Thread: Sealed Alien Soldier, anyone?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sealed Alien Soldier, anyone?

If you don't fancy splashing silly amounts of money for the Japanese Alien Soldier ... well, why not splash a silly amount for a PAL copy that you can't play, beacause it is SEALED!

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...177469245&rd=1

Scarily, I don't think it is unimaginable that someone might actually go for this ..

Vroomfunkel

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It looks kind of fishy too me. Is it truely the real deal?
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What looks fishy, exactly? I don't see anything suspect. It's a PAL Alien Soldier, and it certainly looks as if it is new & sealed. You don't see many sealed PAL games, but when you do they tend to look very much like that.

[brag begins] I have a sealed PAL Art of Fighting on the shelf next to me at the moment, and it looks just like that (well, with different cover of course!) [/end brag]

Vroomfunkel

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vroomfunkel
    What looks fishy, exactly?
    I don't know, guess I just haven't seen enough pal Megadrive games too tell. It just reminded me of my brazilian games by the looks of the case, that's all.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vroomfunkel
    What looks fishy, exactly? I don't see anything suspect. It's a PAL Alien Soldier, and it certainly looks as if it is new & sealed. You don't see many sealed PAL games, but when you do they tend to look very much like that.

[brag begins] I have a sealed PAL Art of Fighting on the shelf next to me at the moment, and it looks just like that (well, with different cover of course!) [/end brag]

Vroomfunkel
    LOL, really? It's not wrappeed or nothing; it just has a sticker on it that says SEGA. I can print that shit off of my computer. :p

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep .. that's as good as it gets for sealed PAL MD games. To be honest, it wouldn't be easy to fake that sticker, and it is pretty obvious if it has been taken off at any point. It's practically impossible to get them off without crumpling them - and they don't stick back on properly anyway!

I'd say it's probably harder to fake one of these than a NES / SNES sealed game, which any muppet with a shrink-wrap machine can have a go at!

Vroomfunkel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's actually pretty easy to transfer it from a box to another. Just open the case and the sticker stays on one half or another and then it's easy to stick anywhere you wish.
    This one looks very neat, though.

If you want a factory fresh MD game, the best place is to go France like Mike Oldfield would say. They (and some other EU countries) got some of their games in the hard plastic thingies. If somebody knows the proper term for them, please enlighten me.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidleeroth
    It's actually pretty easy to transfer it from a box to another. Just open the case and the sticker stays on one half or another and then it's easy to stick anywhere you wish.
    This one looks very neat, though.
    Trust me, it's not especially easy. I got a bunch of sealed Asian PAL Shadowruns and Indiana Jones games a while back, and I opened some to check them out. As an experiment I tried to see how easy it would be to preserve the seal after opening and 're-seal' them. It ain't easy at all! You can do it, but it is pretty simple to tell that it has been done.

Not to mention that if someone wanted to 'reseal' MD games, they would have to have a ready supply of those mint condition Sega stickers. I find this unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by davidleeroth
    If you want a factory fresh MD game, the best place is to go France like Mike Oldfield would say. They (and some other EU countries) got some of their games in the hard plastic thingies. If somebody knows the proper term for them, please enlighten me.
    I believe you are referring to 'blister packs'. I find them kinda ugly. Also not ideal for collectors, as they would cause problems in storage (they don't pack / stack as well as normal boxed games).

Vroomfunkel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Meh, honestly, how gullible can some people be!!! Lol!

Am I the only person who thinks it is far too easy to fake a sealed Mega Drive game?

Those little Sega stickers are so easy to manipulate, it's almost laughable that people would fall for this!

Ie, when Mega Drive games were brand new (I mean actually in the shops), the adhesive on those labels was not the best, so it was quite easy to just open the box normally whilst still leaving the sticker intact stuck to either part of the box!

I still have all the stickers on all my Mega Drive games!!! Maybe I should "Manipulate" the one on my Gunstar Heroes and stick that up for auction on eBay...?

Maybe I should go the whole nine yards and get someone down my local GameStation to shrinkwrap it for me as well!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally, I think it would be possible to tell if one had been re-sealed. But then I wouldn't pay any more for a sealed Megadrive game than a mint one anyway, so it's not really something I would devote much time to arguing about.

There's certainly no way I would pay three times the going rate for an Alien Soldier that is 'sealed'!

Vroomfunkel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix
    Maybe I should go the whole nine yards and get someone down my local GameStation to shrinkwrap it for me as well!
    Except that would be a sure-fire way to know it's a fake - PAL Mega Drive games were never shrink-wrapped.