Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Official PSP Thread!

Hey, because lots of people are going to be playing or buying this today on launch day - or thereabouts, please post your opinions on the system, the games, launch day in general, or anything else PSP related HERE.

This will eliminate the dozens of threads we'd likely see otherwise

PS I don't want to see any flaming in here. Or else!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Official PSP Launch Day Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    PS I don't want to see any flaming in here. Or else!
    Buy a DS!!! jk

Can't wait to see my brothers' I am envious of those of you who can drop that much on a portable. oh well i probably pick one up on the third or fourth run of them. can we see some pics of those out there who got one? what was the atmosphere like? anyone have the disk popping out thing happen?
    if you can read this congratulations!! you can read

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the people that have gotten theirs already, did you get Ridge Racers as part of the pack?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I did the trade in thing at Gamerush. They were giving $5 extra per title on top of trade in values, so I took advantage of it and cleaned out my collection of stuff I'd never play. Got enough in trade for it and 3 games, plus some leftover.

I'm a bit concerned about the dead pixel issue; I've checked on IGN, PlayStation.com, and gamefaqs(I know, I know), and they each have large threads dedicated to dead pixels. :/

Still, I'm excited to go get mine after I get off work and try out Lumines, Untold Legends, and Need for Speed.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got mine today. None of the launch titles interest me too much, so I have Tales of Eternia in the mail. Shoul dbe here tomorrow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i too am anxious to see how many people picked one up today and how the games play. Also, I can't wait to hear how good the analog stick does work? The only game that looks any good to me, really good, is Twisted metal, espcially since it's online, I wanna see how good it works online!

I unfortunately won't be getting one until the price on everything goes WAY DOWN. That also unfortunately probably won't be for a couple years, but that's alright.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I don't plan on getting one but I'm working tonight at FYE so I'm gonna findout how many total sales we get on it during cleanup tonight.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

This is the first time since the release of the ps1 that I will not go get a system on its lauch day. I just cant see paying 250 for the psp. That and all my game time has been going to GT4 and Halo2. I'm curious as to how good the PSP is, as I'll probably pick one up in a few months.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

what does it come with for memory wise? 32MB card?

Are there larger ones for purchase?

I was thinking about getting an Ipod but, if this thing can do MP3s.........

#vbender

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Picked up mine this morning, WELL worth 250.00, hell.....it's worth more than that really. But anyways, no time to chat, I'm off to PLAY!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just got mine this morning too...definitely worth the cost (even though I did a bunch of tradeins to cut the price down).

Only spent a few minutes with Ridge Racer and Wipeout, but I don't see where all the gripes were about the analog nub on it...sure, it's not as nice as a dual shock, but it's not hard to adapt to. Much easier than trying to play Ridge Racer DS with that damn wrist strap

It comes with a 32MB card, but I think you can buy up to a 1 gig card ($100+ as I remember). Depending on how much you listen to, it may or may not be a good iPod replacement. As someone who has more CDs than games, I could never replace my 30 gig iPod though.

Ridge Racer plays like a dream, it's sort of a 'best of' compilation with tracks from Ridge Racer, RR Revolution, Rage Racer, R4, and Rave Racer (my favorite, oh how I've missed those tracks!). Plus, for true old schoolness, you can play New Rally X on load.

Wipeout feels like a hybrid of XL and 3, which is a very good thing. The graphic design isn't as good as those two, but it far surpasses that dog Wipeout Fusion. Anyway, back to playing!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shvnsth
    PSN
    shvnsth
    Steam
    shvnsth

picked up wipeout, twisted metal, metal gear, and ridge racer

this is a very beautiful system, and all its accesories cept for the case are cool looking, very sanitary looking

the screen is awesome

buy one, its worth it, and it will own the ds, as much as i love nintendo
    Formerly known as "umich."

collection/buy/sell: https://tinyurl.com/shvnsth

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

So are the PSP launch titles pretty rehases of other PS2 titles?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only rehashes I can think of are Darkstalkers and Tony Hawk Underground.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    So are the PSP launch titles pretty rehases of other PS2 titles?
    Ape Escape: On the Loose looks and plays pretty much like a Dreamcast bleem! version of the original Ape Escape, which is cool with me, as I loved the original.

I'm exchanging my PSP for another one later today, as the one I picked up last night has five dead pixels and what appears to be dust (?!) on the inside of the screen.

-- Z.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love my PSP, I was the first one at GameStop last night. Pretty soon a crowd started gathering, and me and a couple others just talked about games and such for about an hour.

Unfortunately, I have 3 dead pixels. Fortunately, GameStop just called telling me they have an extra PSP we can swap out later.

As for the games, WOW. Ridge Racer is absolutely stunning, I still don't believe it is a handheld. I haven't played much of Metal Gear Ac!d, but from what I have played so far, it is stunning as well, if not a little boring.

I also picked up a blue slipcover, since the PSP is very shiny. I really recommend buying one of these, the PSP is very prone to scratches and fingerprints.

Quote Originally Posted by Putney
    Plus, for true old schoolness, you can play New Rally X on load.
    Heh, I found playing this for at least 10 minutes.

My final though: Well worth the 250.

Strawberry (Level 2) Beefy Hits's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Picked it up at midnight last night, and am very impressed with it.

2 dead pixels, barely noticeable only during black loading screens.

I hate how you have to use the remote control in order to use the headphones! On a side note though, the headphones are good quality, better than token iPod headphones.

I had to read the manual to figure out how to turn the thing off.

I don't see myself using the battery pack much as the instruction book says it lasts 3-5 hours playing games on one charge. The battery pack will eventually wear out and need to be replaced. Good thing you can plug it into the wall and play it that way. I play it mostly at home anyway.

Games:

Lumines: Seemed very difficult at first, but I'm getting better and better at it and love it! I play this game the most. For those of you who don't know, Lumines is done by the creator of Rez. It's a puzzle/music game where the music changes depending on how well you do.

Metal Gear Acid: Nice graphics, but only had time to play 20 minutes worth. It's like a metal gear game, only you play with cards. I have a feeling rumors of non-randomness will make this game less than what it could be.

Wipe Out Pure: Fun game. Kinda easy tho - I unlocked the first three sets of tracks on my first try and got 2nd in the tournament mode. DOesn't quite have the style and panache of XL. Graphics aren't what I expected. Would have been nice if they would have introduced the music track and artist before the race like in XL.

Too bad there really aren't many games coming out soon for the PSP, but at least the launch lineup is strong.
    You don't have to be smart, you don't have to have all the facts, you just have to be confident.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy Hits
    I hate how you have to use the remote control in order to use the headphones! On a side note though, the headphones are good quality, better than token iPod headphones.
    I plugged the included earbuds straight into the PSP and adjusted the volume with the buttons on the hardware. No remote required. Hell, I didn't have time to tear open the remote bag before I noticed the dead pixels.

-- Z.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got mine at Best Buy this morning at 8am. There were around 30 people ahead of me, and by the time I left there were maybe 10-15 more people behind me. I got Twisted Metal and Darkstalkers since you got a $10 gift card if you bought 2 games. Also got the screen protector thing. Went with the 2 year replacement plan for an extra $40 since it's possible a variety of things can go wrong with a device like this. And I can return it for a new one before the 2 years is up even if not much is wrong with it. And if it's cheaper than $250 at that time (which it will be) they give you the difference (in cash or store credit, i'm not sure which)

Haven't got to play it yet since the boss is here today...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I need to hold off on mine, since I am currently strapped for cash (as well as need money for a date), but I ddi get the chance to hold one.

My god that thing is SHINY. Looks like a mini-convertable with a new wax finish.

The dead pixel issue seems pretty large, I'll keep tabs to see if I can figure out a ratio on the systems.

I wanna play Ridge Racers!