Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who here is buying Sega Classic Collection tomorrow? =)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    Sadly, Virtua Racing and Columns get the LEAST appealing upgrades. I honestly didn't notice much of a difference in the PS2 Virtua Racing and the arcade version. I'm not a HUGE fan though, you may see it better than I do.
    As VR has yet to get a really good home port, I'll probably be happy. Although the 32X version added two cars and two new tracks it has some pretty bad popup. I'm a sucker for "early" racing games though (I still like Race Drivin on Import Saturn) so your mileage may vary...

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by slip81
    Everything I hear about this game is bad. The ports are supposed to be really shitty, and since you can get a Genesis and all of those games for around $20, it seems pretty pointless.
    It's not.

The games are considerably better than the Genesis versions. For example, the OutRun game not only has the original arcade game with remixed (much better) graphics but also has a diamond-shaped course where new competitors join the track after each checkpoint. Other games, like Space Harrier and Alien Syndrome add some GREAT power-up options.

Don't deny the game before even trying it - and you should all know better than to believe the often mis-represented reviews of classic gaming compilations.

So there are the original arcade versions of the games included? I'm confused...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't own a PS2, and I already own the Japanese volume 3, but I'm going to get this for my Fantasy Zone collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked it up today...these are my favorites of the bunch:

Fantasy Zone
    Tant R
    Alien Syndrome
    Bonanza Bros

I haven't played Space Harrier yet but I'm sure it's good.

The others games on the comp aren't that great, but they are playable. You really can't complain about the price point either...I'd say I definitely got my money's worth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Virtua Racing is pretty much a straight port.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slip81
    Everything I hear about this game is bad. The ports are supposed to be really shitty, and since you can get a Genesis and all of those games for around $20, it seems pretty pointless.
    It's not.

Don't deny the game before even trying it - and you should all know better than to believe the often mis-represented reviews of classic gaming compilations.
    I was basing my opinion from screen shots I've seen, in which the games looked like the had really poor graphical updates. I usually don't trust reviews, except from people here and Play.

If everyone keeps saying that it's decent I'll try it out, but it will be a rental first.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar
    So there are the original arcade versions of the games included? I'm confused...
    Not exactly.

Imagine the original game ENGINE but with new graphics and sound. Golden Axe is the best example, it IS the arcade game but all the visuals and sound have been updated. Everything, right down to the timing of your four-hit combo, is spot on the arcade.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's it. I'm convinced! I'm picking up a copy today after work!

I'm a sucker for SEGA games, and this comp. looks nice.....

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Found PS trilogy over at Lik-Sang. May 1st maybe?
    http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?cat...ducts_id=6301&
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Imagine the original game ENGINE but with new graphics and sound. Golden Axe is the best example, it IS the arcade game but all the visuals and sound have been updated. Everything, right down to the timing of your four-hit combo, is spot on the arcade.
    Whoah.. that's even better then! I LOVE it when they do that. Again I can get the original in so many formats any time. But I love it when they "skin" a game like that though.. where the gameplay is exactly the same but the graphics have been tweaked. They're just so novel to me

Probably why I loved EmuDX so much.. Welp, I'm off to Toys R Us

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Picked it up today -- they didn't even have a display box out yet at Gamestop. >_> Space Harrier, Fantasy Zone, and Alien Syndrome own me...

I got the spacebeam, yeah...

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Phantasy Star Triliogy has a release date of May 1st. As I said in a recent thread, though, I'll believe it when I get my hands on it. :/

I'll still check out this collection, since remakes are wonderfull.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    Found PS trilogy over at Lik-Sang. May 1st maybe?
    http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?cat...ducts_id=6301&
    Same thing i link eariler silly

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Guys, this has been trashed in every review I've read... I know it's exciting because it's retro, but let's take a step back and look at this for what it really is- a tacky, needless 3D remake of games we've all previously got copies of. You can buy whatever you want, of course, but I definitely think this needs to have a closer look before everyone gets all excited about it.
    Yeah, but for the price I think it's worth checking out if you have a PS2. I would buy it if I still had the system.

Not exactly exciting though. The quality of some of these remakes actually influenced my decision to permanently give up on the PS2 after years of thinking about it.

Though some of them are OK I'm sure.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

They've moved the date for PS Trilogy and the Japanese versions of PS 2 and 4 so many times, Im starting to doubt they will even get released.

And Where's Alex Kidd in Miracle World?!?!

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I picked this up yesterday when I picked up my PSP, and I'm glad I did. Had about a half hour to skim through it yesterday evening, the improvements are great and really enhance the gameplay. The improved graphics aren't even near PS2 quality, but they are smooth. The sound is much better, once you hear Space Harrier, it's gonna kill you to go back to the original. Same with Outrun!

Mini reviews...

Outrun - I've always felt the original was a bit slow. This version really gives you an amazing sense of speed with great graphics to boot. The sound improvements are quite noticeable as well.

Space Harrier - It sounds so...AMAZING. I've always loved the soundtrack to this game, it's been improved ten fold. The graphics on this one are sweet as well, this may very well be my favorite game.

Alien Syndrome - An underrated classic, one of my all time favorite games. The graphic boost on this one is probably the most noteable of all the games. There seems to be more aliens this time, so it's a bit more frantic. Gobs of blood spew everywhere when you kill the aliens, and at the risk of sounding like a hyperactive 12 year old....it's pretty damn cool.

Golden Axe - I don't see why everyone hated this one so much, I thought it was well done. Yeah, it looks a bit cheesy, but I can see myself playing through and enjoying it. Graphics on this one are a bit ugly though.

Columns - I love this game, Columns is an excellent puzzler. On the other hand, I always have, and always will, HATE the music. It's not "puzzle" music, it's "museam" music. I had to cut it off pretty fast, the music was enhanced, so it sounds "better", but that's depending on your definition of "better". Graphics do nothing here, they didn't even need touched.

Virtua Racing - Pretty much arcade perfect, though I don't remember it being this "slippery" on the track. It's been a while since I played though.

Fantasy Zone - I really didn't notice too much of a graphical boost here, but the sound is much better than what I remember though. Still very colorful and very fun. I just can't play it for long periods of time.

Bonanza Brothers - I never played the original, but the graphics here look pretty nice. It's got that "cartoony" look to it. Very fun game though, I wish I had played it when I was younger, i can see it being a "classic favorite" of mine.

I didn't check out Monaco GP or Tant R but I expect them to be excellent as well, just like the rest of the games.

If you haven't bought this yet, do it right away, I want to see Sega pump out more of these. It's only 20.00, so it's not like it's gonna break the bank!

Final Score.... 9/10 (yep, sounds fair to me)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought Sega Classics Collection 2 days ago. I haven't played all the games yet (except to just try 'em out for 2 minutes) but this game is in limited supply and any bigtime SEGA fan will find something to love. Here's some comments, mostly on VR which I've waited a long time for an arcade-worthy port.

Virtua Racing: Any VR fan will LOVE this version. To me, it is the best game on the disc. Far from just a port of the model 1 game (which would still ROCK!), this version has better color and shading, more tracks and runs at a noticeably smooth and satisfying 60fps. And the gameplay feels just right! It's been too long since I played the original but I have played the Genny, 32x (best until now) and Saturn (crappiest) versions so many times. With this version, there is no longer any need to play the Saturn or Genesis versions. The 32x, even at its sub-30fps frame rate, still is a lot of fun and has tracks that are different from these ones.

VR's Gran Prix mode is a real treat because you get 3 extra tracks and can unlock cars like the Prototype and Drift Coup. I laughed at the first unlockable car, "F1 with 70's style acceleration", which means you rocket from 0 to 160 in a few car lengths! But the car isn't quite as fast overall and I haven't placed first on the 6 track 4-laps each) Gran prix with this car yet.

The gran prix shows a couple new courses, which you can also play in free mode. The city level seems VERY close to the 32X VR Deluxe city one, but it looks totally different due to the full polygonal city and roadside is much more "filled in" and complex. There is a new Island and a Canyon track too (different from the 32x desert/canyon one).

What I really like about Virtua Racing is it has harsh penalties for mistakes. If you graze an opponent, you both wipe out, causing nearby opponents to pass you up. This makes the game very challenging and a white-kunckle experience when it comes down to the final lap and you are trying to pass the last 2 cars around curves ... you must be very careful!

Difficulty isn't too hard playing on normal, for me. I breezed through the first Gran Prix race & got 1st place easily. But with the 2nd car, I came only came in 1st place one time. Beat it again with the prototype though. Bump up the music 1 notch to hear it better, play around with those 4 crazy camera angles, enjoy this game!

To this day, I have never seen a racing game with 4 camera views that are so unique from one another. The "high" view is indeed quite high! Half the fun is changing the camera view all the time!

Monaco GP -- At first it doesn't seem like much, but the heavy rock music clips and the booming explosions really harken back to early LOUD videogames. Visuals are nice. It is a vertically scrolling racer, you can't see very far in front of your car, and acceleration / deceleration is controlled (as is steering) by the stick, not buttons! Sometimes it gets dark and your car has a headlights effect -- don't hit opponents, watch out for the speeding emergency vehicles which approach from behind! But horribly noticeable slowdown occurs when more than 3 cars are on-screen (the frame rate doesn't chug, the actual game speed slows down).

Outrun -- haven't played it enough but it seemed a pretty cool retread to me. I don't want an exact port of Outrun, I got that on the Saturn and on Shenmue 1 and 2, and on Outrun 2. I like this "variation" of Outrun.

My kids are playing 2-player Bonanza Bros ... rob banks, shoot cops with little balls, end up in the hoosecow. We also played some 2-player Alien Syndrome. Since you can play Robotron-style, two-sticks for movement + free firing, I found it pretty fun! And gory! Blood spewing from the dead bosses all over the place. HA!

Caf Jr(10 yrs old) is hooked on Fantasy Zone already. He's never played it before and neither have I. It's a very colorful shooter with happy music, well I know it has its fans on this forum.

Frankly, none of these games will get much play until I've had my fill of the EXCELLENT Virtua Racing.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by testament89
    Quote Originally Posted by GaijinPunch
    The list is missing the two best ones though. Phantasy Star and Gain Ground.
    No biggie, Consriracy and sega are going to be releasing Phantasy Star 1,2 and 4 in one single bidget title too. Atleast I hope they're still going to do this.
    Phantasy Star I, II and III have already been released on the GBA http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=914399

Why that collection doesn't include IV makes no sense and why this new collection on the PS2 doesn't include III also makes no sense. It's stupid for companies to do these multi releases and not include everything. Several examples include: Midway Arcade treasures 2 includes Mortal Kombat II & 3 but no Ultimate, MK I is on the bonus disc that came with MK Deception Special Edition, the Midway Arcade treasures collection series is ok though they'll release everything in about 5 versions I think. Sonic Mega Collection doesn't include Sonic CD, this current Sega collection is missing stuff, Nintendo's Zelda Collection didn't include A Link to the Past although that one was free so I'm not complaining. The Japanese Final Fantasy Collection came with FF IV-VI, the North American one came without IV which later came along with Chrono Trigger in another collection, they didn't bother adding Final Fantasy III to FF Origins and that collection should have been 2 seperate discs anyway with less tacky intro screens that should have looked more like the FF IV-VI ones did, FF III is being developed for Nintendo DS right now and should be out by year end. MegaMan Anniversary Collection doesn't include Rockman and Forte or MegaMan and Bass as it's called here. Street Fighter Anniversary Collection Doesn't include Street Fighter 1 and some of Alpha 3 is missing as well. Prince of Persia the Sands of Time should have included Prince of Persia 3D even though it was a bad game. It's just an odd annoying marketing thing I guess.

If anyone knows of any complete retro game compilations I'd like to know about them.
    Why don't you go play in the other room. Why don't you BURN IN HELL!! - Stewie.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default d

They probably diodn't include PS IV on the GBA collection because of memory, budget, or time constraints. I'm sure IV is the hardest to shrink to the GBA Screen. I think when I counted, the GBA screen for PSII was 10x15 "blocks" wide, whereas the Genesis version was 17x21. IV was probably too costly and timely to adapt for emulation (more complex graphically for some scenes).

I ordered the PSII Ages remake last night. Apparently it is released (finally). I'll believe it when it is in my mailbox.

As for the Sega Collection, Wal mart was sold out last night.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

The other BIG differences between the two Phantasy Star Collection versions is that the upcoming PS2 ones are REMAKES.

PS III was never really popular enough to get the remake treatment in Japan, from what I've heard.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion