Thread: Which platforms have had Shmups with TATE-mode/turn tv-mode

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Which platforms have had Shmups with TATE-mode/turn tv-mode

Well, I following the best systems for shmups thread, and then I started to think (which I do on rare occasions..) I love shmups, especially vertical shmups played in TATE-mode.. and so far I've seen shmups with TATE-mode on playstation, saturn, ps2 and ngc..

Has any other platform like snes, megadrive of pcengine had any shmups with TATE-mode realesed for it?
    I did a google, but nothing..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know the Dreamcast has at least one game that has an option to display in TATE-mode. That game would be Gunbird 2.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only know of the PS and Saturn tate shmups. Paging Captain Wrong to topic 56238. Also, you might run a search and/or pose your question at the forums at shmups.com (assuming they're still running--it's been a while since I visited). Those guys? HARD CORE.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

Many of the shooters on the Saturn (and there are many) have a tate mode. Many.

Cheers

Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Which platforms have had Shmups with TATE-mode/turn tv-m

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
    so far I've seen shmups with TATE-mode on playstation, saturn, ps2 and ngc..
    Quote Originally Posted by bargora
    I only know of the PS and Saturn tate shmups.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishsandwich
    Many of the shooters on the Saturn (and there are many) have a tate mode. Many.
    So we're all in agreement! :P
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recently played Raiden Project on the PSX in that mode.

I turned my monitor on the side, but for some reason, it seemed to have a weird blue-ish color on the bottom of the screen, so I switched it back.

It worried me, so I said F it, no need to f up my monitor just to play the game on the side.

However, I think it was the stand that I'm using, which isn't a very stable stand. So I will probably try it again. This is definitely the right way to play vertical shooters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Could someone explain to me what Tate mode is? I don't play shootemups much so I haven't really encontered them. The only Tate I can think of is the combo death thing from Shinobi.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Saturn, PSX, PS2, DC, Xbox (I think, this would be import only, of course, as yes there are a couple import Xbox shmups,) and if the GC port of Ikaruga has it, GC.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Promophile
    Could someone explain to me what Tate mode is? I don't play shootemups much so I haven't really encontered them. The only Tate I can think of is the combo death thing from Shinobi.

Back in the 80's and 90's, vertical shooters in the arcades used a 4:3 arcade monitor turned on it's side. Like taking a TV and turing it on it's side.

Some shooter games actually give you the option to play in this mode. So if you have a game that gives you the option, and if you have a monitor that you can turn on it's side, then you can actually play the game that it was really meant to be played.

It's a pretty dramatic difference.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1

I turned my monitor on the side, but for some reason, it seemed to have a weird blue-ish color on the bottom of the screen, so I switched it back.

It worried me, so I said F it, no need to f up my monitor just to play the game on the side.

However, I think it was the stand that I'm using, which isn't a very stable stand. So I will probably try it again. This is definitely the right way to play vertical shooters.

The bluish discouloration happens on most tvs when they're turned on the side. A way to avoid this problem is to unplug your tv 5 minutes before you turn it, then let it stand on it's side unplugged for 5 minutes more before turning it on. It really works, give it a try.

And yes, tate is the only way to go when playing thoose arcade shmups, as they some of them are originally designed to be played this way. Also it's just a great arcadce feeling to play your favorite shmup this way

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1

The bluish discouloration happens on most tvs when they're turned on the side. A way to avoid this problem is to unplug your tv 5 minutes before you turn it, then let it stand on it's side unplugged for 5 minutes more before turning it on. It really works, give it a try.

And yes, tate is the only way to go when playing thoose arcade shmups, as they some of them are originally designed to be played this way. Also it's just a great arcadce feeling to play your favorite shmup this way

This is a cool site for thoose new to tate in shmups:
    http://turn.to/vertical