Thread: If prices or rarities seem "off", POST THEM HERE

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

None of the javascript popup links work for me on that page. Just return errors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    None of the javascript popup links work for me on that page. Just return errors.
    Not even if you start at www.gamereset.de and follow the links from there ?(gamereset -> Freakshow -> things never seen -> pengo)

I noticed it is actually pretty hard to find a good picture of a black label PAL pengo (even with Google). Just in case, this is a pretty bad photo of one of the carts i own: http://axtelius.se/palimages/343.jpg (notice the black tape over the text. it comes out pretty weird in the picture)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Yeah I'd see that shown over at AA. As said, mine is an actual prototype version of it. Whether it differs code wise from the actual released version is another matter.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BigPapaHusker
    PSN
    BigPapaHusker

Fox Hunt for PSX
    I have seen it go on EBAY for about $20, and local stores sell them for $14.99. Maybe it will be worth more later, but ATM, I havent seen it go as high as the guide says.

Suikoden II for PSX
    It seems that loose copies are going from $65 - $75, while complete are going for $110-$120 on Ebay. The local stores sell it for $99.99, so I think the rarity may be raised a notch, as well as the price.

Valkyrie Profile for PSX
    Similar to Suikoden II, loose copies go for about the guide's suggested price while complete copies hit around $100. I havent seen this game more than 5 times in the wild, one of them getting it disc only for $5 Anyway, maybe it should be bumped up to a 4 and the price be bumped up a bit.

Dragon Warrior for NES
    I see this game EVERYWHERE... Goodwill, local shops, ebay.. In the past month I've seen it about 6 times. Price wise, at the Goodwills it has been about $2, at the local game stores $4, which is a tiny bit lower than the guide price.

I dunno if these will help at all, but I thought I might as well post suggestions.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: [ColecoVision] Galaxian

Quote Originally Posted by Keir to the nth power
    Quote Originally Posted by mumbai
    However, if I had to speak my part, I'd bump the value to $25 and raise the rarity one notch from R4 to R5. This still places it below Jungle Hunt (R6/$30), but properly distances it from the more common Atarisoft titles of Defender and Centipede (both R3).
    I agree that Galaxian is much harder to find than Centipede and Defender, but rather than raising Galaxian, perhaps Centipede and Defender should be lowered? I would suggest ratings of R2/$5 for both (I bought them sealed for less than that).
    I'd still like to see Galaxian raised, in value, if not in rarity. I know eBay isn't the only yardstick, but for the past three or so years, it would require a small stroke of luck to pick up the game for under $20 as a loose cartridge. That's with both labels intact, as a lot of copies floating around are missing the spine label. It's just not an easy find, and I know I'd never let one go for $15, and I tend to trade out items "below book" in most cases.

I'm not so sure about lowering either Defender or Centipede at all. Although there is at least one large stash of NOS copies (and yes, I've purchased sealed copies at or below $5 apiece as well), taking in the big picture, they are justifiably R3. Neither Centipede nor Defender show up in quantities outside that NOS stash all that much -- far more often than Galaxian or Jungle Hunt, but not nearly so often as I think an R2 game should/would (even taking into account NOS).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

imho this rarity is off by one or too numbers

http://www.digitpress.com/DP/cmf/game.cmf?gameid=12514

it's the Exertainment Double Pack (Mountain Bike Rally / Speed Racer)

this is the game that basically only surfaced sealed from some warehouse stock, right? how many copies were found there?? i can't believe there were more than 100. Compare this with other games, e.g. NWC 1990 (NES), which has 116 copies and is an R10. Shouldn't the Exertainment Double also be a R10 and if not at least an R9??

it also doesn't stand a comparison with other SNES R8s, like Fun N Games with 2000 produced units.

I understand it could be possible that a few thousand of the exertainment cart actually exist somewhere, but i'm pretty sure those are not in circulation (and maybe will never be) and shouldn't the rarity the reflect the actual availability of the game?!?
    -Jan

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

FYI foks, I'm just getting caught up with this thread and have addressed everything mentioned here in the actual database. You won't see the changes immediately but you will see them in the next update scheduled later tonight.

One slight hitch: the PSX guys have the current version of the PSX database - so though I've made some changes on my side, ultimately it will be up to them to change their files as well.

Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

just to add this to my snes complain:

i also think that either the SNES COmp. carts should be raised to R10 (how many actually exist??) or the NWC lowered to R9, i have the feeling those should be in the same category, but maybe i haven't got a clue about US rarity
    -Jan

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    just to add this to my snes complain:

i also think that either the SNES COmp. carts should be raised to R10 (how many actually exist??) or the NWC lowered to R9, i have the feeling those should be in the same category, but maybe i haven't got a clue about US rarity
    No way.

When I went looking for a StarFox and DK Country comp cart, I found them both within two months and didn't pay more than $250 for either (and the DK one was boxed).

They're not even in the same league as the NWC cart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Aren't there like 2500 of each the competition carts or something?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

imho this rarity is off by one or too numbers

http://www.digitpress.com/DP/cmf/game.cmf?gameid=12514

it's the Exertainment Double Pack (Mountain Bike Rally / Speed Racer)

this is the game that basically only surfaced sealed from some warehouse stock, right? how many copies were found there?? i can't believe there were more than 100. Compare this with other games, e.g. NWC 1990 (NES), which has 116 copies and is an R10. Shouldn't the Exertainment Double also be a R10 and if not at least an R9??

it also doesn't stand a comparison with other SNES R8s, like Fun N Games with 2000 produced units.

I understand it could be possible that a few thousand of the exertainment cart actually exist somewhere, but i'm pretty sure those are not in circulation (and maybe will never be) and shouldn't the rarity the reflect the actual availability of the game?!?
    This is not entirely true, my first copy for example was found at a gamestop loose for 4.99. There are many fitness outlets that probably also have copies with the accompanying fitness exertainment equipment, and have seen some on ebay bundled this way

Currently this should remain an R8, with a possibility of moving rarity for the future as more facts and findings come through. No sense in Grailing this until we can solidly prove it.

It's Better to be cautious in cases like this, and remember this is our first attempt at rating SNES, so many things are sure to slide around as we get all the input

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    Aren't there like 2500 of each the competition carts or something?
    well if the number is really anywhere that high than it of course is by far not an R10, sorry

@DNG

ah i didn't know any surfaced in the wild, so maybe they were only distributed to Fitness Outlets, have you tried asking some of the owners of those about it? i agree that if it was actually distributed to those a R8 fits quite good as there are many Fitness Outlets, if it was only marketed to those though and wasn't successfull at all imho a R9 would fit it better, but as you said we should wait and see before we rate it to high....

thinking about this, i know there's not a real borderline between R8 and R9, but how do you decide this? i have about 5 titles in this borderline area for PAL SNES and i was wondering.... also if Fun n Games was really limited to 2000, and R10 goes up to ~200 copies i was wondering if Fun n Games shouldn't already be a R9
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

also if Fun n Games was really limited to 2000, and R10 goes up to ~200 copies i was wondering if Fun n Games shouldn't already be a R9
    Since when did R10 go up to 200 copies?

The FAQ clearly states:
    "R10: Not only is this the centerpiece of a collection, but a ten also means you could be holding a one-of-a-kind (certainly one of no more than a dozen or so)"

ALso, the 2500 figure for the DK Comp Cart is clearly mentioned in it's DB description

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

also if Fun n Games was really limited to 2000, and R10 goes up to ~200 copies i was wondering if Fun n Games shouldn't already be a R9
    Since when did R10 go up to 200 copies?

The FAQ clearly states:
    "R10: Not only is this the centerpiece of a collection, but a ten also means you could be holding a one-of-a-kind (certainly one of no more than a dozen or so)"

ALso, the 2500 figure for the DK Comp Cart is clearly mentioned in it's DB description
    i know the R10 is defined like that in the FAQ, but it's not used like that, see NWC cart, but you're right on the R10 and i haven't had any game in any of my lists i would have even thought about R10, as i said it's more the R8<->R9 decision that's hard for me...
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What games are you unsure about?
    Might be wise starting a PAL SNES thread and getting the considered opinion of other collectors?

Personally speaking, I'd consider games rated R9 to be those that have an extremely limited availability or distribution - the only ones I've assigned on my sections were SMS Smurfs 2 (only 30-40 copies known to be circulating, all found in the Czech Republic) and the PAL Good Deal Games MegaCD releases (around 5 copies of each pressed).

Also, as DNG said above, in cases of real uncertainty it's almost always best to err on the side of caution and give them the lower rating - it can always be changed later if further information surfaces, and that's always preferable than risking over-rating something.

And I know there were at least 116 copies of the NWC '90 manufactured, but that's really the exception rather than the rule - after all, it is one of, if not THE, Holy Grail of videogame collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally speaking, I'd consider games rated R9 to be those that have an extremely limited availability or distribution - the only ones I've assigned on my sections were SMS Smurfs 2 (only 30-40 copies known to be circulating, all found in the Czech Republic) and the PAL Good Deal Games MegaCD releases (around 5 copies of each pressed).
    well, the Mega CD games MUST be R10 with 5 copies per game, no way they are classified as R9!!

the games i'm talking about are actually games only published in one country (either Spain or Italy), so that would make them qualify. i will open up a topic about them but i'm pretty sure it won't really help as one of the games actually wasn't known at all until i found it during snes research
    -Jan

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

A little threadjack here:

I was looking in the Atari section, and I noticed that the Touch Pad was given a R2. Then, I saw that Star Raiders (w/ Touch Pad) was given a R1. Does this mean that Star Raiders is more common than the Touch Pad? Should the Touch Pad be an R1 or R2?
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As owner of quite some Neo Geo Pocket games I have the feeling the rarity-ratings are not real right. Some games are put much to high in rarity while others are much more common. So I give my opinion about what it should be in my humble opinion for every game/ items which is misrated.

Baseball Stars JP R3 EUR R8
    Japanese version is quite easy to find, the English version is really a pain to find (it took me 2 years to find a copy)

Dive Alert (both versions) JP R3, USA R5, EUR R6-7
    I think this game is rarer as most people think, for Europe the rating for Matt's version is completly wrong as they are both hard to find.

Dynamite Slugger JP R4 EUR R6
    European version is much rarer then the Japanese. The Japanese version isn't so rare but need some search to be found.

Evolution JP R4 EUR R7
    Evolution shows up on ebay still quite sometimes, It is one of the rarer games but I think a R7 rating is more reasonable as the game isn't that hard to get if you have the money. Japanese version isn't hard to find, only don't pop-up so much as the game is complete in Japanese

Faselei JP R4 EUR R6
    The Euro version isn't as rare as much people think, it's mainly the reputation of the game which kes it highly sought. So I think a R6 is more reasonable.

Gals Fighter EUR R7
    I think the Euro rating is a bit too low and should be 7.

Magical Drop EUR R6
    Magical drop in the European version is hard to find these days and is for sure much rare then the R4 it's mentioned now.

Mezase! Kanji Ou JP R8
    This game is really hard to find complete boxed and is a R8 for sure

Mizuki Shigeru no Yokai Shashinkan JP R8
    I think R8 is more reasonable as the game is also a hell to find.

Neo Geo Cup '98 Plus EUR R8
    Much harder to find then most people think. It's one of the games the two games I still miss in my NGP-collection.

Neo Poke Pro Yakyuu JP R6
    Japanese version sold much more copies then most people realise, cmore a R6 then R8

Pachinko Hissyou Guide Pocket Parlor JP R9
    Almost impossible game to get, maybe the rarest game on the NGP.

Pocket Reversi EUR R8
    Less rare as people original thought, but still the hardest to find English Color release

Pocket Tennis EUR R8
    Damn this is the other game I still missing, damn hard to catch this game in English version.

Puzzle Link EUR R7
    The first part is much harder to find as part 2 so R7 is much more reasonable.

Puzzle Link 2 EUR R6
    Think it's a bit harder to find this game so maybe a 6

Samurai Shodown EUR R7-R8
    Very hard to find this game, cost me a damn year to find a copy.

Samurai Spirits Special Box JP R5
    Not that rare combination of NGP with SS, shows up once every while.

Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure EUR R3
    Certainly not the most common game, still sold a lot but more R3.

This are my suggestions, so I maybe you can give a reaction.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

In regards to the NGPC titles, I will be doing some adjusting on them anyhow at some point when I return from holiday. Your comments are noted.

Needless to say, the black and white UK titles will be going up in rarity. That's one area I did underestimate in my evaluation (long story here about me being involved with this section) so they will be going up to R7 or R8 levels.

Having said that, I see Samurai Spirits UK b&w fairly often both in people selling and on eBay. That and Pocket Tennis I consider the "easiest" UK b&w titles to get but that's not saying very much. I still need Pocket Tennis myself (have the other four) but I know lots of NGPC collectors with it!

Sonic, to my knowledge is one of the biggest selling NGPC titles with over 100k units. I can find it everywhere. It's definitely not an R3 rarity.

You have to remember that just because titles turn up on eBay frequently, doesn't mean they are less rare. I hardly see Evolution or Faselei for private sale for example. Why? Because everyone knows what they go for and puts in on eBay instead! They are both definitely still some of the hardest UK titles to find.

The equivalent to them on the PS1 for example was the original Dragonball GT. 10k copies, far far less than many other PS1 titles and yet you could still find 4-5 copies on eBay quite often going for big money because people knew its worth. Whereas less publicised "rarer" titles were going for less.

I don't just take eBay to be my source. I take other NGPC collectors and their opinions too.

Dive Alert wise, Matt's version is quite easy to find. Becky's definitely is not. Sales figures I imagine. But I could easily pick up Matt's version UK wise back then and now, but it would take eBay or a lucky private sale to snag Becky. I've been collecting NGPC since 2000 so I've got 5 years worth of searching experience to help me here

So that's staying where it is...

Part of my rarity assessment is based on how many people I know have copies as well. After all, they've gone through the process of hunting down copies as well. To this end, I have seen a few more copies of Pro Yakyuu about so the rarity on that probably will come down a point.

I've seen more complete Ghost Studio than Mezase so GS will probably sit still, and Mezase may go up a point. PlayAsia quite often gets in a copy or two of GS btw if you are still looking for it. It certainly fell in my lap earlier than Mezase. That was one of the last JPN titles I got.

I'm undecided about Pocket Parlor guide. I got my copy EARLY in my collecting career. I know many people after it, but also many people with it. It's one of those marmite entries. Certainly seen more of them in collections than a certain hanafuda title currently ranked R9.

I might drop Pocket Reversi UK to R8. We're still not certain how many are out there in total, last count yielded about 30 complete copies. So it could be somewhere between 50-100. But who knows?

Btw this is my NGPC collection

It's missing NG Cup 98 Plus UK b&w as I got it after these pics were taken...