Thread: Does Ea have a new policy regarding game manuals?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Does Ea have a new policy regarding game manuals?

Hello
    Sorry for this rant but I picked up fight night round 2 yesterday and I was looking for the instruction manual it was turned around in the case what I thought was a ad insert turned out to be the manual. When I got home I pulled the last few releases by Ea and checked the manuals out and with exception of madden most were small 10 -12 pages and without real substance. Am I the only one who noticed this? Some will say it is the game that counts but I just feel that these Ea manuals are really cheap and created without consumer input. What's next manuals on the disk? I just think EA is being way to cheap and greedy. They charge $49.99 for most games they should at least include decent instruction manual. I must say that for the most part I always have taken instruction manuals for granted but I will be wacthing closer. I hope that other companies don't become this cheap. Once again sorry for the rant.
    neo geo system

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

I think this is an industry trend, not just EA. I bought GT4 recently and the manual was pretty small and lacking in substance. In fact, there's a lot in the game that isn't explained in the manual (what are the A-spec points? what are these driving assistance settings?) Compare that to the massive two part manual GT2 had a few years ago.

I think it's just another way companies are trying to squeeze a few more pennies profit out of each release. Either that or they've been noticing that people don't seem to have that much of a problem buying used games at EB/Gamestop without the manuals and figure gamers don't care about that kind of stuff anymore.

That and it doesn't hurt that damn near every game released these days has it's own "official" strategy guide. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if people started buying more of those.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, you need to buy a strategy guide to get a print copy of what you can do in a game nowadays... Soooo many manuals are missing a very large chunk of what's needed.

But from another point of view.... the large majority of games feature some type of tutorial in the beginning (skippable or not) that introduces you to most, if not all of the features.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    Either that or they've been noticing that people don't seem to have that much of a problem buying used games at EB/Gamestop without the manuals and figure gamers don't care about that kind of stuff anymore.
    I just had a hideous vision of a future where all new games are sold pre-scratched in empty generic CD jewelcases. Well, not entirely empty--there's a scrap of paper included with the name of the game scrawled on it in black marker...
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    I think this is an industry trend, not just EA.
    Seconded.

Check this thread for similar experiences with many current gen games:
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55927

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

haha, people actually read instructions?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by alexkidd2000
    I haven't read them in years, but I used to enjoy poring over the manual before I started a new game (I get new games at too fast a clip to do that now).

Actually, I'm surprised they bother with manuals at all now. They could just put them into PDF type files and put them on the discs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Reading the instructions on the way home from renting a game used to make me more happy then playing games do now. Ahh, to be a kid again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Milano
    That and it doesn't hurt that damn near every game released these days has it's own "official" strategy guide. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if people started buying more of those.
    Ding Ding Ding!

Other than Fighting games, I think strategy guides are a waste of money. Hopefully kind samaritans will keep writing FAQs for free, or I'll need to change my tune...

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I usually don't, but I got FIFA 2005 the other day and it also had a very small manual. Problem is that there's no place in it which explains the abbreviations used in the stat screens.

Thing that's odd/maddening is that they have full credit listings and ads, but can't even put in gameplay -related stuff.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

I've always adored Nintendo's own game manuals, always bright and full of color. I don't think I've ever seen a Nintendo game manual less than 30 pages long either.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So....I wasn't imagining things!

I've also noticed that the instruction manuals these days are rather scant regarding information. Several times I've wondered about something regarding an Xbox game and the info is nowhere to be found in the pack in manuals.

And yeah....that GT4 manual was particularly bad......but then, I found that the game wasn't that great either.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can see why they don't do it though, as has been stated, noone actually reads the game manual usually, and all of the controls, setup, info, and tutorials are in game now.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Slightly aged bump.

But I just had to say God of War has one of the nicest manuals I've seen in a while. Glossy, glossy paper, nice art, very thorough, and thick.

dave

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Biafra Riot

I think packaged in general gets worse toward the end of a console's lifetime.

Genesis started with nice color instructions in clamshell cases and turned to crappy newspaper-esque instructions in shitty paper boxes.

N64 instructions started with full color covers and slowly went almost entirely to plain yellow with game title covers.

Recently while browsing through my PS2 collection, I realised that launch - 2002 instuctions are in general color while many of my newer game instructions and B&W. I think I remember PSX games following the same cycle.