View Poll Results: Wich of the 3 current-gen systems wins your vote?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • PS2-Its all about the games and PS2s got that coverd in spades

11 29.73%
  • Xbox-One word power baby! plus Halo and the best looking versions of multiports and Halo put it over the top

13 35.14%
  • Gamecube-Its all about the 1st party exclusives plus I didnt have to buy a new one every couple years to replace my old broken one like the damn PS2

9 24.32%
  • NONE-Retro is king (add lame wanna-be witty comment here)

4 10.81%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: after 5 years wich current-gen system made u a happy gamer?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default after 5 years wich current-gen system made u a happy gamer?

I started out with a PS2 then was very into Xbox for a couple years and even owned a couple Gamecubes at one time but I always seemed to go back to the PS2.
    Sure Weve all heard and read the rants about how faulty and unreliable the PS2's have been I myself have had only one with the dreaded DRE so I guess I count myself lucky even though Im on my third and LAST PS2 the online kit with the IR built in is quite doesnt get hot and works like a champ even though it is not yet a year old.
    Heres why I finally decided on the PS2 as my favorite gaming choice in this Generation.

first:I would constantly find myself picking up a PS2 game everytime I went game hunting even when I owned all 3 current systems at one time.
    There was just so much more choice in the game selection especially when it came to looking at the dismal selection that my once luved Gamecube had to offer.
    Sure I liked my Xbox becuase many of the Multi-ports looked SLIGHTLY better than the PS2 or cube versions but after a couple years the only multiport game that I was really blown away with as far as difference goes was Splinter Cell.
    after a year of owning all 3 major systems I saw my Gamecube collecting dust (until Metroid Prime 2 and RE4 anyway) and my Xbox was gettin a slight glitchy so I would always pick up a few PS2 games and maybe one Xbox or GC game within a months time.

Then there is the fact that all my other friends own PS2's either for themselves or for their kids.
    If I wanted to borrow or trade any games all anyone had was PS2
    then month after month the PS2 would have at least one triple A title being released for it not so often for the Xbox and the Gamecube was turning sloooowly into another N64 wich I NEVER thought that the big N would let happen but it did and was right before my eyes.
    Both the Xbox and the Gamecube had much to offer for CERTAIN types of games but with the PS2 I could play all my favorite PSone games as well as just about everything else except Halo , Zelda and my fav METROID and zelda was stil faaaar away and I never was a very big Halo fan.

Eventually BOTH my Xbox and Gamecube started dust collecting as Their new hobby
    and everytime I would sit down for a gaming session my PS2 would be fired up becuase I had sooo many games to play and many yet to finish or even start.

Then theres the Graphics argument I bought an Xbox for this reason alone I was convinced that it would deliver faaar superior graphics when compared to PS2 and Gamecube and in a very few instances it did just that but not to the point were I was like ok now I dont need a PS2 or GC becuase the Xbox is the chosen one
    I had never been a graphics whore anyway I was just very enthusiastic about what the Xbox might deliver that the other 2 couldnt well in my opinion that never TRULY happened.
    I play games like Metal Gear Solid 3 and Onimusha 3 on PS2 and they look just as beautiful as RE4 on GC or Halo on Xbox even though they are different in artistic aspects.
    Im even surprisingly hopeful for the PS2 port of RE4

In my opinion all of the current-gen systems are great and delivered on MOST of their respective promises (some moreso than others)
    I just wish I would have stuck with one instead of bouncing between the 3 for so long I would have a LOT more PS2 games and it would have been MUCH easier on my wallet

Poll added

also excuse the typo on the Xbox vote ive been awake for like 24 hours

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I own all three, love that I own all 3

Have many favorites for each, picking just one current-gen console that I like is way to hard

I've spent many hours which each since I bought them. PS2 in February 1,2002 and just bought other the slim model last week, for Xbox got it May 24, 2002 and my GameCube August 28, 2002..like I said i'm very happy with all 3, just grateful I can own all 3 as I work many hard hours at my job to earn these

Proud owner of a PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PSP and 3DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly...

Very dissapointed with all three, probably Gamecube but not enough titles, Companies seem they dont try as hard as the golden days.

Honestly. very dissapointed.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

I'd probably have to say PS2 if I HAD to pick ONE. I'm an RPG buff so the choice is easy there, but all 3 of them definitely made me a happy gamer. Halo, Ninja Gaiden, Sega exclusives for Xbox. Resident Evil 4, Zeldas, Metroids, for Gamecube.

I'm VERY pleased with this generation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1. GBA - 2D
    2. GC - quality over quantity
    2. PS2 - RPGs
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PS2 and Gamecube. Though I own alot more games for the PS2 than my cube, which is sad because I love my cube.
    I go online sometimes, but ... everyone's spelling is really bad, and it's ... depressing.

--Tara from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

BEST SITE FOR IMPORTS!
    http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-pfh-71-99.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most definitely the PS2. I've spent the most of amount of playtime on this machine. Gran Turismo 3 A-spec, Auto Modellista, Guilty Gear X, Stuntman, Burnout 2, Space Channel 5 - Part 2 and The King of Fighters 2000-2001 have all been some of my most played titles of this generation - not to mention all the PSX games which get constantly played on my PS2.

It's also served as my DVD player and audio CD player most of the time too.

Plus it's never given me one single 'disc read error'. I've been extremely happy with my PS2.

Second would be Xbox. I haven't really tapped into the machine's full capabilities because 1. I never bothered with the DVD remote and 2. I haven't got Xbox Live.

I have however played Live at my friend's place a lot, and I can safely say that if I ever do get broadband, my Xbox will be played a significant amount more. It's a nice console that I'd like to call my favourite of this generation - but it's hard to say that when the PS2 gets immeasurably more playtime.

Distant third is the GCN. Total lack of games I'm interested in combined with poor software availability has consigned this to dust-collecting. Plus I really hate the controller.

PS2 > Xbox ................>GCN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: after 5 years wich current-gen system made u a happy gam

Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922
    I play games like Metal Gear Solid 3 and Onimusha 3 on PS2 and they look just as beautiful as RE4 on GC or Halo on Xbox even though they are different in artistic aspects.
    WHAT?? Onimusha 3 is nowhere near RE4, Halo ain't near a RE4 too and MGS3 is a few steps away too, there are a few games that can compete with the GC and Xbox graphic highlights (Halo ain't one of the highlights!!) but it's only a handful
    -Jan

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have a PS2, but I want one. I'm waiting to see how well the slim ones last.

Between my GC and Xbox, it's a tie. Both have some good games, but neither has, by itself, any titles that alone would make me a fan of this generation.

Actually, I'll go with the Gamecube. I'm very disappointed with the shoddy construction of the other two systems. I'm not going to blow a hundred bucks on a PS2 that is only going to break down, and my Xbox is giving me errors even though it has already been sent in for repairs twice while it was under warranty.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

online 2d fighters + capabilities of the modded version = xbox win

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Great Puma (Level 12) Chainsaw_Charlie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have all 3 and favor the ps2 over the others
    My rotating want list http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101550

Your television doesn't care how angry you are with it. Turn it off and find something better to do with your time.-Beserker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922
    WHAT?? Onimusha 3 is nowhere near RE4, Halo ain't near a RE4 too and MGS3 is a few steps away too, there are a few games that can compete with the GC and Xbox graphic highlights (Halo ain't one of the highlights!!) but it's only a handful
    First Off I would say that the X-Box is the most graphically sound system. However, their controls are to be desired. But to say that RE4 is better graphically than the halo seires is a HUGE stretch. I like RE4 don't get me wrong, but Halo just has the clearer picture, and more vibrant colors.

I like X-Box b/c they took chances the other 2 didn't (Ex. X-Box Live). and have exclusive titles that are not kiddy in nature (I am not talking about Blinx either) Halo 1 & 2, Ninja Gaiden. KOTOR.

Before you jusmp all over me saying I am an X-Box fan, I have ALL 3 systems and over 50 games for each system, and play ALL three systems ALL the time.

Just my 2 cents

Dig DUg
    Currently Playing:
    X-Box 360: Rock Band, Dark Sector, Orange Box, Mass Effect, Scene IT DVD (360) Bully (360 Version)

Can't wait for Bioshock 2 !!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PS2 is my fav. Shure it has a worse crap to great game ratio, But the amount of titles it has more then makes that up.

Gamecube is a close second I just stated playing it some more and it is a solid system, shame mine appears to be dying.

Xbox what a POS, just a big fat black paper weight. Such ass......
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm happy with all 3. Sure the Gamecube is my favorite, but I've played plenty of great games across the board.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gamecube is King... then it's a balance between PS2 and Xbox : PS2 for th vareityof its games and Xbox for the quality of the hardware (despite a bad design).

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great thread with awesome timing.

I'm not a normal DP member. I have no qualms about dumping huge current gen libraries and systems and switching "allegiances" on the fly.

A) Bought a "Gran Turismo 3 edition" PS2.

B) Bought a Cube at launch. Waited excitedly for Mario Sunshine.

C) Traded in my PS2 and it's library for the Xbox at launch. Waited excitedly for Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic.

D) Mario Sunshine arrived and disappointed the hell out of me.

E) Traded in Cube and library for 2nd PS2. Waited excitedly for the arrival of Gran Turismo 4.

F) Star Wars KotOR arrived and disappointed the hell out of me.

G) Traded in Xbox and library for 2nd Cube.

H) Enjoyed a year of Final Fantasy 11 on my PS2. Gran Turismo 4 arrived and was the biggest single disappointment of my entire time as a gamer.

I) Traded in 2nd PS2 (etremely pimped out....infrared modification, progressive scan modification, upgraded drive, monster-cabled, 40 gig HDDed, hi-spd modemed) and very substantial library for 2nd Xbox.

Still have the 2nd Cube because of the Zelda games that are on it and PSO. Nothing to look forward to on PS2 anymore that I can't live without.

System-wise, I have to admit that the Xbox is actually the one that thrills me the most. It took coming back to each system twice to realize it. Best eye-candy, most utilitarian, the most kick-ass racers and enough RPGs as well. Funny enough......when I bought this Xbox I had so much store credit to spend ($1,000 towards software alone) that I gave KotOR another try out of desperation....and I can't put it down.

I won't get rid of this Cube since I like having the N64 Zelda games on one system and the lure of a new Zelda Cube game (here's hoping) is enough to keep it....along with my high level PSO character. I want to live with just an Xbox until the Xbox 2 comes out, then buy only that system.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would say Gamecube made me most happy out of the three. I played though Super Mario Sunshine, so it's really the only current generation game that I beat from start to finish.
    I also really liked PS2 when THPS 3 came out, but after that ended, I haven't played much PS2 since.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

I have PS2 and GC and the Cube takes it (by a nose). Don't know why really, maybe it's the lower ratio of "good" PS2 games because there are so many! Or maybe I haven't played enough of them yet...

PS2 faves:
    ICO, GTA: San Andreas, Suikoden IV, Silent Hill 3, Katamari Damancy

Cube Faves:
    Metroid Prime, Zelda: Windwaker, Cubivore, Animal Crossing, Beyond Good and Evil

GBA Faves:
    Metroid Fusion, Warioware, Astroboy

Still want to pick up an Xbox at some point...
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PS2, if for just the revival of the Grand Theft Auto series. But to be honest all of the current gen systems have been somewhat dissapointing in their own way.
    I haven't got time for this mickey mouse bullshit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digdug
    First Off I would say that the X-Box is the most graphically sound system. However, their controls are to be desired. But to say that RE4 is better graphically than the halo seires is a HUGE stretch. I like RE4 don't get me wrong, but Halo just has the clearer picture, and more vibrant colors.

I like X-Box b/c they took chances the other 2 didn't (Ex. X-Box Live). and have exclusive titles that are not kiddy in nature (I am not talking about Blinx either) Halo 1 & 2, Ninja Gaiden. KOTOR.

Before you jusmp all over me saying I am an X-Box fan, I have ALL 3 systems and over 50 games for each system, and play ALL three systems ALL the time.

Just my 2 cents

Dig DUg
    did you actually read what i wrote? your post sounds like i discredited the xbox, which i didn't, it has the most games with top notch graphics, i did just say too things

1) both GC and Xbox have games looking better than the PS2 could ever do

2) Halo ain't one of the best looking games out there, you are talking of vibrant colors? hell, since when does the choice of colors have to do with graphic quality. just look at a game like Oddworld, it looks FAR better than both Halo and Halo 2, and RE4 also does look better
    -Jan