Thread: SPLIT: Tangent of 'How to Make Games for Girls'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Default SPLIT: Tangent of 'How to Make Games for Girls'

Quote Originally Posted by poloplayr
    I simply do not believe that girls as a group are interested in gaming. period.
    Sure there are some girl gamers but the average girl does not enjoy gaming anywhere near how much the average guy does. There is a reason for this. And it is not about the games' character and what type of games that are out there. It is because girls and boys are different. Girls like dolls and boys like toy guns. Guys are competitive by nature and girls are not.
    I got flamed by a certain someone here for posting this.

The curious thing is, when I was a kid in the 1970s, we were forever being brainwashed by what would be called the "politically correct" about how, when women entered the (whatever) in large numbers, such as the Government, there would be no war (yes- we were actually told this!), blah blah blah.

Yet, mention that boys and girls are different, and you get ranting straight out of the British comic "Millie Tant."

So, the contradiction. On the one hand, boys and girls are the same- so, how then will women getting in business and politics change anything? Nobody ever had an answer to that question, once we were old enough to start figuring these things out.

Yet, they are different when convenient.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aswald
    Quote Originally Posted by poloplayr
    I simply do not believe that girls as a group are interested in gaming. period.
    Sure there are some girl gamers but the average girl does not enjoy gaming anywhere near how much the average guy does. There is a reason for this. And it is not about the games' character and what type of games that are out there. It is because girls and boys are different. Girls like dolls and boys like toy guns. Guys are competitive by nature and girls are not.
    I got flamed by a certain someone here for posting this.
    So... the women's NCAA basketball tournament is useless because women aren't competitive?

I played with dolls as a kid, and I'm a boy. I like videogames too.

Statistics show that women are a growing demographic in videogames, and in many categories, overtake men in this category.

Why are we even arguing about this? Do you all think it's THAT bad of an idea to try and skew the industry towards women?

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Boy, they got you trained real good, don't they?

I simply said that boys and girls are different, and that I got flamed for saying it. When did I mention anything about basketball? If you knew anything about me, you'd know that I couldn't care less about professional sports, for one thing.

This is what I mean- I'm not the radical or extremist; everyone else is. Read my post again, and then your reply.

And as for your "growing demographic"- I've got a 1983 book that made that claim. This is 2005, 22 years later. Figure it out.

For people who go on and on about "diversity," you seem terrified and enraged at the mention of any differences.

As for the origin of modern feminism- try reading a book called "The First Sex," by Elizabeth Davis. Among the insane claims is the one that men are a sort of freakish mutation: the Y-chromosome is a "stunted X-chromosome." That this somehow occurred in almost all animal species is one question that's never answered. There is an advantage to being 38: you remember these things, and have access to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Boy, they got you trained real good, don't they?

I simply said that boys and girls are different, and that I got flamed for saying it. When did I mention anything about basketball? If you knew anything about me, you'd know that I couldn't care less about professional sports, for one thing
    I want to know who "they" are.

boys and girls ARE different, obviously. However making a blanket statement saying that women aren't competitive, period is stupid. I was simply pointing that out.

The women's NCAA tournament is a competitive tournement, featuring women players. Therefore, a contradiction to prove the point false. It doesn't matter if you care about sports, women's sports exist. It's just there.

-AG
    -AB+

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

And when- please read this reeeeaaal carefully- did I mention anything about "competetiveness?" And for all the forced hype, women's professional sports is not doing that well. This is largely due to the fact that people are getting fed up with professional sports, period: greed, misbehavior, not caring about the fans, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Re-read your quoting, where you said you were flamed for saying something similar to what poloplyer said. In essence, you're saying that meant that you agreed. His point was that Women won't game, because they aren't competitive.

Go ahead. Read.

-AG
    -AB+

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

If you want to make video games for girls, you have to ignore the (mostly Baby-Boomer aged) feminists, and find out what they want. Girls DO NOT want blast-a-thons, for example. And it's doubtful that most will really want DOA: Extreme Beach Volleyball- let's face it, the selling point of that game was NOT volleyball itself.

Games like Animal Crossings appear to be fairly popular with many boys, and girls. So there are "common" games, such as Bejeweled.

Again, I am 38. I was around in the beginning of this "boys and girls are the same" routine.

Now, as a 38 year-old who looks more like 45, I look at things today. They are NOT better.

And in any case, who the hell wants their girls to spend even MORE time in front of the television or monitor? It sure as hell hasn't helped the male half.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Who exactly are the feminists? I'd just like to know exactly whose opinions it is we're discrediting. Cause it seems to me it's just a dirty word you like to throw around when a girl doesn't agree with you.

And before you get all huffy, let me point out I searched the word for the word "feminist" with the exception of the handful of people whom have been replying to your posts. you're the only person on the video game division of the forum to use the phrase. And you use it quite a bit lately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If you want to make video games for girls, you have to ignore the (mostly Baby-Boomer aged) feminists, and find out what they want. Girls DO NOT want blast-a-thons, for example. And it's doubtful that most will really want DOA: Extreme Beach Volleyball- let's face it, the selling point of that game was NOT volleyball itself.
    Whoops. Ask most women what they thought of DOA:XBV and you'll notice... they're the ones playing it longer than the men. Think about it, yes there's bikini-clad women, but under the initial layer you have a dating/volleyball sim. In my time at gamestop I sold many more copies of DOA to women gamers than to men.

And in any case, who the hell wants their girls to spend even MORE time in front of the television or monitor? It sure as hell hasn't helped the male half.
    Then why are you here?

...seriously.

-AG
    -AB+

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG
    Re-read your quoting, where you said you were flamed for saying something similar to what poloplyer said. In essence, you're saying that meant that you agreed. His point was that Women won't game, because they aren't competitive.

Go ahead. Read.

-AG
    I said "Boys and girls are different." This was in an earlier thread. This was simply a similar statement.

Apparently, they do have you trained reall good. They being the feminists, racemongers, and the like. If you want to actually learn something, try this-

Look at what happened during Woodstock 1969, which they forever glorify. Then, ask yourself what they would say if the same thing had happened today, by their modern definitions. Yet, somehow, they are not guilty of having done anything wrong (so, back then a drugged-out girl could give consent?).

You are NOT being enlightened by any of this. For all of this "progress" we did not have back then, kids did NOT go gunning down people in schools. The random and meaningless viloence- even the drug lords and soldiers terrorizing the streets of the 1980s had some motive (profit)- did not exist back then. And the sort of violence these 1960s liberals went against- spousal abuse, siring kids and running off, etc.- has, if anything, gotten worse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Good question:

Here's a good answer:

"I'm only here a few hours a week. And I only play a couple of hours of CV or the like a day, tops."

It's the difference between eating and eating so much you become hopelessy fat. I, for one, would NOT allow my kids to spend 6+ hours a day in front of the screen. Not to flog this to death, but as a 38-year old, you do NOT want to waste your youth, so you look back and say "if only..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is directed at both Aswald and Adam....

Who are the "They" that we are tlaking about?
    Or do all women think exactly the same? Being a male, I cannot answer that of course. Although, I do notice that my wife watches a lot of television, while past women I dated liked to go jogging with me.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JJNova
    This is directed at both Aswald and Adam....

Or do all women think exactly the same? Being a male, I cannot answer that of course. Although, I do notice that my wife watches a lot of television, while past women I dated liked to go jogging with me.....
    I'm hoping for a straight answer on that too. I'd like to know who brainwashed me exactly. Apparently it's 1960's liberalism. I'm 22, thanks.

-AG
    -AB+

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by JJNova
    After reading Aswald's second to the last post... I think he's using they as a substitute for liberals.

Which is really getting way off tangent for a thread about games girls would enjoy playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

All right, here it is:

There are 2 generations after the Baby Boomers, not that you'd know this from the media (except when a school shooting occurs, of course).

For most of mine (the elder), and all of the later, we have had feminists, racemongers, and their right-wing equivalents, telling us what to think, and to do.

I am simply fed up with it. I am fed up with being called a monster (it was really bad back in college in 1990). I am fed up with us being used as social guinea pigs.

Boys and girls are NOT the same. Period. No respectable anthropologist has ever found any evidence of this. And I resent feminists on the one hand who insist this is true, yet point out differences when it suits them ("If women were in charge, there'd be no wars!"). Therefore, you do not simply program more of the same, and MAKE (i.e. force) girls "like" them. It's why She-Ra was popular with girls, more so than He-Man.

Rhiannon tried, and had they gotten more support, could have done something good. Today, they would have been crucified. So much for freedom of choice. But those games, from what I saw, were easily the equal of any RPG geared for boys of the same age.