Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Official PSP Thread!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey! Here's a question I have been meaning to ask.

Why is it the screenshots on Lik-Sang show the menu as being blue rather than green?

Is there a way to change it? The PSP has the coolest, nicest, smoothest looking splash screen to menu transition I've ever seen, I'd love to be able to customize the color though. Green's nice, blue's also, but I'd love to be able to pick a color. Like red or orange.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I assume alot of people have seen my rant about having to return my PSP three times. Today, just as I said I would, I went to get another one for the third time. I looked at 5 different PSP's and they all had minor defects. Either screen blemishes or dead pixels. I finally settled on keeping my two-dead pixel unit, and raising a big commotion at Sony.

So here I sit with a unit I am unhappy with. I mean the store really tried to help me they broke open 5, count em five, PSP's for me to look at. They even took one out of a different box of 20 units(I think it was 20) hoping that it would have less defects. No chance.

Concluding, having seen at least 6 units, including the original one that had dust all up in it (I should have just kept that one and blown it out the dust if that was even possible), I am so over launch days for new systems.

The only thing keeping me civil right now is two beers and tiredness.

Laters :/

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    In the computer industry, a failure rate of 5-6% on LCD monitors would have been an insanely good rate a few years ago. Personally, I'd bet it was really quite a bit higher, and most of the people just didn't see it as a problem.
    What's the current failure rate (and by failure, I assume we're talking about one or more dead pixels) of LCD monitors?
    From my own experience -- and while this is only my observation, I see TONS of LCD monitors at work and will only say this based on those numbers (probably 250 within the last year) -- I would say that the amount that have dead pixels are currently around 10%.

Also, as I've stated before, I'm overly sensitive to dead pixels, and I always check them. I know for a fact that most normal users don't even notice them, because of the ones that I have found, I've probably only sent back 1/3rd as the users say they don't see it, so they don't care.

So the actual failure rate is about 10%, but the amount of monitors I've sent back is around 3%.

Sony is well known in the LCD monitor business for two things -- having a high rate of failure and for having some the best looking monitors on the market for the price.
    Is the first thing (heh) statistically bolstered by studies or polls, or monitor-geek anecdotal "evidence"?
    Just my evidence from my own experiences and speaking with others. When I went searching for my monitor, I was told that Sony was the company to look for (when I bought it, it was one of only a handful of LCD monitors with a DVI in, another thing I was really looking for), but be prepared to return them if dead pixels bothered me. In looking at reviews at the time and more recently to help with some higher-end LCD purchases for work, it seems like Sony monitors have a higher rate of people complaining about their pixels. I've also been told this by people "in the industry" for various things.

All that I know is that personally, I believe it. For the price, it seems to me like the PSP screen is an excellent screen. But I think that when you pay that little for something with so much quality, you sacrifice a little bit of quality assurance.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco

Why is it the screenshots on Lik-Sang show the menu as being blue rather than green?

Is there a way to change it? The PSP has the coolest, nicest, smoothest looking splash screen to menu transition I've ever seen, I'd love to be able to customize the color though. Green's nice, blue's also, but I'd love to be able to pick a color. Like red or orange.
    Quoting the PSP manual:

"When the month changes or if you change the month under 'Date & Time Settings,' the background color will change automatically."

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your definition of "original" works for me. And I don't think anyone denies that Lumines is the best original PSP game, or that most of the PSP launch games are extensions of existing franchises--which is pretty much what you'd expect from launch games. Nintendo has brought or is bringing all of its 20-year-old franchises to the DS, so are you as annoyed with that system's library as you are with the PSP's?
    yes, i am annoyed, sega stole nintendo's thunder in the early 90's with original games, and sony took over the industry on the back of original titles. im not saying there is no room for sequels, but there has to be a good mix of original material. This is a knock on modern gaming as much as it is a knock on the PSP or the DS.

It's not an innovation, but it's the nature of optical media, and the UMD format certainly moves videogame portables forward in terms of storage capacity at affordable prices. A 1.8GB cart certainly wouldn't clock in at $40-$50.
    the biggest upsides to optical media are price and storage. But UMDs are proprietary as any cartridge, meaning that Sony manufactures all the discs and gets a bigger cut of money as opposed to standard CD or DVD roms. first party games are 40 bucks, and third party games are 50. it remains to be seen what the price point will be for greatest hits and budget titles, but my guess would 30. thus the price advantage of optical media this time around is null

the other upside of higher storage sounds great, but how many games truly take advantage of the extra capacity to enhance gameplay? most of the data on modern games arent polygons and AI, it is FMVs, and music. on a console these features are great (especially on a huge TV with surround sound), but the effect on a handheld (even with a great screen) is greatly diminished. plus, loading and playing FMVs or audio directly from the disc sucks down battery life, but thats another bullet point.

Many of the PSP games thus far are actually very well-suited to brief play sessions. Sony has talked numerous times about making sure its PSP titles can be played in short spurts. Also, basically every PSP game thus far allows you to put the system into sleep mode and resume gameplay from where you left off, or save your game at any time, or both. If the battery runs low, you just sleep/save, recharge, and resume.
    sleep mode is nice, but its an emergency measure that skirts the real issue. what fun is a game system if the battery dies on me, sure i wont lose my progress, but im SOL until i get home.

the battery itself seems to be fine, reports say that if you are playing mp3 files from a memory stick, you can get 12 hours out of the battery. it goes back to the decision to use optical media. if sony wasnt so dead set on making the PSP a movie player, solid state media couldve been used for games, and the cost of the unit, and its battery life and load times wouldve been much better.

Looking at a DP forum poll and thinking it reflects North American PSP defect rates as a whole is a little bit crazy.
    even if you cut the rate in half, you still have a very high number of bad units. in the past, bad consoles were defined by the lack of abuse it could take (NES, Brickboy, original PSX), but with the PS2 and the PSP, machines are broken out of the package at a higher rate

What numbers are you quoting? Where are you finding PSPs sitting on store shelves? Are you citing anecdotal "evidence" or actual sales statistics, which won't be available for a while yet?
    there are no hard numbers to quote, and Sony will certainly spin the initial sales report, but i go by a few observations

- PSPs are still readily available
    - news reports on launch day said PSPs would be in short supply and sony expected to sell 1 million units "within a few days"
    - retailers had low supply measures in place, such as 1 system per customer rules
    - both sony and retailers positioned the PSP in a bundle package, banking on high demand and limited supply. both parties wanted to squeeze extra profit from what was expected to be a slam dunk launch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quoting the PSP manual:

"When the month changes or if you change the month under 'Date & Time Settings,' the background color will change automatically."

-- Z.
    Whoa! That's cool! I wonder if it's random or set by month. I gotta go check this out! I didn't read the whole thing , it's so huge. Even just the English section.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm cranking out a series of sample clips at various audio/video settings, and I'll share the results here when I'm done, if anyone cares. :)

-- Z.
    I just DLed version 1.1 of PSP Video 9, which has a new "Profile Picker" feature that gives estimated filesizes for video/audio settings. That'll save me some work. :)

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    It's the launch, "original" games aren't going to push sales. Tony Hawk, NFL Street, Ridge Racer....big name games....THAT'S gonna push sales. Give it a little time for the original games come out.
    on the contrary, "killer apps" that sell systems are almost always original games

VCS - Space Invaders
    NES - Super Mario Bros
    Game Boy - Tetris
    Genesis - Sonic the Hedgehog
    SNES - Street Fighter II

Welcome to the world of CD Roms, where you can fit bigger games, CD quality music and movies, and an overall cheaper and larger capacity media compared to carts. Without UMD media, PSP wouldn't look HALF as good as it does
    i made the point before, solid state media can produce the exact same graphics as UMD discs. music can be compressed, and FMV movies are totally pointless on a handheld. UMD were used so Sony can push yet another proprietary format that few people will use.

you get 4-6 hours! that is not BRIEF. I wasn't flaming you either, I was making a statement, not directly at you or at anyone.
    4-6 is not 8-10, and with a rechargeable battery, you do not have the option of bringing a couple extra AA batteries for a quick change if you run out of power at an inopportune time. you are stuck until you find an outlet

I've said it once and I'll say it again...a few dead pixels that you cannot even notice unless you have a black screen and are in a dim lighted room is NOT defective. We can have perfect screens.....and we can pay 800.00.
    250 is already a high price for a handheld, there should be a higher standard of quality, than there is for an 80 dollar GBASP. but its not even equal.

Actually, the number of PSP's sitting on store shelves would show that IT'S HORRIBLE TO LAUNCH A SYSTEM IN MARCH! People are broke, they spent out at Christmas time, most everyone's already gotten back (and spent) their tax checkes as well. We'll see how things churn out in December though, when you can't find em anywhere....and their hitting 500.00 on eBay.
    maybe that will be one of the excuses sony will give us with their initial sales report. but i still think price is the number one keep away factor. time will tell

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

bah, double post

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid
    yes, i am annoyed, sega stole nintendo's thunder in the early 90's with original games, and sony took over the industry on the back of original titles. im not saying there is no room for sequels, but there has to be a good mix of original material. This is a knock on modern gaming as much as it is a knock on the PSP or the DS.
    Fair enough. Unfortunately, game-development costs have reached the point where no one can afford to innovate, but that's a whole 'nuther topic.

the biggest upsides to optical media are price and storage. But UMDs are proprietary as any cartridge, meaning that Sony manufactures all the discs and gets a bigger cut of money as opposed to standard CD or DVD roms. first party games are 40 bucks, and third party games are 50. it remains to be seen what the price point will be for greatest hits and budget titles, but my guess would 30. thus the price advantage of optical media this time around is null
    Not all third-party games are $50; Lumines, for example, is $40.

the other upside of higher storage sounds great, but how many games truly take advantage of the extra capacity to enhance gameplay? most of the data on modern games arent polygons and AI, it is FMVs, and music. on a console these features are great (especially on a huge TV with surround sound), but the effect on a handheld (even with a great screen) is greatly diminished. plus, loading and playing FMVs or audio directly from the disc sucks down battery life, but thats another bullet point.
    This sounds more like another knock on modern gaming as opposed to a PSP-specific complaint. In any case, Lumines is a good example of a game that benefits from the UMD, packed with high-quality tunage that both enhances and is tied into the gameplay.

sleep mode is nice, but its an emergency measure that skirts the real issue. what fun is a game system if the battery dies on me, sure i wont lose my progress, but im SOL until i get home.
    This complaint applies to every handheld system ever, except that the PSP (and DS) offer sleep mode to make the outta-juice experience as painless as possible.

the battery itself seems to be fine, reports say that if you are playing mp3 files from a memory stick, you can get 12 hours out of the battery. it goes back to the decision to use optical media. if sony wasnt so dead set on making the PSP a movie player, solid state media couldve been used for games, and the cost of the unit, and its battery life and load times wouldve been much better.
    This isn't a complaint about the PSP, but Sony's decision to make the PSP into a multimedia doohickey. And I'm very glad Sony went with the "Walkman of the 21st century" approach; the PSP's movie-playback capability is friggin' fantastic, and I've had almost as much fun goofing around with that aspect as with the games themselves.

DVD playback certainly didn't hurt the PS2 (especially in Japan), and the PSP's non-gaming functions certainly won't hurt it. Even Nintendo has realized this, hence the DS's forthcoming PDA functions.

Also, the PSP *does* support solid-state media in the form of the MS Duo, which geeks are already joyfully exploiting; see the slashdot link earlier in this giga-thread.

there are no hard numbers to quote, and Sony will certainly spin the initial sales report, but i go by a few observations

- PSPs are still readily available
    - news reports on launch day said PSPs would be in short supply and sony expected to sell 1 million units "within a few days"
    - retailers had low supply measures in place, such as 1 system per customer rules
    - both sony and retailers positioned the PSP in a bundle package, banking on high demand and limited supply. both parties wanted to squeeze extra profit from what was expected to be a slam dunk launch.
    I don't disagree with any but your first observation, which I have to assume is referring to online PSPs; I don't know that anyone in any region of the country can easily locate a PSP at a local retailer.

Did retailers expect too much of an off-season, holiday-weekend launch? Seems like it. And Sony will surely cite sell-in numbers instead of sell-though numbers. But what would you consider a "flop" of a launch? Half a million PSPs sold through in the first week? A quarter-million?

-- Z.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the contrary, "killer apps" that sell systems are almost always original games

VCS - Space Invaders
    NES - Super Mario Bros
    Game Boy - Tetris
    Genesis - Sonic the Hedgehog
    SNES - Street Fighter II
    Space Invaders and Street Fighter II were ports of coin-op hits, not original games, and Tetris was already established as a hit on the PC before it appeared as a Game Boy title. Those games don't strengthen your argument.

i made the point before, solid state media can produce the exact same graphics as UMD discs. music can be compressed, and FMV movies are totally pointless on a handheld. UMD were used so Sony can push yet another proprietary format that few people will use.
    Have you actually looked at the PSP's screen for any length of time? :) It's pretty much a mini-HDTV. Movies look absolutely incredible on it. Spider-Man 2 is amazing. Even homebrewed PSP Video 9 clips look pretty damn good.

4-6 is not 8-10, and with a rechargeable battery, you do not have the option of bringing a couple extra AA batteries for a quick change if you run out of power at an inopportune time. you are stuck until you find an outlet
    I'm okay with Sony leaving out AA battery support in order to keep the PSP's design as sexy and streamlined as possible. And $20 gets you an external AA battery pack or rechargeable battery, which you should buy if you're traveling so much that you're away from a power outlet for 8 to 10 hours at a time.

250 is already a high price for a handheld, there should be a higher standard of quality, than there is for an 80 dollar GBASP. but its not even equal.
    As Dan pointed out earlier, all screens of this nature are prone to dead pixels, not just the PSP's.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This sounds more like another knock on modern gaming as opposed to a PSP-specific complaint. In any case, Lumines is a good example of a game that benefits from the UMD, packed with high-quality tunage that both enhances and is tied into the gameplay.
    high quailty tunage can be done on solid state, compressing songs to a format similar to mp3 wouldn't require the space of a UMD

This complaint applies to every handheld system ever, except that the PSP (and DS) offer sleep mode to make the outta-juice experience as painless as possible.
    not entirely, a built in rechargeable battery cant be switched on the fly like a set of AAs.

This isn't a complaint about the PSP, but Sony's decision to make the PSP into a multimedia doohickey. And I'm very glad Sony went with the "Walkman of the 21st century" approach; the PSP's movie-playback capability is friggin' fantastic, and I've had almost as much fun goofing around with that aspect as with the games themselves.
    the problem with convergence generally is that the extra functions are rarely up to snuff with dedicated devices. in the case of PSP's video playback, if sony had simply had a video out function on the unit, then it would've been in a much stronger position in the portable video player arena.

DVD playback certainly didn't hurt the PS2 (especially in Japan), and the PSP's non-gaming functions certainly won't hurt it. Even Nintendo has realized this, hence the DS's forthcoming PDA functions.
    DVDs are a standard format, UMDs are bound to be second class

Also, the PSP *does* support solid-state media in the form of the MS Duo, which geeks are already joyfully exploiting; see the slashdot link earlier in this giga-thread.
    the hackability of a game machine will always propel sales, once games can be ripped to memory sticks, and we start to see homebrew and emulators running on the PSP, things will get very interesting. though the DS also has its fair share of funtime vulnerabilities

I don't disagree with any but your first observation, which I have to assume is referring to online PSPs; I don't know that anyone in any region of the country can easily locate a PSP at a local retailer.

Did retailers expect too much of an off-season, holiday-weekend launch? Seems like it. And Sony will surely cite sell-in numbers instead of sell-though numbers. But what would you consider a "flop" of a launch? Half a million PSPs sold through in the first week? A quarter-million?
    i dont set sony's goals, the PSP isnt going to die in a month, but im bold enough to assume that sony and many retailers did not meet their goals with the launch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The battery compartment on the PSP opens without the use of tools. So yes, it IS as easy as changing AA batteries. Except easier because it's one battery rather than fumbling with 2 or more AA's and trying to get them in right.

The DS of course requires a screw driver.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The battery compartment on the PSP opens without the use of tools. So yes, it IS as easy as changing AA batteries. Except easier because it's one battery rather than fumbling with 2 or more AA's and trying to get them in right.

The DS of course requires a screw driver.
    i dont see too many people buying a second battery for the PSP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was replying to your
    not entirely, a built in rechargeable battery cant be switched on the fly like a set of AAs.
    Also, who says people won't buy second batteries? Yeah, yeah. I know, still Someone out there might.

I for one am more interested in that Pelican thingy.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

high quailty tunage can be done on solid state, compressing songs to a format similar to mp3 wouldn't require the space of a UMD
    Until someone releases a DS game with as much quality and variety of music as Lumines, I have to disagree with you.

But there's very little difference between carrying around a four-pack of AA batteries and carrying around an external battery pack. Pelican's PSP Power Brick is as tiny and as light as a AA four-pack.

the problem with convergence generally is that the extra functions are rarely up to snuff with dedicated devices. in the case of PSP's video playback, if sony had simply had a video out function on th
    e unit, then it would've been in a much stronger position in the portable video player arena.
    I assume you mean a video in function, but that would've added jacks and cost to the PSP, not to mention wounding its sexy profile. And, hey, perhaps Sony will release a PSP cable that allows for video input.

DVDs are a standard format, UMDs are bound to be second class
    It's hard to tell at this point, although there's no question that Sony's previous proprietary formats have flopped. I've spoken with more people who are impressed with the UMD's size and quality than aren't--mostly casual/non-gamers, exactly the folks Sony is targeting.

i dont set sony's goals, the PSP isnt going to die in a month, but im bold enough to assume that sony and many retailers did not meet their goals with the launch.
    I know you didn't set their goals, but what I'm asking is if you consider the PSP launch to be a failure if Sony fell even slightly short of a million units sold in, or sold through, or whatever. What's your personal definition?

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But there's very little difference between carrying around a four-pack of AA batteries and carrying around an external battery pack. Pelican's PSP Power Brick is as tiny and as light as a AA four-pack.
    but a four pack of AA's do not need to be physically attached to a unit. extra cables and wires severely upset the portability of any handheld device

I assume you mean a video in function, but that would've added jacks and cost to the PSP, not to mention wounding its sexy profile. And, hey, perhaps Sony will release a PSP cable that allows for video input.
    i did mean video out. portable DVD players, camcorders, laptop computers, and other devices can be easily hooked to a standard television for viewing. in the case of DV camcorders, a three-tiered 1/8" jack allows for video out. that would not require any additional ports

a video in function would also be cool, but a PC seems to be better suited for the dirty work of video compression.

It's hard to tell at this point, although there's no question that Sony's previous proprietary formats have flopped. I've spoken with more people who are impressed with the UMD's size and quality than aren't--mostly casual/non-gamers, exactly the folks Sony is targeting.
    if that is going to happen, then UMDs will have to expand beyond the PSP. UMD playback on sony DVD players would be a good start.

I know you didn't set their goals, but what I'm asking is if you consider the PSP launch to be a failure if Sony fell even slightly short of a million units sold in, or sold through, or whatever. What's your personal definition?
    again, im not sony, and we will never know what their goals were, but i have to think that they expected the launch to follow the example of the PS2 and the JPN PSP. if I were running the company, i would be satisfied, but i dont have the global domination mentality of a corporate executive.

btw, this has been a very good exchange... if this were say IGN, things wouldve gone to crap by now

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

but a four pack of AA's do not need to be physically attached to a unit.

extra cables and wires severely upset the portability of any handheld device
    The Power Brick actually recharges the PSP's own battery, so you can disconnect the PB after the PSP has been replenished.

As for "upsetting the portability," what exactly do you mean? How does stuffing the Power Brick into a jacket or pants pocket make the PSP any less portable? How does a single thin cable ruin the experience of playing the PSP in a car or on an airplane--especially when it's a backup power source, not a primary one?

I expect that the vast majority of portable gamers don't play for six hours at a stretch, and I assume Sony and Nintendo felt the same way when designing the PSP and DS without AA battery slots. This issue is only going to be a concern for a tiny minority, and that minority can purchase (for the PSP, anyway) a small, affordable external battery pack.

i did mean video out. portable DVD players, camcorders, laptop computers, and other devices can be easily hooked to a standard television for viewing. in the case of DV camcorders, a three-tiered 1/8" jack allows for video out. that would not require any additional ports
    Why would you want to hook up the PSP to an external video source when its own screen is better than most anything you could hook it up to?

I could see this working as a Super Game Boy-style function, but not for video playback. UMD discs aren't meant to be played back on standard TVs, but on self-contained screen-sporting portable devices such as the PSP. It would be defeating the purpose of the format to play back UMDs on large-screen TVs.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Power Brick actually recharges the PSP's own battery, so you can disconnect the PB after the PSP has been replenished.

As for "upsetting the portability," what exactly do you mean? How does stuffing the Power Brick into a jacket or pants pocket make the PSP any less portable? How does a single thin cable ruin the experience of playing the PSP in a car or on an airplane--especially when it's a backup power source, not a primary one?
    i didnt realize that, i thought that it was only useful if it was attached to the system

Why would you want to hook up the PSP to an external video source when its own screen is better than most anything you could hook it up to?

I could see this working as a Super Game Boy-style function, but not for video playback. UMD discs aren't meant to be played back on standard TVs, but on self-contained screen-sporting portable devices such as the PSP. It would be defeating the purpose of the format to play back UMDs on large-screen TVs.
    that is limiting the function of a UMD and it doesnt address video or photos ripped to memory cards. even the ipod photo has video out for slide shows. there are some portable video players on the market, but none have really broken through as the leader, the PSP could've opened a door for sony

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I was really hoping we could avoid the "atrocities of the PSP" in this thread, which should be a celebration by the system's owners.

If it MUST continue I'll split the topic and let you guys duke it out.

PS I love this thing.