Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I took a major gamble on a Neo Geo CD system

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I took a major gamble on a Neo Geo CD system

Man, I hope my gamble pays off. I bought a Neo Geo system for $45. Sweet deal right? Well......

The little catch, is that the guy is in Malaysia. Shipping it by Sea is going to be $42 freaking dollars, and I won't get the package for 2 1/2 months.

So in actuality, I'm paying a total of $87 for the Neo Geo CD system, and I won't get the thing for almost 3 months.

And then to add insult to injury, it's possible the thing won't even work. The guy "convienently" didn't have a power cord or a video cord for it, and he didn't have any games, so he couldn't test it.

Now, when you see auctions like that, most people stay real, real far away from that type of stuff. But alot of times I gamble on stuff like that. Usually, the item ends up working and it turns out to be a great deal, but one time I got a dead Atari Jaguar. That was another "as is" auction.

Anyways, I guess in late June I'll find out.

Oh, by the way, what kind of power adapter does a Neo Geo CD need? As for video cable, well, you know I don't need that.... It will be custom R.G.B. cable all the way baby!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

did you really get a deal??

no power cord (gotta buy one)
    no av cord (gotta buy one)
    no games (gotta buy at least one if you want to test it)

dont know if you got a controller, box, styro, instructions

plus you have to wait forever.............was it really a deal?
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Hey guys, I just bought this sweet used car, sight unseen, from a local salvage yard. It may or may not work, but it was only a couple hundred bucks! No 8-track player like it originally came with, but I'll manage. Can't wait!

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Neo Geo CD sucks. I'm glad I sold it for about 160 bucks after I played a couple shooters on it and got tired of waiting a minute between KOF98 matches.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought about getting an NGCD but in the end I just ended up biting the bullet (costwise) and going with some of the (relatively) less ridiculous carts.

There are some games that are way too expensive on carts of course (Pulstar and Metal Slug for instance) and I refuse to go the illicit route personally.

I could play the cd games in an emulator but I really just don't enjoy playing games not on the original hardware.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

Dude for like $120 shipped (in 5-7 days) you could have got a Neo-Geo CD 2 from Japangamestock.com. They have great service and guarantee all of their stuff. I've ordered over $400 worth of stuff from them and it is all in near mint to mint condition and gets to your house fast.

Ugg, NEVER ship sea man. I ordered a bunch of swords and had them delivered via ship. Every single sword was F'ed up from the saltwater (all rusty and brittle). I learned my lesson, hope it all works out good for you. If it's not to late have him ship it differently.

You might as wll have Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang deliver it as opposed to captain Ahab and his trusty sea vessel.

What ever happened with that kid who was selling you his TG-16 CD-Rom unit? If he didn't send it (or doesnt within a week or so) make sure to make it public here so none of us get burned by him.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dude for like $120 shipped (in 5-7 days) you could have got a Neo-Geo CD 2 from Japangamestock.com. They have great service and guarantee all of their stuff. I've ordered over $400 worth of stuff from them and it is all in near mint to mint condition and gets to your house fast.
    Maybe I'll do that when I have some spare cash. I could never afford Pulstar, MSlug 1 on cart, that's for sure.

That's the only reason I can think of for getting the thing.

I had been wondering how their service was. Thanks for the tip.

I have done okay with shipment from all kinds of places but I not with sea shipping.

I thought about buying an untested Marty once, but that would have been EMS shipping from Japan....

Good luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

Quote Originally Posted by DrWily008
    Wow, I'd never heard of this place - great stuff! Thanks.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -hellvin-
    Neo Geo CD sucks. I'm glad I sold it for about 160 bucks after I played a couple shooters on it and got tired of waiting a minute between KOF98 matches.
    I have to totally disagree. Neo Geo CD is great. I am figuring your dislike because of the wait-times. However, that is resolved if you use the dreamcast emulator. Some CD games like RB2 have new options that are not on the AES/MVS counterparts.

To the topic of this thread. As stated previously-Anthony1, man you should have really thought about ALL of your INDIRECT costs before making a purchase. Indirect costs being Shipping Time, Added Accessories, At least one game, and the fact that it may not even work. Factor that in with the price and I'm sure you could have gotten a better package deal from a forum member either on neo-geo.com or here in the U.S.

IN FACT, as I mentioned earlier in this post, you don't even NEED a console to play the games, as long as you have the ORIGINAL Neo Geo CD games, you can play them on your dreamcast.

Hope everything works out for you.
    There Can Be Only One!
    ---AWESOME TRADERS---
    maxlords, vintagegamecrazy, [-Sentinel-], Rugal, vision89, stargate, gamergary, Nick, Zmweasel

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn. Looks like I F'd up on this one.

Oh, well. Live and Learn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ugg, NEVER ship sea man. I ordered a bunch of swords and had them delivered via ship. Every single sword was F'ed up from the saltwater (all rusty and brittle). I learned my lesson, hope it all works out good for you. If it's not to late have him ship it differently.
    Could such a fate not be avoided with proper packaging?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    Could such a fate not be avoided with proper packaging?
    I really dont know, but they were in a nice box with lots of tape. I mean no one who sends via sea is going to vaccum seal the package. The thing is is that they (the swords) don't have a single moving part, it's a piece of steel forged into a blade. But a cd-rom based video game system, man that's scary.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The guy is actually shipping it in two boxes. He's going to package it up in one box, and the put that box in another box.

But still, it sounds very bad to me. Damn, I wish he didn't ship it already, but I'm sure he has already shipped. I'm going to try to email him right away.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Biafra Riot

I hope the best for you but I wouldn't get your hopes up man. I've done gambles on ebay and it was always 75/25 my favor. Of course on my gambles I've allways tried to find dumbasses who had no clue of what they were selling

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FurinkanianFrood
    Maybe I'll do that when I have some spare cash. I could never afford Pulstar, MSlug 1 on cart, that's for sure.
    What!? MS and Pulstar can be had for cheap on, MVS i know i didn't pay a fortune when i got them lose.

Any ways the most you get out the, NeoGeo CD is arrange sound tracks and art gallery etc.

Btw: I still feel MVS or nothing if your on a budget

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why not ship with EMS? Sure, its more expencive, but it only takes a few days + its insured

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You might as wll have Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang deliver it as opposed to captain Ahab and his trusty sea vessel.
    Hah! Quote of the week!

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    Why not ship with EMS? Sure, its more expencive, but it only takes a few days + its insured

Well, the price for EMS shipping was almost like $100 or so. So then the price is about $150, and for $150, I would have just bought one from a better source.

Bottom line is that I blew it, and I probably threw $87 into the wind. Oh well, shiznit happens. Whenever stuff like this happens, I just think of it like I had $87 in my wallet and I lost my wallet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Is it me, or am I having complete deja vu from when Anthony1 bought his projector?

First he posted about what a good deal he got.

Then he posted about how he thought he had got ripped off.

Then there were a bunch of posts about how much money he had lost.

Eventually, the projector arrived and it was all over.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    Is it me, or am I having complete deja vu from when Anthony1 bought his projector?

First he posted about what a good deal he got.

Then he posted about how he thought he had got ripped off.

Then there were a bunch of posts about how much money he had lost.

Eventually, the projector arrived and it was all over.

I hope you're right. I hope that I eventually get this thing, and it actually works.

The reason you are having Deja Vu is because I'm the type that likes to gamble, and often times I've actually been quite lucky, and I've gotten stuff for below market value and the things actually end up working. Of course, this isn't always the case. I bought a bare bones Atari Jaguar, in a "as is" auction, and the unit is dead as a door nail. Fortunately, that was only a $20 loss.