32X, technically the resolution is higher and more accurate to the arcade but didn't translate as well as the SNES version did for some bizarre reason. The SNES version definitely sounds better though but not enough better than the 32X version to make it the definate winner. The only other advantage the 32X version should have and does in this case is the 6 button controller which is set up the same way as in the arcades.
    the resolution of the 32x version is not higher.It uses the same res as the snes version.The only plus of the 32x version is that the sprites are same size as the arcade originals.
    but the most "perfect" impression makes the snes as it has (by far) the best sound and best controlls.and it also seems that the animations are a bit more fluid in the snes version too.
    (and yes I played the 32x version)

    the genny version is worst....not only caused by the sound but also by lack of colors which is very noticable in digi-sprites based games.

  24. #24
    Pac-Man (Level 10) RCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2,333
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Re: Simple question which version of Mortal Kombat II is bet

    Quote Originally Posted by buttasuperb
    Quote Originally Posted by RCM
    Quote Originally Posted by James
    I was recently comparing the diiferent versions and I was wondering what you guys thought. Now please disregard the PSX and Saturn versions of the game, they're pretty much equal.
    Was there a PS version of MKII? Didn't know that, if true I guess I haven't owned every home version!

    THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM
    Yea it was JPN only, I have the burnz.
    How is it? It's an odd choice to release MKII exclusively in Japan considering the series was/is far more popular in the US.

    THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

  25. #25
    Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    MegaDrive20XX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Waco TX
    Posts
    5,921
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Right now, MAT2 is the best

    But breaking it down

    1.SNES
    2. 32X
    3. Genesis

    I voted 32X, because it's the nicest looking one in cart format next to the SNES version
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Similar Threads

  1. New Mortal Kombat DLC question
    By djshok in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2011, 05:08 AM
  2. PS1 Mortal Kombat 3 (Jewel case version)
    By cracked8ball in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-26-2006, 10:04 PM
  3. Arcade perfect version of Mortal Kombat 1 ever made?
    By smokehouse in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-27-2006, 12:14 AM
  4. Best version of Mortal Kombat II?
    By Red Warrior in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 01-26-2004, 08:00 PM
  5. What's the best home version of Mortal Kombat?
    By Anthony1 in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 08-08-2003, 10:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •