Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: If prices or rarities seem "off", POST THEM HERE

Insert Coin (Level 0) randis112's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recently found a site selling games called jjgames.com. Most of their limited inventory of used games is fairly cheap but a few of their games are outragous when you consider according to the database here that they are fairly common.

Case in point, Back to the future 3 for the sega genesis cart only is going for 110 dollars. Worms armageddon for the n64 cart only 164 dollars; and Super monkeyball for the x-box is going for 184 dollars.

Anyone have any ideas as to why the ridiculous prices for these games in particular?

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

there's no publisher for Messiah for PS1

Messiah

Developed by Shiny Entertainment'

Published by interplay

Starcon

Published by Accolade.
    Last edited by vintagegamecrazy; 02-09-2008 at 02:44 PM.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think the rarity of Lunar Silver Star Story "Fan Edition" for the PSX is a bit off. The guide has it as an R5 but based on the numbers, that seems kind of odd.

While talking about the extras for Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete, Victor Ireland says: "We made enough raw materials to sell more than the original 250,000 we sold of SSSC"
    http://psx.ign.com/articles/087/087665p1.html

From what I gather, both here and elsewhere, Lunar: SSSC sold a total of about 250,000 copies (WD best selling game ever). Knowing Working Designs that means that's probably about equal to the actual production numbers.

Here it says (Don't know how valid it is) that the game sold 222,763. Just do a find for Lunar.
    http://www.armchairarcade.com/aamain...ic.php?2.16655

Now, about the Fan Edition, from Victor Ireland's mouth...er...keyboard, he says: "Less than 1 out of every 30 LUNAR:Silver Star Story Playstation games are this type"
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130198844779

This is Victor Ireland selling the item (I bought it, in fact). And if you do the math and divide 250,000 by 30 you get 8,333. He says less than 1 so I'm guessing that means about 8,000 copies of the Fan Edition were printed. Which, if you think about it, makes sense as even the DP guide says that they were only available through limited channels.

Panzer Dragoon Saga and Dragonball GT: Final Bout (original Bandai version) both are R6 and I'm pretty certain both had print runs amounting to about 10,000 each. So if 10,000 copies floating around equals R6 how does 8,000 copies floating around equal R5?

For something even stranger, RayStorm is listed as an R7. But the numbers here say it sold 31,357. That's more than the R6s I mentioned alone not even considering that these are probably not the final numbers in existence.
    http://www.armchairarcade.com/aamain...ic.php?2.16655

What are the general numbers between listings? 500,000+ = R1? 400,000-500,000 = R2?

I also find it strange that Lost & Found Volume 1 for the Saturn is an R9 when in the description itself it says there are only 25 copies. How is something with only 25 copies an R9? This is especially strange when there are R10s on the list with more than double or triple that.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 02-18-2008 at 07:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Move these two to the Demoes samplers section and make them R10's
    RCA games

Both that one and the tester I should be moved

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some of the Lightspan PSX games are R18, R20, and R30. I'm sorry I didn't run a search, but is this normal?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think the explanation there is that the price and rarity numbers were swapped by accident.

Insert Coin (Level 0) randis112's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by randis112 View Post
    I recently found a site selling games called jjgames.com. Most of their limited inventory of used games is fairly cheap but a few of their games are outragous when you consider according to the database here that they are fairly common.

Case in point, Back to the future 3 for the sega genesis cart only is going for 110 dollars. Worms armageddon for the n64 cart only 164 dollars; and Super monkeyball for the x-box is going for 184 dollars.

Anyone have any ideas as to why the ridiculous prices for these games in particular?
    Thanks for the answer guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have an update about Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete. I've been talking to Victor Ireland through email since I bought an item from him. He said this about the Fan Edition:

Less than 10,000 of that [Fan Edition] were made. There were close to 300,000 LUNAR sold overall.

So them's the numbers from the producer himself.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeMan View Post
    It has been my experience that the prices listed for your old Game Boy and Color Game Boy games are a tad on the low side.
    In general, the Game Boy (Original, at least) prices in DP's online guide really ought not to be taken as authoritative. I haven't seen much evidence over the past four or so years that they're accurate at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Other than Gamestop and Gamecrazy and the likes who never sell their overpriced Game Boy games, the games in the database are fairly priced to me, if they turn up outside of major retailers the prices are considerably lower and more reflect the guide better.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mumbai View Post
    In general, the Game Boy (Original, at least) prices in DP's online guide really ought not to be taken as authoritative. I haven't seen much evidence over the past four or so years that they're accurate at all.
    I agree with this. The rarity scores seem spot on as far as I can tell, but the prices are almost always low. Compared to what you would pay on ebay or Amazon the prices don't seem that accurate. I have started using the guide just for the rarity score and other sites for the prices.
    Owner of PriceCharting.com and JJGames.com.
    Video Game Price guides for every game for every system from NES to Xbox 360.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The prices are around 10-20% low, we all know Ebay and amazon are on the high side so you can't use the guide for ebay so I don't agree with that statement.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    The prices are around 10-20% low, we all know Ebay and amazon are on the high side so you can't use the guide for ebay so I don't agree with that statement.
    I don't know what you mean "ebay is on the high side". How can it be "high" when it is based upon the price people bid. Some who wins an item said I think it is worth this much. I would say that is exactly right.

What do you think the "right" price is if it isn't what someone has voluntarily agreed to pay?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jjgames View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    I don't know what you mean "ebay is on the high side".
    I don't know what is meant, either, as eBay trends above or below prices elsewhere depending on the title. I think it's a bit much to assume "we all know" something that seems to be assumed rather than demonstrable. On the other hand, borrowing your assumption, eBay *ought* to have higher prices, given that one typically can inspect the actual merchandise to a degree, whereas with Amazon, Half.com, GameTZ, etc. it requires faith that a listing is accurate in terms of quality assessment ... alarmingly, any such faith is often misplaced.

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just curious as the comparison between this rarity guide, and Atariage's.
    I recently got Space Tunnel (made by Puzzy). Atariage lists it as a 9, while Digitpress, only a 4.

Atariage's Rarity Guide
    Last edited by SamuraiSmurfette; 05-31-2008 at 03:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Hello !!

Aero fighters is valued 25 Loose or Complete, but i have listed this game twice in a row and the reached 91 and 109 usd the cart only.

I will list a complete copy on ebay to check its value, do you have an idea of how much will reach ?

Thanks a lot !
    Last edited by eskobar; 07-02-2008 at 04:12 PM. Reason: spell correction

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eskobar View Post
    Hello !!

Aero fighters is valued 25 Loose or Complete, but i have listed this game twice in a row and the reached 91 and 109 usd the cart only.

I will list a complete copy on ebay to check its value, do you have an idea of how much will reach ?

Thanks a lot !
    Yeah that game is quite rare and expensive now. I don't have the auction number but on April 23 of this year a Aero Fighters sold for $200 with the box and instructions. My guess is that is about what you would get for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Thanks a lot for the reply, JJGAMES; sometimes you get really crazy prices on ebay ... right now i have a sealed kid icarus that has bids for 199 usd with 3 days left ..

let's see about that aero

it is my only complete copy, but i am very curious :S
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whoopsie sorry, posted in the wrong thread, my apologies.
    Last edited by krbrunn; 07-06-2008 at 02:25 PM.
    I game therefore I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If anyone's wondering, Victor Ireland says this about the Lunar: SSSC Demo Disc.

These are pretty rare because only about 1 in 25 games that were sold got the demo disc (you got it when you preordered).

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-LUNAR-Silve...QQcmdZViewItem

Right now the demo has a rating of 0. Well, considering there were about 300,000 copies of Lunar pressed (as said by Victor himself) that puts the demo at about 12,000.