Thread: If prices or rarities seem "off", POST THEM HERE

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

What's up with all the games that have 0 as their rarity.

Mr. Nutz for SNES seems to be pretty rare in the NA region.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    What's up with all the games that have 0 as their rarity.
    http://www.digitpress.com/lists/0_dpguide.htm#scarcity

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone update the lists from here?

http://www.digitpress.com/lists/

Those lists are hellishly useful, but the rarities seem far off. Also, the link to 'forum thread' on that page is broken.

I've been collecting N64 pretty intensely for the past few months, and I can mention a few I'd like to see changed.

For example - Conker's Bad Fur Day - Currently at R1 - would boost to at least R5.

Elmo's Letter & Number adventure are at R5, and I see them quite often - I'd say R3.

Beetle Adventure Racing is one of the most common games I come across, has to be an R1 (not an R3!). Likewise for Excitebike 64.

The Collectors Edition of LoZ:OoT is not a R1, it is at least an R4. Same for Majora's Mask - which doesn't have separate entries on that list.

The following games could use a boost in rarity by one level - 007: World is not enough, Clayfighter's Sculptor's Cut, Harvest Moon, and SW: Battle for Naboo.

Anyway, sorry for all that babbling.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I'm not sure where else to post this and didn't want to make a separate topic. There's a spelling mistake with one of the games.

http://guide.digitpress.com:8080/DP/...f?gameid=11748

Goemon is spelled "Goeman". I couldn't find the listing when searching for Goemon, only when I searched for Great Adventure did it turn up.

Edit: The same mistake occurs with a few other entries.
    http://guide.digitpress.com:8080/DP/...f?gameid=11832
    http://guide.digitpress.com:8080/DP/...f?gameid=19910
    http://guide.digitpress.com:8080/DP/...mf?gameid=3234
    http://guide.digitpress.com:8080/DP/...f?gameid=19918

There are other entries for Goeman too when I searched for that name, I can't think they're right either.
    Last edited by Gameguy; 09-02-2012 at 10:53 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tokimeki Memorial (PC Engine) is definitely not worth $25, $5-15 is a bit closer, a rarity level of 6 is far too high for a game that can be bought on Ebay any day of the week, it should probably be a 2 or 3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKobold View Post
    Does anyone update the lists from here?

http://www.digitpress.com/lists/

Those lists are hellishly useful, but the rarities seem far off. Also, the link to 'forum thread' on that page is broken.

I've been collecting N64 pretty intensely for the past few months, and I can mention a few I'd like to see changed.

For example - Conker's Bad Fur Day - Currently at R1 - would boost to at least R5.

Elmo's Letter & Number adventure are at R5, and I see them quite often - I'd say R3.

Beetle Adventure Racing is one of the most common games I come across, has to be an R1 (not an R3!). Likewise for Excitebike 64.

The Collectors Edition of LoZ:OoT is not a R1, it is at least an R4. Same for Majora's Mask - which doesn't have separate entries on that list.

The following games could use a boost in rarity by one level - 007: World is not enough, Clayfighter's Sculptor's Cut, Harvest Moon, and SW: Battle for Naboo.

Anyway, sorry for all that babbling.
    If you're interested in N64 variants, WWF No Mercy v1.1 US is one to look into. The cart front label's product code says "NUS-NW4E-USA-1". (pic)
    Last edited by theclaw; 09-03-2012 at 06:08 AM.
    Lum fan.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tokimemofan View Post
    Tokimeki Memorial (PC Engine) is definitely not worth $25, $5-15 is a bit closer, a rarity level of 6 is far too high for a game that can be bought on Ebay any day of the week, it should probably be a 2 or 3.
    I ended up winning that game for under a dollar (even if the main game might be beyond my reading, still probably at least worth that for the shmup minigame ). I see it listed often for only a few dollars.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can you please reassess the rarity rating of ESPN NBA Hang Time '95 for the Sega CD? It has a rating of 5, but since July 2010 there have been only 18 sales noted by pricecharting, that's almost 6 copies per year. That is an absurdly low amount of games in circulation. The two most recent CIB auctions were January 9 and May 22, they were sold for $105 and $90 respectively.

I consider myself extremely lucky to have found this in a game store for $5 years back, knowing that it was at the least a rare game. Now I'm starting to think it may very well be one of the 3 rarest games on the console, if not the rarest. It's a sports game that used to be worth $1. I guess news came through to collectors, especially to Sega CD completionists, that this game is INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT to find, MUCH, MUCH moreso than Keio Flying Squadron and even Radical Rex. I've also seen that complete copies of the game fail to list something I have. It looks like those that own truly complete copies of the game also have a 15"x20" poster of the game's cover.

At present, no Sega CD U.S. release has a rarity rating higher than 6. Frankly, I think this game deserves an upgrade from R5 to at least an R8, because I think it surpasses the criteria for R7 by a wide margin.

I'd also increase the price as such, since $60 is the current guide price for complete copies, but recent sales would put the game in the $95-$100 category.

Also, S.C.A.T. for the NES has recently had a dramatic increase in value from $5. Loose copies average sales of $65 now. Don't ask me why. I have no idea why a game I bought for $7 6 years ago went up in value exponentially. It's what happened to NBA Hangtime, except this game doesn't have a rarity excuse. Gargoyle's Quest II is up from $10 to $45. You actually might want to do a sweep of all NES games, because a lot of games in my collection went from being worth nothing in 2010 to a ton of cash now.

Thanks for your great site. I've been to NAVA once so far (hard to go when I'm stuck in Memphis), and hope to come again with my friends soon. I think your comprehensive classic guide is about to see major price boosts in the NES section, and it doesn't look like these prices are going to go back down. CD-based media might, but the NES games are starting to get white hot. Games like Power Blade 2 that were $10 a few years ago are $225 now. It's beyond crazy. I should've kept building my collection in 2006 when I had the chance. Also shouldn't have sold my boxed Dragon Warrior III & IV (I originally bought them for $20 each sometime a few years ago. Even the store clerk thought his boss was an idiot for having those games that low. I also could've got 1&2 CIB but was broke enough). Boneheaded move of the century.

Anyway, that was one of my patented wild rambling tangents. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Lee is Still Gaming; 06-06-2013 at 09:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not sure if anyone reads these anymore, but I'll agree with you Hangtime 95 is an extremely rare game. But part of it could be because people just expect it to be another cheap crappy sports game and pass over it when out in the wild.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

AVGN's bud Mike Matei reviewed S.C.A.T. (or I think he actually had a PAL copy, Action in New York).
    That's what happened to S.C.A.T. and Gun-Nac for NES and Run Saber for SNES.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone reads these anymore, but I'll agree with you Hangtime 95 is an extremely rare game. But part of it could be because people just expect it to be another cheap crappy sports game and pass over it when out in the wild.
    When I skimmed through my Sega CD collection's pricing on pricecharting, I completely skipped my sports games. I barely noticed it after I was done looking at my other games from the console. When I caught a glimpse of Hang Time, I said, "There's no way that can be right. I know it's rare, but it can't be THAT rare." And sure enough, it's insanely pricey now. The chart shows one listing that went for 99¢ around 2008. I may have been the person that won that auction 5+ years ago. I recall there being an auction for a rare game I bid on and was surprised nobody else outbid me, and this may have been it. I don't recall where I bought it, but it was cheap and I knew the game was rare and worth at least $15 at the time, and I was also set on getting a complete Sega CD collection so I picked it up. (I eventually gave up that endeavor and instead decided to only get the good games like the Lunar series and Popful Mail, the latter of which I'm trying to retrieve by trading Lunar: EB or said copy of NBA Hangtime even though the game's true value may be $600+)

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    AVGN's bud Mike Matei reviewed S.C.A.T. (or I think he actually had a PAL copy, Action in New York).
    That's what happened to S.C.A.T. and Gun-Nac for NES and Run Saber for SNES.
    It's amazing to think a review can increase a game's value, but pricecharting does show a sharp increase on S.C.A.T. and Gun-Nac around the release of the video. I noticed that one common game that usually sells for $2 spiked to $15 for a week or so after the video. There are some games he excluded on the list that I'm still trying to collect, so hopefully Matei or AVGN leave those games out until they're in my collection. Makes me wonder if Journey to Silius will be the next game to rise in value dramatically. It's an R2, but it's a damn good game. There's an R4+ game I need that I'm going to go ahead and spend the $30 on now before its value increases. Hopefully I can snag it at a bargain of $22 or less, but frankly the game is worth it. I'd mention what it is, but I don't want competitors.

There are a lot of uncommon games he could've listed that would be worth a lot of money today. Take, for instance, the gold unlicensed cart Micro Machines. It's my favorite NES game of all-time, but the R4 game can be had for less than $20. I have an unopened R7 Micro Machines Aladdin Cart but it's only worth $15 because nobody would want it except for those that own the lame (yet rare) Aladdin Deck Enhancer or Micro Machines video game fans like myself. However, other games like Power Blade 1 & 2 have started to get on peoples' radars and now both have gone up in value exponentially. With the next generation of consoles looking to kill used games, I think this is going to be a period of years where good NES games R3 and up start to get really expensive. I had to spend $15.50 on an average Mega Man clone, The Krion Conquest. As late as December 2009 I could've gotten it for under $5. Change is coming to classic video game prices, especially to NES games.

It's funny, had Matei mentioned another Natsume game instead of S.C.A.T. like Shadow of the Ninja, it's likely that the shooter would still be worth about $10 and the Ninja Gaiden-type game with awesome co-op gameplay would've gone up to $80 or more from $15. I've only gotten to 2-1 on SotN, but I know for a fact that it's a hidden gem as well as Shatterhand, both just R3 games, but S.C.A.T. was an R3 game as well, so no even remotely uncommon game is safe anymore from massive price jacks thanks to the power of the internet.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

SCAT was always a relatively difficult game to find, even before anyone cared about it. It is probably rarer than a 3. Another game that is much rarer than it is listed at is World Soccer '94: Road to Glory for the SNES. This game is listed as a 1, but I'd say it is a 6 or 7. I've only ever seen the game once in many years of collecting.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peeingas View Post
    SCAT was always a relatively difficult game to find, even before anyone cared about it. It is probably rarer than a 3. Another game that is much rarer than it is listed at is World Soccer '94: Road to Glory for the SNES.
    Only 20 listings sold since January 2011. I can't say I'm too amazed at the low value, but it definitely seems like an R7.

Quote Originally Posted by peeingas View Post
    Another game that is much rarer than it is listed at is World Soccer '94: Road to Glory for the SNES. This game is listed as a 1, but I'd say it is a 6 or 7. I've only ever seen the game once in many years of collecting.
    On a similar note, Championship Soccer '94 Sega CD is listed at $90. I do still think the rarity rating is correct, but the demand has gone down significantly. Average complete copies go for about $30. They got as high as $182 in March 2011.

There's not many eBay listings for the game so it might warrant being promoted to R7 (again, no Sega CD game has a rating higher than R6) with listings being scarce, but I still think Hang Time 95 is an R8+.

*edit* The entire NES library definitely needs a reassessment at least price-wise, as regular games have gone up 5x-15x in value since 2010 and expensive games have gotten even more expensive. Bonk's Adventure for NES is up from $85 to $270. There's just way too many NES games that need price hikes to note. Hopefully when the prices level out after this huge rollercoaster ride that's gone in only one direction, UP, puts on the brakes so an updated Classic print guide can be released to the public.
    Last edited by Lee is Still Gaming; 06-10-2013 at 11:38 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well a copy of Hangtime 95 sold for about $90 recently (http://www.ebay.com/itm/300908770649) so there's your line to start from. I really don't think it's a $600 game though. Championship Soccer 94 is also very rare, I just think people saw the price spike and then decided they'd be happy to offload their copies of a soccer game for big bucks rather than sit on it.

Same thing kind of happened with Pitfall 32X, no copies had been for sale for like a year or so and then one came up and ended at about $250 I think. Everyone tried to sell their copy at the same time to get the big bucks and the price has been gradually decreasing.

I hope you already bought Keio though, that game is just stupid pricey at this point.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Well a copy of Hangtime 95 sold for about $90 recently (http://www.ebay.com/itm/300908770649) so there's your line to start from. I really don't think it's a $600 game though. Championship Soccer 94 is also very rare, I just think people saw the price spike and then decided they'd be happy to offload their copies of a soccer game for big bucks rather than sit on it.

Same thing kind of happened with Pitfall 32X, no copies had been for sale for like a year or so and then one came up and ended at about $250 I think. Everyone tried to sell their copy at the same time to get the big bucks and the price has been gradually decreasing.

I hope you already bought Keio though, that game is just stupid pricey at this point.
    Sadly Keio evaded me until the very end. I know of Hangtime's value currently, but I think it has the potential to be worth $600 by 2015. I'm currently trying to barter it or Lunar: Eternal Blue for Popful Mail.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wolfenstein 3D For Jaguar and SNES are both listed as 1, but I would put the SNES version as a 3 and the jaguar as a 4 or 5. Neither one of these games should be 1 as they are not really ultra common.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder if the digipress rarity online guide is updated, isn't it?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

On the "Value in USD" section on the database, it seems that it tops out at $127. I've looked at some rare games (Air Raid, NWC) and they are listed as being worth $127. I know for a fact that NWC and Air Raid, along with many other games, are worth way over $127. It used to top out at $999. Why have a max at all?
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Godzilla is Back

Alright, ever since the new Godzilla movie released this year, there have been a Noticable rise in demand for select Godzilla games (mainly on Xbox). Iv seen them
    sell for around 30 dollarsc (Surprising since they used to sell for 10 bucks). Maybe even 20 dollars for a loose disc (Though I doubt this). A Re-Spark in Nostalgia factor for many a fan of Old School Godzilla is the probable Culprit behind the rise in Demand. And because a Godzilla sequel is planned in the next 2 years. There is a good Reason to start Investing in the Godzilla games for SNES and Xbox while they are affordable. Make no Mistake. These games ARE NOT RARE but There is a Demand coming. So I hope you update the list. For the Record I used Pricecharting.com for my research.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I also don't know if I'd say Stack Up cartridges are "quite common"