Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Who here is buying Sega Classic Collection tomorrow? =)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah im afraid I will have to try and pick it up.
    Wolverine

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    That's why I NEVER trust retro reviews in the hands of those in the current-gen game business. They usually miss the point entirely. I know the folks here can be counted on for fair reviews of this kind of title.

I'm glad to see so many people picked it up. You can't afford not to!
    I bought this game a couple of weeks ago, and I've only recently had enough time to play it and give my full opinion.

When I bought it, the guy at EBGames basically tried to talk me out of it. He said that they weren't the same games I'd remember. Whatever. They're better. The only one I have a complaint with is Columns, because I have the Genny cart, and I actually like it better (no version but the original genesis cart ever got the music right for columns. Even the Sega CD version, which should have been identical, screwed it up!)

The reason I drug out this thread, though is because I wanted to comment on the remake of Alien Syndrome. I never really liked Alien Syndrome. I've only played the SMS version when I was a kid, but even then I only really appreciated the game for aesthetic reasons. It's slow, clunky, and because the screen doesn't scroll, it's very confusing and difficult. But the new scrolling screen, dual-joystic control (this being by far the best feature) and all the goopy exploding slimey messes make it a much more enjoyable experience. I'm just amazed that they took liberties like this and made the game BETTER instead of just screwing it up, or just adding a bunch of cinemas and claiming "it's improved!!!!!!!!!" I'm impressed.

Oh, and that Fantasy Zone really is worth the $20 alone.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

First experience with Alien Syndrome is the NES version, I should play with the SMS rom when I get the chance, which I think I have somewhere, to see any differences before I buy Sega Classics Collection.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For real? Man that sucks, the SMS version was the first I ever had. Most of the NES ports Afterburner, Shinobi, etc. Look weird to me. Alien Syndrome is just brilliant and came out during the perfect timing of ALIENS. I'm surprised it didn't catch on well. Xenophobe is always remembered well of course.

Yet I like Alien Syndrome for it's Contra like appearence
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Space Harrier is worth the 20 bucks for this collection ALONE. By far my favorite game.

I also enjoyed Alien Syndrome, Fantasy Zone, and Outrun for the thing. I noticed strangeness though, when I tried to play Virtua Racing and it didn't seem to detect my start or select buttons. Is it because I'm using a PS1 controller or something?
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus
    I noticed strangeness though, when I tried to play Virtua Racing and it didn't seem to detect my start or select buttons. Is it because I'm using a PS1 controller or something?
    Yup, that's it. Virtua Racing Flat Out (the SegaAges remake in Sega Classics Collection) is picky about analog throttle / brake controls. Also if you use a GTForce wheel the start / select buttons go away from time to time as well. You should always play games with the console's base controller, at least to start out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm disappointed with it, however the remake of Outrun was worth the 20 dollars. Hoping to get into Fantasy Zone eventually. Monaco GP was a disappointment, and Virtua Racing's physics are as weak as ever. And the rest I had no interest in so I can't comment on them.

Edit - Stumbled across this thread in 2011 and had to revise what I posted here. I've really fallen in love with several of the updates on this collection since 2005.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 07-14-2011 at 07:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus
    I noticed strangeness though, when I tried to play Virtua Racing and it didn't seem to detect my start or select buttons. Is it because I'm using a PS1 controller or something?
    Yup, that's it. Virtua Racing Flat Out (the SegaAges remake in Sega Classics Collection) is picky about analog throttle / brake controls. Also if you use a GTForce wheel the start / select buttons go away from time to time as well. You should always play games with the console's base controller, at least to start out.
    I would, but the stupid PS2 controller shorted out the first week I had it. I had a buddy's controller do the same on his PS2, so I'm thinking it's just a design flaw. Seems like a recurring theme with the PS2.

Thanks for explaining that, though.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Banana (Level 7) pragmatic insanester's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i want to play the sega ages remake of Fist of the North Star, despite it being shitty (from reviews). it includes the japanese original (called hokuto no ken) which never got a decent rom translation (i own the famicom cart).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it includes the japanese original (called hokuto no ken) which never got a decent rom translation (i own the famicom cart).
    It's basically the same as "Last Battle" but the splats when you kill the bosses are blood red.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you're both confused. The game on the Sega Ages disc is the Mark III game, which is different from both the Famicom and Megadrive games. (it's the one that came out on the SMS as Black Belt)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sega Classics Collection< I picked up this game with the new PS2 and man am I surprised I mean this collection got such bad reviews online and in some of the mags that I held off on it at first but I have enjoyed every game on here especially Space Harrier,Golden Axe, Columns and Virtua Racing.

I luv the updated graphics and music in all of them sure they are not up to par with the latest Splinter Cell or whatever and some look slightly better than an upgraded PSone title but they are exactly what the doctor ordered for this old school gamer.

I really cant recommend this collection enough to anyone who grew up loving Sega at the arcade or on Genesis or both

Ill never take another review on a classics compilation from a mag or online serious again these kids they call "experts"( and I use that term lightly) reviewers are full of shit and complete graphics whores IMOA.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

damn sabre your sig is liek 17 lines

its bigger than your post! wanna cut it down to like 5 or something

as for the review, i actually disliked this collection. simply because i dont like people messing with my games. i liked them the way they were, these so called 'upgrades' made them look like crap, instead of playing a great old game, im playing a crappy new game. oh well, i still have those 2 Midway arcade compilations, thats what i wanna see in my classic bundles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta!
    as for the review, i actually disliked this collection. simply because i dont like people messing with my games. i liked them the way they were, these so called 'upgrades' made them look like crap, instead of playing a great old game, im playing a crappy new game.
    I dig the upgrades. But there's a big caveat to it.. IF I didn't have the originals to play in some other form or other, THEN I would've wanted the originals.

As such.. w/ Mame on the xbox amongst several other resources (including previous console ports of some of those games), I guess it made my mindset a lot more open to seeing the little tweaks they did and made it much more welcome to see some new twists & additions on the original formulas.. even if they were primarily graphic updates.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

i want to play the sega ages remake of Fist of the North Star, despite it being shitty (from reviews). it includes the japanese original (called hokuto no ken) which never got a decent rom translation (i own the famicom cart).
    Same here, man....I wanted this most next to the PS Trilogy and the upcoming Alex Kidd Ages release. I've always been a huge fan of Last Battle, but not the Hokuto No Ken series in particular. I have the Japanese disc and the SMS version include on the disc crashes my system....Might have something to do with my mod chip and such, but I just don't know.

It's basically the same as "Last Battle" but the splats when you kill the bosses are blood red.
    No it isn't. Nothing like Last Battle, unfortunately. Not at all.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!